Author Topic: Polk Audio LSI Series  (Read 57380 times)

Offline ron_cs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • The Wanderer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Polk Audio LSI Series
« Reply #30 on: Oct 16, 2010 at 07:01 PM »
Sana makarating dito sa PH ang LSi M series para mapalitan ko na ang luma kong Polk Monitor 70 ;D ;D ;D

From The Land Down Under

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #31 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 02:25 AM »

The new Polk LSi M series.

I love the tall profile. The tweeter height is right about perfect.. :D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 03:36 AM »
Last Tuesday was my third time to hear an LSi9 pair. I’ve heard them with the Marantz PM8003, the Harman HK 990 and a VTL amp (dunno the model, but it had 8 KT88s… 4 per side). I particularly liked them with the Marantz and the VTL. Both gave justice to these magnificent speakers, as the Marantz livened up the dynamics, while the VTL provided an enveloping sound and air around instruments. The Harman was also good, but the partnership got exceedingly warm to my taste.

Going back to the speakers:   Build quality is excellent. It easily passes the knock test, and the weight is truly reassuring. Aesthetics is top-notch, save for that white print on the tweeter waveguide. The sonic character is lush, smooth and refined. It’s the type of speaker that draws you into the music. These speakers can be a bit reserved in the upper registers (when used for movies or electronica), but natural music presentation is its true raison d’etre. Jazz vocals are intimate and the wind from brass instruments reverberate with a vibrant burnished tone. String instruments become pleasingly lovely with that balmy resonance from the woodwork. Percussions come to life with a controlled and satisfying snap. Dynamics is truly there, as long as you have the right amp for the job. Testing some fairly complex tracks showed that these speakers don’t easily congest (a problem I notice with lesser speakers).

I would’ve wanted to test the LSi9s with some classical works, but I forgot to bring test discs. :D However, I’m sure they’d do great in those as well. It’s astonishing how this decade-old design can keep up with the current offerings, and still offer amazing value (great sound for the outlay).

The LSi M may be coming, but the outgoing LSi models are still shining brightly. It’s hard not to recommend them at their respective price points. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2010 at 03:38 AM by Stagea »

Offline ron_cs

• Collector
  • The Wanderer
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 04:52 AM »
Sir Stagea,

A noob question, I'm currently using Marantz PM8003 paired with MS Mezzo 2 but I'm planning to replace this babies with Polk Rti9 coz I like their lows extension, ang inaalala ko lang sir ay is my Marantz 100w@4ohms are enough juice to drive this power hungry Polks?

TIA :)
From The Land Down Under

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 05:19 AM »
Sir Stagea,

A noob question, I'm currently using Marantz PM8003 paired with MS Mezzo 2 but I'm planning to replace this babies with Polk Rti9 coz I like their lows extension, ang inaalala ko lang sir ay is my Marantz 100w@4ohms are enough juice to drive this power hungry Polks?

TIA :)
Hi Ron,

Nice gear you have there. The Mezzos are excellent speakers too. :)

The PM8003 could power them just fine if you don't play very loud or if you're in a confined space. Amps that are capable of extracting the full dynamic capability out of these speakers are truly hard to come by, but even lesser-powered amps would still sound good (and I think that really matters more)... as long as we're not talking about very low-power amps. :)

Even the HK 990 at a claimed 300WPC @ 4 ohms did not get these speakers to audibly distort before it did. How often do you play at levels that would take advantage of this anyway?

Also remember that the doubling of power can only raise the volume by about 3dB (with thermal compression, often it's even less). This gives you additional scale and dynamic headroom for transients (or to simply play louder), but it does not make a weaker amp less capable to sound good (as long as the desired playback volume remains within the weaker amp's limits).

It's like buying a Camry or an Accord, and choosing between the 4-banger (weaker amp) or the V6 (stronger amp). Just because the 4-banger has less power does not transform the car into a bad one. The V6 variant can accelerate and go faster with less effort, but aside from that, they're still the same car overall. :)

Just my tuppence worth. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2010 at 05:44 AM by Stagea »

Offline ron_cs

• Collector
  • The Wanderer
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM »
Very well said sir, you're right Mezzos are very nice speakers, kaya lang since na inilagay ko sa bedroom namin ang set up ko madalas gamitin ng wife ko and my son, and mostly they are playing their favorite bassy music like R&B and Pop at doon nagsimula bitin daw sa bass ;D ;D.

Well, at least malinaw na sa akin na kaya pa rin e-drive ng Marantz PM8003 ang Polk Lsi9.

Sir Stagea, Thanks and Good day.

(Sorry po sa OT)
From The Land Down Under

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 02:34 PM »
Very well said sir, you're right Mezzos are very nice speakers, kaya lang since na inilagay ko sa bedroom namin ang set up ko madalas gamitin ng wife ko and my son, and mostly they are playing their favorite bassy music like R&B and Pop at doon nagsimula bitin daw sa bass ;D ;D.

Well, at least malinaw na sa akin na kaya pa rin e-drive ng Marantz PM8003 ang Polk Lsi9.

Sir Stagea, Thanks and Good day.

(Sorry po sa OT)

You're welcome sir. An LSi9 pair would definitely have more bass than the Mezzo 2s. :) However, are you sure that this would be enough to satisfy your family's bass-heavy taste?

Have you considered adding a sub?
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2010 at 02:35 PM by Stagea »

Offline mikeer2002ph

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 05:20 PM »
the LSi 9 at 45+ K a pop, and its approaching its 8th year of existence (launched/reviewed circa 2002 in the US, launched worldwide in 2006) is still a worthy buy despite its age/technology/materials employed.

LSiM supposedly replaces them for 2011 (featuring a dedicated midrange)
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #38 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 06:39 PM »
Sana makarating dito sa PH ang LSi M series para mapalitan ko na ang luma kong Polk Monitor 70 ;D ;D ;D

Mapapalitan na yan for sure. You can have it ordered thru Sanjay or Topper.  ;) 1 &1/2 month ata bago dumating.   :D

And don't forget to invite me and master Stagea for auditioning pagdating.  ;D

You're welcome sir. An LSi9 pair would definitely have more bass than the Mezzo 2s. :) However, are you sure that this would be enough to satisfy your family's bass-heavy taste?

Have you considered adding a sub?

Looks like mabibitin pa din sila sa bass on a pair of BS. Baka sa FS mabitin pa din. Probably adding and integrating a sub would also be a better option.

Offline jon2

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 19, 2010 at 06:50 PM »

LSi 15 floorstanding speakers – P84,990 a pair

-          LSi F/X Surround Speakers – P52,990 a pair

-          LSi 9 bookshelf speakers – P52,990 a pair

-          LSI 7 bookshelf speakers – P42,490 a pair

-          LSi C center speaker – 32,390 each

SRP of the LSi series?

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 22, 2010 at 04:14 PM »
LSi 15 floorstanding speakers – P84,990 a pair

-          LSi F/X Surround Speakers – P52,990 a pair

-          LSi 9 bookshelf speakers – P52,990 a pair

-          LSI 7 bookshelf speakers – P42,490 a pair

-          LSi C center speaker – 32,390 each

SRP of the LSi series?

yup srp . :)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 03:36 PM »
was comparing the lsi 9 bookshelf to the b&w 683 floorstander. i found the lsi to be the better speaker.  smooth detailed sound with just the right amount of bass. come by the shop to check it out. :)

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 03:56 PM »

The new Polk LSi M series.

Ano kaya yung "m" dun sa LSI?  ::)   Macdon!! ;D  Hehehe - biro lang at hindi ko afford yan :D ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 04:02 PM »
Ano kaya yung "m" dun sa LSI?  ::)   Macdon!! ;D  Hehehe - biro lang at hindi ko afford yan :D ;D

MBagay kay Macdon.  ;)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 04:44 PM »

kayang kaya mo yan. :)

Offline jon2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM »
was comparing the lsi 9 bookshelf to the b&w 683 floorstander. i found the lsi to be the better speaker.  smooth detailed sound with just the right amount of bass. come by the shop to check it out. :)
agree  :).

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 05:22 PM »
i'll be having a set of the polk lsi 7. should be available for audition by next week. :)

Offline ivo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • meat is murder
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 08:17 PM »
Sir Marc,

The LSi9s I got from AV Shop are perfect! Best sounding bookshelf speakers for me.

Works so well with my Onkyo A9755, whether the source is CD, Vinyl, or even an ipod via a DS-A3 dock the sound reproduction is so good I'm thinking of buying a second pair for backup heheheh

And also James was very knowledgeable, accommodating, and helpful when we visited your shop for an audition... kahit Christmas eve na :) not like the other Polk Audio Dealer in Rockwell whose salesman said that all Polks sound the same "kase Polk yan e" heheheh

I highly recommend The AV Shop :)

Thanks again Marc!

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM »
Sir Marc,

The LSi9s I got from AV Shop are perfect! Best sounding bookshelf speakers for me.

Works so well with my Onkyo A9755, whether the source is CD, Vinyl, or even an ipod via a DS-A3 dock the sound reproduction is so good I'm thinking of buying a second pair for backup heheheh

And also James was very knowledgeable, accommodating, and helpful when we visited your shop for an audition... kahit Christmas eve na :) not like the other Polk Audio Dealer in Rockwell whose salesman said that all Polks sound the same "kase Polk yan e" heheheh

Thanks again Marc!

Polk is under rated but Ganda talaga ng lsi series. High end sound at an affordable price. :) I plan to,push the lsi series so people can have a better appreciation of the brand. :)

Can't wait for the LSI M to be introduced. :)

Offline jon2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2011 at 07:04 PM »
Sir Marc,

Thanks again Marc!
Sir congrats s new speaker mo, great chose. Polkaudio lsi series are great sounding speaker, very good in imaging and have deep soundstage.I have a pair of lsi7 powered by HK and the result is warm, sweet and a little laid back sound. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2011 at 07:07 PM by jon2 »

Offline ivo

• Collector
  • meat is murder
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2011 at 07:07 PM »
Sir Jon2,

Thanks, initially I thought it sounded good sa AV Shop hooked up to a HK home theater receiver, then soon as I got home I hooked them up to my ol' HK AVR 2550... kulang sa power but still sounded good with CDs. Finally after a week when I got my new stereo receiver noticed the sound was improved even further!

I love the bass response of the LSi9s! No need for a sub, besides wala din port for a subwoofer yung receiver ko. The A9755 is driving the LSi9s with 300w at 4ohms, didnt even reach half the volume range and I'm already very satisfied.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 03:45 AM »
I love the bass response of the LSi9s! No need for a sub, besides wala din port for a subwoofer yung receiver ko. The A9755 is driving the LSi9s with 300w at 4ohms, didnt even reach half the volume range and I'm already very satisfied.

Congrats sir. These speakers indeed sound great with most amps, but would sound their best with matching gear. :)

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 05:45 AM »
I heard the LSI 7 yesterday at AV Shop. It sounded great for HT considering it was "only" an Onkyo 608 powering it.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 07:43 AM »
I heard the LSI 7 yesterday at AV Shop. It sounded great for HT considering it was "only" an Onkyo 608 powering it.

They have the LSi7 na pala in the store. :)

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #54 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 07:54 AM »
They have the LSi7 na pala in the store. :)

Yup, though it didn't have the matching LSI center. Polk CSI A6 was doing the center channel duties.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline ivo

• Collector
  • meat is murder
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 05:23 PM »
Congrats sir. These speakers indeed sound great with most amps, but would sound their best with matching gear. :)

Thanks StageA, the LSi9s put an end to my long hard search for a pair of speakers than can satisfy my ears :D IMHO, the LSi9s paired very well with my amp.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 03:00 PM »
I was able to hear the Polk LSi7 today matched with the Onkyo C-S5VL SACD Player and A-5VL Integrated Amp. They surprisingly work very well together. :) I was able to compare it to the pricier B&W CM5 as well, partnered with the same gear.

The LSi speakers sounded best on-axis (fully toed-in and facing the listener), and this is probably because ring radiators are known to roll-off quite a bit off-axis. The CM5s on the other hand sounded a bit shrill-on axis, and preferred being pointed straight forward.

The Onkyos sounded brighter and snappier when connected digitally (we were playing plain-old Redbook CDs), and matched the LSi7s better in this configuration (improving PRAT). The CM5s were a bit too forward and fatiguing with this setup, and sounded much better with an analogue connection (more relaxed sound, and with more weight on vocals). The SACD Player and the matching Integrated Amp have different DACs and supporting circuitry, which may be the reason for this variance.

With the ideal setting for both speakers (toed-in and connected in digital for the LSi, and aimed straight-forward and connected in analogue for the CM), both were spectacular speakers for their respective price points. I'd be very happy with either. :)

I was most surprised with the Class-D amp, though. Had I not known that I was listening to a PWM amp, it would've been quite indistinguishable from a typical Class-AB amp. The output was clean, and the amp didn't show any sign of stress while driving these speakers. :) Green technology has come a long way.  It's like a guilt-free way to enjoy music. ;)

Thanks Marc and James! :)
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2011 at 03:16 PM by Stagea »

Offline jon2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 07:43 PM »
I was able to hear the Polk LSi7 today matched with the Onkyo C-S5VL SACD Player and A-5VL Integrated Amp. They surprisingly work very well together. :) I was able to compare it to the pricier B&W CM5 as well, partnered with the same gear.

The LSi speakers sounded best on-axis (fully toed-in and facing the listener), and this is probably because ring radiators are known to roll-off quite a bit off-axis. The CM5s on the other hand sounded a bit shrill-on axis, and preferred being pointed straight forward.

The Onkyos sounded brighter and snappier when connected digitally (we were playing plain-old Redbook CDs), and matched the LSi7s better in this configuration (improving PRAT). The CM5s were a bit too forward and fatiguing with this setup, and sounded much better with an analogue connection (more relaxed sound, and with more weight on vocals). The SACD Player and the matching Integrated Amp have different DACs and supporting circuitry, which may be the reason for this variance.

With the ideal setting for both speakers (toed-in and connected in digital for the LSi, and aimed straight-forward and connected in analogue for the CM), both were spectacular speakers for their respective price points. I'd be very happy with either. :)

I was most surprised with the Class-D amp, though. Had I not known that I was listening to a PWM amp, it would've been quite indistinguishable from a typical Class-AB amp. The output was clean, and the amp didn't show any sign of stress while driving these speakers. :) Green technology has come a long way.  It's like a guilt-free way to enjoy music. ;)

Thanks Marc and James! :)
Great review master stagea, they say that lsi's are very good in sacd format, do you test it at sir marc avshop?

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 07:50 PM »
STAGEA - Which class-d amp was that? happen to have a link to more info?

Offline jon2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 07:56 PM »
Thanks StageA, the LSi9s put an end to my long hard search for a pair of speakers than can satisfy my ears :D IMHO, the LSi9s paired very well with my amp.
Lsi9s is my first choice,bec of its extended bass but i was out of budget so i settled only to Lsi7. Now i don't have regrets on this speaker, good for small or medium room.Now,i mount my lsi7 and all i can say is the bass is more deep and strong.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2011 at 08:27 PM by jon2 »