Author Topic: PDVD Media Player Blind Test Shoot-Out! Feb 27,2010  (Read 34158 times)

Offline SETUP™

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: PDVD Media Player Blind Test Shoot-Out! Feb 27,2010
« Reply #60 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 04:51 PM »
ayun pala..salamat po kagawad.   
B&W Onkyo HiMedia Transparent SvS Modwright Samsung Rega Shunyata Focal Proac Sonus Faber Dynaudio

Offline SETUP™

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 05:05 PM »
Honestly nahirapan ako to tell the pq difference sa limang nmt. 
B&W Onkyo HiMedia Transparent SvS Modwright Samsung Rega Shunyata Focal Proac Sonus Faber Dynaudio

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 05:19 PM »
Hi Scifi-fan,

I didn't dare do the crimping myself and just had the pc store do it for me.  :)

How about having multiple switches (is that what is called cascading) in the network. From the main wifi-G router, I setup a switch in my bedroom/AVR c onnected to the wifi router, so that I could connect the TV, a PS3 player, and the NMT/s to the network. What effect will this have?

Cheers!

Sent PM na lang so we don't hijack this thread :)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #63 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 08:34 PM »
sir setup, the 1080p/24 setting is from the nmts, so the signal is coming from the nmt's processing, not the denon or the beast of a sony bravia projector. i think sir mark did this because 1080p/24 is very hard to do, so if a player can do this right, the image would have been bad.

I think you meant to say that if the player does 1080p/24 right, the image (and particularly motion) will be good. This is because the native frame rate of film is 24 frames per second (fps). If your output is 1080p/60, there will be a slight stutter, especially with slow pans because the 24 fps is converted to 60 fps. Aside from the player, the display should also be able to handle 24 fps properly.

I think the players handled 24 fps pretty well. Motion was quite smooth.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 08:35 PM »
haha, i'll leave the edge enhancement criterion explanation to sir mark.

but he did explain to us with exampleS what edge enhancement is.   ;D

minimal edge enhancement scores better.

very memorable sa amin ang edge enhancement!  ;D

Unfortunately, I think very few people were listening during the very important explanation of edge enhancement on the educational material.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #65 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 08:39 PM »
I think you meant to say that if the player does 1080p/24 right, the image (and particularly motion) will be good. This is because the native frame rate of film is 24 frames per second (fps). If your output is 1080p/60, there will be a slight stutter, especially with slow pans because the 24 fps is converted to 60 fps. Aside from the player, the display should also be able to handle 24 fps properly.

I think the players handled 24 fps pretty well. Motion was quite smooth.

my bad.  :D

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #66 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 09:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I think very few people were listening during the very important explanation of edge enhancement on the educational material.  ;D ;D ;D

maybe few were listening but everyone is looking attentively at each sequence showing edge enhancement ;D ;D ;D
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline SETUP™

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 01:07 AM »
All eyes on what's playing but, the i think the ears are on your explanation sir mark since very minimal lang ang sound that time.. bakit kaya ;D ;D ;D

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #68 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 08:17 AM »
The ranking per criterion:

SHARPNESS
1. WDTV – 4.43
2. Xtreamer – 4.38
3. E31B – 4.32
4. C200 – 4.22
5. Mede8er – 3.88

DETAIL
1. WDTV – 4.51
2. Xtreamer – 4.35
3. E31B – 4.28
4. C200 – 4.25
5. Mede8er – 4.05

MOTION STUTTER
1. E31B – 4.59
2. C200 – 4.56
3. Xtreamer – 4.55
4. WDTV – 4.48
5. Mede8er – 4.34

COLOR ACCURACY
1. WDTV – 4.40
2. Xtreamer – 4.30
3. C200 – 4.23
4. E31B – 4.16
5. Mede8er – 4.03

COLOR SATURATION
1. WDTV – 4.26
2. Xtreamer – 4.25
3. E31B – 4.17
4. C200 – 4.05
5. Mede8er – 4.01

EDGE ENHANCEMENT
1. Xtreamer – 4.36
2. WDTV – 4.32
3. E31B – 4.25
4. C200 – 4.23
5. Mede8er – 4.06

Thanks Streetsmart for the breakdown. I just would like to clarify the rating on motion stutter. If the product rates high on this criteria, would it mean it stutters the most? Thanks.

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #69 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 08:24 AM »
If I may Sir Mark,

The higher the score the less stuttering, playback should be better. ;)
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 08:27 AM »
Ok so who wants to buy my Egreat 31B?   Be reasonable.   Some scratches on the top cover but I got it that way in April 2009 and didnt cause any further scratches during the entire year that Ive been using it.

Im going to buy another Mede8er, or maybe the WDTV Live.

Offline cHess

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 08:46 AM »
wow, interesting comparisons.

Offline tigkal

• Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 02:46 PM »
Ok so who wants to buy my Egreat 31B?   Be reasonable.   Some scratches on the top cover but I got it that way in April 2009 and didnt cause any further scratches during the entire year that Ive been using it.

Im going to buy another Mede8er, or maybe the WDTV Live.

Sir, normally price range of this item should be below the equivalent cheapest player in the market, which is 4,850, at 30 percent to 10 percent less. So the price offer should be from 3395 to 4365. Since there are some scratches, and already almost a year old, then 3k would be a reasonable price if you purchased it brand new last april. If you purchased it second hand, a 2k to 2.5k would be acceptable. My opinion only on what is reasonable..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 03:07 PM »
Sir, normally price range of this item should be below the equivalent cheapest player in the market, which is 4,850, at 30 percent to 10 percent less. So the price offer should be from 3395 to 4365. Since there are some scratches, and already almost a year old, then 3k would be a reasonable price if you purchased it brand new last april. If you purchased it second hand, a 2k to 2.5k would be acceptable. My opinion only on what is reasonable..

Thank you.  Makes more sense to keep the 31B then (or giveaway to relatives).   Cant make the cheapest player in the market output HD audio.   ;)

Just surprised how the 31B scored the highest in motion stutter given the fact the it would definitely stutter the most for high bit video streams.    Parang camera na magaling kapag well illuminated but s*cks kapag madilim? 

Offline tigkal

• Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 03:16 PM »
Sir, sorry. Did not know that the egreat can output HD Audio. Anyway, the formula would still be the same.Only the base price would change.

I also would like to clarify about the motion stutter, since it may be that when you rate high in motion stutter, it means less stutter. Because when you add up the scores, the ratings criteria should be consistent, high score means good, less means bad. So high scores in sharpness, detail, etc. is considered good as well as in motion stutter. If not, need some adjustments on the rating in motion stutter.

Offline bananabond

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jun 12, 2010 at 07:40 PM »
this is interesting....and i thought same lang lahat ng pq ng mga players since hd file naman na ang content....hope i can attend the next one...

Offline acevangelista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Dec 23, 2010 at 01:41 AM »
i have a few days to make a decision ...

mede8er vs. xtreamer (vs. xtreamer pro)

pareho ba chip model nitong dalawa?  or newer ang mede8er?

Same dilema here been reading for 3 days straight

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #77 on: Jan 07, 2011 at 06:29 AM »
No more blind tests?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline chris_santo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 09:47 AM »
I've been testing my HDD with different media players around. Although different TVs because I just brought my HDD in different shops. Despite that, I was able to distinguish and found similarities on a couple of things based on my naked 20/20 eyes (hehe konting yabang). Here are my findings:

1. The 720p copy of my karate kid 2010 played considerably (or "pixely") the same as my TV's built in media player (Sharp Aquos) and the (LG 37LD460 tested in ansons).

2. The Xtreamer pro shows a bit better contrast but the same pixel quality (tested in SnS with 42LD460).

3. The Med8er 500x (c/o gadgets in style LD460) and Measy (c/o EYO avision AL69) played very similar. They are a bit more pixelated compared to Xtreamer pro and to my TV's own player plus the contrast is not very good. More on the gray side. I was also able to test the player sold in infomax greenhills (forgot the brand) and it played similar with these two RTD1073 players.

By the way I made sure all players I tested have default settings and no filtering features (eg. ken burns / 24p etc.)

With that said, I took the dive and got the ASUS O play HD2 as it has many input options (even CF cards!) and have very good reviews on the net. When I played movies on it, I was surprised with the picture quality it produced. Despite being RTD1073 as well, pixels are handled better, contrast is the same if not better than xtreamer, and it upscaled my SD divx/xvid files very well compared to my TVs own player. Based on the net, they say it has something to do with the noise handling feature. I tried turning it off but I couldn't distinguish the difference that much. I almost returned it because on initial impression I thought it was slow (I just had to disable indexing feature). It was very good purchase PQ wise.

I hope my canon digicam can capture the difference between my TV's built in player vs the HD2. If yes, I'll post it here.

Just my share...

Offline jrcrunch

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #79 on: Jun 17, 2011 at 07:43 PM »
sana may new test ulet.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #80 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 06:39 AM »
+1, it will be interesting to field in S-Series (S100/S900/S800) vs. PCH

If/When a new HD Networked Media Player shootout happens, the following can make the mix very interesting:

egreat S900 2D - for its integrated bluray disc, plus NSS 3.5" drive tray +
 7.1 or 5.1 analogy output (no need to upgrade your old 7.1 or 5.1 analog capable receiver to HDMI)
egreat S900 3D - for its 2Dto3D conversion
egreat S800 - for its 7.1 analogy output and excellent support for the following features:
autoplay video or audio folder (screen saving)
select audio output (HDMI, SPDIF, Analog out) (means this player can be fired up with your AVR without need for display, just put your favorite media (video or audio) an a specified folder (excellent for screensaver videos like aquarium or fireplace to set the mood)

S900 and S800 also has DTV recording, which is unfortunately we still can use here.

For Realtek, apart from the R200 we now have 1185 chip enabled players:

R1-ii (this baby is really popular for being an entry level 1185 chip based player running Redtimes GUI(incredibly fast!) and all external media/drive support (1 bare sata + 2 x USB + MMC/SDCARD)
at below 5K!
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2011 at 06:41 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #81 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 09:48 AM »
If/When a new HD Networked Media Player shootout happens, the following can make the mix very interesting:

egreat S900 2D - for its integrated bluray disc, plus NSS 3.5" drive tray +
 7.1 or 5.1 analogy output (no need to upgrade your old 7.1 or 5.1 analog capable receiver to HDMI)
egreat S900 3D - for its 2Dto3D conversion
egreat S800 - for its 7.1 analogy output and excellent support for the following features:
autoplay video or audio folder (screen saving)
select audio output (HDMI, SPDIF, Analog out) (means this player can be fired up with your AVR without need for display, just put your favorite media (video or audio) an a specified folder (excellent for screensaver videos like aquarium or fireplace to set the mood)

S900 and S800 also has DTV recording, which is unfortunately we still can use here.

For Realtek, apart from the R200 we now have 1185 chip enabled players:

R1-ii (this baby is really popular for being an entry level 1185 chip based player running Redtimes GUI(incredibly fast!) and all external media/drive support (1 bare sata + 2 x USB + MMC/SDCARD)
at below 5K!
will that be a shootout or just an egreat demo?
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM »

Shootout dapat.

Para din mas masaya isali ang lahat na madalas bilin ng taong bayan -- HiMedia, Measy, kaiboer, Asus, ACRyan, at kung sino pa pede.  

Better if zero seller participation,  basta matuloy ang sayang dulot ng shootout.  

Bring your own baon na test files.

Ito ang mga una kong binasa, when i joined PDVD, its a long thread ng opinions.

game! :)

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Aug 23, 2011 at 06:40 AM »
Shootout dapat.

Para din mas masaya isali ang lahat na madalas bilin ng taong bayan -- HiMedia, Measy, kaiboer, Asus, ACRyan, at kung sino pa pede.  

Better if zero seller participation,  basta matuloy ang sayang dulot ng shootout.  

Bring your own baon na test files.

Ito ang mga una kong binasa, when i joined PDVD, its a long thread ng opinions.

game! :)

A blind test is not simple. In the first place, we have to decide what is the competition all about. The "features" you listed can't really be the subject of competition. They're either there or not there.

The previous blind test was a competition on the most basic feature of the players -- picture quality. The apparent conclusion was that the cheapest media player beat all the others. The real conclusion was that the differences were so tiny that it was really a tie among all players. In other words, there's really no difference, at least in pq.

Now, if there's some other aspect which you want to test against other players and which is common to all those players, maybe we can do a test. But what can that possibly be? Audio? Forget it - pareho lang yan.

Honestly, I think the competition among media players today is all about features, convenience, responsiveness, reliability, support, aesthetics, etc. With regard to the most basic features of pq and sq, my view is that they're all the same.

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Aug 23, 2011 at 09:23 AM »
A blind test is not simple. In the first place, we have to decide what is the competition all about. The "features" you listed can't really be the subject of competition. They're either there or not there.

The previous blind test was a competition on the most basic feature of the players -- picture quality. The apparent conclusion was that the cheapest media player beat all the others. The real conclusion was that the differences were so tiny that it was really a tie among all players. In other words, there's really no difference, at least in pq.

Now, if there's some other aspect which you want to test against other players and which is common to all those players, maybe we can do a test. But what can that possibly be? Audio? Forget it - pareho lang yan.

Honestly, I think the competition among media players today is all about features, convenience, responsiveness, reliability, support, aesthetics, etc. With regard to the most basic features of pq and sq, my view is that they're all the same.

Amen :D

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Aug 24, 2011 at 01:56 PM »

I agree NMT features are there or not.
I agree  built, reliability, aesthetic appeal to users and UI is where HD players win their owners.
I agree its never simple,  but it was a good read and would be cool to get a refresh  (or a similar activity done by the community.

Why now? I was thinking along the lines  --- its nearing 18 months since last shootout, maybe its time to rekindle this thread with something new.

Technology changes every 18 months (nes if tama pa ito?) -- NMTs evolve, new players emerge, technologies change what does remain is sustained interest on NMT(HD Media Player).

I have no idea what to tackle next after the PQ question which was answered feb/2010. Maybe other PDVD members have better suggestions on what the next should out should be and perhaps go from there.

:)

p.s. someone texted me last night asking if i take the replies as an idea shootdown. Not at all,  Saw  a few wishing for a new shootout, am sure there are others out there. Fact that people took time to reply means its all alive and well. Fact remains we all have this affinity for HD media players (and I dont call 'em NMT  coz "N" means networked, so its HD media player for me kasi some players dont have Network capability)

;)

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2011 at 02:09 PM by toys4geeks »
toy