Author Topic: Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Media Transport  (Read 3549 times)

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Media Transport
« on: Sep 06, 2009 at 09:54 PM »
srp 150GBP (US$245.947)
http://www.wikio.co.uk/guide/onkyo-nd-s1-232505.html

yummy !!!

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/press/press_release_en_8599729.html
Press Release Digital Media Transport ND-S1
2009-08-17

Onkyo unveils its first Digital Media Transport for the iPod

Next generation Onkyo dock delivers Bit-Perfect Audio from iPod players and syncs with iTunes

Onkyo is proud to unveil the ND-S1, an advanced new breed of iPod dock that allows music lovers to tap directly into the digital audio content on their iPods before it is processed by the player's own DAC (digital to analogue converter) and output stage.

Why do that? Simple – it'll sound better. Send the audio digital signal you've extracted to a better DAC (digital to analogue converter)than is present in the iPod and you can enjoy a massive uplift in sound quality, readily apparent with full-resolution file formats such as Apple Lossless and .WAV.

KEY FEATURES

* Digital Outputs (Optical/Coaxial)
    * High-precision Clock Reference to minimise jitter
    * iPod video playback
    * iTunes Sync/Unsync switch
    * Audio Selector (iPod/PC)
    * Resume Music and Video Playback Function
    * Shuffle/Repeat (one/all tracks)/Random Playback of Songs/Albums
    * iPod/iPhone charging function
    * USB Port
    * Compatible with iPod touch [1G and 2G], iPod classic, iPod [5G*], iPod nano [1G*, 2G, 3G, and 4G] and iPhone 3G/3Gs [Flight mode]
    * Works with Onkyo AV Systems equipped with a USB Port and Audio/Video terminals
    * Single handset control via Onkyo A/V System’s RI (Remote Interactive) protocol
    * Dedicated remote control also supplied
    * Compatible with Windows XP/Vista

*Extended mode only.

Designed to partner Onkyo's award-winning range of AV receivers, as well as the company's new DAC-equipped A-5VL amplifier, the dock can also be used as a standalone device walongside any AV receiver/amplifier (equipped with a digital input) or a suitable standalone DAC.

Adding an ND-S1 Digital Media Transport to an AV or (DAC-equipped) hi-fi system effectively turns an iPod into versatile audiophile-grade multimedia server that can be held in the palm of a hand.

For maximum connection flexibility both optical and coaxial digital outputs are provided on the Transport's rear panel. A mini USB output allows connection and synchronisation between an iPod mounted on it and iTunes on a PC (audio from your computer can also be output from the ND-S1's digital audio outputs).

To ensure maximum audio fidelity Onkyo has added a high-precision Clock Reference (accurate to +/- 10ppm) to the Transport. This ensures that sonically harmful jitter levels are kept to an absolute minimum, ensuring truly outstanding, high definition sound quality.

Naturally, the ND-S1 Transport charges all compatible iPods when docked and will also charge/play back from the iPhone 3G/3Gs (in Flight Mode). The video output is of composite quality, perfectly adequate for casual viewing or monitoring.

A comprehensive remote control is supplied which allows most of the usual command functions one would expect (shuffle, repeat, resume etc). The Transport can also be integrated into Onkyo AV and Hi-Fi systems via RI (Remote Interactive), our well known control protocol which allows simple, one-remote control of the entire system.

Measuring just 205 x 175mm square and 35mm deep the transport will prove easy to accommodate in any AV/hi-fi system. The enhancement it'll give to your listening pleasure will most likely mean it won't be removed again any time soon.

Offline Voltraizer

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Media Transport
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 12:08 AM »
that's great news!!!!
the bypass transport is no longer exclusive to one audiophile brand!
yehey....onkyo now has an ipod transport dock w/c maximizes the use of external NOS or upsampling/oversampling DACs ...
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2009 at 12:13 AM by Voltraizer »
technics sl1200ltd gold,,Passlabs X250.5,dynaudio C1, rogue  super99,charisma audio ref1 mc 

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 12:19 AM »
indeed sir Voltraizer... very positive news as we continue to wish for further lowering of price point of this  kind of gadgets (including iPod/iTouch/etc) so more buddies may enjoy the hobby

another interesting feature:
video playback !!! we can watch movies with very good SQ from iPod/transport/dac/amp/transducer combo !!!  8)

Offline Voltraizer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2009 at 06:24 AM »
$245 is  a little expensive for  a dock-transport but when compared to the price of the wadia itransport dock , you save at least 35-40%... 8)
hope they lower the price a bit more...
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2009 at 06:27 AM by Voltraizer »
technics sl1200ltd gold,,Passlabs X250.5,dynaudio C1, rogue  super99,charisma audio ref1 mc 

Offline Voltraizer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 08:00 AM »
looking at the back portion of the onkyo dock (see pics above), i noticed that theres no addt'l  rca analog out unlike the wadia 170i but hey the objective of having transport is to be able to use outboard DACs to maximize SQ performance out of your ipod. hence, the coaxial/optical output is good enuf i guess.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2009 at 08:02 AM by Voltraizer »

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM »
Anybody knows if this is already available locally now? ???

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2009 at 12:20 PM »
iirc, UK on-line resellers only .. i was also informed said resellers oftentimes do not deliver to P.I.  :( .. i will wait for it to be available in the USA and Asia... hhmmm... btw, Japan stores might have this already  ::)

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2009 at 01:16 PM »
Thank you very much! Aesthetically i prefer this onkyo over wadia itransport which cost 23k pesos sa shang... hopefully this gear is also priced competitively when it reaches our shore.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2010 at 05:10 PM by leftover »

Offline Voltraizer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 11:50 AM »
googled and saw one@ebay  selling for  $189 plus $40 shipping & handling charges...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Onkyo-Digital-media-transport-for-iPod-ND-S1-S_W0QQitemZ390128767700QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item5ad57c92d4

can't resist the itch and bought one for myself ..
quoting my review
http://headphiles.org/index.php?topic=1457.0

At long last, the capability to bypass ipod’s internal DAC to external DAC of choice is no longer exclusive to WADIA.  Comes now Onkyo  ND-S1. This Digital Media Transport Ipod Docking Station has the ability to tap into your ipod’s stored digital  files and transport them directly to any external DAC, whether upsampling,oversampling and even NOS DAC.  This is the result of allowing  ONKYO to use apple’s authentication chip to decode the needed digital signal and let outboard dac to produce the so-called audiophile quality sound..
Obviously, any review on the SQ will now depend on the quality of the source and performance of the chosen DAC and it is not my intention to make such review. (review of DACs)
Good news: the price is half the price of the WADIA...and that is good SQ to the ears of music lover who want to extract the maximum quality that can be reproduced in your ipod if you want CD quality performance from such gadget assuming, of course, that the minimum music file type you will be using is lossless or even wav files.
The NDS1 rear shows the ff: coaxial and digital out, coax videoout, and a USB-out port (ipod to pc connection). The Dock also comes with the remote control  which let’s you control the ipod menu i.e.
next, previous, pause, stop..etc. The case looks plasticky and smaller compared to the wadia but the aluminum casing seems solid enough.I just noticed the lack of analog rca output but hey...the purpose of the transport is to allow the digital signal to be decoded elsewhere and logically,you have to make use of  the analog L&R out of your chosen DAC to be connected to your amp.
You may ask what tempted me to buy/ have a transport when the same can be done with laptops and pcs. I am convinced that the conclusion made in the Absolute Sound Mag (see link :http://headphiles.org/index.php?topic=1021.0)
is quite sound. The USB connection still  have not yet reach that audiophile quality status according to the absolute sound review.The conclusion drawn from such review is made with the  devise attached to full-audio system. Tried connecting my transport to my full audio system . The objective is to at least equal the performance or  even  approximate the CD quality  that can be extracted from my ipod and if the promise of  such company(wadia,apple and onkyo)  is true  then you can have CD quality performance out of your lossless files and here lies the convenience: you need not have to swap disc constantly. Of course, you will hear views on the contrary such as CD will sound better than a  mere digital track on the ipod .  Probably, misconception based on prevailing perception is ipod sound the same as before. (say 3-4 yrs backward) Most  feel  ipod still have that smallish lossy files played on limited GB storage. But the latest Ipod classic has 160GB and lossless files are  easy to process via itunes on your laps or pc.
The lossless file processing and bigger file storage capability are  evident improvement over the years and now, we are talking of CD quality performance out of your outboard DAC from ipod.
Link and Specs:
http://Http://www.eu.onkyo.com/press/press_release_en_8599729.html
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2010 at 07:38 AM by Voltraizer »

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 12:28 PM »
congrats atty Volt !!!  8)

Offline Voltraizer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 05:14 AM »
tnx doc! 8)

here's my ND-S1.....