Author Topic: stereo turn table  (Read 1211 times)

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
stereo turn table
« on: Jun 04, 2010 at 07:55 PM »
hi everyone!

we have an old stereo with built-in turn table at home. the stereo receiver is no longer working but as far as i recall, the TT still works, although some repair may have to be made.

which brings me to my question -- is it possible to detach the TT from the stereo unit and use it on an audio set-up? i am thinking of getting the TT and add it to my audio set-up....IF i get it back.

thanks in advance....
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: stereo turn table
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2010 at 08:12 PM »
i think it would be helpful if you provide the model or some pics, so that the tt fans in this board will give more specific answers. if my guess is right and you have the stereo component of yesteryears, some of which have built in cassette decks, then you might need to construct a dedicated plinth for it, if you plan to detach it from the component body...just a guess

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2010 at 11:32 PM »
stereo component of yesteryears

yes, sir. that's it. if i'm not mistaken, i think it's circa 70s pa. although it has no cassette deck. (di pa yata uso cassette tapes nun.  ;D)

you might need to construct a dedicated plinth for it, if you plan to detach it from the component body...just a guess

will this be more expensive and time consuming as compared to just buying a dedicated TT at the buy and sell section? if so, i might just ditch the idea of detaching the TT from the stereo.

will try to post the details and, hopefully, some pictures of the unit.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 04:20 PM »
yes, sir. that's it. if i'm not mistaken, i think it's circa 70s pa. although it has no cassette deck. (di pa yata uso cassette tapes nun.  ;D)

will this be more expensive and time consuming as compared to just buying a dedicated TT at the buy and sell section? if so, i might just ditch the idea of detaching the TT from the stereo.

will try to post the details and, hopefully, some pictures of the unit.

a picture would be great or just the model for us the google on. but i think it will just boil down to my recommendation that you'd be better off getting a 2nd hand or NOS TT in the marketplace.  :D

the fun part in making the decision is the spec of the TT that you'd like to invest in. my personal opinion is (to get you started)

* a decent brand with a direct drive motor (less maintenance for analog newbies like me)
* semi-automatic,
* 1/2 mount cartridge (availability of cart and stylus - 1 of the most important things to take note of, cuz might spend more money on the these than the TT itself),
* wooden plinth (much classier to look at - at least for me),
* multi-volt or 220v (reason - you want to save as much money as you can. saved money can be used to buy a new cart or stylus rather than a xformer. also, you can just plug the TT to the back of your amp's 220v outlet, or vice versa for 100/110v amps)
* good cosmetic condition
* should have a ground wire aside from the 2 RCA's (much better if the RCA is not permanently fixed, RCA female plugs preferred)
* speed selector
* test test and test the TT before you buy. there are a lot of small issues in a TT that could be a matter of big concern once you bring it home.

hope this helps
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2010 at 04:22 PM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 07:29 PM »
a picture would be great or just the model for us the google on. but i think it will just boil down to my recommendation that you'd be better off getting a 2nd hand or NOS TT in the marketplace.  :D

the fun part in making the decision is the spec of the TT that you'd like to invest in. my personal opinion is (to get you started)

* a decent brand with a direct drive motor (less maintenance for analog newbies like me)
* semi-automatic,
* 1/2 mount cartridge (availability of cart and stylus - 1 of the most important things to take note of, cuz might spend more money on the these than the TT itself),
* wooden plinth (much classier to look at - at least for me),
* multi-volt or 220v (reason - you want to save as much money as you can. saved money can be used to buy a new cart or stylus rather than a xformer. also, you can just plug the TT to the back of your amp's 220v outlet, or vice versa for 100/110v amps)
* good cosmetic condition
* should have a ground wire aside from the 2 RCA's (much better if the RCA is not permanently fixed, RCA female plugs preferred)
* speed selector
* test test and test the TT before you buy. there are a lot of small issues in a TT that could be a matter of big concern once you bring it home.

hope this helps

good recommendations. the only problem probably would be what to test, and how to go about it and knowing what the small issues in a TT that could become a matter of big concern once brought home. :-[

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2010 at 05:58 PM »
^ for now i can only cite 2 possible hidden issues that I've encountered

Speed instability and hum.

Offline edgarryan

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2010 at 03:14 AM »
This is actually a good project, dismantling an old turntable and making a new one out of the parts.  I'm actually very interested.  What I'm planning to do is to add another arm to my existing turntable so it would have two arms.  There are many who sell used or broken turntables cheaply, and the parts can be used.  Para bang organ donor.  Hehehe.