Author Topic: Favorite Sitcoms  (Read 11006 times)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Favorite Sitcoms?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2003 at 05:47 PM »
you're right, I can't remember who played "Nicole", but I do remember she eventually turned up as one of the kids on the Patrick Duffy-Suzanne Somers sitcom, Step By Step

According to the hubby, who was once soooo in love with Nicole, she is Staci Keanan.  

Oh,  and yeah...Small Wonder! Right!

Gurang, I like browsing thru Jumptheshark too! Funny stuff there, lots of it!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003 at 05:49 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2003 at 06:00 PM »
According to the hubby, who was once soooo in love with Nicole, she is Staci Keanan.  

Oh,  and yeah...Small Wonder! Right!

Gurang, I like browsing thru Jumptheshark too! Funny stuff there, lots of it!

So do I.  :) And I'm pleasantly amazed how the site has entered into the popular lexicon. At least two series, The Simpsons and That Seventies Show recently aired episodes wherein characters literally jumped over a shark.

Re: Viva Valdez, according to the invaluable Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows (by Brooks and Marsh), it was "a noisy gang comedy about a close-knit Mexican-American family living in East Los Angeles. Louis ran a plumbing business with his eldest son, Victor. Sophia was the Mama; Ernesto, an artistic lad in training with the telephone company; Connie, the irrepresible teenager; and Pepe, the 12 year old baseball fanatic."

Offline GL2814

• Collector
  • In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2003 at 07:19 PM »
Making a Living
Three's Company
Cosby Show
Not Necessarily the News
Newhart

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2003 at 08:04 PM »
The Cosby Show. growing up, this (along with Family Ties) was quite an influence on me. dr. heathcliff huxtable was one of the coolest dads (with the kookiest sweater sense) that ever graced the TV screen.

Cosby Show

Heads up!

I just saw that a reunion special, "The Cosby Show: A Look Back" will be on Studio 23's Barkada Nights on June 12.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003 at 08:05 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2003 at 09:50 PM »
Not Necessarily the News

I remember this one... It was really funny!  :)

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2003 at 04:51 AM »
mr. hankey, i think it's time to merge the seinfeld/cheers link with this one. we're talking about the same stuff all over again! ;D

also forgot to mention SOAP -- i loved catching the SOAP marathons way back when we still had illegal feeds of comedy central. sigh. those were the days.

Charles In Charge is also a favorite because i had the hots for scott baio and thought willy ames was god's gift to physical comedy. ;D "charles in charge of our days and our nights... "

i can't believe john laroquette won four emmys. and matt le blanc can't even win one?

a cosby reunion? to quote mr. burns: "Excellent." ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003 at 04:55 AM by sungit »

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2003 at 05:21 AM »
Taxi - DeVito, Lloyd, Danza & Kauffman...
      &                                      
Family Ties - Michael J Fox

Offline bedan_debater

• Apprentice
  • Deductive Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2003 at 10:26 PM »
MR. Belvedere was a favorite in our house

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2003 at 01:00 AM »
i'm a caroline in the city nut... i especially loooooove the first season.

also remember this show called "227"... that's where i discovered jackée harry!!!

as a kid i always watched "benson", "the cosby show", "family ties", "empty nest", "golden girls"... etc., etc.

right now... i revisit those old "two guys and a girl" episodes... call me corny... but i like those guys.

hey anyone know where you can get info on working girl??? i wanna revisit that show... just to see how much sandy has grown as an actress. ;D

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2003 at 02:29 AM »
MST3K, IMO, deserves its own thread. That show is the closest equivalent to jazz on television. "I must shoot Donald Regan to prove my love for Lisa Foster."

Hehehe :). I see you've met Ator and his pecs like melons, gurang :). MST3K is definitely one of the more original series out there. God bless Comedy Central. Any other fans of the show?

My current favorite is Everybody Loves Raymond. The formula stands out like a sore thumb, but I just love the cast.

Anyone remember Sledge Hammer! It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remember it had a kind of Police Squad humor to it.

Action is a biting short-lived satire on Hollywood starring Jay Mohr. They'd show it sometimes on HBO.

Other sitcoms that come to mind:

Head of the Class
Webster
The Famous Teddy Z
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003 at 02:33 AM by MultipleAngles »

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2003 at 02:35 AM »
Also want to add Good Times & Sanford & Son  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2003 at 10:53 AM »
Also want to add Good Times & Sanford & Son  

Those are sitcoms, but they're actually your favorites???

Yo, brutha!  ;D

Offline bedan_debater

• Apprentice
  • Deductive Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:16 PM »
It pains me to admit that I have never heard a most of the shows you guys have been posting. sigh. I guess the average age of pinoyDVD is really ten years my senior. smirk.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:58 PM »
Hehehe :). I see you've met Ator and his pecs like melons, gurang :). MST3K is definitely one of the more original series out there. God bless Comedy Central. Any other fans of the show?

My current favorite is Everybody Loves Raymond. The formula stands out like a sore thumb, but I just love the cast.

Anyone remember Sledge Hammer! It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remember it had a kind of Police Squad humor to it.

Action is a biting short-lived satire on Hollywood starring Jay Mohr. They'd show it sometimes on HBO.

Other sitcoms that come to mind:

Head of the Class
Webster
The Famous Teddy Z

Oh yes, Ator's pecs.  ;D Thanks a mil, Multiple Angles!

Sledgehammer was a family guilty pleasure, except for my mother. We started watching it because it was the show that used to come before Mcgyver, and I eventually came to prefer it to Mcgyver. My dad and sister also loved the show, and the three of us would just laugh ourselves silly, to the consternation of my mom, who just didn't get it.

I also remember liking Teddy Z, short-lived though it was. Alex Rocco was great, and I think he won an Emmy for that show. I best remember him though as the voice of Roger Myers in The Simpsons

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2003 at 01:36 PM »
hey! i heard somewhere that HBO asia actually aired the 13th episode of "Action!"... which never aired in the US.

i know someone who likes this series as well, i like it as well but not as much... pero galing talaga! daming cameos!

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2003 at 10:32 PM »
Those are sitcoms, but they're actually your favorites???

Yo, brutha!  ;D

Yes they are....
Good Times "Dy-O-mite!"  &  Sanford & Son "I'm coming to see you Elizabeth!"   ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003 at 10:32 PM by TOTI »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2003 at 12:33 AM »
Is that the one where he had another catchphrase... "Looooking Gooood!" Or am I mixing my Hispanic sitcoms up?  ::)

You're actually mixing your ethnic groups up,Mr.Hankey!  ;D   "Loooking good!" was the catchphrase of that other show I mentioned, That's My Mama. Ted Lange, who plays this character called Junior, said that. Pity he went on to become boring old Isaac the bartender from Love Boat. (I actually forgot about that catchphrase. Thanks for reminding me. ;D )
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003 at 10:24 AM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2003 at 12:37 AM »
MST3K, IMO, deserves its own thread. That show is the closest equivalent to jazz on television. "I must shoot Donald Regan to prove my love for Lisa Foster."

Did MST3K ever feature Eegah! with Richard "Jaws" Kiel, gurang? I absolutely love that stupid little movie. If not for Trog, it'd be the Citizen Kane of caveman movies.  ;D

The one thing I didn't like about MST3K was that they featured the great Mario Bava's Danger: Diabolik. That was/is a terrific movie, I thought. Even the score (by Ennio Morricone)  was fantastic. Have it on VHS and I will defend that movie to my dying breath.  ;D  

Really.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2003 at 01:38 AM »
Did MST3K ever feature Eegah! with Richard "Jaws" Kiel, gurang? I absolutely love that stupid little movie. If not for Trog, it'd be the Citizen Kane of caveman movies.  ;D

The one thing I didn't like about MST3K was that they featured the great Mario Bava's Danger: Diabolik. That was/is a terrific movie, I thought. Even the score (by Ennio Morricone)  was fantastic. Have it on VHS and I will defend that movie to my dying breath.  ;D  

Really.

Eegah was rendered by the MST3K group.Haven't seen it in either version (nor Diabolik), but I plan to see it one of these days.

Re: MST3K and "good movies" - my initial perception of MST3K was that it was a perfect way to get back at bad movies. My perception has somewhat changed. MST3K still works best when they are making fun of those bad movies. However, some of the humor of the show is derived as well by focusing on a single element visible onscreen, and developing a comic riff on it. What distinguishes MST3K from any jerks of the street wisecracking over a movie is that their wisecracks emanate from a wide variety of sources, both literate and lowbrow. MST3K is as rich in allusion as The Simpsons, though sometimes their references are more obscure.

And since a lot of these jokes are taken from individual elements, such elements from which the jokes are derived can appear in good movies as well as bad. Take for example the line I quoted earlier, "I must shoot Donald Regan to prove my love for Lisa Foster." That line resulted from the appearance on the credit sequence of the name "Lisa Foster". One gets the joke only if he/she remembers that John Hinckley shot President Ronald Reagan to prove his love for Jodie Foster. (and icing on the cake if one also remembers who Donald Regan was) Since the name "Lisa Foster" can appear as well in the credit sequence of a good movie, the comic value of the line would be the same whether or not the movie is bad or good.

The MST3K movie (which was my first encounter with the group) featured This Island Earth, which is actually acknowledged as one of the better, if not one of the best sci-fi flicks of the 50s, even as acknowledged by the group. However, there were enough elements in that old movie that were sufficient for MST3K to do their thing, and do a funny film as a result.

MST3K is not for all tastes. But for those that do, it is a rich meal. Incidentally, it was, along with Futurama, Al Gore's favorite TV show. Al Gore's favorite movie was Being John Malkovich. God I wish he were US president instead of Dubya.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2003 at 03:20 AM »
Seldge Hammer was funny, from what i remember... a cross between dragnet and police files and hunter (because seldge had a huge ass gun). how long did this show run?

The Amazing Teddy Z's the one with jon cryer right?

on the local front, i remember loving Sic O'Clock News, the one-two punch of [/b]TODAS[/b] and Iskul Bukol and Ang Manok ni San Pedro. and, much as i ahte to amit this, i was also an avid follower of Palibhasa Lalaki. ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2003 at 01:07 AM »
on the local front, i remember loving... TODAS

Ahh... Frieda Fonda and "Body Language".

Whatever happened to her?

Umm... no comment on your other choices...  ;D

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2003 at 01:19 AM »

Whatever happened to her?

Ah yes, whatever happened to Frieda, Jane and Peter's long lost sister. Me and my friends used to speculate about that. Even had an idea on doing a short film documentary entitled "In Search of Frieda Fonda". The kicker was the possibility that she ended up as some itinerant bus preacher, and if we ever did that movie and found her, we'd have to end it with Frieda giving a five minute talk about the joys of having found god and religion in her life.  ;D

But seriously, whatever happened to her? Even Google is silent.

Slightly OT, but I also found Spanky Rigor(?) to be exceedingly funny. There's this film guested in by the TODAS gang wherein Spanky played an unctious Spelling Bee host. His diction and rhythm were so on-key it was the most hilarious thing in that movie. Does anybody remember what movie that was?

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2003 at 01:24 AM »

This one kinda ring a bell... I just couldn't picture it.  ???

Offline ann07

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello to my fellow dvd-addict :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2003 at 01:25 AM »
Then:

The Cosby Show
Perfect Strangers
Party of Five
Beverly Hills 90210
Melrose Place
Sister, Sister
Fresh Prince of Belaire

NOw:

Friends
George Lopez show
My Wife & Kids

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2003 at 01:28 AM »
Party of Five
Beverly Hills 90210
Melrose Place

Now now... don't be mean... those were indeed FUNNY, but they're not sitcoms.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 10:26 PM »
This is not in anyway a favorite of mine, but I had no idea where else to put this announcement, and I didn't think it deserved its own thread:

For fans of Mad About You, The Hallmark Channel starts running the show in syndication in the Philippines this July, Mondays-Thursdays, 8:30PM, with a midnight rerun.

Hear Paul Reiser whine and Helen Hunt play "the straight guy" from the very beginning starting on July 1st!  ;D

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jun 30, 2003 at 05:39 AM »
Anything new on Coupling - USA?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 30, 2003 at 06:11 PM »
Anything new on Coupling - USA?

Coupling (USA) is scheduled to debut in a very prime spot on NBC's Must-See TV Thursday line-up this fall, Thursdays at 9:30PM, sandwiched between Will & Grace and ER. It's the same slot that F*R*I*E*N*D*S had in its first season, which was used to build up a fan base so it could move to the all-important 8:00PM lead slot on the network's Thursday line up.

Here's the final cast:

Left to right, that'll be Jane, Steve, Susan, Patrick, Sally and Jeff.

I prefer the UK cast, but I'm biased  ;) :

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2003 at 06:23 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jun 30, 2003 at 06:15 PM »
Jane is Asian in the US cast? And Jeff looks older than the British Jeff.  And is Susan - USA the one who played the wife in HBO's Mind of the Married Man?
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2003 at 06:16 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 30, 2003 at 06:37 PM »
Jane is Asian in the US cast?

Yup, she's half Korean.

And Jeff looks older than the British Jeff.

He's a last-minute replacement for Road Trip's Breckin Meyer.

And is Susan - USA the one who played the wife in HBO's Mind of the Married Man?

Sally was in Mind of the Married Man. Susan's from Melrose Place and Oh, Grow Up!