Author Topic: Is 3D just hype?  (Read 11713 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: Is 3D just hype?
« Reply #60 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 03:04 AM »
Update:

I bought a Measy X5 3D Media Player. This player renders SBS movies like 3D BDs.  Syempre not the same quality but the rendition is the same. Parang BD vs MKV.  The edges of your TV is well defined just like when playing 3D BDs. No more ghosting/crosstalk in SBS files. Before, I was contemplating in erasing all of my 3D SBS movies  but with this player I decided to keep them. With this player pwede ng 3D SBS. 

3D ROCKS!!!

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #61 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 04:03 AM »
hwag mo dele
Update:

I bought a Measy X5 3D Media Player. This player renders SBS movies like 3D BDs.  Syempre not the same quality but the rendition is the same. Parang BD vs MKV.  The edges of your TV is well defined just like when playing 3D BDs. No more ghosting/crosstalk in SBS files. Before, I was contemplating in erasing all of my 3D SBS movies  but with this player I decided to keep them. With this player pwede ng 3D SBS. 

3D ROCKS!!!

hwag mo e delete doc, sayang sa kuryente pag DL :)

SBS and Top-Bottom (or Over-Under) is just half the resolution of Full HD 3D or FHD3D. kaya mas maganda talaga ang bluray panoorin.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2012 at 04:05 AM by GneW »

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 04:04 AM »
hwag mo dele
hwag mo delete 3D ISO doc, sayang sa kuryente pag DL :)

SBS and Top-Bottom (or Over-Under) is just half the resolution of Full HD 3D or FHD3D. kaya mas maganda talaga ang bluray panoorin.

Tama lalo na yung kuha talaga sa real 3D camera hindi yung from 2D converted sa 3D.  >:D >:D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 07:55 AM »
hwag mo dele
hwag mo e delete doc, sayang sa kuryente pag DL :)

It's just like 1080p vs 720p in your display pero in 3D. Most of my mkvs are in 720p naman and ok sya sa plasma ko. So I can live with SBS. Pag PJ, iba ng usapan yun.

Tama lalo na yung kuha talaga sa real 3D camera hindi yung from 2D converted sa 3D.  >:D >:D

Tama ka dyan!  Kaya dapat piliin lang ang material.  The converted 3D videos lack the depth and the "pop".  Exception nalang ang Titanic 3D.  ;)

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Oct 05, 2012 at 08:04 PM »
It's just like 1080p vs 720p in your display pero in 3D. Most of my mkvs are in 720p naman and ok sya sa plasma ko. So I can live with SBS. Pag PJ, iba ng usapan yun.

Tama ka dyan!  Kaya dapat piliin lang ang material.  The converted 3D videos lack the depth and the "pop".  Exception nalang ang Titanic 3D.  ;)

Is alang sagot jan di nila gagawin ang bluray 3D if wala talaga pag kakaiba.  >:D >:D

One more thing hindi full screen ung sa sbs sa kaliwa and kanan na part may black bars na kaunti.  O0 O0
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2012 at 08:50 PM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #65 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 03:51 AM »
I was watching BBC news yesterday, and the new ultra HD tv's were the topic of discussion.  They also featured the Sony 8k prototype, which they forecast to be released in 7 years time.  In the discussion, they mentioned that the 3D hype did not pickup tv sales as what the manufacturers were expecting, so they are now banking on the ultra HD resolution (4k) as possibly the next big leap that will propel more sales.

What was interesting was that when they featured the 8k resolution Sony TV which has a screen size of 80+ inch, the comment that the field reporter mentioned was that the clarity is so life-like and is much better than 3D.  And from what they were showing, even though I'm just using a 720p plasma screen, you can really see the great picture quality of the 8k tv.  With this development, I think that eventually the ultra HD resolution tv's will make 3D insignificant.
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #66 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 04:19 AM »
I was watching BBC news yesterday, and the new ultra HD tv's were the topic of discussion.  They also featured the Sony 8k prototype, which they forecast to be released in 7 years time.  In the discussion, they mentioned that the 3D hype did not pickup tv sales as what the manufacturers were expecting, so they are now banking on the ultra HD resolution (4k) as possibly the next big leap that will propel more sales.

What was interesting was that when they featured the 8k resolution Sony TV which has a screen size of 80+ inch, the comment that the field reporter mentioned was that the clarity is so life-like and is much better than 3D.  And from what they were showing, even though I'm just using a 720p plasma screen, you can really see the great picture quality of the 8k tv.  With this development, I think that eventually the ultra HD resolution tv's will make 3D insignificant.

That being said, makers can always allow the use of passive 3D on those 4K panels so that buyers won't feel that they're missing something. Most (if not all) 84" 4k TVs right now use LG panels, and those panels are actually used for passive 3D by LG.

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #67 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 08:52 AM »
I guess up to now, 3D is still evolving and hopefully just one technology will prevail. With its lots of variety, comes the problem of interconnectivity.
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline audioremixx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jul 21, 2013 at 06:52 AM »
mga sir, pls favor naman po... ano po na ang proper 3d settings para mag pop-out po yung 3d effect niya? maraming salamat po! LG 42la6130 po ang unit ko.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jul 21, 2013 at 06:59 AM »
mga sir, pls favor naman po... ano po na ang proper 3d settings para mag pop-out po yung 3d effect niya? maraming salamat po! LG 42la6130 po ang unit ko.

Wala settings yan nasa movie yan best niyan test ka bluray 3D movie. Dapat yung movie mo 3D din.
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jul 21, 2013 at 09:30 AM »

There are 3D TVs where you can adjust the depth level.  Check if your TV has that feature.  Pag wala baka sa player meron and just experiment which setting you'd prefer.

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #71 on: Jul 22, 2013 at 08:33 AM »

from what I understand, "pop-out" is just a trick and depende yan sa movie kung may pop-out effect. Journey 2 has a few of those "pop-out" effects. Hansel and Gretel as well. But movies like The Avengers, Pirates of the Caribbean 4, etc, do not have that effect. What you'll see instead is "depth". I have my settings for my 3D LG tv set at automatic lang.

Offline bravoexo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 05:27 PM »
Most of the movies I've recently been buying all have 3D it seems...  latest are The Hobbit, Wreck it Ralph, and Hotel Transelvania... however we've all watched it not in 3D for some reason... :)  (i'll have to find time to watch the 3d versions I guess)
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #73 on: Aug 24, 2013 at 08:36 PM »
Guys just one issue on 3d files. The LG 3dtv can play a 3d file directly from a USB. Now, if I play the same file to a NON-3D Media player that is connected to the LG 3dtv will the same 3d tv effect play on the tv? thanks guys
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline nmeuvdast8

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Aug 27, 2013 at 04:48 PM »
for me, its nice to have but not a necessity since we have the same problem - watching 3D gives me a headache. if I'm to choose only one between Smart TV and 3D, I'd choose the former because of DLNA (since I own a NAS) capability - plays content from my NAS without any additional devices. also, most Smart TVs already have apps that enables you to control and stream from your TV to your handheld devices which makes them even better.

as for compatibility, this is also a major hurdle in 3D. most 3D glasses are only usable on other manufacturer's models if both manufacturers are licensee of the same 3D Group (i.e. using the same 3D glasses technology).

take Epson and Panasonic - both their active glasses can be used with either of these manufacturers since they are both licensee of the Full HD 3D Glasses Initiative (at least the IR version of their glasses, but for the newer RF glasses, not sure).

another dilemma for 3D is the maturity of the technology. case in point, from Columbia's post...
I had a series 7 Samsung 3D tv bought last Dec. 2010 and their active shutter glass are IR connected to the tv. Samsung's newer 3D tv uses bluetooth technology.. Even Samsung's compatibility of their old and new 3D tv is a question,IMHO...

same manufacturer different interface used. since its still new, interface for the glasses and the display device (Active 3D) might keep on changing to improve the communication between these devices (IR is LOS so it suffers from "signal blocking" thats where RF comes in). who knows, maybe the next iteration would be WIFI or NFC glasses

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 27, 2013 at 05:24 PM »
Guys just one issue on 3d files. The LG 3dtv can play a 3d file directly from a USB. Now, if I play the same file to a NON-3D Media player that is connected to the LG 3dtv will the same 3d tv effect play on the tv? thanks guys

Yes, the 3DTV will display 3D even if the media player is not 3D-capable.

All you need is the 3D capability on the TV.  The non-3D media player sends an SBS (side-by-side) picture to the TV as is, then the TV converts the SBS picture to 3D.

from what I understand, "pop-out" is just a trick and depende yan sa movie kung may pop-out effect. Journey 2 has a few of those "pop-out" effects. Hansel and Gretel as well. But movies like The Avengers, Pirates of the Caribbean 4, etc, do not have that effect. What you'll see instead is "depth". I have my settings for my 3D LG tv set at automatic lang.

That's right.  Pop-out and depth should both be present in a 3D movie, but these days, more emphasis is placed on depth.

Bakit?  Kasi nakokornihan na sila sa pop-out ngayon.  May movies na bagay ang pop-out, such as in animation and fantasy.  But if the director wants a more serious tone, he places more emphasis on depth, kasi pag masyadong maraming pop-out, it looks gimmicky and cheesy. 

Take Prometheus for example.  Pag dinamihan ang pop-out doon, magiging kenkoy ang dating, samantalang seryosong-seryoso ang tema ng movie.

Just like stereo music recordings.  When stereo was new, masyadong exaggerated ang stereo effect.  For example, I Saw Her Standing There by The Beatles had vocals on the right channel only.  Cool na cool yon noon, kasi may high-tech "wow" factor.  Later, nabaduyan ang tao sa exaggerated effect, and preferred a more natural stereo sound.

Ganon din ang 3D.  We are now moving to more natural styles of 3D rendition.

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2013 at 05:44 PM by barrister »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #76 on: Aug 27, 2013 at 06:16 PM »

Yes, the 3DTV will display 3D even if the media player is not 3D-capable.

All you need is the 3D capability on the TV.  The non-3D media player sends an SBS (side-by-side) picture to the TV as is, then the TV converts the SBS picture to 3D.

yes, this is true, i have tried it with my popcorn A-100. the problem is when reading the on-screen menu when 3D is activated on the display, ma duduling ka sa pagbabasa ng display.

the advantage of a 3d NMT is using BD ISO 3d files, automatic sya switch to 3D without pressing SBS or TAB sa remote. wala din issue reading the on screen menu.

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Sep 04, 2013 at 08:37 PM »
Hi, i dont know if this has been asked before but will a 3d blu-ray, display 3d to a non-3d blu-ray player (if it does, will it affect the lens?) to a 3d capable tv without any issues? Tia.

Offline Columbia

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 817
« Reply #78 on: Sep 04, 2013 at 09:05 PM »
Hi, i dont know if this has been asked before but will a 3d blu-ray, display 3d to a non-3d blu-ray player (if it does, will it affect the lens?) to a 3d capable tv without any issues? Tia.

Nope.. the non-3D BD player will prompt you that it will not play the disc.
Columbia

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Sep 04, 2013 at 11:10 PM »
Nope.. the non-3D BD player will prompt you that it will not play the disc.

Ok thanks, definitely would need to get a 3D bdp.