Author Topic: The X-Files  (Read 23545 times)

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The X-Files
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 03:01 AM »
gonz: Thanks for the correction.  I think I got the term Gray-Haired Man from one of those XF forums.

As for Small Potatoes, yup it was actually written by Vince Gilligan (one of my favorite writers, who also wrote eps such as Pusher, Paper Hearts, Bad Blood and Unusual Suspects), but starred Darin Morgan, being his sort of a "farewell" to writing for the X-Files.

And yes, Darin Morgan episodes are indeed classics :)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 01:36 AM »
Updates and *BUMP*

Spoilers

I just viewed the first of a two-part intro to season nine.  To sum up:  Duchovny is definitely gone, Gillian is leaving, and we have a new "Mulder and Scully" handling the X-Files.

Annabeth Gish plays Special Agent Monica Reyes (aka "The New Scully", no matter how much Chris Carter claims otherwise -- she could pass for an imperfect, less striking clone of GA).  Among the cases Reyes handled in the NY FBI field office was the disappearance of 8-year-old Luke Dogget, son of then-NY police detective John Doggett.  He later convinced Reyes to join him on the X-Files.

Reyes joins Special Agent John Doggett, a hard-nosed, ex-NY cop who believes every case can be solved using standard investigative techniques.  He was assigned to head up the FBI task force probing Mulder's disappearance.

Also joining the cast is Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride, Liar Liar, Hot Shots, Twister) as Assistant Director Brad Follmer, ex-SAC of the NY field office, where he carried on an illicit affair with Agent Monica Reyes.

Lucy Lawless (Xena, warrior princess)  stars in the season nine opener as a mysterious woman who drags you down --  literally.  :)

My take, in brief:  where o where are Mulder and Scully?  I'm lukewarm about Gish, although Patrick as Doggett is compellingly watchable.  The writing on the show appears to have retained the fine quality of its glory days, but that may just be because the season nine intro episodes were written by veteran heavy hitters Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz.  The concept though for this opening two-parter strikes me as particularly silly.  However, I am willing to stick around for at least the next episode to see if Carter and co. will deliver a satisfying explanation.

My forecast:  without both Duchovny and GA, this will be the show's last season.  Gish is boring and not as easy on the eyes as GA.  Of course, I could be wrong -- you know that nothing ever really dies on The X-Files.  ;)
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 03:59 AM »
Hi, Gonz

Mulder and Scully will definitely live on---in the next X-Files movie. Carter has confirmed that X-Files 2 will proceed and air next year with Duchovny and Armstrong on board.

So maybe Carter is doing to X-Files what Paramount did to Star Trek: watch the old lovable reliables onscreen while build a new cast and future successor to the franchise on TV.

I'm open to that---but to be honest, your news was depressing. With Mulder and Scully gone, what will happen to the other fascinating characters like CSM? And will Cary Elwes take over Skinner? I like Cary ELWEs as an ctor, but please, I don't want to lose Skinner, too.

Trekker

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 04:08 AM »
I've seen no indication so far that Mitch Pileggi is leaving the show as well -- although Cary Elwes' character appears to have taken over Skinner's office.  Hmmm.

Likewise, both Skinner and CSM still appear in the show's cast on thex-files.com.  But this may not mean much since Krycek does as well, and...

Spoiler

...he was apparently shot and killed in the season eight finale.

But as I said, nothing ever really dies on the show.  ;)

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 11:33 PM »
I just watched the first episode of Season 9 last Sunday, and guess what Mitch Pileggi is already in the opening credits after Gillian, Robert Patrick, Annabeth Gish and Mr. Pileggi.  Cary Elwes is mentioned as a  star, but the official site indicated that he'll be a regular member of the cast.  Lucy Lawless, looks thinner and not as testosteroned as Xena.  

I won't give away the plot, some members might scorn me for it.  But, it's a little different since its already Doggett and Reyes in the spotlight, and they're showing less and less of Scully, which I think this will be her last season.  

Call me biased but I think Gillian Anderson is much more glamorous than Annabeth Gish.  It'll take a while to get used to Special Agent Monica Reyes, though she showed a bare back in her first shot in the episode (She just woke up, and wore only her black nightime panties, hehehe):)
Listen to the silence...

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2002 at 08:00 PM »
It seems that this will be the last season of The X-Files:

Closing The X-Files

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2002 at 10:24 PM »

It seems that this will be the last season of The X-Files:

Closing The X-Files

Yup, and about damn time, too.  The show should have ended two or three years ago, when it was still on top and actually still good.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2002 at 08:45 PM »

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2002 at 11:12 AM »
It's been really a long while since I last watched this show...  I think the last episodes I watched before totally tuning out were Triangle, and Dreamland, Parts 1 and 2.  I used to be such a big fan of this show.  I used to be able to name the titles of the episodes for the first 3 seasons in chronological order.  Heck, I even used Mulder's FBI badge number as password para sa Windows nung kasikatan pa ng show...  I just got kinda tired of how repetitive the show seemed to get in the later seasons, and the conspiracy that seemed to be going nowhere...  Plus, my attention has shifted to Buffy during those later years...  Hope they would still be able to tell a decent story for the second movie...  I still might check it out....
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
Duchovny to Return as Mulder in 'X-Files' Finale
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2002 at 12:35 AM »
Duchovny to Return as Mulder in 'X-Files' Finale

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Turns out the truth really is out there and so is former "X-Files" star David Duchovny.

The Fox television network said Duchovny, whose participation in a series finale was uncertain when the show's retirement was announced last month, will indeed appear in a final two-hour send-off.

Details of the final five episodes are under wraps, but Fox, which broadcasts the show, and series creator Chris Carter have promised that many of the questions raised in the show's nine seasons will finally be answered.

[Read more.]

Offline melkeith

• Collector
  • Still a slacker.
  • Liked:
Re:The X-Files
« Reply #40 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 05:34 PM »
I could not find the time to watch the latest X-Files episodes, but I have been following developments about the show on the Net.  I have read the transcript of the final episode "The Truth" and I must say it was a satisfying enough conclusion.

The episode tried to wrap up the sometimes contradictory story elements of the Conspiracy mythology through quasi-legal court proceedings, so to the occasional X-File viewer it may raise more questions.

The fate of the Cigarette Smoking Man is shown, as well as the last piece of information missing from the planned alien viral apocalypse.

Does anybody here know when the local TV channels will air this episode?

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 30, 2002 at 09:40 AM »
Hey, didn't know we had an Xfiles thread here!  :-\ :)...Been watching it from Seasons 1 - 4 since...forever? ;D, on DVD. Must say Season 4 has the most well-written stories. ;)

Here's something interesting from Mighty Big TV:

A blow by blow account of SEASON 9 including the ENDING, if you like to read SPOILERS: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show.cgi?show=5

An XFiles FAQ:
http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/faq.cgi?show=5

There was one interesting commentary about the final episode in this site but I couldn't find it.   :-\;D
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2002 at 09:41 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #42 on: Nov 01, 2002 at 08:14 AM »
*bump*

I want to believe... and get the DVDs... :)

Would anyone know if they'll release X-Files Seasons DVDs for Region 3? I'm hoping this'll be cheaper like around P2000. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2002 at 08:16 AM by DViant »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #43 on: Nov 01, 2002 at 02:29 PM »
Ahem, ahem... *cough**hack*

Let me have this opportunity to pimp my new e-group at Yahoo! that explores the intricacies of our favorite FBI Agents. The link is right below my signature on this post. Just click on it and sign up.

Hope to see you all there!  ;D ;D ;D

Some of us have already seen the finale (which one member has a copy of... ;D)
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2002 at 04:19 PM by Dan »

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 02:00 PM »
I was able to download The Truth (finale), and I've had it for months, but still I can't get my self to see it.  I'd like to watch the previous myth arc episodes first, to prepare myself for the end...

Hey Dan, so you're a member of the cXm, xfphil, xfm mailing lists too, huh? :)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 02:31 PM »
I was able to download The Truth (finale), and I've had it for months, but still I can't get my self to see it.  I'd like to watch the previous myth arc episodes first, to prepare myself for the end...

Me too, flyderman - I just downloaded the finale but I want to view the other episodes first or I'm afraid the inside jokes would be lost on me.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 04:18 PM »

Hey Dan, so you're a member of the cXm, xfphil, xfm mailing lists too, huh? :)

Only cXm, tfc and xf-manila. Me and another guy from The Basement Office (a.k.a. tfc) seem to be the only ones talking on xf-manila (cXm seems to have revived somewhat with some off topic discussions  ;D )

You're a member of cXm diba? Why you all so quiet, especially since last night's ep?  ;)

Gumby, buti na lang you weren't at the first slayerthon I went to (we signed up to the group almost at the same time diba?) Redmary brought along her finale episode and we all got soooo spoiled  ;D

Guys, sign up na  :) the URL is below. We need more members.  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2002 at 04:22 PM by Dan »

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 08, 2002 at 07:02 PM »
Hey Dan,

What episode was that, 2 nights ago?  Thing is, halfway through season 7, I lost track of the episodes, so now that I'd like to see later episodes, I can't because I'd like to see the previous ones first.  :P

I haven't heard about tfc, but I'm a member of all the rest you mention, I think.  There's another where I'm originally in, the xflips mailing list.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 09, 2002 at 03:06 AM »
Hey Dan,

What episode was that, 2 nights ago?  Thing is, halfway through season 7, I lost track of the episodes, so now that I'd like to see later episodes, I can't because I'd like to see the previous ones first.  :P

I haven't heard about tfc, but I'm a member of all the rest you mention, I think.  There's another where I'm originally in, the xflips mailing list.

The most recent episode  was "Badlaa", vengeful mystic goes berserk.

I think i've been to xflips once or twice. They seem to be the only one of the many pinoy x-phile groups that are actually active, am i right?

Of course, we at The Basement Office (this is the tfc I'm telling you about) are trying our best too. I just formed this e-group/ML about a week ago. The URL is below and the reason why the name of the group and site is different because I'm paying homage to one of the oldest X-Philes sites on the net  which is also known as "The File Cabinet" and a feel for Mulder and Scully's Basement Office, hence, The Basement Office official name.

You don't really need to see other previous ep's to follow the continuity, that's the great thing about x. They have so many off-kilter storylines in between arcs you'll just fall comfortably in the groove once you've settled in.  ;)

Okay, time for blatant pimping. ;D  I'm serious about the invites. Just click on the URL below my sig. or PM me your email addy so i can include you in the list. Some PinoyDVD people have already signed up. We need more members and also I'm trying to get through to the other x-lists to wake them up or sumthin, c'mon! This is the X-Files! A show we love! ;D . It's good to network and get together, I always say  ;D

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 12, 2002 at 07:45 PM »
I'm in, Dan.  Signed up a few days ago.  And I'll post something sometime, as soon as I think of something :)

Offline Fantômas

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 13, 2002 at 02:09 AM »
In France, the M6 Channel is currently broadcasting the 9th (last ?) season, and I must tell I'm still a real fan of the series, I think it's one of the best SF series ever produced. Robert Patrick is very good, and some recent episodes were truly frightening.
Some older series are also frequently seen on satellite channels, such as "The Outer Limits".

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 13, 2002 at 04:06 AM »
I'm in, Dan.  Signed up a few days ago.  And I'll post something sometime, as soon as I think of something :)

Send in your quizlet so we can all get to know 'ya  ;D

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 13, 2002 at 04:11 AM »
In France, the M6 Channel is currently broadcasting the 9th (last ?) season, and I must tell I'm still a real fan of the series

Yes, X-Files ended with 9 seasons. "The Truth" was shown in May of this year.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 03, 2002 at 11:54 PM »
Wednesday, December4, 2002 on the X-Files:

On Studio 23: "DeadAlive" episode #8x15.

A body floating in the water may give hope, Dogget comes face to face
with an old X-Files nemesis and The Lone Gunmen make an appearance.
Written by Chris Carter & Frank Spotnitz. Directed by Tony Wharmby.

On Star World this Sunday: "Salvage" episode #8x10.

Vengeful Metal Mutant wreaks havoc in the city. Written by Jeffrey
Bell. Directed by Rod Hardy.

Special Note on last week's episode on Studio 23:

Much of the Special Agent Monica Reyes backgrounder is culled from
source materials from The FBI's 1992 report on "Satanic Ritual Abuse".
This can be found at
http://www.rickross.com/reference/satanism/satanism1.html

P.S. The guy running this huge-@ss site, Rick Ross, looks like a narc.  ;D

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 08, 2002 at 10:19 PM »
hi! i'm relatively young in watching xf (started in S6 after i chanced upon Luke Wilson during RPN-9's S5 re-runs ;D ) but i'm practically a virgin in pinoy-xphiles sites! i'm just in one local forum whereas i have a daily "regimen" of int'l sites that i go to.

how can i join the mailing lists?  can you post the url or something? thanks.

btw, anybody here have s9 eps? i've only seen Lord of the Flies, William, TN1 and The Truth. anyone here has NIHT1&2, Provenance/Providence and Improbable?

Amor Fati

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 09, 2002 at 04:43 PM »
Hey scully923,

Yay! An X-Phile! I'm glad you asked.

Click on this link and once you get there, hit the "Join this group" button. I'll let you in The Basement Office personally  ;)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_file_cabinet/

Hope to see you there!
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2002 at 04:57 PM by Dan »

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2002 at 09:36 PM »
i just joined  ;D

manila bureau ha!

heheh
Amor Fati

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Dec 09, 2002 at 10:26 PM »
Op kors, where else?  ;D

Approved your membership na. You should be getting the R & R's and Quizlet. Reply to the quizlet so we can all get to know 'ya  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2002 at 10:30 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 11, 2002 at 01:03 AM »
On Studio 23: "Three Words", episode #8x18.

Mulder's back! Mulder's back! But can he return to the X-Files? A
familiar password surfaces, supposedly the key to the Alien Conpiracy
and a one-on-one between Mulder and Dogget. Who will win? Fight! Fight!

Written by Chris Carter & Frank Spotnitz. Directed by Tony Wharmby.

On Sunday at Star World: "Badlaa", episode #8x12.

A mystic smuggles himself to America and terrorizes two suburban
Washington families.

Written by John Shiban. Directed by Tony Wharmby.

Join Fox Mulder's Basement Office at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_file_cabinet/

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12, 2002 at 04:46 PM »
Evil Studio 23 pulled a fast one and showed a replay last night.  >:(

Star World broadcast is confirmed, though.