Author Topic: Most Recently Viewed DVD (Part 12) AND... What did you think of it?  (Read 285561 times)

Offline Slaveknight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Most Recently Viewed DVD (Part 12) AND... What did you think of it?
« Reply #1200 on: Mar 06, 2012 at 03:54 PM »
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
(2011)

3.5 out of 5

As we we all know the 2009 version of the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is much more silent but powerful which gives its first success for the Millennium trilogy. On the other hand, Fincher's version is more likely into the detail with deep artistic cinematography and fast paced storytelling thinking you will not appreciate it on some different scenarios. Still the Swedish version has still the heart to own.

Please Vote me as a Super Reviewer at Rottentomatoes at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/id/918195855/
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2012 at 01:55 AM by Slaveknight »
Please vote me as a Super Reviewer click here at
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/id/918195855/

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #1201 on: Mar 07, 2012 at 06:59 AM »
Hi!
Have you seen the Hollywood version of part 1?  Would really appreciate comments/comparisons by those who have read the novel. Cheers!

I have seen the Hollywood version and somehow the original Swedish version was more true to the novel.

Swedish and novel version - Harriett's cousin in London "led" them to Australia where Harriett was managing a ranch business there.
Hollywood version - Harriett and the cousin in London was one and the same.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #1202 on: Mar 07, 2012 at 07:02 AM »
Edge of Darkness -
toy

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1203 on: Mar 07, 2012 at 07:07 AM »
BTW, I learned recently that Scarlett Johansson had a very good audition for the role of Lisbeth Salander.

HOLY Fxxx! if she had been casted as Lisbeth

But I fully understood the director's reason for not choosing Scarlett - the male audience would always be waiting for her to remove her clothes, instead of appreciating and concentrating on the movie itself...Pramis I would do my best to accomplish both if the director changes his mind on the 2nd and 3rd parts of Dragon Tattoo Girl...hehehe

I do not think that Scarlett Johansson would fit the role of Lisbeth.  For one, Lisbeth wasn't attractive as described in the novel.  It's just right that they casted a non-mainstream actress for the role. Better to keep you concentrated on the movie.  ;D  
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2012 at 04:43 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1204 on: Mar 07, 2012 at 07:47 AM »
Warrior (2011)

4.5 out of 5 - definitely a watch!

Warrior is one of the best or if not, the most compelling sports drama you will ever see in years. Not just the MMA itself but it will eat your hearts out by its tremendous plot and those brilliant performances. Definitely a memorable killer.

Please Vote me as a Super Reviewer at Rottentomatoes at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/id/918195855/

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1205 on: Mar 07, 2012 at 07:48 AM »
Colombiana (2011)

2.5 out of 5

Colombiana is more likely a rip off of some low budget spy films in the 90's with a very bad screenplay. The only thing that will wake you up throughout are the action scenes and nothing more.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #1206 on: Mar 08, 2012 at 06:43 AM »
hancock
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #1207 on: Mar 09, 2012 at 12:14 AM »
The Recruit

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1208 on: Mar 09, 2012 at 05:59 AM »
In Time (2011) -imagine a world where the currency to buy and sell goods and services is time.  Every person born is genetically programmed to live until 25 then the goal is to prevent ones time to expire.  One can work to add  time and when you buy something and deducts time from your clock. Justine Timberlake plays Will Salas a struggling blue collar worker trying to make both ends meet.  He gets to save a rich man's life (rich meaning having hundreds of years in life) and in turn gives him all of his time credits.  A rags to riches story ensued and Will gets to go to the posh city of the rich.  Then the story becomes Robin Hood-ish where Will steals "time" from the rich and gives it to the poor. 

The concept is interesting at the start but couldn't maintain the interest to the end.  I commend Justine Timberlake though for his solid acting but the mediocre acting of Amanda Seyfried maybe dragged the story and the ratings a notch down. 

"But the day comes when you've had enough. Your mind can be spent, even if your body's not. We want to die. We need to. "

The movie has achieved its purpose which is to entertain specially for HT buffs with all the surround sound and LFEs.   I would recommend it solely for this purpose.  :D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1209 on: Mar 09, 2012 at 06:21 AM »
The Double (2011) - an uncaught Russian assassin codenamed "Cassius" resurfaced and killed a US senator started a manhunt.   Richard Gere starred as Paul a retired CIA agent and Topher Grace as Geary a young agent who has made a thesis on Cassius.  Both become partners to track down the assassin.  IMHO, Richard Gere with all of his savvy-ness isn't the best pick for the lead role. He always looked exasperated in the chase scenes. Topher Grace acted amateurish as a CIA agent and could have stayed with movies like Take Me Home Tonight.  Going beyond the acting and casting, the storyline was good. The movie had a lot of twists and will keep you guessing till the end.  A highly recommended espionage-thriller!

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1210 on: Mar 09, 2012 at 06:32 AM »
Puss in Boots (2011) - movie showed the  origin of Puss in Shrek and how he teamed up with Humpty Dumpty, Kitty Softpaws to steal the magic beans from Jack and Jill, to grow the beanstalk and to get the goose that lays the golden eggs. Like Shrek, Puss in Boots presented its own twisted versions of fairy tales which came out absurd but funny.  The movie was fast paced and never bored my kids!  Two thumbs up!

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1211 on: Mar 09, 2012 at 08:53 AM »
Kill the Irishman (2011)

5 out of 5

The infamous Danny Greene tale is back in life. The film itself is inspiring and intriguing, thinking in the late 70's with all those killing accounts by these mafia wars and hire to kill a one bad ass Irish man. Charismatic Stevenson makes this his best film yet. A very recommended mob theme to watch and love.

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2012 at 09:07 AM by Slaveknight »

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1212 on: Mar 09, 2012 at 09:07 AM »
The Boondock Saints (2000)

2 out of 5 - A drunk Killer

This is like one of those late night Cinemax films with poor cinematography execution. It is so overrated, laughable screenplay with lots of going on here in there which is just not right. If your drunk and wanna watch something along with your drunk friends, this is very recommended.

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1213 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 03:24 PM »
Warrior

Offline daystar

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1214 on: Mar 10, 2012 at 03:38 PM »
That '70s Show TV Series
inuulit ko to ngayon. my favorite among my DVD collections:

i think it's the best TV series ever!

Offline zeemoh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1215 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 06:08 PM »
FAILURE TO LAUNCH

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1216 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 05:48 AM »
Enteng ng Ina Mo (2011) - combining the 2 blockbuster stars of the Film Festival namely Vic Sotto and Ai Ai delas Alas didn't make the movie any better.  The 1st hour was split in the 2 separate stories of Enteng Kabisote (Sotto) and Ina Montecillo (delas Alas).  It was then fused into one story when the 2 crossed ways.  Enteng was under a spell to fall in love with the 1st girl that he sees...INA.   They both go to Encantacia to battle the evil forces that has captured Ina Magenta (the queen) and the successor to the throne Faye (wife of Enteng).

The jokes were already recycled and nothing new.  What I can commend though is the natural comedic acting of the two but the cliche jokes just can't bring up the whole movie a notch.   Eugene Domingo had a supporting role here but wasn't given the chance to bring out her best. It is still a kids movie that can entertain nevertheless.       

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1217 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 06:01 AM »
Tower Heist (2011) - Josh Kovacs (Ben Stiller) is an administrator of a condo high rise in Manhattan.  Arthur Shaw played by Alan Alda is a financier who lives in the penthouse of the said building who later was arrested by the FBI for embezzlement of funds including the pensions of the building's employees.  With his connections, it seems that Mr. Shaw would get away with it and Josh starts to build a team composed of a small time criminal (Eddie Murphy), employees and a tenant who can't pay his rent (Matthew Broderick) to get back the money stolen.  Stiller wasn't one push over in this movie.  Eddie Murphy is funny as ever.  Definitely a must watch edge of the seat movie which will make you laugh along the way.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2012 at 06:02 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #1218 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 06:06 AM »
Submarine

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1219 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM »
Michael Buble - Caught in the Act
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1220 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 01:10 PM »
hurt locker

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1221 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 02:33 PM »
Flags of Our Fathers (2006)

3.5 out of 5

It has a breathtaking cinematography which you can see in the lines of Saving Private Ryan and other World War II epics. Bad storytelling and bad casting much? Maybe that's where the problem starts. Eastwood should have been focused on the battle field itself than its aftermath. Should have been much more better.

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1222 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 02:34 PM »
The Descendants (2011)

4 out of 5

Payne's Sideways was a big hit and was very memorable.Now he brings another one in the table with Clooney involved in it and it was genuinely tremendous. Payne's The Descendants has a messy first half but not to expect there's a bit of a family tandem in the middle of the plot which brings so much fun and ends in a dramatic fashion. Not to mention Hawaii's beautiful places. This is a very family recommended film to watch and love.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1223 on: Mar 13, 2012 at 05:47 AM »
Greenberg

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1224 on: Mar 13, 2012 at 09:05 AM »
Superheroes (2011) - a documentary about real life superheroes, not those with superpowers but just ordinary men and women who found their purpose in fighting evil.  Amusing to see them in their own costumes patrolling the streets looking for crime.  I just find Mr. Xtreme of Xtreme Justice League hysterical.  It was looney enough for him to be in a masquerade costume patrolling the streets what's worse he was giving some fliers for people to join him.   ;D There was an interview with Stan Lee and a psychologist who gave us light on why certain people find satisfaction in doing the crime fighter role in society. It is indeed an interesting watch and could be life changing.  :D

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1225 on: Mar 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM »
King Kong (2005)

5 out of 5 - A must see epic

Peter Jackson's King Kong might not be that memorable but everyone knows how epic the film was. It is excitingly fun and extremely well made. Naomi Watts' eyes towards the CGI King Kong is just breathtaking and just pure love. There are some CGI flaws which gives over the top sequences but nonetheless it was beautifully stunning. Superb cinematography that Jackson made this long, dramatic and epic. Thinking this was one of the best Adventure epics that we will be seeing in such a long long time.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1226 on: Mar 13, 2012 at 04:12 PM »
Jon Bon Jovi Live in Madison Square Garden
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1227 on: Mar 14, 2012 at 04:54 AM »
Abduction (2011) - A story about a teenager unearthing a secret past and learning that the folks he thought were his parents were actually undercover spies protecting him.  After his foster parents were killed by European assassins, he begins his quest to look for his true identity and his true parents.  Along the way the CIA and a European terrorist goes after him putting him in a dilemma who to trust.  This movie is a wild goose chase with a lot of twists and turns. I was entertained but had also some questions in mind. Does he need to bring a girlfriend along? I was just wondering how the black kid friend keeps on popping up everytime they need him.  ???  Taylor Lautner can prove that he can be a promising young action star aside from being just typecasted as Jacob in the Twilight series. Michael Nyqvist who starred as Kozlow (the European bad guy) is a familiar face after watching the Swedish Millenium series.  I loved the movie for its entertainment value.  If you hate it, you're too old.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012 at 06:41 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1228 on: Mar 14, 2012 at 05:32 AM »
Atonement

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1229 on: Mar 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM »
Abduction (2011) - A story about a teenager unearthing a secret past and learning that the folks he thought were his parents were actually undercover spies protecting him.  After his foster parents were killed by European assassins, he begins his quest to look for his true identity and his true parents.  Along the way the CIA and a European terrorist goes after him putting him in a dilemma who to trust.  This movie is a wild goose chase with a lot of twists and turns. I was entertained but had also some questions in mind. Does he need to bring a girlfriend along? I was just wondering how the black kid friend keeps on popping up everytime they need him.  ???  Taylor Lautner can prove that he can be a promising young action star aside from being just typecasted as Jacob in the Twilight series. Michael Nyqvist who starred as Kozlow (the European bad guy) is a familiar face after watching the Swedish Millenium series.  I loved the movie for its entertainment value.  If you hate it, you're too old.  ;D

The film could have been better. Taylor Lautner's awful performance ruins the whole thing.