Author Topic: Bose Speakers  (Read 197270 times)

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bose Speakers
« Reply #210 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 01:14 PM »
My brother gave me his bose accoustimass 3 about 2 years ago since he upgraded his surrounds to mission speakers. I wasn't into pinoydvd then and just dreamt of having those cute 5.1 cubed speakers being sold at the appliance centers. My previous ht set-up was a nextabse dvd player connected to my sony mini-component with matching stands for my big bookshelf speakers. This was what I was looking for since my wife was expecting our first born and was afraid that our kid would have an accident with the bookshelf speaker when he grows up. As expected from a newbie, I was very happy with the bose setup (using the sony mini-compo as my amp)thinking how could 2 cubed speakers could sound so loud and good. About a month or two after that, I connected my sony speakers with my old pioneer mini compo and started listening to my cd's, I then noticed that after the initial awe of having the bose, the sony bookshelfs are even better. Tried to switch back to my old set-up but wifey liked the bose set-up better mainly due to the limited space in our room. Just sharing my experience with bose.

I assume your wife preveailed over you on the use of BOSE!  ;D

Once I tried inviting one of my friend to have a listen with my system the classic Halllelujah Chorus Concert . . . his answer was, why, do yoou have BOSE sound at home already.  ???   So I changed the topic.  ;D I dont have the Rongxin 89dv that time that will sound better than BOSE!  ;D
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline Chito C.

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #211 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 01:44 PM »
I assume your wife preveailed over you on the use of BOSE! ;D

Nope! Upgraded to daichi euros 8 speakers last month (funny thing when I said "upgraded" when the speaker I bought is cheaper (5k only) than the bose set). Was forced to do it coz I wasn't satisfied with my set-up. Wifey initially balked at the size of the speakers but is now satisfied with it even telling me that she could hear sounds not heard before.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 05:14 PM »
Nope! Upgraded to daichi euros 8 speakers last month (funny thing when I said "upgraded" when the speaker I bought is cheaper (5k only) than the bose set).

You upgrade to improve the sound.  Not necessarily to spend more.   ;D  Though most of the time, it will require more. 

If you still have a 1978 Sony Betamax costing P20,000 at that time (when the exchange rate was only 1: 4) getting a Nextbase DVD player now would be an upgrade.  At a ridiculous fraction of the selling price of that Betamax converted to today's value.   ;D

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #213 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 10:42 AM »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 12:12 PM »
There's an anecdote on the net I came across in the past that stuck in my mind.  It's about a filthy rich man and his speakers and goes something like this:

I have Wilson Audio speakers for the master's bedroom.  Coincident Triumphs for the den.  B&W  for the kid's playroom.  Missions for the butler.  Alpine and Nakamichis for the cars.  And BOSE for the dog house.  Among the occupants in my large house,  only the dogs can't appreciate the sounds coming from their speakers.  Bose apparently can't reproduce the 15khz and up commands recorded from a dog whistle training CD.  I eventually upgraded to Boston satellites at half the price.   The bose cubes made excellent chew toys for the puppies though.   
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2005 at 05:34 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 01:26 PM »
harharharhar.....!!!!

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #216 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 02:19 PM »
Actually, dapat yata nating suportahan itong speaker na ito kasi ang materials na ginamit ay Manila Hemp.  Tama nga ba ako ???

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #217 on: Mar 18, 2005 at 08:11 PM »
mga bro,

meron kasi akong bose accousstimas 10 series III, me problema ba kung ikabit ko for the meantime ito sa marantz sr7500 or yamaha rx-v1500. please help.. eventually papalitan ko rin ito pag me funds na ulit...thanks

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Mar 19, 2005 at 05:29 AM »
mga bro,

meron kasi akong bose accousstimas 10 series III, me problema ba kung ikabit ko for the meantime ito sa marantz sr7500 or yamaha rx-v1500. please help.. eventually papalitan ko rin ito pag me funds na ulit...thanks
wala naman bro, basta ikabit mo lang ng tama. :)

Offline zap|JDM

• Collector
  • nOOb
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Mar 19, 2005 at 03:49 PM »
There's an anecdote on the net I came across in the past that stuck in my mind.  It's about a filthy rich man and his speakers and goes something like this:

I have Wilson Audio speakers for the master's bedroom.  Coincident Triumphs for the den.  B&W  for the kid's playroom.  Missions for the butler.  Alpine and Nakamichis for the cars.  And BOSE for the dog house.  Among the occupants in my large house,  only the dogs can't appreciate the sounds coming from their speakers.  Bose apparently can't reproduce the 15khz and up commands recorded from a dog whistle training CD.  I eventually upgraded to Boston satellites at half the price.   The bose cubes made excellent chew toys for the puppies though.   

thats funny..wawa naman BOSE.
www.jdmunderground.ph
Mickey's Autosound

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Jun 29, 2005 at 08:56 PM »
bump

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
Re: Bose Lifestyle 15
« Reply #221 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 11:52 PM »
jackryan- do you want a speaker that looks and sound the same or even better than the Bose Lifestyle 15?  I can have it done for you for a (ehem) cheaper price.  If you went to the marathon, I had a sample of a Bose 901 clone there wailing!  Just PM me or something and we can talk about it. ;D

what kind of speakers are you going to use, does the sound like 901?

Offline ganicru

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 04:21 PM »
I still keep my all Bose HT dedicated system. Acoustimass 7 for LCR and Model 100 (mounted on the ceiling) for the surround. I just added a powered subwoofer located at the rear of watching/ listening area to add more slam/punch. Happy with it for the clear sound and small space they occupies and of course the cute look of the cubes. Iba ang dating eh!
Panasonic PV70
Bose acoustimass 7, vcs10, mdl100x3
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline bonzai

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 01:41 AM »
does anyone here selling a bracket for accustimass?

mura lang ha....

pls contact me 6814301   09193656328

Offline JFBagadiong

• Collector
  • Attack!!!
  • Liked:
BOSE owners list your comments
« Reply #224 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 12:29 AM »
Hello there folks,

I am a registered owner of BOSE speakers here in the Philippines and I guess its time to share out the real deal. This is to help our fellow hobbyist before purchasing BOSE.

Bose owners, Post your comments and suggestion’s here. We have the right to say something about these loudspeakers because we actually heard and experienced using them.

To start it all, here is the list of speakers I formerly owned from BOSE;

Acoustimass 5 series 3 – 2 swiveling cube speakers, magnetically shielded and has a little bit of weight. The bass module is not shielded and made of laminated MDF particle board, scratch proof. Rated at 200Wpc max, also made in Mexico, how bout frequency response? “NO IDEA”, but still I purchased this speakers from Eleksis in SM Megamall. It is originally priced at Php.25T and got a 5% discount because I paid it in cash, when I auditioned it a few times before I made my purchase. It really got my attention about the clarity and the design. It is small enough to fit my living room and loud enough to make my office mates mumble about its size vs. performance. It matched it with my YAMAHA RXV995 and boy it really sounded so sweet without the ear fatigue. Parties come and go in my place and my friend’s keeps coming back just to hear my AM5. Then I got the idea of adding a Lexus digital mic mixer for videoke. And from then on, we always have series of gathering and event’s in my place even without any occasion, just for the fun of singing. Then my urge to complete my HT 5.1 speakers come to arise. I finally scouted for additional BOSE speakers, after auditioning a few it came to my attention that due to limited model for 5.1 speakers I have no choice but to add only…       

VCS10 – 2 twiddler drivers mounted in one ergonomically designed plastic enclosure, rated at a total 100W max, again no idea about its frequency. It is only one BOSE speaker that can be purchased solely for the use of a center speaker, in which, I purchased from ambassador app. in Glorieta, Makati. The first time I auditioned it, I’m not amused by its performance. It sounded flat and no dynamic frequency response, to make it short, the sound is the way that it looks, a loud speaker in a plastic box similar to a multimedia speakers, but due to its design and brand, I bought it, thinking it would perfectly matched my AM5, then the scouting for 5.1 goes on… until I also purchased…     

Model 100 – each has a single full range star driver mounted again in an ergonomically designed plastic enclosure, rated at 80Wpc max, again no frequency specification. This is a surround speakers in which I also thought would blend and sound good when I complete my HT speakers…

So when I finally got all the speakers hooked up with my RXV995 and hear it, surprisingly I was very very disappointed. AM5 has no problem, but my right surround model 100 speaker was damaged. I forgot to set my surround setting into “small” and when BOSE replaced it, still I was very disappointed, I already set my surround to small, but still I can hear the plastic grill rumble and making unwanted noise, BOSE told me to minimize the volume of my surround, but when I adjust it to a minimum, I can’t hear it anymore.

Anyways when a dialog from a movie comes out from my VCS10, it sounded more like a voice coming from a plastic pail or should I describe it similar from a plastic multimedia speaker’s.

So when timbre matching problem started to become a “REAL” big problem, I started to contact the main BOSE service by E-mail. Telling them the problem I encountered. I asked them if ever they would produce a separate cube speakers that can stand alone without the aid of the bass module and can be bought individually. My reason for this is for expansion use. I also asked them if ever they would market out a powered bass module for the use on sub out or LFE. Guess what they told me? They told me that they will some how ask their Engineers to research about it.

I guess BOSE didn’t see the future of Audio industry and still they keep on developing speakers that has a limited expansion or they don’t manufacture speakers according to ISO/BPS (International Standard Org. / Bureau of Products Standardization).

When I finally realized this problem, I started to think about the limitations of this BOSE product’s and began to conclude that it is impossible to meet the demands of my HT, so I decided to sell the whole BOSE speakers for Php. 35T, fortunately my officemate bought it and used for his Videoke.

Then my obsession for BOSE didn’t stop, I maintained my Videoke and bought… 

BOSE professional 402 – priced at Php. 31T after a few bargaining at ANG Brothers in Raon, each enclosure is weather proof and has a 4 full range speakers mounted in articulated array. And this time BOSE gave the frequency response 90 Hz to 16 kHz at 120Wpc RMS, but again a barrier arise, the 402 can’t be used without the 402c system controller, so I bought it for Php.15T. I matched it with my power amp QSC MX-700, it sounded good but it lacked bass frequency. So again I sold it.

My final word is “before you buy BOSE products better audition more, because there are more out there better than this product’s, but don’t get me wrong if you’re still in love with BOSE then get one but for me I’ve learned my lesson now”.

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
Re: BOSE owners list your comments
« Reply #225 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 12:54 AM »

I owned this before..BOSE Lifestyle® 28 Series II DVD system.(On sale for $1,200 with 2 yrs no interest/no payment.)

The system came well documented with everything needed for a complete set-up. This made assembly and dis-assembly very easy. We watched 10 DVD's. It "hung" on two DVD's. The power of the system was very disappointing. We had the volume control near maximum to hear well. The bass was very weak. The highs and surround sound feeling were pretty good. The price you are paying for the Bose speakers are just for the fact that they are small and easily conceilable, not because they have the best sound (because they don't) or because they look great (because they don't).

We returned the system believing we could find something comparable.IMHO.....My advice? Get something else. ;D ;D ;D ;D

peace!!!!

Offline dimple_guy0619

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 09:05 AM »
I have a BOSE 601 Series III, (200 watts RMS/ channel) .I bought it in Riyadh, K.S.A.  yr 1992..... What Can I say? It Still Working Properly with Great Bass and sound......

Bose 601 Series III Direct/Reflecting Loudspeaker System;

The 601 Series III system delivers full, lifelike, spacious sound from attractive, floor standing enclosures. Its combination of reflected and direct sound allows placement flexibility and provides high fidelity musical enjoyment comparable to any other manufacturer's top-of-the-line speaker system.

The Free Space tweeter array precisely distributes high-frequency sound energy for accurate stereo imaging throughout your room. Dual Digital Dynamic Range woofers and a Dual Frequency crossover network provide well-defined bass response and overall smoothness.

Features

* Direct/Reflecting system design
    * Free Space array
    * Subport enclosure system with slotted port
    * Digital Dynamic Range woofers
    * Dual Frequency crossover network
    * Automatic woofer protection circuit
    * Syncom II computer quality control
    * Acoustically transparent grille assembly (removable)
    * Full five-year warranty

Technical Data

*     Driver complement (per enclosure)  -   Two 8'' long-excursion Digital Dynamic Range woofers and         
                                                                       four 3'' tweeters mounted in a Free Space array
 *     Nominal impedance                      -     8 Ohms
 *     Power rating                                     -     200 watts IEC, compatible with amplifiers/receivers rated 
                                                                       from 10 to 350 watts per channel
 *     Fusing                                                -     Series-connected 2A fast-blow fuse recommended
 *     Cabinets                                      -     Genuine hardwood veneer with walnut finish
 *     Dimensions                                    -    30''H x 12 3/16''W x 12 1/2''D (30.89 x 31.75 x 76.2 cm)
  *    Weight                                             -   45 lbs (20.41 kg) per speaker
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2006 at 10:18 AM by dimple_guy0619 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 12:43 PM »

BOSE professional 402 – priced at Php. 31T after a few bargaining at ANG Brothers in Raon, each enclosure is weather proof and has a 4 full range speakers mounted in articulated array. And this time BOSE gave the frequency response 90 Hz to 16 kHz at 120Wpc RMS, but again a barrier arise, the 402 can’t be used without the 402c system controller, so I bought it for Php.15T. I matched it with my power amp QSC MX-700, it sounded good but it lacked bass frequency. So again I sold it.

Wow, P31T for a speaker pair that only has a 90hz to 16khz bandwidth.  Even a Dai-ichi bookshelf costing a tenth of that has a wider bandwidth.   :o

And you have to use a "system controller" that is just an equalizer with power amps. Tsk Tsk... For a total of 46T, you could have gotten any one of those great sounding speaker brands in the mid-price points.  With Bose, it seems the word "overprice" takes on very obnoxious and contemptible meaning. 

My final word is “before you buy BOSE products better audition more, because there are more out there better than this product’s, but don’t get me wrong if you’re still in love with BOSE then get one but for me I’ve learned my lesson now”.

Congrats on your enlightenment.  Better late than never.  I must say, your lesson has been expensively learned the hard way.   

Bose are actually good speakers.  If only they were priced not to mock and insult the market. 

Offline JFBagadiong

• Collector
  • Attack!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 01:29 PM »
Oo nga sir av_phile, it really made my head hurts and my pocket empty...

Sana hindi na maka biktima ang BOSE sa over priced speakers nila... too late para magsisi na din, Anyways now im scouting for a better AV, I'm eyeing my friend's 2nd hand RXV995 pero im thingking on a brand new RXV750 my budget is around Php. 20T, coz I already sold my RXV995 before bago ako mag seaman and I'm planning to buy local speakers kahit Dai-chi nalang or KonZert, medyo mabigat yung kursunada ko rito sa Amsterdam B&W DM303. 

This coming December ang baba ko sa barko, can you advised me kung ano magandang local speakers with sub, my budget is around Php.18T coz im still confused kung ako local speakers and maganda hirap kasi magkaroon ng after shock after BOSE eh hehehe! anyways sana this time makabili ako ng speakers na good deal...         

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 06:16 PM »
Oo nga sir av_phile, it really made my head hurts and my pocket empty...

Sana hindi na maka biktima ang BOSE sa over priced speakers nila... too late para magsisi na din, Anyways now im scouting for a better AV, I'm eyeing my friend's 2nd hand RXV995 pero im thingking on a brand new RXV750 my budget is around Php. 20T, coz I already sold my RXV995 before bago ako mag seaman and I'm planning to buy local speakers kahit Dai-chi nalang or KonZert, medyo mabigat yung kursunada ko rito sa Amsterdam B&W DM303. 

This coming December ang baba ko sa barko, can you advised me kung ano magandang local speakers with sub, my budget is around Php.18T coz im still confused kung ako local speakers and maganda hirap kasi magkaroon ng after shock after BOSE eh hehehe! anyways sana this time makabili ako ng speakers na good deal...         

If you like the B&W 303 series, I think medyo mura siya dito sa pinas compared with the prices in Europe and the net. There are many brands that are quite expensive when retailed on the net or in the US or Europe.  But they are are surprisingly very affordable here.  Wharfedale, B&W and Mordaunt-SHorts are a few I can think of.  Most of their entry level models are made in China and end up here.  Wharfedale Daimond series is one very good example whose pricing is quite high overseas than here, often at par with B&W prices when the same model is just a fraction of the price here.  I think your 18T can buy you a great set of 5-channel speakers.  Getting a powered sub will cost a little more.

Offline JFBagadiong

• Collector
  • Attack!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 09:23 PM »

If you like the B&W 303 series, I think medyo mura siya dito sa pinas compared with the prices in Europe and the net. There are many brands that are quite expensive when retailed on the net or in the US or Europe.  But they are are surprisingly very affordable here.  Wharfedale, B&W and Mordaunt-SHorts are a few I can think of.  Most of their entry level models are made in China and end up here.  Wharfedale Daimond series is one very good example whose pricing is quite high overseas than here, often at par with B&W prices when the same model is just a fraction of the price here.  I think your 18T can buy you a great set of 5-channel speakers.  Getting a powered sub will cost a little more.

Thanks Sir av_phile1, very reliable ka talaga, Sir sa local brand kaya ano ang magandang brand at performance? 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 09:56 AM »
When you're here, do check out the av shops in Glorietta, Megamall and Shangri-la Plaza.  If you want affordable speakers with excellent value, there's Wharfedale, Polk Audio, Mordaunt-Short, Gale, to mention a few imported ones and even the locally based Dai-ichi.

Offline ganicru

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 11:21 AM »
Hi!
      I still maintain using my full Bose Home theater set up. Acoustimass 7 for the LCR fronts, Model 100 for the rear. 10 years of service na. I'm still happy with it. In yr 2000, my Bass module got damaged and the local supplier replaced the 2 drivers free of charge, 5 year warranty kasi.  Bought the AM7 in 1995 for P24K. Powered by Onkyo AVR.

Bose performance is dependent on room  configuration, try to imitate the showroom set up and you'll maximise its potential. I add up a powered sub woofer to enhance the movie explosion scenes.
       But for music only, I have another set-up.
Just me.

Panasonic PV70
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 03:17 PM »
Actually, the Bose satellite cubes and sub can be fine and impressive in HT.   The one caveat against this particualr Bose model is really the pricing issue.  I mean 25T for 2" paper cone speakers on small plastic cubes????   ???
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2005 at 03:18 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline ganicru

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 03:26 PM »
I tried to open the bass module once and you'll be surprise of the electronic components inside, daig pa ang circuit board ng amplifier. I believe this is what we are paying for not for the paper driver. Remember their sales proposition " Better Sound Thru Research" and I Salute them for this.

Just me again.
Panasonic PV70
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #235 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 03:41 PM »
I tried to open the bass module once and you'll be surprise of the electronic components inside, daig pa ang circuit board ng amplifier. I believe this is what we are paying for not for the paper driver. Remember their sales proposition " Better Sound Thru Research" and I Salute them for this.

Just me again.

Hi ganicru.

Don't you think that the bass module need not be that complicated?

Offline ganicru

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 04:07 PM »
I don't want to play know all, but the bass module handles all the load of distributing the sound to the left right and center speaker to simulate the movie theater experience. Imagine the little cube speakers delivering gigantic sound effects, given the advantage of not crowding your room with big speakers. I just mount them on my wall and ceiling. Sound coming from everywhere in the room, really a space saver. One can just focus on the big TV screen (36 in. Wega TV) and wonder where the sound is coming.

Just me again.
Panasonic PV70
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #237 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 04:12 PM »
Ok :) Thanks :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 04:13 PM »

Just me again.

Well, if you buy into all that proposition, I must salute you too.   ;D  I guess, if you're happy with your investment, good for you.  I certainly won't be the one to burst your bubble. ;D  Happy listening.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2005 at 04:15 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline rmpmla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 04:22 PM »
used to own 901 and model100

the model 100 was used as surround kaya kang nagra-rattle yung plastic enclosure kaya dispose ko.

the 901 i had was just sold to a fellow pinoydvd member. this speaker will sing as long as you use high powered amp and an equalizer. mas emphasized ang mids and had to drive at loud volume to appreciate it. pang bagong taon baga  ;D. had to sold coz i seldom played loud music (almost once a year lang).

ang natira sa akin yung bose 401 floorstander. was planning to replace it with B&W602 but after testing both. had to retain the bose 401.

sa presyo e hindi naman ako talo, kasi the total cost of the pre-owned 100,401 and 901 is about P14,000.  :)