Author Topic: Most Recently Viewed DVD (Part 12) AND... What did you think of it?  (Read 285196 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Continuing the topic from Part 11, since I think we should start 1/1/11 with a new thread, to shake things up a bit.

Like I said before, it might be nice if you'd post a review or a few words about the DVD you just viewed. It would make the topic a bit more fun to read through. I mean, what's the fun of just posting a title? I'm sure many of us would like to know if you at least liked the DVD you just watched or not.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011 at 01:42 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 215
Re: Most Recently Viewed DVD? (Part 12)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 11:58 PM »
I just finished our annual The Lord of The Rings The Fellowship of the Ring/Two Towers/The Return of the King extended editions marathon.

We've been doing this since a year after the last installment of the trilogy. That's because all the LOTR movies always came out during the Christmas Holiday season. It's hard to let go :'(

Frodo Lives!!!

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 06:21 PM »
DOA (Dead or Alive) - the babes (particularly Holly Vallance) + Corey Yeun style martial arts makes this silly movie OK to while the time away na rin

Hancock (Unrated) - just felt like watching it for the 2nd time on DVD

Freddy Vs. Jason - only seen this movie once in cinemas and I got the urge to watch it on DVD after watching the Elm Street 4-hour documentary, Never Sleep Again. The ending still leave me confused as to who really won but I still enjoyed this movie. Much, much better naman compared to the AVP series.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 07:43 PM »
Freddy Vs. Jason - only seen this movie once in cinemas and I got the urge to watch it on DVD after watching the Elm Street 4-hour documentary, Never Sleep Again.

I love that documentary. Probably the best of the three that they've done for this genre, the other two being Halloween: 25 Years of Terror and His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th. Kind of bummed Johnny Depp didn't participate, though. He seems to be the type who'd be willing to take a look back and laugh at his humble beginnings. Probably a scheduling issue.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 08:40 PM »
home alone 2: lost in new york

saw ads of this and the first one being shown on tv (was it jack?), and because it was christmas anyway, decided to give it a spin as it's been quite some time since we last watched it. loved it when i first saw it, not so much now because its nothing more than a rehash of the original with basically the same gags which are pretty violent for a movie whose supposedly main target audience were kids.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011 at 08:47 PM by d4nu65+3R »

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 10:48 PM »
Aross the Universe.

at my girlfriend's wishes i reluctantly played it. i thoroughly enjoyed it though. good show chaps!

Offline aszamora

• DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 06:43 AM »
I love that documentary. Probably the best of the three that they've done for this genre, the other two being Halloween: 25 Years of Terror and His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th. Kind of bummed Johnny Depp didn't participate, though. He seems to be the type who'd be willing to take a look back and laugh at his humble beginnings. Probably a scheduling issue.

Agree with you completely sir Hankey. I'm not really a documentary guy and I had 2nd thoughts buying Never Sleep Again but after watching this, Wow! I wouldn't mind watching it again. I have to admit that I'm a Freddy fan ( I have yet to start collecting Jason's movies) so that helped a lot too. I was also wishing Johhny and Patricia Arquette (she's the crush of most of the males in Dream Warriors pala) but still, a very engaging documentary. Didn't get bored.

back to topic:

Die Hard - just wanted to watch something set in the Yuletide season. Still enjoyed watching it ater repeated viewings. Remains my favorite in the series

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 09:12 PM »
Oliver & Company - 1988 Disney Animated Movie that preceded The Little Mermaid.
It's been more than 10 years since I last viewed this movie on VHS.

PQ is good. a great leap over the VHS version but it looks rough compared to other Disney movies and there is a fair amount of grain present.

Very Charming and funny characters. Kids will definitely love it.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2011 at 09:14 PM by juancho »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 04:32 AM »
Home Alone 3

-vowed to myself not to view it this holiday season coz I wanted to end my viewing with just Part 2 with Macaulay but then after returning Home Alone 2 on my rack the urge was unbearable seeing Part 3 sitting just beside. I realized that this is as enjoyable as the 1st 2 sans Macaulay.  Alex Linz as Alex starred in this installment.  He is cute and was a perfect replacement.  Just don't criticize and wonder how an 8 year old can booby trap his house and with some top international criminals fall on his pranks.  The presence of Scarlet Johannsen was a plus!

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 08:59 AM »
Unthinkable

-this movie will just make you cringe at the brutality of terrorist interrogator/torture expert H (Samuel Jackson).  Carrie Anne Moss as FBI agent Helen Brody looked old but still gave an exemplary performance. Michael Sheen is not familiar but delivered well. The suspense builds up as the story continues until it came to a point in choosing between being humane for the terrorist or sacrificing the lives of millions. This is one gripping movie that will keep you glued to the screen.  Love it and will definitely watch it again.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011 at 06:44 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 10:09 AM »
The Book Of Eli

PQ and AQ is good. The downside is the story of the movie itself. Too much talk and a lot of landscape shots that dragged the movie.  It took me 4 tries before I was able to complete the movie without falling asleep.
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 09:05 PM »
I'm not really a documentary guy and I had 2nd thoughts buying Never Sleep Again but after watching this, Wow! I wouldn't mind watching it again... Didn't get bored.

Yup, I've actually watched it twice myself. Very in-depth. More substance than the other two I mentioned. Oddly though, as much as I liked "Never Sleep Again," I can never bring myself to finish most of Disc 2, the deleted scenes or interviews that didn't make the main feature. I just find the additional information in the deleted interviews boring. Great editing for the main film - they knew which scenes not to include.

Home Alone 3

...I realized that this is as enjoyable as the 1st 2 sans Macaulay.

I've never seen Part 3, since after I heard the of the original concept they rejected (where Macaulay was the bad guy who this time gets booby trapped), I thought rewriting it for a new kid with the same old story line would be like beating a dead horse. Must give this a try.

=====

Wings: The Complete Fifth Season

This sitcom set in the same universe as Cheers and Frasier was very neglected in the 1990s, but I find it just as funny as its two sister shows. Nice to see Thomas Haden Church before his turns in Sideways and Spider-Man 3. This season was definitely superior to that latter title, although that isn't saying much. Oddly, this is also the season when Farrah Forke left the show abruptly during the last 3 episodes... allegedly since her breast implants leaked and she was having numerous problems/procedures to try to correct the problem.

How's that for trivia?  ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 03:43 AM »
've never seen Part 3, since after I heard the of the original concept they rejected (where Macaulay was the bad guy who this time gets booby trapped), I thought rewriting it for a new kid with the same old story line would be like beating a dead horse. Must give this a try.

HA3 is still worth your time. HA4 is the bomb!

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1216
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 07:45 AM »
The Rebound - unfunny rom-com.

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 10:10 AM »
The Longest yard

Offline timtim15

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 10:18 AM »
Pearl Harbor Had the urge to watch some war movies. Hard to comment, not the best but not bad at all. The movie could be shortened though by not focusing too much on the love triangle. Well, this movie is intended to rake $$$ anyway.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011 at 11:46 AM by timtim15 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 11:19 AM »
Saw Sorcerer's Apprentice with my son over the Holidays. If this movie actually earned money then it just proves that a majority of movie audiences have stopped thinking. I don't understand how Balthazar gets to have a New York accent when he lived during the time of Merlin. At least Alfred Molina tried his best to sound believable as an ancient sorcerer. Cage has been phoning in his performances and it's most apparent in this sad movie. The movie, as a whole, is derivative and unimaginative, peppered with forgettable characters. Only Molina showed some spark in this movie and it's not enough to resuscitate this DOA of a movie.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011 at 12:47 PM by indie boi »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 01:53 PM »
Saw Sorcerer's Apprentice with my son over the Holidays... DOA of a movie.

I categorically refuse to watch this film, since any movie by Disney called The Sorcerer's Apprentice that doesn't involve Mickey Mouse in a robe and thousands brooms with buckets is just wrong.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011 at 01:59 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 03:07 PM »
Right now, I'm seriously considering turning my son on to Miyazaki's films. I feel like I'm doing him a great disservice for allowing him to watch movies like Sorcerer's Apprentice or The Last Airbender.

If he can read through all five Percy Jackson books in less than a month and devour Harry Potter books 1 through 4 at just age 6, I think it's safe to assume he'll appreciate Miyazaki.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1216
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 03:36 PM »
Saw Sorcerer's Apprentice with my son over the Holidays. If this movie actually earned money then it just proves that a majority of movie audiences have stopped thinking.

I believe this was a box office disappointment for Disney. It very much flopped in the domestic US box office, but managed to make back a bit in overseas markets.

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2570
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 06:32 AM »
god of cookery - must have watched this more than 30 times already, never fails to make me laugh  ;D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 07:13 AM »
god of cookery - must have watched this more than 30 times already, never fails to make me laugh  ;D

One of Stephen Chow's early movies! Classic!

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2570
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 08:24 AM »
One of Stephen Chow's early movies! Classic!

same with hail to the king and king of beggars ;D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline pao625™

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2011 at 08:45 PM »
Definitely, Maybe

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2011 at 10:19 AM »
Taken

Cliffhanger

not really happy with the PQ of viva releases. Cliffhanger is an older film and yet it has superior PQ over Taken.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2011 at 11:08 AM »
Taken

Cliffhanger

not really happy with the PQ of viva releases. Cliffhanger is an older film and yet it has superior PQ over Taken.

Yup. Safe rule of thumb is: If it's from VIVA and it's not a Disney-Fox-Universal studio release, then DO NOT BUY IT.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011 at 11:09 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2011 at 09:04 PM »
Yup. Safe rule of thumb is: If it's from VIVA and it's not a Disney-Fox-Universal studio release, then DO NOT BUY IT.

haha. good thing di ako bumili at pinahiram lang sakin ;D

Offline pao625™

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2011 at 10:09 PM »
meet the parents
meet the fockers

Offline aszamora

• DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2011 at 07:07 AM »
Die Hard 2 - liked it a little better than DH 3 although it looked like a rehash of the 1st one. Christmas din setting. Next to DH 1, Live Free or Die Hard is my favorite (Maggie Q's kickass bad girl role helped). I find Dennis Franz's DH 2 role irritating, but I like him in NYPD Blue.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM »
Just saw RED last night. As far as Willis movies go, this is quite entertaining. Robert Schwentke's direction is quite passable, there were moments when I thought the shots were quite fresh. I still prefer his work in Flightplan though, it's more restrained and managed to create tension within very limited environment.

Great work by Mirren and Cox as usual. And someone should really give Richard Dreyfuss more roles.