Author Topic: Bypassing Oversampling filter?  (Read 3222 times)

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bypassing Oversampling filter?
« on: Sep 03, 2009 at 07:18 PM »
Found a Philips CD473 at a surplus store for an irresistable price, headphone out crackles when you twist the volume knobs but soundstage is noticeably bigger on my headphones, has dual TDA-1541's. Planning to get this instead of an iPod for my bedside system, and the option for using hte regular output with a headamp if I have spare funds down the road. No hiccups reading CD-R's when I tested the mfor 30mins, whether Nero- or WMP- burned.

Thinking of toying with it, too. Is it possible to bypass the Oversampling filter on this to make it non-OS? Plus there's a large amount of real estate around the headphone output section I figured changing it to a tube unit later on would be an interesting experiment.

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Bypassing Oversampling filter?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 08:42 AM »
Hi Sir,

The Lampizator website had shown such mods. Example"

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/Philips%20CD630/Philips%20CD-630%20CD%20player%20with%20TDA1541A%20DAC.html

Sir alexg did a tube output stage for his lowly Denon DCD-590. I borrowed it for a while and it sounds really good!

Good luck on your project and Keep us posted.  :D

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 06:34 PM »
Wow, thanks! Im encouraged already, sayang twin DAC pa naman and at that price, looks like a good toy to tinker around with! CD473 with tube headphone output coming right up!  ;D

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 07:15 PM »
Found a Philips CD473 at a surplus store for an irresistable price, headphone out crackles when you twist the volume knobs but soundstage is noticeably bigger on my headphones, has dual TDA-1541's. Planning to get this instead of an iPod for my bedside system, and the option for using hte regular output with a headamp if I have spare funds down the road. No hiccups reading CD-R's when I tested the mfor 30mins, whether Nero- or WMP- burned.

Thinking of toying with it, too. Is it possible to bypass the Oversampling filter on this to make it non-OS? Plus there's a large amount of real estate around the headphone output section I figured changing it to a tube unit later on would be an interesting experiment.

Sir,

Were you able to acquire this CDP? If not, can you pls advise where this Surplus store is located. Thanks.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2009 at 09:59 AM »
Sir rascal,

Went back there but someone else already purchased it, BUT for another 1k I got a better platform for the Lampizator mod: a Marantz CD80  :)

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2009 at 11:54 PM »
Sir Protegemaniac,

Great find! The Marantz CD-80 uses the TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) DAC.

So, how is your Lampizator mod going?

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM »
Yup, got the autovolt version too. No remote but the Philips (not Marantz) code for my Sony Universal unit works. Almost got the Philips twin selling for 6.5k, too. Just waiting for the replacement gear for now but Im loving it with my Grado SR225. Using either the Grados or Wharfe Pi10s through a NAD304, with the Marantz as transport with a DAC-AH (TDA1543), the sound is also fantastic, better than my XE700 Sony transport. Lows were more solid provided it sits on soft isolators (Sony prefers the harder isolators).

Still, the DAC-AH and the NAD's headphone out can whip the CD80, that's why Im still considering the Lampizator mod. The weaker low end on the Marantz is most likely from the analog output, not fro mteh DAC architecture, but I want to focus on the tube mod for the headphone amp, plus the OS filter bypass. Oh, and one other thing: tubed volume control for the variable output of the Marantz, which I'll try direct into the NAD's poweramp section, but hopefully since the tubes will not be mounted on the stock board, if the sound isn't to my liking I can have it rewired to the balanced output. This way I can bypass the DAC-AH completely and jsut route the modded, non-OS Marantz signal to a full-size headamp.

Pero next na yan...kain muna for the holidays  :D

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 01:42 PM »
Looks like a lot of work to be done.

By the way, I live in Bocaue (very near the St Martin Parish Church). There maybe good chance that I am not too far from where you live.

If it is not too much for you, I'd like to visit and listen to your set-up  :)

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 10:39 PM »
No problem bro, sent you a PM.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend