Author Topic: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player  (Read 113507 times)

Offline andlisten

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Go ahead funk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player
« Reply #30 on: Oct 21, 2009 at 11:02 PM »
This might be the reason why it's only Page 1 for this thread... I'm waiting a little bit longer...

What do those specs mean? I'm too tired to research.  ;D

sir, I think In terms of chipset, WDTV Live uses the latest sigma and HDX 1000 is the same as WDTV1 chipset,correct me if im wrong. HDX housing is aluminum while WDTV Live is plastic (I presume similar to WDTV1)  but acdg to Bitstream HDX 1000 has many features that other NMTs dont have:-[
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2009 at 11:09 PM by andlisten »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Oct 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM »
www.iboum.com seems to give the WD Live 4 stars, while most other NMTs got 3 - wonder why ::)

I could see 3 ways of possibly getting the WD Live a bit cheaper:

1. Thru a US friend/relative who could buy it in Best Buy for $119
2. That Tipidpc seller offering at 6.5k (need to verify)
3. From any of our PDVD members/sellers who accepts orders from the US - maybe they could offer a group buy?

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #32 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 01:30 AM »
sir, I think In terms of chipset, WDTV Live uses the latest sigma and HDX 1000 is the same as WDTV1 chipset,correct me if im wrong. HDX housing is aluminum while WDTV Live is plastic (I presume similar to WDTV1)  but acdg to Bitstream HDX 1000 has many features that other NMTs dont have:-[

Thanks for clarifying sir, I guess it's really going to be a waiting game then.

www.iboum.com seems to give the WD Live 4 stars, while most other NMTs got 3 - wonder why ::)

I could see 3 ways of possibly getting the WD Live a bit cheaper:

1. Thru a US friend/relative who could buy it in Best Buy for $119
2. That Tipidpc seller offering at 6.5k (need to verify)
3. From any of our PDVD members/sellers who accepts orders from the US - maybe they could offer a group buy?

Hey brader... are we there yet?  ;D

Offline shainoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 09:06 AM »
Is the realtek chip better than the sigma. Anybody knows the difference?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 11:39 AM »
Seems like the age old question of Intel vs AMD chips to me...  ::)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #35 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM »
Is the realtek chip better than the sigma. Anybody knows the difference?

Seems like the age old question of Intel vs AMD chips to me...  ::)

ot:

although there is no "real" data to really say which chip is better, but by browsing over topics here in the nmt section and what i have seen during the cinematube eb (realtek). i can say imho, that realtek chips on the get go is really fast in booting and recognizing hard disk while the sigma chips even with the new one employed by the c-200 will be no match by the speed of the realtek chips (i can be wrong, but based on what i have seen 5 secs for boot-up and less than 10 secs for 1 tb hdd recognition, thats tough to beat). and another thing, realtek based players seems to be more affordable than sigma based players (this is based on same feature sets players) but of course there will be exceptions to this.

but one thing going for sigma chips is a lot of the multiple owners of both nmt/media player made comments here like that wdtv (sigma) and even egreats seems to give a better pq than the hd pros out there, even during the eb, the egreat (sigma) did show a slight edge in the pq department as against cinematube (realtek).

but i guess and hope some professional will soon make a review of said products and have "real" data to finally show which is better.  :)

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #36 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 01:04 PM »
ot:

although there is no "real" data to really say which chip is better, but by browsing over topics here in the nmt section and what i have seen during the cinematube eb (realtek). i can say imho, that realtek chips on the get go is really fast in booting and recognizing hard disk while the sigma chips even with the new one employed by the c-200 will be no match by the speed of the realtek chips (i can be wrong, but based on what i have seen 5 secs for boot-up and less than 10 secs for 1 tb hdd recognition, thats tough to beat). and another thing, realtek based players seems to be more affordable than sigma based players (this is based on same feature sets players) but of course there will be exceptions to this.

but one thing going for sigma chips is a lot of the multiple owners of both nmt/media player made comments here like that wdtv (sigma) and even egreats seems to give a better pq than the hd pros out there, even during the eb, the egreat (sigma) did show a slight edge in the pq department as against cinematube (realtek).

but i guess and hope some professional will soon make a review of said products and have "real" data to finally show which is better.  :)

I'm no professional in this regard, and certainly no audio/video phile. :D

I also dont have a NMT, only realtek based media player.

My observation is based on realtek media player vs. Media Player Classic on windows.

Although acceptable, I noticed that my realtek players seems more grainy and has detail loss especially on dark scenes. And colors are a bit washed out. Not sure if this is also the case for NMTs out there. ;)

Note:
I'm not sure if this has got something to do with my observation, but I used VGA cable to connect my laptop on my TV (no HDMI out for my laptop). While the media players used HDMI.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009 at 01:15 PM by Tempter »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 01:32 PM »
ot:

but i guess and hope some professional will soon make a review of said products and have "real" data to finally show which is better.  :)

OT:

maybe you can start a thread on sigma vs. realtek  ;D

even if the sigma based nmt i'm using is slower, I can't give up the feature of installing a moviejukebox such as YAMJ and different skins. The experience is entirely different as compared to just simply browsing folders or files. It's easier and faster.

I've read the xtreamer has their own jukebox but it isn't really customizable like those for sigma based chips.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 01:40 PM »
ot:

Thanks for sharing brader Aynz ;)

So, to sum up your observation:

Sigma = better PQ
Realtek = faster boot time

I do have the WD first version and I cant complain on its speed when booting up my 2 1tb HDD connected to it. Well, the WD is the first thing I power-on before I power other components & roll down my pj screen - so by the time I get settled comfortably, the WD player is ready to go.
I could only assume that the newer WD Live hopefully be faster than the first version due to a more advance Sigma chip.

I am also guessing that when watching movies via 32"-42" LCD or plasma, either a Sigma or Realtek based player would basically have the same PQ.........but from other members' feedback, it seems Realteks is still a bit behind in the PQ department.

This could be a concern most specially to those who have non-1080p projectors - as you know, a better PQ helps a lot ;)

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #39 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 01:56 PM »
maybe it is just me as i find my m34a(sigma chip) has a granier pic output than my xtreamer lalo na sa dark scenes. Note that default lang ang settings ko(both for tv and the player). But i can also say that when i still have my wdtv1, it also has a more refined pq than the egreat, to think that both used the sigma chip. Baka firmware ang salarin ::)

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #40 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 02:00 PM »
maybe it is just me as i find my m34a(sigma chip) has a granier pic output than my xtreamer lalo na sa dark scenes. Note that default lang ang settings ko(both for tv and the player). But i can also say that when i still have my wdtv1, it also has a more refined pq than the egreat, to think that both used the sigma chip. Baka firmware ang salarin ::)

naisip ko din yan na baka firmware yan (proper color implementation or what) kasi m34a and wdtv uses the same sigma chip eh..

ill try to recalibrate my tv with xtreamer..kasi naka calibrate pala sa wdtv ung display namin..totally forgot that  :-X

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #41 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 02:08 PM »

That's a big possibility, they might have added some post processing to sharpen the image resulting in grainier picture.  ::)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #42 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 03:10 PM »

WDTV Live now available at Challenger shop in Singapore at 209sgd (around 6.5kPHP).

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 06:32 PM »
WDTV Live now available at Challenger shop in Singapore at 209sgd (around 6.5kPHP).

Anyone going to Singapore?  ;D

Offline switi

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 06:50 PM »
I used to have a wdtv, then an egreat, now an xteamer. so what are my personal observations

PQ is the same for all three, all can be tweaked to your liking, color, contrast , hue etc.
but speed in booting, recognition of hdd. the best realtek. the wdtv and egreat are like turtles compared to a horse having a leg race.

my own opinion lang.
yamaha rxv640 PS3 B&W 602 egreat34a wdtv panapv8 and now XTREAMER

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 07:25 PM »
good thing for me I have nothing to compare it with for this would be my first hehehe...

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 07:57 PM »

Sir, What's the address of challenger shop? My brod-in-law is in Singapore right now. Magpapabili ako. ;D

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 11:58 PM »
Sir, What's the address of challenger shop? My brod-in-law is in Singapore right now. Magpapabili ako. ;D

Meron sa FUNAN Mall City Hall, Eastpt Mall Simei at Tampines1 Mall Tampines. All near mrt.

Offline shainoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 08:39 AM »
Mga Sir, do you Think that we just wait na lang muna to buy the more expensive nmt after the sigma vs realtek chips have been fully tested/analyzed/scrutinized. I saw a HDX last night and it looks so pro.

Offline leftover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 09:18 AM »
Mga Sir, do you Think that we just wait na lang muna to buy the more expensive nmt after the sigma vs realtek chips have been fully tested/analyzed/scrutinized. I saw a HDX last night and it looks so pro.

sir, imo, scrutinizing between chipsets is like running around a circle, walang katapusan yan. there are pros and cons to it. Ang magiging endpoint is what satisfies you...i have experienced using nmts with the two processors, may mas mahal at mas mabagal pero maganda ang GUI(other users dont mind waiting for a longer boot time coz they have other things to mind prior watching like setting up the pj and screen or ihanda ang tsitsirya ;D, while others gusto pag-on ng unit nood agad). Ako mayroon nmt na puedeng maglagay ng hdd sa loob coz i want it to be in a permanent place, while the other one ang nagustuhan ko is the ability to bring it with me when i go to other location, puede ko ibulsa :D. Yung price i think is not a factor kasi kahit mahal kung nagagawa yung "kailangan mo" at kaya mo bilhin go for it...or pag ipunan mo. ;D

Just back read all threads re nmts, accumulate the pros and cons, then decide for yourself. Kasi pag maghihintay ka kung ano yung  tested at reliable, baka obsolete na ang current sigma/realtek... ;D ;D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM »
In my eye popping back read I learned that NMTs and MPs are like liquor, gusto mo mura, smooth, at magaang dalin.

But the best simile I got was an email from a distro who said and I quote, they're like women, we want them tall, slim, graceful and smart but most of all cheap.

I believe what he meant was we cannot get everything from one product.

Offline leftover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM »

But the best simile I got was an email from a distro who said and I quote, they're like women, we want them tall, slim, graceful and smart but most of all cheap.

Jo, gusto ko itong simile, dagdag mo lang na sana kahawig ni angelina jolie o kaya ni anna kournikova kahit cheapo ok lang ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM by leftover »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 24, 2009 at 03:22 PM »

Here's the response of iboum in giving the WD LIVE 4 stars:

Thanks for the posts.
The thing with this player is not that it is perfect, but that it is better than the rest. Every player has it's problems. Xtreamer/ACRyan-fan, realteks/sigma8635-poor or slow interface, Tvix6600-price. The combination of performance, price, availability from a trusted brand, and no major problems is why we gave the WDTV Live 4*. More people will be happy with the WDTV Live than with any of the other players.
I will add something about the component problem to this page, as it is significant (although most people will use HDMI). The other problems you mention tend to vary according to the user and are fairly 'minor' to the bigger picture.

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 24, 2009 at 03:32 PM »
Meron sa FUNAN Mall City Hall, Eastpt Mall Simei at Tampines1 Mall Tampines. All near mrt.

Thanks sir! Sayang hindi umabot.

Offline Bluebeard

• Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 24, 2009 at 05:58 PM »
Based on specs, perhaps 4 stars, but overall 2 stars only because of VERY POOR SUPPORT by WDC as per experience of WDTV owners including me.  :(

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 01:39 AM »
Hi, would you please elaborate on the very poor support of wdc?

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 06:52 AM »

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM »
Hi, would you please elaborate on the very poor support of wdc?

I think this has more to do with the lack of DTS downmix for the first WDTV which has been adapted by most of the popular NMTs, even if, as some has reported, the hardware of the original, is capable of doing the downmix. 

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 01:46 PM »
I think this has more to do with the lack of DTS downmix for the first WDTV which has been adapted by most of the popular NMTs, even if, as some has reported, the hardware of the original, is capable of doing the downmix. 

Having a WD1 myself, I've read a lot of forums where owners were clamoring for a DTS downmix - which at the time WD was trying to secure its license.
At this point, its purely speculation what corporate decision WD has with the license if it would still provide to the WD1 or just start anew with the WD2 instead.

Due to a lot of owner's opinions & recommendations, WD may have felt that whatever FW may be created for the WD1 - it may never be competitive with a lot of newer media players of today and that creating a new player from scratch would be more of an ideal solution.
Definitely, some changes/additions to its hardware & chipset was in order to achieve their corporate goals - which is why WD2 or LIVE was created.   

Offline Bluebeard

• Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 07:46 PM »

It's not only the DTS downmix. There other suggestions from WDTV owners and FW upgrade promises by WDTV that are just that.... PROMISES!  :(  :-\

See=> http://wdtv.uservoice.com/pages/17442-general