Author Topic: Unofficial HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC  (Read 230195 times)

Offline jpadua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: HTPC for use with your HD TV
« Reply #30 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 04:27 PM »
thanks sir! follow up questions:
so kapag toggled to full screen ung PowerDVD 760p na un sir? hindi ko na kailangan ng DVD players with 720p/1080i capability to use the full potential of my HDTV, tama po ba un?

since, wala "daw" masyadong diff ang HDMI vs component connections, illl try din later to connect my x1950pro to the tv via component, may PQ improvement kaya ito compared to the VGA connection which im currently using?

meron akong biniling "generic" dvi-hdmi cable... i tried connecting the tv to my pc using this cable... Sabi sa manual, "if using HDMI-DVI cable, you need to connect the audio cable"... ginawa ko un.. So ang setup pc---> HDMI-DVI ---> TV; ung audio cable (red/white) nakakabit sa tv then sa speaker ko, Sound Card --->speaker ---->audio cable ---> TV...
I switched the TV to HDMI mode, black screen (pero may nakalagay na "HDMI mode"), ung sound na galing sa PC speaker ko na route sa TV speaker... bakit nag-black screen? bakit nasa TV speaker ung sound? may kalokohan ba ang akong ginawa?
sabi pala sa manual, dapat daw may HDMI na tatak ung cable na gagamitin, ung ginamit ko wala kasi generic siya hehe

With your PC, yes, you can output the exact native resolution of your HDTV for best PQ. If you play a DVD (480p) it is automatically scaled to your set resolution.  If you use an upscaling DVD player, the DVD (480p) is upscaled and sent to your HDTV as 720p then your HDTV will have to upscale again to its native res of 760p.  If you are upscaling naman to 1080i, the player will upscale from 480p to  1080i and your HDTV again will downscale to 760p.  Using your PC, you scaling only happens once, form 480p to 760p which would yield the best PQ. 

You might not see much difference with VGA and Component they have sort of the same quality, as with HDMI and DVI. 

Ive used a generic DVI-HDMI cable also and it works with no problem with our 32" LCD TV.  Just hook up the DVI end to the PC and the HDMI end to the TV.  Just use your PC speakers for Audio.  In this setup you are only using the Video part of the HDMI cable.  HDMI can carry both Video and Audio digital signals in one cable.  Since DVI-HDMI yung cable you are only sending digital video signals. 

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 04:46 PM »
thank you very much sir for the enlightening answers.

isa pa  ;D
bakit kaya hindi nadetect ng VC ko yung tv ko when i used hdmi-dvi? pero kapag vga naman, detected naman as Sony TV siya.
May problem kaya ung cable? o ung HDMI port ng tv mismo?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 08:49 PM »
thank you very much sir for the enlightening answers.

isa pa  ;D
bakit kaya hindi nadetect ng VC ko yung tv ko when i used hdmi-dvi? pero kapag vga naman, detected naman as Sony TV siya.
May problem kaya ung cable? o ung HDMI port ng tv mismo?

No problem :)

Dapat ma detect yun, kung nadedetect pag VGA, what does it say? Plug and Play Monitor?  Anyway it shouldnt matter, as long as you know what the native resolution is, and you set your VC to output that you shouldnt have a problem.  I'm using a DVI cable with a resolution of 1280x720@60hz. My TV is a 27" Syntax LCD TV.  It's detected as a plug and play monitor, but I still have great PQ.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 02:05 PM »
No problem :)

Dapat ma detect yun, kung nadedetect pag VGA, what does it say? Plug and Play Monitor?  Anyway it shouldnt matter, as long as you know what the native resolution is, and you set your VC to output that you shouldnt have a problem.  I'm using a DVI cable with a resolution of 1280x720@60hz. My TV is a 27" Syntax LCD TV.  It's detected as a plug and play monitor, but I still have great PQ.

naka dual monitor setup po ako sir sa HTPC mode... detected as Sony TV (pero CRT - siguro dahil nga VGA ang gamit) siya sa VGA - primary monitor, then 20" viewsonic as clone... i've tested all possible connection to the HDTV, and i concluded na pinaka-ok ang VGA connection...

may panibago akong naisip hehe
sigurado in the near future magkakaroon na ng internal HD-DVD drive for PC, HD-DVD playback capable softwares susunod na rin... ang tanong, ano ang magiging difference ng HD-DVD drive + HD-DVD softie + QuadCore CPU + Radeon X2900XTX VS Top of the line Branded HD-DVD players in performance? ano mas bang for the buck? 

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 06:04 PM »
naka dual monitor setup po ako sir sa HTPC mode... detected as Sony TV (pero CRT - siguro dahil nga VGA ang gamit) siya sa VGA - primary monitor, then 20" viewsonic as clone... i've tested all possible connection to the HDTV, and i concluded na pinaka-ok ang VGA connection...

may panibago akong naisip hehe
sigurado in the near future magkakaroon na ng internal HD-DVD drive for PC, HD-DVD playback capable softwares susunod na rin... ang tanong, ano ang magiging difference ng HD-DVD drive + HD-DVD softie + QuadCore CPU + Radeon X2900XTX VS Top of the line Branded HD-DVD players in performance? ano mas bang for the buck? 

If you think about it, at this point in time, baka you might end up speding more, if you compare price, and also software at this point is flaky, some may work, some might have some bugs.  But I'm sure soon enough software and hardware will become cheaper.  LG recently released an HD-DVD/Blueray Writer, so with this drive, you dont have to worry about format wars anymore, the Drive itself is about 30K++ not so sure, about the same price as a Blue ray player, a little more youve already got a PS3.

When the HDDVD/BLUEray writer comes down to about 15K... panalo na HTPC with that. 2 in one, plus you can burn on to BR-Recordables. Its a PC, all in one... so then again sulit.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 06:25 PM »
sir, i think were looking on the same horizon hehe
HDDVD/BluRay/DVD/Divx/Avi/Mp4/Mp3/whatever playing machine with internet connectivity + other functions = pwnage  ;D

HTPC Rules!  ;D

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 11:53 AM »
[q]yes, but not through spdif... powerdvd will decode it if u choose 5.1 channel speaker setting and then have your sound card send the 6 channel thru analog out... just like DVD Audio or SACD [/q]
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773218&page=3&pp=30

i already found a HD player, PowerDvd 7.2 Ultra Deluxe =)
iniisip ko lang, paano i-transfer and TrueHD/DTS-HD from SC to AVR?
sabi sa taas, software will decode it then analog connection to your multi-media speakers...
so from SC to AVR, use analog connections (so kelangan mo ng y-splitters diba?)... so "analog passthorugh" na lang ang gamit ng AVR? you dont actually need an AVR with TrueHD/DTS-HD capability diba? tama po ba?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
[q]yes, but not through spdif... powerdvd will decode it if u choose 5.1 channel speaker setting and then have your sound card send the 6 channel thru analog out... just like DVD Audio or SACD [/q]
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773218&page=3&pp=30

i already found a HD player, PowerDvd 7.2 Ultra Deluxe =)
iniisip ko lang, paano i-transfer and TrueHD/DTS-HD from SC to AVR?
sabi sa taas, software will decode it then analog connection to your multi-media speakers...
so from SC to AVR, use analog connections (so kelangan mo ng y-splitters diba?)... so "analog passthorugh" na lang ang gamit ng AVR? you dont actually need an AVR with TrueHD/DTS-HD capability diba? tama po ba?

Yes, software decode yung audio.  you should have a 5.1 soundcard, and your AVR should have 6ch direct analog inputs.  I'm using an Audigy2 zs, I just use 3 baby stereo -> RCA cables. 

To make the explanation simpler, AVR will only be an amplifier, not a decoder since PowerDVD will do the HD audio decoding. :) 

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 01:14 PM »
may sonical difference ba kapag ganun? between AVR audio HD decoding vs software decoding?
kasi nung may z5500 pa ako, software vs hardware DTS decoding is minimal to nill to my untrained ears  :) ganun din kaya dito?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 01:32 PM »
may sonical difference ba kapag ganun? between AVR audio HD decoding vs software decoding?
kasi nung may z5500 pa ako, software vs hardware DTS decoding is minimal to nill to my untrained ears  :) ganun din kaya dito?

Meron siguro konti. All the decoder is doing is converting the digital source to analog.  what's comparable would be the soundcards DACs vs your AVRs Dacs. If you are using a high end soundcard, then it might sound better compared to a budget AVR doing the decoding. Personally though if It sounds good to my ears it doesnt really matter. :)

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 01:35 PM »
Personally though if It sounds good to my ears it doesnt really matter. :)

I couldn't agree more sir!  ;D ;

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: Jun 08, 2007 at 04:18 PM »
I'm looking at having an HTPC. What's the least budget where I can have a decent HTPC? And can you share some specs?

Thanks.

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 08, 2007 at 11:41 PM »
Asrock  ALiveNF7G-HD720p

1. Socket AM2 for AMD Athlon™ 64FX / 64X2 / X2 / 64 and Sempron processors
   2. NVIDIA® GeForce 7050 / nForce 630A MCP Chipsets

* AMD LIVE!™ Ready
    * Supports Dual Channel DDRII800/667/533 with 4 DIMM slots, maximum capacity up to 8GB
    * ASRock AM2 Boost: ASRock Patented Technology to boost memory performance up to 12.5%
    * Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce7 Series (NV44) DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0, Max. shared memory 256MB
    * 1 x PCI Express x 16 slot
    * Hybrid Booster - ASRock Safe Overclocking Technology
    * Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses
    * Dual VGA Output: Support DVI-D and D-Sub ports by independent display controllers
    * Supports HDCP function with DVI-D port, to enjoy better quality with High Definition HDCP Encryption contents
    * Supports 720p Blu-ray (BD) / HD-DVD playback
    * NVIDIA® PureVideo™ Ready
    * 4 x Serial ATAII 3.0 Gb/s, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, RAID 5, JBOD), NCQ, AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions
    * Supports Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
    * HDMI_SPDIF header, providing SPDIF audio output to HDMI VGA card, allows the system to connect HDMI Digital TV/projector/LCD devices.
    * Chipset embedded HDMI Audio which supports HDMI signal through DVI-D port by using DVI to HDMI adapter (not bundled)
    * 7.1 CH Windows® Vista™ Premium Level HD Audio (ALC888 Audio Codec)
    * Windows® Vista™ Premium 2007 Logo Ready
    * ASRock DVI/H I/O: 1 x VGA/DVI-D Port, 1 x VGA/D-Sub Port

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=ALiveNF7G-HD720p

3K Plus pesos

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 09, 2007 at 04:14 AM »
Asrock  ALiveNF7G-HD720p

* AMD LIVE!™ Ready
    * Supports Dual Channel DDRII800/667/533 with 4 DIMM slots, maximum capacity up to 8GB
    * ASRock AM2 Boost: ASRock Patented Technology to boost memory performance up to 12.5%
    * Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce7 Series (NV44) DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0, Max. shared memory 256MB
    * Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses
    * Dual VGA Output: Support DVI-D and D-Sub ports by independent display controllers
    * Supports HDCP function with DVI-D port, to enjoy better quality with High Definition HDCP Encryption contents
    * 4 x Serial ATAII 3.0 Gb/s, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, RAID 5, JBOD), NCQ, AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions
    * HDMI_SPDIF header, providing SPDIF audio output to HDMI VGA card, allows the system to connect HDMI Digital TV/projector/LCD devices.
    * Chipset embedded HDMI Audio which supports HDMI signal through DVI-D port by using DVI to HDMI adapter (not bundled)

3K Plus pesos

Yun na! Thanks for this post, been looking for a good mobo for an HTPC. Sayang wala bang full ATX version to?

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Self Made Young Millionaire
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jun 09, 2007 at 01:54 PM »
A little OT here but I can't help myself from not asking it.

What's the difference of 1360x768 and 1366x768 resolution?

Because my first Lcd Tv was Samsung 32" S71 and I used it as a primary monitor, and the native resolution I am getting was 1366x768 -- then after couple of weeks, I bought a Sony Bravia V200A in exchange for the S71 - but using the V200A, im only getting 1360x768 (may be this is one reason why my CS 1.6 game can not detect the native resolution of the hdtv, while got no problems playing with cs 1.6 on my S71) - and now, I am currently using Aquos PX5M and im getting same resolution with the bravia which is 1360x768 - any thoughts how can i make it 1366 instead of 1360? hope HTPC gurus can explain this to me further. ;)

My specs are:
ASUS P5WDH Deluxe Wifi-Ap
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
ATI x1950 Pro 512mb
Sharp Aquos 32PX5M via DVI-VGA cable

Again, Sorry if this is a OT in this thread.

T.I.A ;)

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 09, 2007 at 06:20 PM »
sa CCC pede ka yata gumawa ng custom reso  ;D
or try powerstrip, pero be careful and focused, nakakasira sa LCD ang maling tweak sa powerstrip  ;D

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 09, 2007 at 06:45 PM »
sa CCC pede ka yata gumawa ng custom reso  ;D
or try powerstrip, pero be careful and focused, nakakasira sa LCD ang maling tweak sa powerstrip  ;D
@leomar:

Not really custom resolution because in the tv's spec, it's really 1366x768 not 1360x768 -- but im only getting 1360x768.. same w/ your bravia for sure.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 09, 2007 at 07:22 PM »
yup pero since hindi "yata" detected ng CCC ung 1366 x 768 e, so gawa ka na lang ng custom 1366 x 768 para lumabas siya sa force option...
pero ako, masaya na ako sa 1360 x 768  :)

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jun 09, 2007 at 07:32 PM »
@leomar:

Nakakasira ba kapag "forced" resolution? (obviously yes, lol.. just want to ask it)

Anyway, what's CCC?

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jun 09, 2007 at 07:53 PM »
actually hindi ako sure... at ayaw ko rin mag-experiment hehe
CCC is (ATI) Catalyst Control Center...

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 01:56 PM »
I'm using 1360x768 also.  Video card is ATI X700.  LCD TV is Samsung LA40R71
Manual states resolution is 1360 and not 1366.  I wouldn't use powerstrip just to get 6 more pixels. Can you notice that (6 pixels) from your viewing distance of say 2.5 to 3m?   ;D

Offline squatt3r

• DVD Addict
  • Advanced Micro Devices fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #51 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 08:33 PM »

my htpc powered by Q6600

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #52 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 08:29 AM »
Asrock  ALiveNF7G-HD720p

* AMD LIVE!™ Ready

3K Plus pesos

Where is this available?

Offline squatt3r

• DVD Addict
  • Advanced Micro Devices fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #53 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 10:32 AM »
sa gilmore. try mo din sa tipidpc madami reseller doon

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 11:23 AM »
Nope you don't need powerstrip.  You use it only when you need a resolution
your video card/drivers cannot provide....like 1000x700 assuming you need that resolution.  Read the docs on it before using.  Improper use can damage your hardware and display.

I think powerDVD upscales it to 768p once you set video card to display 1360x768.

mga sir tanong lang po, newbie lang kasi ako sa HD :)

kelangan pa ba ng powerstrip to adjust my screen reso kung kaya naman idetect ng ATI ang native reso (1360 x 760) ng HDTV ko?
using PowerDVD, kapag ba nasa fullscreen mode na upscaled na to 720p (since 1360 x 760 reso na siya) ung dvd playback?

;D

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 11:24 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #55 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 05:30 PM »
sa gilmore. try mo din sa tipidpc madami reseller doon

Ok thanks bro!

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #56 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 12:27 PM »
To those using HTPC for their pJ how is the PQ compared to standalone dvd players?
How is your audio connection to your receiver?

I am thinking of experimenting on this but considering the price of a DVI to HDMI cable i would like to solicit your experience first... i am afraid the result may not justify the expense. ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline nutkrakr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
anybody here who's into htpc?
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2008 at 07:02 PM »
i'm using theatertek software, and currently using windows media player with codecs installed by my great friend to play mkv files in 720p and 1080p format.  my friend updated the codec so i can play bluray type files through my computer, now comes the problem, whenever i'll use theatertek for my dvds, it'll ask me to reinstall theatertek, there seems to be some conflicts with the bluray codec and theatertek. does anybody here who's using theatertek with a bluray optical drive who's not facing same problem with my htpc? just want to know the proper settings :'(

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: anybody here who's into htpc?
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM »
There's another thread about HTPC which may generate better response :)

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=13274.0

Offline nutkrakr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: anybody here who's into htpc?
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2008 at 11:03 PM »
thanks