Author Topic: FIFA WORLD CUP 2010  (Read 20199 times)

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
FIFA WORLD CUP 2010
« on: Dec 04, 2009 at 07:40 AM »
Starting a thread for PDVD Football fanatics ;D

Sony to Release World Cup Blu-ray in 3-D
Posted December 3, 2009 02:37 PM by Josh Dreuth

Sony Sony has signed an exclusive agreement with FIFA to broadcast the upcoming 2010 World Cup in 3-D and will bring the excitement to Blu-ray in 3-D as well. While the Blu-ray 3-D specs have yet to be approved by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), Sony pressing forward and will have their 3-D cameras filming up to 25 matches for the release.

You may post all views and forecasts here... favorite international players, country cheering for, live game venues and schedules, latest news etc :D

THE WORLD IS WAITING
Thursday 3 December 2009

The Final Draw of the FIFA World Cup™ is an occasion that the fans of the 32 qualifying nations and football lovers in general always look forward to, though the same cannot be said of the national coaches involved. That same blend of anticipation and dread will be in evidence once more on Friday evening when the Final Draw of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa takes place at the Cape Town International Convention Centre.

Algeria   England   Korea DPR   Serbia
Argentina   France   Korea Republic   Slovakia
Australia   Germany   Mexico   Slovenia
Brazil   Ghana   Netherlands   South Africa
Cameroon   Greece   New Zealand   Spain
Chile   Honduras   Nigeria   Switzerland
Côte d'Ivoire   Italy   Paraguay   Uruguay
Denmark   Japan   Portugal   USA

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
Re: FIFA WORLD CUP 2010
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 05:15 PM »
Capello not worried by 'Group of Death'

Fabio Capello insists he does not fear England ending up in a 'group of death' in tonight's draw for the World Cup finals.

But he has warned of the strength of the six African countries.

England are one of the eight top seeds for the draw and so guaranteed to avoid the powerhouses of world football such as bookies' favourites Brazil, holders Italy and European champions Spain in the group stage.

But France and Portugal are among the unseeded European teams who could end up in England's pool - as well as several tough African teams such as an Ivory Coast side boasting Didier Drogba and Barcelona's Yaya Toure.

Pots for tonight's draw - eight groups of four countries to be drawn, each group containing one country from each pot:

Pot 1 (seeds)
South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Holland, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England.

Pot 2 (Asia, Oceania and North/Central America)
Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras.

Pot 3 (Africa and South America)
Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay.

Pot 4 (Europe)
France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia.

Offline chizcake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 09:19 PM »
thank you po

nice to see that football popularity is growing in the Philippines

i believe in football!!!

i am looking forward for the World Cup!
37LD460
BDP1500
RXV-450
A-Audio Tablette 5' FS
WH2 Center
KLH Surround

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 09:34 PM »
Capello not worried by 'Group of Death'

Fabio Capello insists he does not fear England ending up in a 'group of death' in tonight's draw for the World Cup finals.

But he has warned of the strength of the six African countries.

England are one of the eight top seeds for the draw and so guaranteed to avoid the powerhouses of world football such as bookies' favourites Brazil, holders Italy and European champions Spain in the group stage.

But France and Portugal are among the unseeded European teams who could end up in England's pool - as well as several tough African teams such as an Ivory Coast side boasting Didier Drogba and Barcelona's Yaya Toure.

Pots for tonight's draw - eight groups of four countries to be drawn, each group containing one country from each pot:

Pot 1 (seeds)
South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Holland, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England.

Pot 2 (Asia, Oceania and North/Central America)
Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras.

Pot 3 (Africa and South America)
Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay.

Pot 4 (Europe)
France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia.

Drogba's in amazing form this season. The guy's practically unstoppable. I'm still rooting for England, my sentimental favorite.

I'd open a Barclays Premiership League thread but I don't think anyone will join the discussions.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2009 at 09:35 PM by indie boi »

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2009 at 05:16 PM »
groupings for world cup.

group A: south africa, mexico, uruguay, france
group B: argentina, nigeria, south korea, greece
group C: england, united states, algeria, slovenia
group D: germany, australia, serbia, ghana
group E: netherlands, denmark, japan, cameroon
group F: italy, paraguay, new zealand, slovakia
group G: brazil, north korea, ivory coast, portugal
group H: spain, switzerland, honduras, chile

cnn reckons that the group of death is group g.
peace man!

Offline The Stig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2009 at 11:51 PM »
Thats a pretty even spread. Only 1 or 2 "traditional" powerhouses per group.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 04:46 PM »
thank you po

nice to see that football popularity is growing in the Philippines

i believe in football!!!

i am looking forward for the World Cup!

nice to hear from fellow pdvd member looking forward for the World Cup!
Football popularity is not that bigtime but, yes, growing!
hope to hear more from you soon ;)

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 04:51 PM »
Drogba's in amazing form this season. The guy's practically unstoppable. I'm still rooting for England, my sentimental favorite.

I'd open a Barclays Premiership League thread but I don't think anyone will join the discussions.

sorry bro but I hate drogba in EPL, he broke our hearts last week at the Emirates Stadium :)

definitely drogba's form in the World Cup is one of those worth waiting for

I'm rooting for Spain, Netherlands and France (where my favorite Gunners will line-up!) ;D

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 04:53 PM »
groupings for world cup.

group A: south africa, mexico, uruguay, france
group B: argentina, nigeria, south korea, greece
group C: england, united states, algeria, slovenia
group D: germany, australia, serbia, ghana
group E: netherlands, denmark, japan, cameroon
group F: italy, paraguay, new zealand, slovakia
group G: brazil, north korea, ivory coast, portugal
group H: spain, switzerland, honduras, chile

cnn reckons that the group of death is group g.

i agree identifying group g as group of death
parang saling-pusa lang n. korea dito ;D

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 04:57 PM »
Thats a pretty even spread. Only 1 or 2 "traditional" powerhouses per group.

oo nga bro group g and a lang ang medyo "masikip" :)

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 05:06 PM »

2010 World Cup Draw
Beckham, Theron & Capello

Offline berdilot™

• Trade Count: (+135)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 03:21 AM »
I'm excited for FIFA 2010. Ang tagal din ng pagaantay natin. ;D

Too bad Philippines was unable to register on time.  :(
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2009 at 03:22 AM by berdilot »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 02:08 PM »
Player to Watch: Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal

Ronaldo: Elephants clash is key

Cristiano Ronaldo has emphasised the importance of hitting the ground running at next summer's FIFA World Cup™ after Portugal were handed one of the toughest possible draws for the group stages.

Portugal, who reached the finals courtesy of a play-off win over Bosnia-Herzegovina, must battle against Brazil, Côte d'Ivoire and Korea DPR for a place in the last 16 of the competition. Five-time winners Brazil are the favourites for the tournament while African powerhouses Côte d'Ivoire boast players of the calibre of Didier Drogba, Yaya and Kolo Toure, Emmanuel Eboue and Salomon Kalou.

And it is Portugal's clash with the Ivorians that Ronaldo believes could be crucial, with the two nations starting their Group G against each other in Port Elizabeth. "Winning the first match will be very important," said Ronaldo, who could come up against Real Madrid team-mates Kaka and Marcelo as well as former Manchester United companion Anderson in the Brazil side.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2009 at 09:36 AM by eksi »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 08:31 PM »
England

Capello: We will be respectful

Fabio Capello, England coach

It’s going to be good not to have to move from the place where we’re going to stay for our opening game, but we have difficult opponents who we must respect. USA are a good team, but so are Algeria and Slovenia. Every opponent at a World Cup is going to be difficult. We’re playing the last two group games at sea level, so that’s going to be a different challenge from our opening match in Rustenburg. But I won’t be offering excuses. Every team will have to meet awkward opponents, play in difficult conditions and win matches to win the World Cup. We’ve played and beaten USA and Slovenia recently, both are well-organised, they like to pass the ball and they’ll be good opponents. Algeria beat Egypt and they are a good team too, but I have to learn more about them. I know from experience as a player that when you play here (in the FIFA World Cup™) the pressure is different and the mentality is different. But are we going to win the World Cup? We have to!
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2009 at 09:37 AM by eksi »

Offline zugzwang

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 12:07 AM »
sorry bro but I hate drogba in EPL, he broke our hearts last week at the Emirates Stadium :)

definitely drogba's form in the World Cup is one of those worth waiting for

I'm rooting for Spain, Netherlands and France (where my favorite Gunners will line-up!) ;D

England's my sentimental favorite also. But my bets are on Spain to repeat their 2008 Euro Championships glory in the 2010 World Cup.

(OT: Another Gunners fan here, too).

Cheers!

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2009 at 09:40 AM »
England's my sentimental favorite also. But my bets are on Spain to repeat their 2008 Euro Championships glory in the 2010 World Cup.

(OT: Another Gunners fan here, too).

Cheers!

About the Spanish side...

On a scale of one to ten, Spain's performance in qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ can only be given top marks. On top of wins in each of their ten games, La Roja were the European Zone's second top scorers with 28 goals while conceding a miserly five at the other end. Maturity, resilience and the ability to overcome adversity were all in evidence during their campaign, and few national teams in world football are blessed with squads of such depth and sheer talent. The Iberians have not rested on the laurels of their UEFA EURO 2008 victory, consistently bringing in new faces without renouncing their commitment to attractive short-passing football.

The road to South Africa
The title of European champions inevitably meant that Spain's opponents redoubled their efforts to claim what would be a notable scalp. Their narrow 1-0 win against Bosnia-Herzegovina - courtesy of a solitary strike from David Villa - was typical of the kind of gritty resistance they have had to overcome since Austria/Switzerland. And though Armenia and Estonia were dispatched relatively comfortably, an away clash in Belgium and a double-header against EURO 2008 semi-finalists Turkey forced the Spaniards to dig deep for nine valuable points.

Following a 2-1 win in Brussels, when they fought back to clinch victory via an 88th-minute Villa strike, came a 1-0 success over Turkey in Madrid, the goal coming from Gerard Pique. The return in Istanbul marked another 2-1 comeback triumph courtesy of goals from Xabi Alonso and then Liverpool team-mate Albert Riera. Belgium were subsequently dispatched 5-0 in La Coruna and a ticket to South Africa 2010 was assured with two rounds to spare after a comfortable 3-0 home win over Estonia. Far from taking their foot off the pedal, La Selección capped a flawless campaign with victory in Armenia and a 5-2 away thrashing of closest challengers Bosnia-Herzegovina.

The star players
The team's success has been based on quality and balance throughout the side. In captain Iker Casillas Spain have one of the world's finest keepers, a man who can be relied upon to bring his superhuman reflexes to the rescue when most needed. Midfield string-puller Xavi Hernandez's inch-perfect passing and vision is vital to the Spaniards' fluid style, while at the sharp end of the attack there can be few if any better finishers than David Villa and Fernando 'El Niño' Torres.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2009 at 02:57 PM »

French keep faith with Domenech
(PA) Friday 18 December 2009

France coach Raymond Domenech will remain at the helm for the FIFA World Cup™ following a lengthy debate by the French Football Federation board today.

Domenech has come under fire from several quarters in France despite leading Les Bleus to next summer's FIFA World Cup. A controversial victory over the Republic of Ireland in last month's play-off hardly helped his cause and Guy Chambily, an FFF board member, had called for his continued employment to be put to the vote.

However, after a lengthy discussion on the matter today, FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes insists Domenech's position is not in any danger. "The question was posed to all the members of the board by Mr Guy Chambily," said Escalettes.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2009 at 03:03 PM by eksi »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM »
Messi wins Player of the Year

Lionel Messi has been rewarded for a stunning year in which he helped Barcelona to six trophies by being named FIFA's world player of the year.

The Argentina forward, who headed the clinching goal against Manchester United in the Champions League final, also scored on Saturday to secure the Club World Cup for Barcelona against Estudiantes on Saturday.

The 22-year-old won the award for the first time, beating last year's winner Cristiano Ronaldo, his two clubmates Andres Iniesta and Xavi and Brazil midfielder Kaka. He was presented with the trophy at a glittering awards gala in Zurich.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM by eksi »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM »
MANNY VS MESSI
Goodyear Champion of Champions!

The Goodyear Champion of Champions is into the final four! Vote for your favourite superstar as we count down to who’s the best in 2009!

Semi-final Matchup (Match 14): Manny Pacquaio vs Lionel Messi

The man with seven titles in seven weight categories takes on the man who has won six trophies in a calendar year.

Manny Pacquiao has captured our imagination this year, weaving boxing lore as he weaves through punches from Miguel Cotto. The pound-for-pound number one boxer now takes on another heavyweight from the footballing world, and he needs your votes.

Lionel Messi has had an astounding year with Barcelona, winning La Liga, the Copa del Rey, the UEFA Champions League, the Supercopa de Espana, the UEFA Super Cup and most recently, the FIFA Club World Cup. The Ballon d'Or winner now takes on the People's Champion, will you help him succeed?

Let's support Manny!
http://www.espnstar.com/games/champion-of-champions/vote/
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010 at 05:46 PM by eksi »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 04:47 PM »
German Coach Klinsmann: Surprises ahead

For fans in Germany and beyond, Jurgen Klinsmann’s name will always be closely linked with the summer of 2006. As Germany head coach, Klinsmann led the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ hosts to the semi-finals as the nation erupted in a hitherto unseen wave of euphoria.

Images of the colourful fan festivals and vast crowds at Public Viewing events were beamed around the globe as German football found a new hero in Klinsi, an instant hit in his very first coaching role. However, the former striker chose to follow the principle of quitting while you are ahead and stepped down immediately after the tournament.

He resurfaced in July 2008 at the Bayern Munich helm, but his spell with Germany’s most successful club would only last ten months. In his playing career, the 45-year-old earned 108 international caps, lifting the FIFA World Cup in 1990 and the UEFA EURO in 1996. He played his club football for a host of top names including Bayern, Inter and Tottenham Hotspur.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM by eksi »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 05:35 PM »
Beckham dreaming of world return

After starring and scoring for England at France 1998, Korea/Japan 2002 and Germany 2006, David Beckham has told FIFA.com that he is relishing the prospect of appearing in his fourth FIFA World Cup™ in South Africa in June and July.

The 34-year-old midfielder’s chances of being in the Three Lions’ 23-man squad were recently discussed by Fabio Capello, who said: "Of course he will be included, if he plays [for AC Milan] and is well physically,” he said. “I don't look at ages. I look at skill and Beckham has a lot. He's serious, a real professional and he's really dedicated to making the World Cup squad."

Offline chizcake

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 09:19 AM »
it would be nice to see beckham play however injuries would be his main opponent

hehehehe ;D
37LD460
BDP1500
RXV-450
A-Audio Tablette 5' FS
WH2 Center
KLH Surround

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 11:31 AM »
it would be nice to see beckham play however injuries would be his main opponent

hehehehe ;D

tumatanda na kasi :)
but i hope din makasama sya sa england squad, para makabawi sya after the fluk penalty spot during during their last euro campaign
malakas pa naman england ngayon
fearless final forecast will be england vs spain 

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 11:39 AM »
Low talks Podolski and Kroos

Germany coach Joachim Low is set to make an exception to his policy of only choosing players who are in form and playing regularly for their club, by naming Lukas Podolski in his 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ squad.

With five months to go before the 49-year-old must make his selections, he recently declared that he would not be repeating the mistake of calling up players merely on past reputation, and added that he expects to find 23 hungry and motivated players during the second half of the 2009/10 season. However, Podolski, who has so far failed to live up to his own glittering reputation since rejoining Cologne last summer, appears to have been given special dispensation even if he does not start finding the back of the net with regularity.

The former Bayern Munich forward has scored 37 times in 69 games for Germany, but he has managed to find the back of the net only once since joining his hometown club in July. Nevertheless, Low has declined the notion of Podolski losing his place in the Germany set-up should he fail to up the ante in 2010.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 12:53 PM »
Adebayor's Togo team is seriously considering pulling out of the Africa Cup of Nations after their bus was attacked in Angola and two of his teammates were shot and the bus driver killed.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 05:43 PM »
Adebayor's Togo team is seriously considering pulling out of the Africa Cup of Nations after their bus was attacked in Angola and two of his teammates were shot and the bus driver killed.

Although, I hate Adebayor of what he has done with Arsenal Fans, I'm happy he's not hurt. He is one of the best footballer in Africa.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 05:53 PM »
Arsenal and Arsenal Fans offer moment of silence for Haiti victims.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2010 at 06:57 PM »

Walcott can be a star of the World Cup

Arsène Wenger is backing Theo Walcott to make England's World Cup squad and make a big splash in South Africa.

The Arsenal man's participation at this summer's Finals has been questioned this week after Walcott struggled to impose himself during England's 3-1 win over Egypt on Wednesday.

Shaun Wright-Phillips, Aaron Lennon and David Beckham are all vying with Walcott for the right-wing spot in Fabio Capello's team but Wenger believes his player has the edge. What's more, he expects Walcott to put an injury-hit campaign behind him and light up the tournament.

"I believe Theo will go to the World Cup," said Wenger. "I am convinced of that and that he will have a great World Cup as well.

"He has had a season where every time he came close he got injured again. Now he looks to be completely free. He is developing very well; you see signs in training that will come out until the end of the season.

"Maybe before he was praised too much and now he is criticised too much. But we live in a world where we have to deal with those ups and downs and we have to find the right distance.

"I believe he has a big asset because when he was praised like mad he kept always a good distance with it and that will help him to deal with what he is facing now."

Offline chizcake

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2010 at 09:41 PM »
Arsenal and Arsenal Fans offer moment of silence for Haiti victims.

let us use sports to help each other... galing nito hehe
37LD460
BDP1500
RXV-450
A-Audio Tablette 5' FS
WH2 Center
KLH Surround

Offline deweyfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM »
Beckham dreaming of world return

After starring and scoring for England at France 1998, Korea/Japan 2002 and Germany 2006, David Beckham has told FIFA.com that he is relishing the prospect of appearing in his fourth FIFA World Cup™ in South Africa in June and July.

The 34-year-old midfielder’s chances of being in the Three Lions’ 23-man squad were recently discussed by Fabio Capello, who said: "Of course he will be included, if he plays [for AC Milan] and is well physically,” he said. “I don't look at ages. I look at skill and Beckham has a lot. He's serious, a real professional and he's really dedicated to making the World Cup squad."

Fat chance, with his Achilles tendon acting up again...bye bye SA