Author Topic: What's the best way to back up a DVD?  (Read 15102 times)

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
What's the best way to back up a DVD?
« on: Nov 09, 2008 at 10:58 PM »
Ive been experiencing DVD rot for sometime now so i got a 250gb SATA HD and am planning to use that to backup some of my orig DVDs...whats the best way to go about it and at the least file size? i do have DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink 3.2

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: What's the best way to back up a DVD?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 02:41 PM »
Ive been experiencing DVD rot for sometime now so i got a 250gb SATA HD and am planning to use that to backup some of my orig DVDs...whats the best way to go about it and at the least file size? i do have DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink 3.2

i am not too knowledgeable regarding doing back ups, but i have downloaded a lot of stuff in the net and i find avi/divx files to be the best in terms of pq to file size ratio. an ordinary movie is roughly 700mb each and the quality for me is very acceptable, although in that file size, the audio is only 2 channel.  ;D

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 11:21 PM »
thanks bro for the heads up...

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 10:05 AM »
My advise is to maintain the PQ and SQ of the original as much as you can.  There are many applications that allow you to decrypt and extract the VOB or ISO containers from original DVDs.   You'd end up with approx. 4.5GB per movie (more if you include the features or if the movie is higher bit or simply longer), hence you'd most likely need a hard drive bigger than 250GB to store all your back-up files.

You play those VOBs and ISOs through the PC using a combination of disk emulator (like Daemon Tools) and any popular software player like PowerDVD.

And in case you eventually decide to burn your back-up VOBs or ISO to a recordable DVD, automatic DVD format na sya (no need to upscale or transcode).

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2008 at 10:06 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline otepsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM »
best way to preserve the original quality is to rip it as an ISO file ika nga Loseless from the original dvd source na iba-backup mo

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 01:33 PM »
best way to preserve the original quality is to rip it as an ISO file ika nga Loseless from the original dvd source na iba-backup mo

Agree with this. If you want to take it a step further there are NMTs that can handle the ISO files as if you're using the actual DVD inside a DVD player. This is actually how I did it especially for my Disney DVDs that get a lot of play time from my kids.

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 11:47 PM »
again... thank you very much guys for the help...yes, i do intend to keep the PQ and AQ in their original state and i think to back it up to ISO file is a very good option for me....so, can i use my DVD Shrink 3.2 to convert to ISO file? coz i did noticed ISO is an option there kaya lang since am not that savy on what is ISO, i tended to keep my distance and simply did a straighforward backup (sans the extra features, audio and subs) to VOB....

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 08:59 AM »
again... thank you very much guys for the help...yes, i do intend to keep the PQ and AQ in their original state and i think to back it up to ISO file is a very good option for me....so, can i use my DVD Shrink 3.2 to convert to ISO file? coz i did noticed ISO is an option there kaya lang since am not that savy on what is ISO, i tended to keep my distance and simply did a straighforward backup (sans the extra features, audio and subs) to VOB....

ISO or VOB container are both OK.  Pareho lang PQ and SQ but just maybe, you may find one or the other to be "faster" to read from the disk when burned; or maybe it's trivial.  That's just my observation when I download VOB or ISO file and burn them to a recordable DVD.    Anyway, you can use any application that allows you to save the extracted ISO or VOB container to the hard drive.   Give your DVD Shrink a try then.

The last time I did this was in 2006.  (Since then hindi na kase ako bumili ng DVD).    I used AnyDVD to decrypt and rip and then DVD Clone to burn.  I don't recall saving the ripped file to the hard drive though, or perhaps the application temporarily saved in the hard drive, and then automatically deleted after completing the DVD burn.

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 04:25 PM »
The last time I did this was in 2006.  (Since then hindi na kase ako bumili ng DVD).    I used AnyDVD to decrypt and rip and then DVD Clone to burn.  I don't recall saving the ripped file to the hard drive though, or perhaps the application temporarily saved in the hard drive, and then automatically deleted after completing the DVD burn.

yup, thats what i was doing then using DVD Shrink - decrypt, rip and burn...but this time i would just like to keep it on storage sa hard disc lang ...to burn them later if necessary..btw, is your AnyDVD software the same with the AnyDVD Converter which i also have? (similar kasi ang name)

Offline gb

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 07:06 AM »

bro, i compress mo using winrar and upload it to rapidshare, na stored/bakup muna ung movie mo naka befefit pa kami  ;) :D

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 03:06 PM »
ISO or VOB container are both OK.  Pareho lang PQ and SQ but just maybe, you may find one or the other to be "faster" to read from the disk when burned; or maybe it's trivial. 
Im backing now my DVDs using Dvdshrink and converting it to ISO..same PQ and SQ indeed at a very reasonable size...thanks

bro, i compress mo using winrar and upload it to rapidshare, na stored/bakup muna ung movie mo naka befefit pa kami  ;) :D
Sorry bro but i need my backups within reach for easier access...and not dependent on internet access..
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008 at 03:07 PM by stryder »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 04:16 PM »
Im backing now my DVDs using Dvdshrink and converting it to ISO..same PQ and SQ indeed at a very reasonable size...

What levels of filesize are you getting?

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM »
What levels of filesize are you getting?
using DVD Shrink to convert to ISO  - it average about 4.5gb....when i started backing up ,then, to DVD file (VOB), parang x2 and size....however, i guess the difference in filesize has something to do with my preference...kasi now sa ISO, purely movie lang talaga ang backup ginawa ko sans the subtitles and extras..unlike then its the whole DVD...
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:56 PM by stryder »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:59 PM »
iirc the fastest iso/image maker is the alcohol 120% .. :)
dvdshrink is well around 20% slower  :D
tried both before when i was in the "copying" industry  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline thesaint

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 10:37 AM »
yung 250gig na sata. Mukhang kulang yun kung iso file na back-up mo.
6-7gig pag may special features/ 4.5 gig pag naka shrink na.

Mura na lang 1.5 terabyte ngayon...hehehehe

Offline gb

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM »
yung 250gig na sata. Mukhang kulang yun kung iso file na back-up mo.
6-7gig pag may special features/ 4.5 gig pag naka shrink na.

Mura na lang 1.5 terabyte ngayon...hehehehe

same idea...
or if u stake with ur hdd, compress it to uif and then compress it again to rar file.
kung gusto mo naman i hide ung mga video sa loob ng jpg images dapat naka winrar sya...

good luck...

Offline vintageDbest

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 05:42 PM »

The simple and quicker way is to use 1ClickDVD. Use a good DVD-R like the Taiyo Yuden Watershield disc. It is inkjet printable, waterproof, and scratchproof. You can use any copy software you want, just use the DVD-R I mentioned above. I used about 2000+ of this disc using my old reliable LG GSA-5163D external 16X DVD burner and Epson R200 printer and it is the best disc so far. I have used Ritek and Verbatim in the past, but nothing beats the Taiyo Yuden.

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 11:38 AM »
I'm planning to this this holiday season. How long does it take to copy/transfer a 4.5GB dvd file? Is there a best way to burn those dvd's using slower speed,or kahit mabilis ok lang?

vintageDbest, where did you bought your taiyo dvd-r and for how much?

also how much na for 500GB, 1TB and 1.5TB respectively? what brand na din ok.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM »
Takes only 10-15 min. to copy,convert and burn a DVD nowadays.

The common pitfall is the false belief to burn at slow speeds, the more likely a failure will occur and you'll have a coaster after.

The rule is check initially the speed recommended by your burning software,and just choose the mid speed.Nowadays, single write DVD goes from 4X to !6X speed,and my burns at 4 speed is no better than those I burned at 16 speed,but I did get burn failures when I experimented with 2X speed, so the rule is follow the recommendations.

Not all discs are alike, so it's better to use Image Burn or even the old DVDdecrypter so tha 1st hand info on your discs are exhibited before the burn.

Now for HDD, as of 1130 am today, the 500G Seagate 7200.11 model goes for 3.1K at PCXpress.
Usual selling price in Gilmore is 3.1 to 3.7K. I didn't bother with the 1TB, for I don't wanna format for a day,but prices ranged from 6.5 to 6.9K. I didn't bother to ask for the 1.5TB variety.

Depending on your PC configurations,a 4.5G data can be transferred to a HDD docked externally via 2.0 USB averages 6-7mins with a 1.6 single core P4, 3 to 4mins. with a dual core, while....It takes only 1.5 to 2 mins. for a HDD docked via esata.

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 03:36 PM »
Thanks for your input sir alfie. same price lang pala halos pagdinoble yung pag bili ng 500gb.

Offline vintageDbest

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 06:08 PM »
I'm planning to this this holiday season. How long does it take to copy/transfer a 4.5GB dvd file? Is there a best way to burn those dvd's using slower speed,or kahit mabilis ok lang?

vintageDbest, where did you bought your taiyo dvd-r and for how much?

also how much na for 500GB, 1TB and 1.5TB respectively? what brand na din ok.

It takes me 8 minutes reading and about 7 minutes to copy a 2-hour DVD using 1ClickDVD and a 16X LG external drive.  I buy Taiyo yuden from the states and my brother is sending it whenever he sends the "Balikbayan Box".  TY is made in Japan and I wouldn't be surprised if they sell it there somewhere in the Metro area.  Sometimes I am using my older DVDXCopy software and it takes a little bit longer.  A lot of my friends are saying that 4X is the ideal speed, But I am tired of waiting and besides I can't see the difference when I burn it at 16X. You must have an eagle eye or has the equipment to measure the resolution to notice the difference.  I don't store my movies in my hard drive for it makes my computer slower and it's just practical to store in on the disc. 

Offline pooch

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 03:08 PM »
what is the best way to convert your DVDs to DivX files?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 06:53 AM »
what is the best way to convert your DVDs to DivX files?
do you mean whats the best software to convert these files? 
if yes, then try total video converter.
ninjababez online ..

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 04:19 PM »
I use Xillisoft DVD Ripper or AcidRip to decrypt my DVDs to Divx or Xvid.  ;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 PM »
I used to back up my DVDs but after all the years i always use the ORIGINAL when i rewatch my DVDs. Now after having watched my DVDs twice or thrice, i no longer have the interest to watch it again, so Last December i just distributed my backup files to my friends justto get rid of them forever.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2009 at 01:01 PM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline MercedesBMW

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2009 at 07:23 PM »
I use Xillisoft DVD Ripper or AcidRip to decrypt my DVDs to Divx or Xvid.  ;)

same with me

Offline owen17

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 02:20 PM »
mga sirs kapag nagrip ba ako ng dvd kasama yung mga features and menu??? not iso po ah..
kasi istore ko sila sa hdd sa ps3 and dun ko panuorin possible ba yun?

thanks!!