Author Topic: Why I buy my Region-Free Blu-ray Discs from Amazon.co.uk  (Read 38856 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
This is my latest Amazon-UK purchase that I just picked up from the post office today:

Total cost of discs including shipping: GBP 35.72 = PHP 2346.14

Add the PHP 40 Post Office Handling Fee: 2346.14 + 40 = PHP 2386.14

=====

So I got 9 movies on Blu-ray from Amazon.co.uk for less than the price of The Amazing Spider-Man on 3D Blu-ray from local stores (PHP 2500).

Just a quick reminder to everyone that as long as you're not in a rush and aren't doing impulse purchases, this is one of many cheaper options available to you in the internet age.  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012 at 07:15 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: Why I buy my Region-Free Blu-rays from Amazon.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 03:39 PM »
very nice sir. I ordered 4 box sets. Matrix, American Pie, Bourne and Jurassic. However, I had it shipped to the US johnny air pa.

40.20 GBP total. Of course i'll have to anticipate the additional shipping from JAC to the Philippines. pero even with that added, it's still way cheaper than buying anything locally.

but i'm interested in your direct shipping method. what address do you put in there? the post office nearest to you? I might consider that if that's actually cheaper than going through JAC pa.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012 at 03:40 PM by the_w0rks »

Offline Columbia

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 817
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 03:55 PM »
additional question Kapitan., How much did Amazon UK charged for shipping to Ph? I reckon Post Office Handling fee isn't a fix amount but it just depends on the postman..
Columbia

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 04:04 PM »
Nice! And that's as long as your purchase is GBP 50 or less, right?

Offline Columbia

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 04:15 PM »
Just now, I tried ordering for X-Men Quad, GBP 12.49 and Lethal Weapon Quad GBP 15.39.. What I don't understand is, those 2 items had a total of GBP 23.24 only and they charged an additional GBP 5.07 for postage and handling.
Total cost: GBP 28.31... Or~ Php 1900..
much cheaper compared to US..
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012 at 04:16 PM by columbia »
Columbia

Offline bartender

• Collector
  • Neknek mo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 04:38 PM »
very nice sir. I ordered 4 box sets. Matrix, American Pie, Bourne and Jurassic. However, I had it shipped to the US johnny air pa.

40.20 GBP total. Of course i'll have to anticipate the additional shipping from JAC to the Philippines. pero even with that added, it's still way cheaper than buying anything locally.

but i'm interested in your direct shipping method. what address do you put in there? the post office nearest to you? I might consider that if that's actually cheaper than going through JAC pa.

You can use your home or office address.  A notice will be sent to your home indicating their arrival and customs check.  You then have 30 days to get it from the post office in the area of your delivery address.
Pwede naman magtagalog.  Let's make PDVD a better place.  https://www.englishgrammar101.com

Offline bartender

• Collector
  • Neknek mo
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 04:40 PM »
additional question Kapitan., How much did Amazon UK charged for shipping to Ph? I reckon Post Office Handling fee isn't a fix amount but it just depends on the postman..

Shipping fee is a fixed rate for small packets.  Post Office handling fee is P40.00.
Pwede naman magtagalog.  Let's make PDVD a better place.  https://www.englishgrammar101.com

Offline bartender

• Collector
  • Neknek mo
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 04:42 PM »
Just now, I tried ordering for X-Men Quad, GBP 12.49 and Lethal Weapon Quad GBP 15.39.. What I don't understand is, those 2 items had a total of GBP 23.24 only and they charged an additional GBP 5.07 for postage and handling.
Total cost: GBP 28.31... Or~ Php 1900..
much cheaper compared to US..

Since the shipment is for an international address, the GST is removed before the S&H is applied.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 05:11 PM »
Most of the questions have been answered correctly by bartender, but for clarity, I'll summarize, from my point-of-view:

1. I use my home address, and I pick it up at the local post office. Fortunately I'm from QC, and the QCPO is mostly fair about customs duties, and still follows the unwritten "no tax on orders below $50" rule. About 2 years ago, I did have a customs officer notice my order was 50 in GBP (not USD), and he converted and I ended up paying about PHP 1400 in customs duties. Just as an example, even if you add 1400 to my order here, it would still be MUCH cheaper than buying these three boxed sets locally.

2. Shipping for this particular order was £6.56. This particular shipment took a VERY long time, though. I placed the order on September 25, Estimated Delivery date was October 8, and I only got the postal notice TODAY, November 8. Like I said, no rush on my part, since these particular titles are just replacing DVDs I already own in my collection.

3. Yeah, the postage handling fee is for storage at the post office, not by your postman, and is fixed at PHP 40.

4. Yes, the prices you see on the Amazon.co.uk website will still go DOWN after you get them shipped to a Philippine (or even a US) address, since as long as it's not sold in the UK, they remove the GST (or the VAT, as we know it.)

5. Let me reiterate: Kung may topak yung customs officer sa post office pagkuha mo ng package, you can still get charged for customs duties. There's no guarantee that you'll always get the item tax-free if it's under $50 (shipping INCLUDED in the $50). It's just usually the case for orders sent to QCPO.

6. Always remember: You need to be sure you're buying titles that specifically indicate they're Region Free. Don't blame this recommendation if you end up with a Blu-ray disc that won't play since you failed to make sure of that fact.

Happy online shopping.  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012 at 05:34 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline bartender

• Collector
  • Neknek mo
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 05:29 PM »

5. Let me reiterate: Kung may topak yung customs officer sa post office pagkuha mo ng package, you can still get charged for customs duties.  There's no guarantee that you'll always get the item tax-free if it's under $50 (shipping INCLUDED in the $50). It's just usually the case for orders sent to QCPO.

We're lucky that in QC, the customs officer is not greedy. They don't even open the package, in my experience, they just ask you what is inside. The only time there was an inconvenience was when at 11:30am they all went to lunch and there was no one to release my package until after the break at 1:30pm.

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 05:42 PM »
and no taxes? sweet.

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 06:13 PM »
I agree the blu-ray discs are priced much cheaper in Amazon.UK -even the shipping charge is less expensive than its US counterpart so I get to purchase from them every now and then; the only downside that I noticed especially in their more popular titles is that the bonus features are somewhat lacking or worse, excluded from their discs. So if you're a special features junkie, Amazon.UK is not the way to go.
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 06:46 PM »
We're lucky that in QC, the customs officer is not greedy. They don't even open the package, in my experience, they just ask you what is inside.

Do you tell them you have BDs or DVDs?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 07:14 PM »
My packages are opened about 30% of the time, and they're always BD/DVDs, and it's never been an issue.

I've noticed the special feature issues on titles they release ahead of the US, maybe before production on the special features has been completed. It hasn't been an issue with Warner titles. And it's on-and-off with other studios. So I'd still say go for it AFTER you've checked if the special features you're looking for are intact. It's just WAY cheaper.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012 at 07:32 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
Re: Why I buy my Region-Free Blu-ray Discs from Amazon.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 08:09 PM »
My packages are opened about 30% of the time, and they're always BD/DVDs, and it's never been an issue.

I've noticed the special feature issues on titles they release ahead of the US, maybe before production on the special features has been completed. It hasn't been an issue with Warner titles. And it's on-and-off with other studios. So I'd still say go for it AFTER you've checked if the special features you're looking for are intact. It's just WAY cheaper.

Yes, that's right sir.
Price-wise, the majority would prefer buying from Amazon.UK but some picky collectors may gripe about the difference in the art work and packaging between the US and UK versions. Even the ratings logo on the front cover of UK BDs can be a source of irritation for some. Lucky for us, we don't belong to that group  ;)

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2012 at 08:37 PM »
The only gripe i have with uk bds is that their blu ray cases are not sexy. It takes more space than the slimmer us amaray cases. Other than that, the releases are fine. Some might be bare bones releases nga lang. So check the product reviews before making that purchase.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 11:08 AM »
Oh, and right now, Amazon-UK has a Blu-ray sale: £17 for 3 Blu-ray discs. That comes out to less than PHP 400 per title!

Check out the available titles here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=2143844031
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012 at 11:10 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 01:44 PM »
finally got my UK Bourne, Matrix, American pie and Jurassic park trilogies. very nice purchase talaga from UK
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012 at 01:45 PM by the_w0rks »

Offline GLImamasan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Chip on my shoulder
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 03:48 PM »
finally got my UK Bourne, Matrix, American pie and Jurassic park trilogies. very nice purchase talaga from UK

-how much total cost and how long yun shipping time?

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 04:00 PM »
-how much total cost and how long yun shipping time?

hey bro! nice to see you here.

40GBP + 1098 shipping.

eto yung tracking info:

Date   Time   Location   Event Details
27 Oct 2012   09:00:01 AM   Jersey City NJ   Delivered
27 Oct 2012   09:00:00 AM   Jersey City NJ   Arrival Scan
25 Oct 2012   12:33:00 PM   Secaucus   Departure Scan
23 Oct 2012   12:00:00 PM   Secaucus NJ   Arrival Scan
17 Oct 2012   05:13:22 PM   Croydon   Departure Scan
17 Oct 2012   02:12:36 PM   Croydon   Shipment received by carrier
17 Oct 2012   06:42:37 AM   ---   Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

---> note that Jac told me this was delayed for a few days due to Hurricane Sandy.

all in all, I estimate around 315pesos per movie. (with GBP at 67pesos -estimated lang. pero alam ko 65.xxx lang nacharge saken.haha)
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012 at 04:07 PM by the_w0rks »

Offline GLImamasan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Chip on my shoulder
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 04:19 PM »
hey bro! nice to see you here.

40GBP + 1098 shipping.

eto yung tracking info:

Date   Time   Location   Event Details
27 Oct 2012   09:00:01 AM   Jersey City NJ   Delivered
27 Oct 2012   09:00:00 AM   Jersey City NJ   Arrival Scan
25 Oct 2012   12:33:00 PM   Secaucus   Departure Scan
23 Oct 2012   12:00:00 PM   Secaucus NJ   Arrival Scan
17 Oct 2012   05:13:22 PM   Croydon   Departure Scan
17 Oct 2012   02:12:36 PM   Croydon   Shipment received by carrier
17 Oct 2012   06:42:37 AM   ---   Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

---> note that Jac told me this was delayed for a few days due to Hurricane Sandy.

all in all, I estimate around 315pesos per movie. (with GBP at 67pesos -estimated lang. pero alam ko 65.xxx lang nacharge saken.haha)

-hehe thanks for the info. Mukhang gagayain ko nga tactics nyo.

Offline Columbia

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 08:24 PM »
I miss Erika Eleniak's dance move in Under Siege that I ordered the Seagal Collection. 5 region free BD's for just Php 930 about 2 hours ago. That's less than php 200/title.. Now the waiting starts..
Columbia

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 09:35 PM »

Why not try next time to have your order shipped to your residence directly via Royal Mail? Lalabas na mas mura lalo  ;)

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 09:40 PM »
Why not try next time to have your order shipped to your residence directly via Royal Mail? Lalabas na mas mura lalo  ;)

didn't really know how before. I just started collecting last August. maybe i'll give it a try next time. just concerned about the corrupt customs officials. :/

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 10:47 PM »
I miss Erika Eleniak's dance move in Under Siege that I ordered the Seagal Collection.

Ayus!  ;D

Oh, wait... parang nami-miss ko rin ang kanyang alindog  8)

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 11:13 PM »
wow.i didnt know na sobrang laki ng tipid pag sa UK. how do you guys pay for them? parang gusto ko na tuloy mag collect....

ok din ba at mura kung PS3 games doon bibilhin?

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 11:29 PM »
didn't really know how before. I just started collecting last August. maybe i'll give it a try next time. just concerned about the corrupt customs officials. :/
From what I gathered in the other threads/posts here in pDVD, it depends on the post office where the ordered items are dropped off. It was mentioned several times Pasay City is notorious for collecting duties based on questionable computation. Dito kasi sa amin, P40 per package lang ang binabayaran ko, even if the declared value is more than US$50 as long as the box is not big enough to catch attention. The biggest single package (approximately 5" x 12" x 9") I got from Amazon US contained 5 DVDs back when I was still into DVDs. 

Offline edwn1220

• DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 11:48 PM »
wow.i didnt know na sobrang laki ng tipid pag sa UK. how do you guys pay for them? parang gusto ko na tuloy mag collect....

ok din ba at mura kung PS3 games doon bibilhin?

You just need to register. You also need to pay via credit card but don't worry, it's relatively safe naman. Been a happy Amazon UK buyer since 2010 and at Amazon US since 2002. I also tried Amazon Canada and Japan before, but Amazon UK always give me the best blu ray shopping experience  ;D

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2012 at 04:11 AM »
From what I gathered in the other threads/posts here in pDVD, it depends on the post office where the ordered items are dropped off. It was mentioned several times Pasay City is notorious for collecting duties based on questionable computation. Dito kasi sa amin, P40 per package lang ang binabayaran ko, even if the declared value is more than US$50 as long as the box is not big enough to catch attention. The biggest single package (approximately 5" x 12" x 9") I got from Amazon US contained 5 DVDs back when I was still into DVDs. 

yeah i'll still look into it. I'm from the Manila area so I'll have to research on how corrupt people are from the Manila post office. haha

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2012 at 06:22 AM »
Just be sure to check the framerates for TV series or mini-series from the UK.

All in all, Amazon UK looks to be a great place to shop for BD's.