Author Topic: Converting your audio cd's to 96Khz/24bit LPCM 2.0 DVD-V  (Read 11534 times)

Offline bosyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Namaste
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My fav cd's are 96/24 now :)

Steps:
1. CD Ripper I prefer Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/)

2. Foobar (http://www.foobar2000.org/) for converting to 96/24

3. Lplex (http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/)
Lplex is a simple drag-and-drop open-source win32 console utility intended
to provide a free, quick, and hopefully painless way to

* create a playable full-resolution "audio-only" dvd-video disc from
wave or flac audio filesets, with md5 verification and archival
content.
* extract unencrypted lpcm audio streams from dvd-video to wave or
flac in an md5-verified process.

output:

4. ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/)

1 album approximately 1.5Gig, 30 songs for DVD+R Disc

Hear the difference :)

Note: Set your dvd player PCM out to 96/24

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM by bosyo »
Dai-ichi
Crown
Micro
Starvox
Booster (mj2955)
ALC 888
Phelps Dodge
Aiwa Cassette

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Converting your audio cd's to 96Khz/24bit LCPM 2.0 DVD-V
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

Any free application that will convert audio to DVD-A with 96/24?

Offline bosyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Namaste
  • Liked:
Dai-ichi
Crown
Micro
Starvox
Booster (mj2955)
ALC 888
Phelps Dodge
Aiwa Cassette

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Converting your audio cd's to 96Khz/24bit LPCM 2.0 DVD-V
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 01:02 PM »
Bosyo whats the improvement from ordinary cd music file to 96/24? Is stereo to 5.1 also possible? TY
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2009 at 01:09 PM »
Bosyo whats the improvement from ordinary cd music file to 96/24? Is stereo to 5.1 also possible? TY

Depending on the material, you can simulate immersive 5.1 surround quality but it's quite laborious.  I experimented on this using 2 software apps back in 2006  But don't ask me what as I've lost all my files when my hard disk crashed last year.  I'm not sure if there's a single app that can do it these days.

You need an audio editor to extract 6 wav files and then compile them to become 5.1 DTS audio files you can play on ordinary CD players.  You first extract LFE information from 100hz below to become your .1 or 6th channel.  The common frequencies from L and R are extracted, usually the vocal components or solo instrument and summed to become your mono center channel.  What you have left is L and R front passbanded from 100Hz up and devoid of center information.  You then extract the out of phase frequencies to become your rear L and R channels.  You can play around with their respective levels and delays then all 6 channels are compiled in a different application into a 5.1 DTS file.  It can take an hour per song to do it.  

I started out saying it depends on the material because not all will sound great.  If there are no out-of-phase information, you can't get the rear channel data.  You will need to mirror the L and R data with a phase shift and 25% volume for the rear to simulate an echo and it often sounds smeared.   In a live concert, you could put the clapping audience in the rear after a song.  Simple instrumentation like a quartet or trio has better chances.  Some songs form Ana Caram, Diana Krall and Patricia Barber can sound great in extracted 5.1.  Google search the DTS software.  It's the easiest part because once you have the 6 channels laid out, the app outputs a 5.1 DTS file in seconds.  Goldwave, Soundforge or Nero can be your audio editor.  
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2009 at 07:20 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2009 at 08:45 PM »
Owww -- Nice to hear from the LEGEND again!!!! Thanks Sir AV. ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2009 at 09:19 PM »
Thanks jerix, glad to hear from you too.   

My needs these days are a lot simpler.  The joys oif internet downloading had taken over.

Sometimes I wonder why I ever got into multichannel sound.  They're nice but never really caught on commercially. I realized that when those DVD-A discs at Odyssey never got replenished as early as 2006.  Now, the multichannel music from DTS are still here but hardly ever getting new titles anymore. That was made worse with the closure of Montage at Greenbelt - my only source of surround music.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2010 at 05:05 PM »
Hey -- I just converted my ordinary CD into 96/24.  ;D

My pioneer receiver recognized it immediately by showing "96khz" in its display. The stereo sound is good and even better that the original in stereo mode. However, i have a problem -  the receiver doesnt seem to react when i tried other sound options. It is just sticking to 2 channel stereo.  I cant setup the receiver into 6 channel stereo which is my preferred mode in music listening. Any explanation to this? :-\

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2010 at 06:36 PM »
Hey -- I just converted my ordinary CD into 96/24.  ;D

My pioneer receiver recognized it immediately by showing "96khz" in its display. The stereo sound is good and even better that the original in stereo mode. However, i have a problem -  the receiver doesnt seem to react when i tried other sound options. It is just sticking to 2 channel stereo.  I cant setup the receiver into 6 channel stereo which is my preferred mode in music listening. Any explanation to this? :-\

It's normal, you can't apply DSP to digital 96/24 audio.

What you can do (if you have two receiver's in which one has preout;; or you have another sound processor) then connect the pre-out of the receiver's analog out to any analog in of the second receiver.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2010 at 06:32 PM by Philander »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2010 at 06:55 AM »
Philander -- thanks for the answer.

And yeah i experimented on using the analog connection to the receiver and yes i was able to use the multi channel system.  ;D

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2010 at 07:00 AM »
Hey -- I just converted my ordinary CD into 96/24.  ;D

My pioneer receiver recognized it immediately by showing "96khz" in its display. The stereo sound is good and even better that the original in stereo mode. However, i have a problem -  the receiver doesnt seem to react when i tried other sound options. It is just sticking to 2 channel stereo.  I cant setup the receiver into 6 channel stereo which is my preferred mode in music listening. Any explanation to this? :-\

Sir, can you please describe what is better eg is it better clarity on low freq, mid freq, high freq. smoother sound etc
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2010 at 08:53 AM by rascal101 »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2010 at 05:16 PM »
rascal -- in stereo the sound of the converted sound is clear and crisp, and the sound is seemed to be so well balanced. The CD i converted is instrumental big band music and US pressed, the quality of the CD is superb as i compare it to my other CDs that are locally pressed. In the multi channel analog mode with all my speakers in operation, i cant notice so much the difference.  ;)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2010 at 03:51 PM »
Thank you Sir. Mukhang may bago akong project  ;D