Author Topic: Re: ZigmaHornet Speaker Cabinet  (Read 37233 times)

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ZigmaHornet Speaker Cabinet
« on: Sep 15, 2010 at 04:31 PM »
I am preparing to convert my old Bose Companion 2 to ZigmaHornet Cabinet design to maximize its performance.  I'll keep you update as soon as this thing is done.  My only problem is time.  The cabinet design is very good for both HT and audio.  The cost is also cheap and easy to build.

Here is link 6 Moons Audio Review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

;)

"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2010 at 05:52 PM »
Parinig niyan kapag natapos  :)

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2010 at 07:03 PM »
parang tower fan ah hehe... ok din yung center speaker nya ang daming drivers  ;D

ito may sub pa  :D

pero ok sa design. good luck at feedback agad.  :)

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2010 at 08:44 AM »
sir, upload agad sa you tube ha!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mukhang okay to ah! pag may time eh baka gumawa din ako! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2010 at 08:48 AM by shrek7 »

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2010 at 09:46 PM »
Parinig niyan kapag natapos  :)
Oo bro.  Yung power amp chip ng Bose Companion 2 TDA7377.  2 X 30 @ 4 ohms.  Meaning, max.power pala ng Bose speaker driver mga 15-20watts siguro. Kasi 5 watts RMS 4ohms siya. Tamang tama sa Zigmahornet. :)
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2010 at 09:48 PM »
sir, upload agad sa you tube ha!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mukhang okay to ah! pag may time eh baka gumawa din ako! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Oo murang mura yan. Tapos Audio Nirvana Super 3 in cast frame.  Pasok sa budget mo.

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2010 at 10:57 AM »
@monreq,

care to share the dimension? parang nasa 6" lang ang width ah. anong gagamitin mong material?

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM »
sir tony aka trod93 made a several of these and i must say these are one of the best sounding speakers I heard. the speakers will give some of the more expensive brands a run for their money
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2010 at 07:09 PM »
sir tony aka trod93 made a several of these and i must say these are one of the best sounding speakers I heard. the speakers will give some of the more expensive brands a run for their money

Yep!!!!

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2010 at 07:36 PM »
Yep!!!!

pikit-mata, maski anong anggulo tiwarik, yan ang forte ni sir trod93  ;D

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2010 at 07:58 PM »
I've been wanting to do something like this too.... abangan ko to. :)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM »
I am preparing to convert my old Bose Companion 2 to ZigmaHornet Cabinet design to maximize its performance.  I'll keep you update as soon as this thing is done.  My only problem is time.  The cabinet design is very good for both HT and audio.  The cost is also cheap and easy to build.

Here is link 6 Moons Audio Review:

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-1879.htm

;)

monreq, this is interesting project. Bose companion 2 is quite small speaker and small escursion movement. Hope this work fine! Keep us posted on the development! Goodluck!

This might be the best speakers for this project:

Heres the Plan:

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2010 at 01:42 PM »
Uy! simple lang gawin. mas maganda siguro mas makapal na base. say, 2" na yakal. ayos!  :)

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2010 at 02:31 PM »
monreq, this is interesting project. Bose companion 2 is quite small speaker and small escursion movement. Hope this work fine! Keep us posted on the development! Goodluck!

This might be the best speakers for this project:

Heres the Plan:

Thanks bro.  Time and budget lang kailangan ko.  Pero kating kating na talaga ako simulan.  Regarding the compatibility of Bose Companion Fullrange to Zigmahornet cabinets.  I would say it is experimental and risk on my side.  However, I study the Fostex 103, the successful fullrange driver used in Zigmahornet (pls.click this link: https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_241_309&products_id=8825, and found out that the only difference is the size and impedance.  The actual size of Fostex 103 speaker driver is 3" and Bose Companion 2 is only 2.5".  Bose is 4ohms 5 watts rms.  The amp that is driving the companion is using TDA 7377 I.C chip which is 35watts maximum at 4ohms per channel.  That means the Bose companion 2 has an estimated wattage of 5 - 15 watts @ 4ohms just like Fostex  FE 103 fullrange driver. 

Here are the exact pictures of Bose companion 2 fullrange speaker driver. It has midbass and clear sound reproduction even without box.

:)

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2010 at 02:40 PM »
If ever the Bose Companion works perfectly fine with Zigmahornet cabinet.  I will again disassemble my other Bose Companion 2 to make another one. Para pang center speaker ko.  Ito kasing 1st experiment ko will be for surround.  Since powered naman ang Bose Companion 2 and maganda naman ang amp niya, i think it will work out fine using only DTS/DD decoder from cheap DVD players if ever I want to use it for HT.

Now, if Bose Companion 2 will be a failiure.  I still have lots of options on fullrange drivers.  I can buy Audio Nirvana Super 3 in Cast frame or Fostex FE103 in this case, which will not be so extravagant to buy because of its size and weight.

I hope to finish this before this month end or else it will sing next month.  I also hope it will be successful.  Para di na ako bibili pa ng fullrange speakers.
 :)

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2010 at 03:15 PM »
As a suggestion, you can also get the specs of the actual 4" driver used by the original designer of the ZigmaHornet and have Anthony custom make it for you thru his supplier abroad.

If many of you would like to try this DIY speaker, having someone to supply the drivers would make the project more feasible as you only have to do the enclosure ;)
On the other hand, pwede rin cguro eto i-explore ni brader anthony to produce (driver & enclosure) for those who may not be inclined to DIY.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2010 at 04:24 PM »
As a suggestion, you can also get the specs of the actual 4" driver used by the original designer of the ZigmaHornet and have Anthony custom make it for you thru his supplier abroad.

If many of you would like to try this DIY speaker, having someone to supply the drivers would make the project more feasible as you only have to do the enclosure ;)
On the other hand, pwede rin cguro eto i-explore ni brader anthony to produce (driver & enclosure) for those who may not be inclined to DIY.

May nagawa na ata si anthony na 4'ers.

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM »
I like your suggestions Mr. Macdon and Nelson.  But since this is just an experiment and already talked to my carpenter..his asking price for the cabinets in mahogany varnish finish is only P2K over all.  Siguro, pag successful iyong experiment saka ko patira kay Anthony final finishing ng mga speaker cabinets ko, if budget permits. I am the one supervising para sigurado wala mali.  Besides, the carpenter knows his craft.  Siya din kasi tumira ng Audio NIrvana Super 8 floorstander ko.:)

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2010 at 01:33 PM »
I like your suggestions Mr. Macdon and Nelson.  But since this is just an experiment and already talked to my carpenter..his asking price for the cabinets in mahogany varnish finish is only P2K over all.  Siguro, pag successful iyong experiment saka ko patira kay Anthony final finishing ng mga speaker cabinets ko, if budget permits. I am the one supervising para sigurado wala mali.  Besides, the carpenter knows his craft.  Siya din kasi tumira ng Audio NIrvana Super 8 floorstander ko.:)

Definitely sir ;) Iba talaga pag either ikaw ang gumagawa or sa harap nyo ginagawa - thats actually half the fun of the project! ;D
I was just trying to entice brader Anthony to possibly explore these types of speakers at malay natin baka isama nya sa regular production ng A-Audio.

The reviews naman sa net is enough warrant to atleast try and explore. Inexpensive, slim footprint and good sounds - perfect sa ating mga pinoys ;D
I am wishing for your success in this project sir Monreq - and hope you could give us feedback in the near future ;)

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2010 at 09:51 PM »
oo nga bro sana gumawa ng ganito si Anthony...puwedeng pang audio at HT at mas mura pa production cost.  Pag bitin sa LF, subz lang katapat.  Sabi din sa review madali daw i match sa subz ang zigmahornet cabinet design. :)

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2010 at 04:00 PM »
Hi

I used Sony 4" fullrange drivers for this Zigmahornet. Sounds good and impressive bass for its size. In fact, I made a complete HT setup on this. If you have the right drivers, this can be a great diy project. I've done 3 variants already and they all sound awesome.

The floorstander in satin black with narra accents.

My 6.1 HT setup.

IMO, the supposedly center channel is even better for audio compared to the fs.

I'm back to audio and all of these have been sold except for 1 pair for my personal use.

A week ago, one of the buyers called me and asked if I can modify it and make it sound even better. I'm now working on it. I added a horn tweeter and they now have 3D imaging. I will post pic when I'm done.
This one will look really different. Radical ito! Watch out for it.

If you have questions on the design just let me know. I will gladly answer your queries.

Tony

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2010 at 04:30 PM »
oo nga bro sana gumawa ng ganito si Anthony...puwedeng pang audio at HT at mas mura pa production cost.  Pag bitin sa LF, subz lang katapat.  Sabi din sa review madali daw i match sa subz ang zigmahornet cabinet design. :)

Naku sir - be careful of what you wish for ;D

I just heard from Anthony na tapos na daw yung woodworks - ikakabit nalang daw nya yung 4" coax nya kaso wala daw syang time at the moment.
I did recommend him to possibly try it out with a 4" fullrange rather than a 4" coax at baka maging brite ang tunog. But, sabi nya subukan lang daw nya muna - besides, he can easily order 4" fullrange speakers with any specs naman daw.

Lets just keep our fingers crossed ;)

Offline kemozavi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2010 at 05:46 PM »
Good day mga sir. :) Gusto ko sana itry tong design na ito and i was on my way into ordering the speakers... tanong ko lang kung meron specific spec akong dapat hanapin so I can make this design work???

I narrowed down my choices into 3 speakers.... patulong naman po mamili kung ano yung sa tingin ninyong mas suitable. TIA.  :)

Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo Cone Driver

Specifications: *Power handling: 12 watts RMS/25 watts max *VCdia: 3/4" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 6.6 ohms *Frequency range: 105-20,000 Hz *Fs: 105 Hz *SPL: 86 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.07 cu. ft. *Qms: 2.48 *Qes: 0.77 *Qts: 0.59 *Xmax: 0.5 mm *Dimensions: Overall diameter 3-5/8", Cutout diameter 3", Depth 2". 

HiVi B3N 3" Aluminum Driver Round Frame

Specifications: *Power handling: 15 watts RMS/30 watts max *VCdia: 3/4" *Znom: 8 ohms *Re: 6.5 ohms *Frequency range: 100-7,000 Hz *Fs: 77 Hz *SPL: 81 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.06 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.48 *Qes: 1.07 *Qts: 0.86 *Xmax: 3 mm *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 3-1/2", Cutout Diameter: 2-7/8", Mounting Depth: 2-1/8".

Tang Band W3-593SF 3" Driver

Specifications: *Power Handling: 12 watts RMS/25 watts max *VCdia: 3/4" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 6.6 ohms *Frequency range: 110-20,000 Hz *Fs: 110 Hz *SPL: 86 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.06 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.99 *Qes: 0.67 *Qts: 0.59 *Xmax: 0.5 mm *Dimensions: Overall diameter 3-3/16", Cutout diameter 3-1/16", Depth 2-1/4". 

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2010 at 06:37 PM »
I tried ordering TB from their site. Ang mahal. Tapos do ko pa sure kung maganda tumunog. Dapat yun 8" full range paper cone ang type ko.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #24 on: Sep 25, 2010 at 09:20 PM »
Hi

I used Sony 4" fullrange drivers for this Zigmahornet. Sounds good and impressive bass for its size. In fact, I made a complete HT setup on this. If you have the right drivers, this can be a great diy project. I've done 3 variants already and they all sound awesome.

The floorstander in satin black with narra accents.

My 6.1 HT setup.

IMO, the supposedly center channel is even better for audio compared to the fs.

I'm back to audio and all of these have been sold except for 1 pair for my personal use.

A week ago, one of the buyers called me and asked if I can modify it and make it sound even better. I'm now working on it. I added a horn tweeter and they now have 3D imaging. I will post pic when I'm done.
This one will look really different. Radical ito! Watch out for it.

If you have questions on the design just let me know. I will gladly answer your queries.

Tony

congrats  :o :o :o asteeeg sir trod93!

Offline kemozavi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 26, 2010 at 07:31 AM »
I tried ordering TB from their site. Ang mahal. Tapos do ko pa sure kung maganda tumunog. Dapat yun 8" full range paper cone ang type ko.

medyo mahal nga sir yung 8" na full range nila... kinoconsider ko yung hi-vi na 3" 700+ lang ang landed cost I've read a lot of good reviews about it narin thing is pang sealed ata siya... pwede rin ba ito sa zigmahornet na enclosure or dapat yung speaker na nakadesign for ported boxes ang kunin ko?

Thanks!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM »
medyo mahal nga sir yung 8" na full range nila... kinoconsider ko yung hi-vi na 3" 700+ lang ang landed cost I've read a lot of good reviews about it narin thing is pang sealed ata siya... pwede rin ba ito sa zigmahornet na enclosure or dapat yung speaker na nakadesign for ported boxes ang kunin ko?

Thanks!

Hindi ko masasagot yan kasi nun nalaman ko price nung 8"er nila, hindi na ako nagresearch muli.  :D Preo IMHO for P700, there's no harm in trying. Masmaliit naman ang enclosure ng sealed so matipid subukan.  ;) Then make another zigma enclosure. I don't think uubos ka naman ng isang buong plywood for the sealed and Zigma enclosure.

Pwede mo din i-check ang mga drivers ng SEAS bro after ng experiments mo. Na-try ko na ang Lotus Reference nila sa oto. Pasado sa akin. Pricey nga lang pero sulit naman.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM »
^ Okay yan - Seas or maybe even scanspeak ;) Yun nga lang medyo mahal sila.

May binangit sa akin si Atnhony dati na Sony speaker na talagang maganda raw sa vocals/mid. Galing daw ata sa mga Sony XBR TVs kaso talagang ubusan na at wala na stocks ::)

How big a departure kaya if instead of 4", we use a 5"? Of course a little bit of woodworks is added in the speaker mounting of the driver to implement the bigger driver.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 26, 2010 at 12:14 PM »
^ Okay yan - Seas or maybe even scanspeak ;) Yun nga lang medyo mahal sila.

May binangit sa akin si Atnhony dati na Sony speaker na talagang maganda raw sa vocals/mid. Galing daw ata sa mga Sony XBR TVs kaso talagang ubusan na at wala na stocks ::)

How big a departure kaya if instead of 4", we use a 5"? Of course a little bit of woodworks is added in the speaker mounting of the driver to implement the bigger driver.

Tapos 6", gaya ni Gino. Then 8" na. Wala na... Balik malaking drivers. Hehe! palibahasa malaki na house mo.  ;) Buti na lang wala akong pera nung nakita ko yun excel 8" full range and tweeters.

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2010 at 01:50 PM »
@kemozavi - i think your short list of drivers will work too pero mabibitin ka sa bass. You will need a sub for the low freqs or lengthen the horn/pipe. I did a pair with a 9ft pipe with good results. Post ko rin ito once done. Parang parts express ang souce mo sa mga drivers. If I may suggest, try checking out the pioneer 4" fullrange. If memory serves me right, 70hz ang fs niya. S15-20 lang yata isa.

Anyway, just finished the horn tweeters that will be mated to the Sony drivers in a horizontal Zigmahorn. Since the Magnavox horns are 16 ohms and very efficient,I added a -6db L-pad and a 0.47uf Sprague oil cap for a cutoff of around 16khz.

Magnavox horn tweeters in custom made mount. I placed wood on the lip of the horn to dampen it and minimize ringing. Medyo may harshness ang highs without it.

The rear cover of the horns are actually the cap or cover of a canned spray paint which I cut to 3/4" thick. The original rear cover of the horn tweeters are made of styro. Kinain pa ng ipis kaya pangit na tignan. Now they look neat.

Side view.

These horns will be placed on top of the horizontal Zigmahorn. I'm just waiting for the polyurethane varnish  to dry up on the walnut veneers. I'll post the finished product tomorrow.