Author Topic: Best flat screen 42"-46" for approx P70K available locally? Plasma preferred  (Read 2167 times)

Offline rickyg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Was thinking of getting Panasonic 42v20 (were 46v20s made?) but apparently they're tough to come by these days as this was last year's model.

I'm more concerned with picture quality.  All other bells and whistles are just plusses.  Prefer internet tv over 3D, and 3d is not a necessity.

I'm buying the tv mostly for watching blu ray movies but it will also be used for watching cable (nothing we can do about cable broadcast quality here).  Will probably be used for minimal gaming but that's not the main consideration.

My research points me to getting a 50" and above plasma but that's just too big for the room.  46 inch is the max I can go. And I don't mind getting a 42 if I can get better quality at that max price. Will consider LED LCD based on PQ but it seems i'd have to go to the top of the line Sony to get to Panasonic's plasma PQ.

Thanks in advance for everyones inputs.

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
... Panasonic 42v20 ...

Precisely what I was going to recommend.  I suggest you don't give up.  Did you look in Anson's Ortigas?  They still had them 1-2 months ago.

I can confidently recommend the P42V20 because I auditioned almost all the flat screens at Anson's before deciding on the Pana even though it was above what I'd planned to spend and was the "new" model at the time.  It really stood out above the crowed, and still does according to the Pana rep who assisted me then. 

The only thing that goes against the P42V20 is the power consumption, which is true of all plasma TVs.  I eventually solved this problem by replacing the TV in our bedroom with a LCD, then buying a second one for the kids :).  Oh and I also got a small LCD to use when viewing the NMT selection when listening to music.  These will go along way I think to preserve the plasma for "special" viewing sessions.

Good luck hunting.
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
... and take note, the bigger plasmas offered locally by other manufacturers are not Full HD (1080p) but rather only HD Ready (720p).
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline rickyg

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
I'm still holding out for the 42v20. The price isn't bad either. I'm having the guys at SNS look for one for me.  I'm just afraid I'm a bit late into the game and they don't have the VT30/GT30s in stock yet.

Are there alternatives you can recommend? Even if I have to spend the entire 70k...

Offline Mannyx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
I think I saw a Panasonic 42v20 at SM MOA or Makati last week. It's 40% off so around P58k na lang yata. Batter call these stores na lang.

Offline rickyg

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
I think I saw a Panasonic 42v20 at SM MOA or Makati last week. It's 40% off so around P58k na lang yata. Batter call these stores na lang.

I think all they have are display units.  Are those even worth considering?

There doesn't seem to be any full HD plasmas available at the 42-46" size now.  It's funny that I'm trying to spend money but nobody can seem to take it because of lack of available product.

Offline rickyg

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Assuming I find one, how much should a bnew 42v20 go for these days?

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
I think all they have are display units.  Are those even worth considering?

Display units are the best assuming the dealer is a reputable one.  No lemon risk.

Try Anson's.  From experience, they have more latitude in giving discounts than other mall stores, and as far as I can tell they don't need to move their merchandise around as much as others.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Assuming I find one, how much should a bnew 42v20 go for these days?

Most of us bought the 42V20 between 60-66K in 2010.  Anything below that price is OK because the V20 is only bettered by the VT30 up to now, regardless of 3D functions of other brands.

But then if a local seller can bring in 65VT30, they should be able to bring in 42VT30 or 50VT30 as well - mas mainstream yung sizes na yon...and there is a good chance that 42VT30 would meet your 70K budget ceiling.

Problema sa display unit ay GASGAS - but if you dont mind those.  Kung 58K yung display unit, mahal yon.  At least 20& depreciation dapat.

There was a time when I saw the 42V20 being offered at 39.9K by Vic SNS in this site.   I asked to confirm that price but he never replied. It could be a typo for 42U20.

Offline rickyg

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Finally found a 42v20 bnew!

Thanks everyone!

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:

How much and where?

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:

Thanks everyone!

Congratulations!

Suggestion lang brader: buy a LCD or LED too for regular viewing.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline rickyg

• Apprentice
  • Liked:

Offline rickyg

• Apprentice
  • Liked:

Congratulations!

Suggestion lang brader: buy a LCD or LED too for regular viewing.

What do you mean? I can only fit one TV in the bedroom.  I'm getting a separate HT screen next month...for the HT.