Author Topic: Maverick Tubemagic - D1 DAC and A1 Hybrid Amp  (Read 16024 times)

Offline Topper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Maverick Tubemagic - D1 DAC and A1 Hybrid Amp
« on: Jun 30, 2010 at 09:56 PM »
Anyone try these out?

www.mavaudio.com

Maverick Tube Magic DAC lets you “upgrade” the audio listening experience for any type of setup. Whether you currently have a computer, game console, CD player or Squeezebox, simply plug the Tube Magic D1 in to enjoy superior high end sound quality.

Upsampling your digital music
From 16bit to 24bit, from 44.1 kHz to 96 kHz, Tube Magic D1’s professional-level Audio DAC produces an extremely accurate and distortion-free digital-to-analog conversion. Your digital music files have never sounded this good before.

Carefully designed analog processing circuit
Without a good analog stage, even the best quality digital music will sound dry and lifeless. After all, music will only be played in analog format via amplifiers, speakers and headphones. We spent a great deal of time to enhance the analog circuit to make sure the analog signal will sound natural, transparent and full detail.

“Tube Magic” vacuum tube preamp outputs stage

Vintage 5670 vacuum tube working in the DAC

The Tube Magic D1 comes with a vacuum tube pre-amp output stage in addition to the normal solid-state audio output. Powered by a vintage vacuum tube made in 1970’s, it adds a lot of warmth and smoothness to the music, especially to Vocal and Jazz genres. Furthermore, you can use this DAC as a full functional tube preamp, adding the “tube magic” to the two analog and three digital inputs.

A damn good Headphone Amplifier!
With up to 600 ohm impedance and 1000mW power output, this DAC has enough power to drive any headphone on the planet.

Line-in cord lets you plug in your iPod
Do you want to listen to your iPod with brilliant clarity? Simple. The Tube Magic DAC comes complete with a cord and front panel line-in jack for your iPod or other MP3 player. Just plug it in and you’re ready to rock.

High-end linear power supply
R-Core transformer is a super-regulated power circuit that purifies and enriches the digital-to-analog conversion bringing extremely pure, natural and detailed music output.

Uncompromised build quality
100% handmade with audio grade components topped off with a brushed aluminum front panel. We make sure this baby is a serious audio equipment.

It’s flexible and easy to set-up
Two digital sources (optical and coaxial) means that network music devices, media players, games consoles, CD/DVD players etc. can be connected concurrently using S/PDIF (Coaxial) or Toslink (Optical) inputs.

Two analog sources (one line-in on the front panel and one analog in on the back) means that iPods, portable music players, vintage audio equipment, or any audio device without digital outputs can be connected concurrently using the 1/4″ or RCA input.

Additionally, you can connect the Tube Magic DAC directly to your PC using a USB connection (no drivers needed) and dramatically improve the quality of your digital music.

Hardware:

What’s included:

Maverick Audio Tube Magic DAC
User’s quick start guide
Line-in cord for most iPod and other MP3 players with standard 3.5 mm jack
USB cable
1/8″ (3.5mm) to 1/4″ (6.5mm) gold plated headphone jack converter
AC Power Cord

Audio inputs

Optical audio input x 1 (Digital)
Coaxial audio input x 1 (Digital)
USB connector x 1 (Digital)
Analog audio input x 1 (Analog)
Line-in audio input x 1 (Analog)
Optical connector: TOSLINK 660nm
Coax connector: RCA, 500mVpp into 75 ohms
Analog  connector: RCA, 1000k ohms
Accepted sample rates: 32khz, 44.1Khz, 48Khz, 88.2Khz, 96Khz
Accepted audio format: linear PCM, 16, 20 or 24 bits per sample
Audio outputs:

All RCA connectors are gold-plated
Volume control is provided for all outputs
Two dedicated linear power regulators for DAC and line-out stages
Dedicated linear power regulators for Tube stage
Analog RCA outputs signal-to-noise ratio: >96dB
Tube pre-out outputs signal-to-noise ration: >90dB
Total harmonic distortion: less than 0.001% (RCA outputs), less than 0.1% (Tube pre-out outputs)
Maximum output power:   1000mW x 2 (32 ohms), 500mW x 2 (300 ohms), 300mW x 2 (600 ohms)
Headphone outputs:

Standard 1/4″ jack
Minimum headphone impedance: 16 ohms
Maximum headphone impedance: 600 ohms
Headphone output power: 300mW ~ 1000mW
Power:

R-core Linear 110/220 manual switch
Physical:

Dimensions: 10″W x 2.1″H x 6.5″D (260mm x 55mm x 167mm)
Finish: brushed aluminum in black color
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010 at 09:55 PM by Topper »

Online Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Maverick Tubemagic D1 - digital-to-analog converter
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2010 at 07:02 AM »
Heya Manoj,

Are you planning to buy this, or are you thinking of distributing it? It sure looks like an interesting product.

After doing some research, it seems like a revision of the popular Xiang Sheng DAC-01.

Thanks!

Offline geriboy

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2010 at 09:11 PM »
interesting... how much is it? :D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 12:59 AM »
Nice. I wonder how this would perform...?  ;)

New product line Topper?
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010 at 01:00 AM by Nelson de Leon »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 03:59 AM »
It seems like it can accept studio master quality through USB. I sure hope it does, as it can open the doors to high quality recordings for more people.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 08:16 PM »
interesting... how much is it? :D

wondering the same thing.

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 09:33 PM »
based on the website it sells for $199

http://www.mavaudio.com/

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 09:39 PM »
no pricing yet but once we have, will make an appropriate post in the marketplace section :). This post is just for info and details on the Maverick gear :).

Speaking of Maverick gear, check out the info on the upcomming new Tubemagic A1 hybrid amplifier:

http://www.mavaudio.com/base/blog/

Same form factor as the D1 and also has a much awaited pure tube headphone amplifier output stage :).

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
Re: Maverick Tubemagic - D1 DAC and A1 Hybrid Amp
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 03:35 PM »
Those are nice products Manoj. :) Perfect for a desktop stereo.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 04:15 PM »
Those are nice products Manoj. :) Perfect for a desktop stereo.

I want that for my bedroom!

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 05:18 PM »
already posted on the marketplace section - http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,117147.0.html

:)

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2010 at 05:38 PM »
Check out the review:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.com.au/index.php/audio-reviews/dac-reviews/item/80-maverick-tubemagic-d1

Here's a quick quote:

"Upgrading the Maverick to the vintage 5670 NOS tube brought with it an extra level of excitement and expectation.  This DAC had already surpassed the Cambridge DAC - wasn't that enough?  Nope.  After an extended run-in period, the NOS-tubed Maverick was called to task by Grace Jones (and Trevor Horn) on their 1985 pop-art masterpiece Slave To The Rhythm.  Mid-range focus was sharpened and Ian McShane's deep-throated (Linda Lovelace pun intended) narration sounded so utterly real.   Did treble sound a shade sweeter?  Most definitely."

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2010 at 02:22 PM »
Sir,

Would just like to ask if the D1 DAC was compared with a Philips TDA1541 or TDA1543 powered CDP or ext DAC?
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2010 at 09:55 PM by rascal101 »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 04:30 PM »
The D1 DAC and the A1 Amplifier are now gracefully playing in my room. Initial impressions are very good. :)

I'd post more details once I get more listening time with them.

Thanks Manoj for bringing this great product to the market.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 06:13 PM »
Great! I'll see you this weekend. I wanna hear that tube DAC. Imagine having an external DAC with studio master capabilities & tube preamp (for those who want to try a hybrid system) rolled into one.  ;)

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 07:28 PM »
It's getting some workout at this very moment (care of Linn Records, Gimell Records and HD Tracks).  :D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 08:42 PM »
 ;D Testing the studio master capabilities of the DAC ha.  ;)

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 09:17 AM »
;D Testing the studio master capabilities of the DAC ha.  ;)

Yes Nelson. :) It's only befitting that I test them with the best material I have.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 09:21 AM »
Thanks Topper for giving me a chance to experience this product’s performance.

So far, I have only used the TubeMagic D1 with the TubeMagic A1. These units have Tungsol tubes (optional I believe). They are hooked-up using Cambridge Audio interconnects and heavy (AWG 10) copper cables terminated with Profigold banana plugs. This duo is currently powering Wharfedale Diamond 9.3 bookshelf speakers, as these are the best-suited speakers that I have at hand. The speakers are 2.5 meters apart, 1.3 meters to the back wall, and over 1 meter away from the closest side wall. Both speakers are toed-in directly to the listening position. The listening position is just over 3 meters away from the speakers, and 1 meter away from the back wall. The room itself is largely untreated (hardwood walls and floor, but with acoustic boards as ceiling material and drapes covering the closer side wall and the back wall)

I would have to add that it has been some time since my room was last populated with electron tube-equipped audio gear. This brought back some fond memories of my DIY days.

I used the digital optical inputs extensively, because it allowed me to bitstream the material from my computer without alteration, while benefiting from galvanic isolation. The TubeMagic D1 graciously accepted material upto 24-bit/48kHz (I instructed my resampler to take over for my materials sampled at 88kHz/96kHz/192kHz). The USB input also works great, but it converts the material to 16-bit 48kHz (a common limitation of USB receiver chips), so the SPDIF inputs are the best choice for studio master quality media (lower quality files may still benefit from the elimination of this conversion). I left the D1 in direct mode to minimize losses (though the D1 volume control has proven to be fairly transparent when not being bypassed), and controlled the volume using the A1. I also preferred using the tube out of the D1, as it sounded “fuller” overall.

Take note that I’m a big SS guy who’s used to running much burlier amps, and my comments might reflect that preference.

Here’s what I have noticed so far:

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE/BUILD

The actual units are really small, with easy to read white labels over black. The items are fairly lightweight (kind of expected since these are simpler designs). Though I did not use them, the packages came with interconnect & power cables (so generous of them). The packaging material is very simple by the way, and is fairly earth-friendly (mostly paper-based, with some use of plastics).

The switchgear worked with satisfying clicks. The volume control also clicked (a little less forcefully), but I’m not sure if they are indeed resistor type units (I suppose at this price point, they’re probably just Pots with the same feel).

Overall, they feel fairly durable and look like other components in the same price range. The only thing I miss is the remote control.  

SOUND QUALITY

STAGE

Distance: Started a meter in front of the speaker plane at my preferred volume level (lower volume pulls it further back, and naturally collapses the depth).

Width: Extreme left and extreme right positions are about 0.5m beyond the left and right speakers. Apparent stage spills beyond these limits because of the diffused air around instruments (typical tube character).

Height: Fixed to around tweeter level, with some instruments hitting a bit higher or lower.

Depth: About 1.5 meters (stage terminates about half a meter behind the speaker plane). Layering is excellent for the price (most gear in this price point don’t even layer).

Ambience: Lots of space around the stage, helped with airy sounds from instruments. I like perceiving the room size of the recording venue, but this gives a bigger than life presentation (in my experience, preferred by many people).

IMAGING

Position: Precise and good spacing from extreme left to extreme right; convincing left, center and right images

Focus: Bigger than life instrument sizes and somewhat diffused focus (stereotypical tube character)

TONAL ACCURACY

Sub Bass: Excellent for a 20wpc amp driving bookshelves; SS-like (not flabby tube bass); more than enough for a good overall presentation (this amp is not designed to rock your world).

Mid Bass: Better timing than other tube gear I’ve heard, though more relaxed than SS gear; a decent middle ground.

Midrange: Very pleasant vocals and string sound; plucks and hits are just mildly smeared, but are well within acceptable range; brass has a bit less bite than normal.

High Frequencies: Mildly rolled-off, but still very detailed; cymbals and snare do not call attention (allows the listener to probe deeper into the music); minimal sibilance; violin attack could be harder.

SPECTRAL BALANCE

Low Volume: Good overall balance, with largely pleasant coloration; fairly strong lows make it very listenable at lower levels.

High Volume: Dynamics is more than I expected from 20 watts. In smaller rooms (or with the right speakers), this might even be enough to be realistic. Spectral balance was very good overall, with no parts of the spectrum being overwhelmed by another. However, there was an obvious tilt to favor the lower frequencies (not quite dark-sounding, but it’s predisposed to warmth).

LISTENING PLEASURE

I’d be perfectly happy with this gear for vocals, jazz, and other similar genres. The sound is not stressful to listen to, and in fact it is very pleasant overall. It will also play rock, dance and R&B just fine (again, surprising for 20wpc), though it will be interpreted differently. Trance & house will also be audibly tenderized.

It’s a bit short in realism when handling classical music (lacking a fast attack and solid dynamics), but it can handle it for non-critical listening (background music for example).

NOISE FLOOR

There is a mild hiss when you put your ears close to the tweeter at higher volumes. This is perfectly acceptable and normal, as I’ve heard far more expensive gear having the same issue (it’s not audible from the listening position).

There are audible clicks (and some noise) during changes in sampling rates and bit depths. This is normal DAC operation (all my DACs do this).

OVERALL

The sound is like the stereotypical tube output, with a euphonic midrange, smooth highs, and soft compression at the dynamic limits, but without the flabby lows of weaker tubes.

The D1 is very affordable for a tube DAC, and delivers output that I feel is superior to the price-comparable V-DAC (despite the older DAC chip used) in terms of apparent dynamics and extension. It is not the last word in detail (the DacMagic might get that crown for this price range), but the fact that it doubles as a headphone amp and a preamp (source selector & gain control) makes it a great bargain.

The A1 sounds like an older SS amplifier (lots of warmth and bottom end), injected with some tube qualities. People running separates have been using tube preamps with solid state power amps for the longest time, to get the benefits of both designs. This unit integrated that design to a desktop amplifier.

The pieces work great together. The pair produces a tube-like midrange, while retaining some low end authority that’s always been solid-state’s strength. Building a tube DAC or CDP based system, coupled with a tube integrated amp delivering 20WPC would cost quite a bit more (and would likely require more maintenance in the long term). This pair delivers a similar output for quite a bit less money.

Power output is sufficient for moderate sized rooms, as long as you choose the right speaker pair (of course I had to twist the volume knob more than I was used to). The tube inputs seem to exhibit tube compression well before the SS side starts clipping, so you can turn up the volume (if you choose to) without much harshness (the tubes compress the SS input, so the SS side barely clips) – this is a smart soft-clip feature/trait that some people might actually like exploring.

The D1/A1 combo has a lot of strong competition at this price range (the NAD C515BEE/C315BEE and the Cambridge 340C/340A are prime examples). Maverick Audio made the smart decision of not going against these established rivals head to head, but by differentiating itself by going after a largely untapped niche (budget-constrained tube aficionados).

CONCLUSION

It’s the perfect bedroom or desktop stereo. The relaxed output will help soothe you, and will not wake you up with thunderous noises if indeed you fall asleep. The low volume listenability is also a big plus in these settings (you don’t have to turn it up to enjoy the music). If you like the tube sound (or the vintage SS sound), then you’d probably love this. It’s a great upgrade to a PC-based music system, and will also complement a humble dvd/cd player.

If you’re into analytical listening, love a dynamic sound, and have lots more money to spare, then you have other options out there. However, that still wouldn't prevent you from appreciating what a simple joy it is to listen to something so practical and small.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2010 at 06:13 PM by Stagea »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 09:25 AM »
I should add that I think this would match well with brighter sounding speakers (Polk Audio TSi/RTi, Mordaunt-Short Avant/Aviano, Paradigm Monitor, etc.).

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM »
Thanks Topper for giving me a chance to experience this product’s performance.

Take note that I’m a big SS guy who’s used to running much burlier amps, and my comments might reflect that preference.

May bagay kung baliktad. Burlier guy with big S/S amps.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Nice reviews master. Couldn't wait to audition it tonight. Let's pair it with tube amp naman.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 10:31 AM »
May bagay kung baliktad. Burlier guy with big S/S amps.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Nice reviews master. Couldn't wait to audition it tonight. Let's pair it with tube amp naman.

Ganun na din yun. Naku pang mayaman yang bagong EAR 890 mo. Baka malusaw sa hiya ang gamit ko pag tinabi.

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 02:33 PM »
Hey STAGEA thanks for posting your thoughts on em bud :). If you get a chance, do post some pix of the setup as well will ya :).

NELSON - Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get a chance to listen to the setup :)

If any of you guys are into headphones, definitely try em out with em. Many people say that in itself is well worth the price tag alone :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 03:21 PM »
Hey STAGEA thanks for posting your thoughts on em bud :). If you get a chance, do post some pix of the setup as well will ya :).

NELSON - Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get a chance to listen to the setup :)

If any of you guys are into headphones, definitely try em out with em. Many people say that in itself is well worth the price tag alone :)

Kailangan ng magpost si Ivan sa HT gallery ng system nya.  :D

Sure Manoj. Will bring my amp later at master Ivan's palace.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 06:35 PM »
Kailangan ng magpost si Ivan sa HT gallery ng system nya.  :D

Bawal yun. Ikaw dapat ang magpost.

@Topper

You're very welcome. Here are some pics:

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2010 at 07:00 PM by Stagea »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM »
Thanks master Nelson for stopping by and bringing your power amplifier and cd player. :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 08:20 PM »
Thanks Master Guru Ivan for letting me inside your palace.  :D

We hooked-up my old denon cdp, both analog and digital (via optical), still using the D1 & A1 paired with Master Stagea's Wharfs. In analog mode, utilizing the tube output, it sounded warm. less detail but very "tubey". In the middle of the song, we switched to optical input employing the D1's DAC. I immediately become aware of the distinction. The highs were very specified with added extension. It did retain the warmth with added punch and a little weight in the lower midrange region.

Next was my 2A3 power amp hooked on the D1 DAC only, with Master Stagea's CPU (server na ata ito ;D kasi more than 10 internal HDDs ang laman) as music source. It did not produce a high volume because my flea amp needed at least 6 volts to produce a melodious tune. Nevertheless, there was a tad difference from my old denon optically connected. But when Ivan switched to his 24 bit collection, i could slowly feel my lips making a big smile. The details of the instruments were astonishingly relaxing. Twas a blissful conherence of the equipments. Even when the volume pot of the D1 DAC was positioned at max level, there was no palpable distortion. I wanted to stay longer but Master Stagea looked heavy-eyed na   :D.

Nice gears Manoj. the D1 DAC performed beyond my expectations for the price. Tunog high end minus the high end price.  ;) The DAC was superb. May added selection na ang mga PDvders for an external DAC and tube preamp. Imagine having an 2 analog inputs (rear rca & front line in) and 3 digital inputs (coax, optical & USB) in one system plus the bypass option for the volume pot.  :D This is a good alternative for those planning to upgrade their cdp, and/or forecasting to use their computer or media player as a digital source for their music.

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 08:38 PM »
Finally, some words from a tube-lover. :) It indeed was superior to the Denon's output. More detailed and far more dynamic.

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 08:51 PM »
STAGEA:

Great pix bud. Thanks a bunch :).

NELSON:

Told ya it'd live up to the hype :)

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 24, 2010 at 02:20 PM »
You're welcome Topper. The pleasure is mine. :)