Author Topic: Unofficial HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC  (Read 230185 times)

Offline jpadua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hey guys, I've been researching on how to build an HTPC, and it is possible to use your PC to output 1080i.  Using powerstrip and a good graphics card, it's possible to upscale regular DVDs to 1080i via software DVD player (PowerDVD).  If your HD TV Set has a VGA input, its as simple as plugging your TV as a monitor to your Video Card and customize your cards output settings (via powerstrip) to out puteither 480p or 1080i.  HD Tv's arent useless in the philippines after all. You can watch regular DVDs in full HD resolution!

Does anyone have any experience with HTPCs? any form of help would be great!

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
Re:HTPC for use with your HD TV
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 11:52 AM »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 12:04 PM »
oh here's another one.. how to connect your PC to a HDTV

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Support/cliffnotes_17.htm#NVIDIA%20GeForce

Offline bng

• Apprentice
  • www.adults.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2003 at 09:48 PM »
Hi we just finished setting up an HTPC scaler..

Are you planning to use your old DVD PLayer?

If you do make sure your dvdp player is upgradeable with SDI para digital to digital...  if not ok parin

Digital to Digital: Use Holo 3d by immersive http://www.immersiveinc.com/products_holo3d.html

This card is great

Now if you want 1080i  output you can use ATI radeon 9700 kasi it has RGB and DVI output.. make sure your projector supports 1080i resolution.. some projectors like the marrantz 12s1 outputs 1080i with DVI-D connections but if u use RGB you have the option to choose.

If you plan to use your DVDROM you can use TheaterTek DVD player.. this is great better that power dvd or windvd..
right now im testing windvd platinum.. ill let u know the results next week

Offline jimmylr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2003 at 09:04 AM »
It seems that this thread dont belong here.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2003 at 11:03 PM »
It seems that this thread dont belong here.

sorry about that, i accidentally moved it to deals and promo by accident...
this thread should fit in nicely here at ht/sources. :)

bently
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2003 at 11:19 PM by bently »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2003 at 10:54 AM »
Hi we just finished setting up an HTPC scaler..

Are you planning to use your old DVD PLayer?

If you do make sure your dvdp player is upgradeable with SDI para digital to digital...  if not ok parin

Digital to Digital: Use Holo 3d by immersive http://www.immersiveinc.com/products_holo3d.html

This card is great

Now if you want 1080i  output you can use ATI radeon 9700 kasi it has RGB and DVI output.. make sure your projector supports 1080i resolution.. some projectors like the marrantz 12s1 outputs 1080i with DVI-D connections but if u use RGB you have the option to choose.

If you plan to use your DVDROM you can use TheaterTek DVD player.. this is great better that power dvd or windvd..
right now im testing windvd platinum.. ill let u know the results next week

You know what, WinDVD platinum is actually pretty good, since its specialized for use with DX9, it uses VMR9 (Video Mixing Renderer 9) which greatly improves picture quality and color, especially on GeForce 4 Cards. Plus it decodes DTS in software, so if you dont have an AV reciever yet but use surround speakers with your sound card, its really good! I think even better than powerDVD, I've had A/V sync problems using DTS with PDVD, with WDVD Plat, no problems.  One more thing about WDVD Plat is that when you drag the player to the bottom of the screen it snaps and can easily be configured to be hidden or set to autohide.  I use it now more than theatre tek just for the DTS :D pretty good!

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 01:23 AM »
interesting concept

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2003 at 09:15 AM »
A little misinformed I was the last post, I just found out that VMR9 (Video Mixing Renderer 9 -dx9) needs to be specifically specified in order to be used using a dvdgraph. Finally after all my testing last night, I was able to create my very own customized DVD graph! I think I have squeezed everysingle last drop of performance out of my machine. Here are the workings of my new DVD Player.

DVD Frontend - Zoom Player 2.90
Video Decoder - Sonic Cinemaster 1.5
Video Post Processor - FFDShow
Audio Decoder - Intervideo Audio Decoder (DD/DTS)
Video Renderer - Video Mixing Renderer 9 (DX9)
Audio Renderer- ReClock .99

Zoom Player is a DVD player front end that uses DVDgraphs, so that you can customize your decoders.
FFDShow is a post processing filter that allows you to resize source aspect, sharpen, denoise, etc.
ReClock, is an Audio renenderer that syncs your audio to the speed of your video card to remover stutters, and control A/V sync. And VMR9 supposedly superior to Overlay, makes any GeForce card picture/color quality at par with any ATI card.  

Wow, this is the best setup Ive ever had...  it did give me headaches setting it up through trial and error, but it was worth all the tweeking!

Offline bigbird2323

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003 at 05:49 AM »
how do you connect a pc to a reciever.what do you need?,i have an nforce2 motherboard with built in audio

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2003 at 09:29 AM »
how do you connect a pc to a reciever.what do you need?,i have an nforce2 motherboard with built in audio

Hi Bigbird, the NForce2 Motherboard has a powerful audio processor, it up mixes anything from your pc to Dolby Digital.  Anyway.. your board should have a spdif output connector, it may look like a regualar RCA jack or Optical Toslink Connector.  Anyway just hook up this connector to your A/V Reciever through any digital input available on your set.  On windows, go to the sound mixer and select digital output.  If the NForce has a setting for AC-3 Hardware decode, you should turn this off since your A/V reciever will be doing the decoding. I am using an SB Audigy and running a Digital connection to my SR4300.  I just set mine to digital out and turned of AC-3 decoding on my Audigy.. Works great!

Offline D75C

• Collector
  • Sounds good but it makes my coffee bitter.
  • Liked:
Re: HTPC for use with your HD TV
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 08:55 PM »
I believe HTPC has a future. With the right components and software, you'll have a near future-proof playback device and a true digital source with tremendous capacity.

It will not matter what your source is. Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Just buy the drive and start playing.

Create a backup library  of your DVDs and CDs then store them to your hard drives with absolutely no loss. You can turn your PC into a video jukebox and play everything on demand. A 500GB drive can store up to 50-60 DVD-9 movies with all features intact.

Resolution is only limited by your display device, and the PC will always be able to catchup. nVidia's new  graphic cards now have built-in technologies (nVidia Purevideo) that support upconversion, scaling, and frame blending.

Audio. D/As are limited by sound card. My board does 96khz/24bit. I have to wait for my new sound card to arrive this christmas, a 192k/24bit from M-Audio.

Connections. You'll also have a variety of them. If you want the PC to do the channel distribution, you can use the multichannel outputs. If you want a bypass, you can utilize the SPDIF and optical connections available in high-end motherboads and 3rd party sound cards from M-Audio or Creative Labs.

My work in post-production has taken me away from my audio system. So my decision was to bring my audio gear to my PC. I have no regrets.
You wonder why it still not good enough after spending P1M.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 07:07 AM »
I think if you want true HD resolution in 1080p on an HTPC, you would need either a Blu-ray or HD DVD drive installed on your PC, with at least dual core pentium motherboards and with one of those newer and powerful video cards and a monitor that is HDCP-compliant.  Also a software that will play either formats. 

Offline D75C

• Collector
  • Sounds good but it makes my coffee bitter.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 04:42 PM »
Hardware requirements will always come into play. A fast CPU will always be beneficial in the absence of a video card with major acceleration features for MPEG formats.

I have a Pentium IV 3.2Ghz HT with 1GB of ram and a nVidia 7800GS video card and almost a 0.8 terabytes of space. So far I haven't come across playback and editing problems for 720p/1080i HDV footage.
You wonder why it still not good enough after spending P1M.

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 04:53 PM »
You guys may want to take a look at MythTV for an integrated all-in-one open source HTPC solution:

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures
http://www.denguru.com/2006/09/08/the_mythtv_convergence/
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 05:17 PM by uvax »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 05:02 PM »
I wonder when they will release the BD & HD drives.

This would make agood  all-in-one video center.

Hopefully there is a way that you can control all your devices through a touch panel LCD through RS232 connection? I inquired from AVDI about their little LCD device controller & it costs some 135k-200+k  :o

Didnt know these things were that expensive:

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 05:03 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 08:04 PM »
Sir Matz I think I will have that type of device tom night but it will only cost me 6k (I hope less). It's a PDA with a consumer grade IR port that can also serve as a learning remote with multi zone capabilities meaning I can control a lot of devices and not be limited to one place (single set-up only). Heck I might even go to the malls and turn off all their displays ;D

Dami na rin upgrade ng HT ko. I will share it na lang sa HT thread. One is a Pentium Dual core based SFF HTPC with onboard component video out the size of a  small microwave oven lang  ;D and an EL cheapo Epson projector with a newly replaced lamp.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 12:21 PM »
I also have something like that for sale, it can also control almost everything except those with RF.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=43411.0

But the touch screen LCD beside your chair just looks so... COOOOOL 8)

Offline AlvinladeN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2006 at 12:32 AM »
what if you watch dvd on a 1440x900 native resolution lcd monitor full screen does it mean that the movie is upscaled to 900p?

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2006 at 12:09 AM »
what if you watch dvd on a 1440x900 native resolution lcd monitor full screen does it mean that the movie is upscaled to 900p?

SD DVD is just 720x480p... so upscaled sya syempre....  :D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2006 at 06:52 AM »
SD DVD is 480i, not 480p.  ;D

Offline jacorb_88

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007 at 03:56 PM »
jpadua,

is there htpc casing available locally (how much)? i prefer HT looking casing than PCish types.

thanks.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007 at 04:33 PM »
jpadua,

is there htpc casing available locally (how much)? i prefer HT looking casing than PCish types.

thanks.

You might be able to find an Antec Fusion, There are Antec Distros here, so you could ask them, or maybe have a special order.

Here's a Review
http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/antec_fusion_review/

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007 at 07:50 AM »
MSI casings are available at various stores in Gilmore, they used to have their own showroom at the Broadway Cybertron but sadly it closed down.

Prices range from 13K-23K, comes with a MSI microatx MB and remote, only setback is due to it's size, you'll have to settle for only one optical drive and one hardisk, there's no place for a slave HD.

Offline bidalluwant

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • It's not about the destination but the journey.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007 at 11:34 AM »
I am thinking of using our spare PC as HTPC. May video card pa ba na available with Component out? Progressive scan kasi ang TV ko na 1080i.  ::)
Visit http://bidalluwant.multiply.com for more TechnoMarines sale

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM »
you can get video cards that have a component out dongle.

Offline bidalluwant

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • It's not about the destination but the journey.
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM »
Thanks John. I'll check the computer shops for it.
Visit http://bidalluwant.multiply.com for more TechnoMarines sale

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 02:35 PM »
mga sir tanong lang po, newbie lang kasi ako sa HD :)

kelangan pa ba ng powerstrip to adjust my screen reso kung kaya naman idetect ng ATI ang native reso (1360 x 760) ng HDTV ko?
using PowerDVD, kapag ba nasa fullscreen mode na upscaled na to 720p (since 1360 x 760 reso na siya) ung dvd playback?

;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 03:16 PM »
mga sir tanong lang po, newbie lang kasi ako sa HD :)

kelangan pa ba ng powerstrip to adjust my screen reso kung kaya naman idetect ng ATI ang native reso (1360 x 760) ng HDTV ko?
using PowerDVD, kapag ba nasa fullscreen mode na upscaled na to 720p (since 1360 x 760 reso na siya) ung dvd playback?

;D

The latest video card drivers would be able to output 1360x760 resolution na for your HDTV.  Pag nag power DVD ka it scales it to 760p
Ang 720p is just an HD standard.   

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 03:40 PM »
Pag nag power DVD ka it scales it to 760p
Ang 720p is just an HD standard.   

thanks sir! follow up questions:
so kapag toggled to full screen ung PowerDVD 760p na un sir? hindi ko na kailangan ng DVD players with 720p/1080i capability to use the full potential of my HDTV, tama po ba un?

since, wala "daw" masyadong diff ang HDMI vs component connections, illl try din later to connect my x1950pro to the tv via component, may PQ improvement kaya ito compared to the VGA connection which im currently using?

meron akong biniling "generic" dvi-hdmi cable... i tried connecting the tv to my pc using this cable... Sabi sa manual, "if using HDMI-DVI cable, you need to connect the audio cable"... ginawa ko un.. So ang setup pc---> HDMI-DVI ---> TV; ung audio cable (red/white) nakakabit sa tv then sa speaker ko, Sound Card --->speaker ---->audio cable ---> TV...
I switched the TV to HDMI mode, black screen (pero may nakalagay na "HDMI mode"), ung sound na galing sa PC speaker ko na route sa TV speaker... bakit nag-black screen? bakit nasa TV speaker ung sound? may kalokohan ba ang akong ginawa?
sabi pala sa manual, dapat daw may HDMI na tatak ung cable na gagamitin, ung ginamit ko wala kasi generic siya hehe