Author Topic: Trumotion / motionflow technology, do we need it?  (Read 26650 times)

Offline wafull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trumotion / motionflow technology, do we need it?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 01:30 PM »
hmmm im just curious what's the most affordable tv that has truemotion?

i think for leds its gotta be the le5500 (even if its turned off permanently during games)

and i think the avision one also but it was discontinued

so what's the cheapest tv that has the complete truemotion

Offline Darth Fader

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 08:32 AM »
naalala ko din yan dati...eto yung combo dati: pixel plus tv + dvd player with progressive scan ON = movies looked like they were shot using a camcorder

oo yun nga!  :D

agree on this.  a bit OT, but what if we put PIP in the equation - what's the best choice? 

how come LG took out PIP from their feature list?

ay yan ang di ko na alam.. hehe..

hmmm im just curious what's the most affordable tv that has truemotion?

i think for leds its gotta be the le5500 (even if its turned off permanently during games)

and i think the avision one also but it was discontinued

so what's the cheapest tv that has the complete truemotion

Well, a bit cheaper yung 32LE5300.. yan na ang pinakamurang may trumotion.. naghanap rin ako ng cheapest possible kasi nga gusto ko lang magkaroon ng "kakaibang" viewing experience for movies.  kaso yan na talaga ang pinakamura.. AFAIK, manufacturers don't put the trumotion feature for lower models so that's gotta be it.  :)

medyo nagkaroon nga ako ng urgency na bumili ng 32LE5500 last year kasi nagkakaubusan ng stocks.. natakot ako na baka maubos at sa higher models na lang (42" and up) na lang may trumotion.. medyo mabigat na pag ganun. kaya ayun, napabili na.

Offline Darth Fader

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2011 at 02:17 PM »
I remember getting a head-ache after watching our tv for the 1st time with the motionflow on turned on. But I didn't experience further headaches afterwards, could it be my eyes have adjusted to the tv? I guess not turning the motionflow to its maximum setting works fine with our viewing.

Finally, nakapanood na ko ng nakakahilong palabas using trumotion!  I was wondering all the while bakit may nahihilo at sumasakit ang ulo.. it may be because of a poor copy of a certain movie.

Ever since I got my LG32LE5500 120Hz, I've been watching original DVDs.. no problems, very much satisfied.  di ako nahilo.  then recently I just thought of watching a pirated DVD.. ayun, sakit sa mata.. nakakahilo.

Offline Antagonizer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2011 at 07:03 PM »
sa mga iba nahihilo daw sila, pero ako kasi nung napagtabi ko yung may trumotion sa wala, ang laki talaga ng difference. tapos ayun nasanay na din yung mata ko.

para sakin personally dapat may trumotion talaga.

Offline Armz316

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2011 at 06:37 PM »
Star Wars HDTV on a 240Hz motionflow Sony HX is the coolest version of SW Ive ever watched.    It was quite a novelty but I dont know if I (or my eyes) would not tire of that kind of look.  But yeah, it looks quite nice.

just want to find out exactly what is the exact model of the Sony HX that you just mentioned when you watchrd Star Wars. Thank you very much.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2011 at 09:17 PM »
to those who own tv's with trumotion, in what scenarios is the trumotion beneficial? and when do we turn it off?

Don't use it for film-based sources.  Use it for video-based sources.

Movies should be presented with a cadence that is as close as possible to 24 frames per second.  There's a natural 24fps judder that makes film look like film.  That cadence will be messed up if motion interpolation is used.

But if you're watching a video-based source such as a National Geographic documentary (they're usually shot at a framerate of 60fps), the cadence change caused by motion interpolation will be minimal, and the advantage is that the image will become more stable and solid.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011 at 09:19 PM by barrister »

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 08, 2013 at 12:54 PM »
Yes, trumotion 120hz messes up movies that are film based.  My wife and I don't like it.  In the words of my wife, "bakit parang studio shots lang at making?"  We watched The Devil Wears Prada, Mr and Mrs Smith and Transformers and we just gave up.  Personally, I'd stick to the 60hz for movies.  I'd rather watch as close as how the director wants it.

However, the strength of the trumotion 120hz is in animation, games, and live cable shows especially sports.  It rocks!  Maganda sya sa cable programming.  We watched Finding Nemo and it was such an eye candy. Maganda rin sya HD programs like NBA Premium.  Swabeng swabe ang panood ko.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #37 on: Sep 21, 2013 at 05:42 PM »
based on your experience and preference, what is the best brand that implements this?

a listing of current implementations can be seen from this site - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

Names of motion enhancement technologies[edit source | editbeta]
The commercial name given to motion interpolation technology varies across manufacturers, as does its implementation.
Hitachi – Reel120[2]
Insignia – DCM Plus, for Digital Clear Motion 120 Hz, or Insignia Motion 120Hz
Kogan Technologies – MotionMax 100 Hz,[3] 200 Hz
LG – TruMotion 120 Hz, 240 Hz, 480 Hz
AOC – Motion Boost 120 Hz
Bose - VideoWave II 120 Hz (Not named)
Loewe – Digital Movie Mode (DMM)[4]
Mitsubishi – Smooth 120 Hz
Panasonic – Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC) 24p Smooth Film (24p material only)
Philips – HD Digital Natural Motion[5]
Samsung – Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz,[6] 240 Hz, Clear Motion Rate 100 Hz, 200 Hz, 400 Hz, 500 Hz, 600 Hz, 800 Hz (PAL video system), Clear Motion Rate 120 Hz, 240 Hz, 480 Hz, 600 Hz, 720 Hz, 960 Hz (NTSC video system)
Sharp – Fine Motion Enhanced,[7] AquoMotion 240 Hz,[8] AquoMotion Pro
Sony – MotionFlow 100 Hz, 100 Hz PRO (XBR series, Australia), 120 Hz, 200 Hz, 240 Hz, 400 Hz, 480 Hz, 800 Hz, 960 Hz.[9][10]
Toshiba – ClearScan 120 Hz, 240 Hz
Vizio – SmoothMotion [11]
Sceptre – MEMC (Motion Estimation/Motion Compensation)
PC video players[edit source | editbeta]
Many video players for computers, include motion interpolation.
WinDVD uses Philips' TrimensionDNM for frame interpolation.[12]
CrystalPlayer uses Motion Morphing MultiSampling for frame interpolation.[13]
PowerDVD uses TrueTheater Motion for interpolation of DVD and video files to up to 72 frame/s.[14]
Splash PRO uses Mirillis Motion² technology for up to Full HD video interpolation.[15]
SmoothVideo Project uses Avisynth script-based on MVTools 2.5[16] libraries for frame interpolation.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Re: Trumotion / motionflow technology, do we need it?
« Reply #38 on: Sep 21, 2013 at 06:53 PM »
We watched The Devil Wears Prada, Mr and Mrs Smith and Transformers and we just gave up.  Personally, I'd stick to the 60hz for movies.  I'd rather watch as close as how the director wants it.

Sir, i have no idea as to how the director films the movies so here goes my question, is that really the way the director wants it shown or the director simply had no choice?

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM »
Sir, i have no idea as to how the director films the movies so here goes my question, is that really the way the director wants it shown or the director simply had no choice?

Movie directors obviously want their movies done in a FILM LIKE MODE with a cadence of close to 24 frames per second and, as such, there will be judder.  I'd want to keep it this way and enjoy the beauty of the film as it is.
The problem with trumotion ( 120 hz, 240 hz ) is it messes this up.  True, it became judder-less ( coz I still see judder ) but the overall effect is yun na nga para akong nanunuod ng making at studio.  I really can't appreciate it sorry.

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #40 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM »
Yes, trumotion 120hz messes up movies that are film based.  My wife and I don't like it.  In the words of my wife, "bakit parang studio shots lang at making?"  We watched The Devil Wears Prada, Mr and Mrs Smith and Transformers and we just gave up.  Personally, I'd stick to the 60hz for movies.  I'd rather watch as close as how the director wants it.

However, the strength of the trumotion 120hz is in animation, games, and live cable shows especially sports.  It rocks!  Maganda sya sa cable programming.  We watched Finding Nemo and it was such an eye candy. Maganda rin sya HD programs like NBA Premium.  Swabeng swabe ang panood ko.

i agree with this.

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM »

i guess, I am one of the very few even within the minority, that likes this feature... ever since I saw the implementation of Philip's Pixel Plus< I've always made a point to a panel that has some implementation of this...

On the HTPC end, I like SplashPro's implementation...

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 05:36 PM »
This is why when watching 2D Movies, Plasma TVs are much better than LEDs because this is never a problem with Plasmas. Plasmas are 600hz and delivers film like effect without the problem of judder.

Offline acepogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 08:08 AM »
Hindi ba mas ok i enable nyo na lng ang 24p sa TV nyo lalo na kung dumaan sa AVR? Mas natural ang movement and walang dagdag na frames. Mine is a Panasonic VT30 Plasma, Nakaon dati ang film cadence and IFC, pero nakikita ng mata ung mga added na frames eh so turn off 60hz only under THX mode, ok xa, then kapag dumaan sa AVR, ienabled nyo na lng ang 24p. Di nyo na kailangan ang 120hz or beyond. Mas natural and smooth.

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #44 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 01:47 PM »
i guess, I am one of the very few even within the minority, that likes this feature... ever since I saw the implementation of Philip's Pixel Plus< I've always made a point to a panel that has some implementation of this...

On the HTPC end, I like SplashPro's implementation...

i join you in the minority preference. definitely not for the purists who like their 24fps movies. Para naman saken, I like movies to look "live" parang watching it all happen through a window.

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 03:36 PM »

that makes, just the two of us against, the rest of the world... good to have company though...  ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #46 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 03:50 PM »
I'd also go for the frame interpolation.  Actually, as I have been using it, it seems natural already and it makes it hard for me to adjust again when it is switched off.

I use Splash PRO's Motion2 feature.  I can adjust the level of frame interpolation.  Actually,  my setting is less than 50% (not too overpowering to distract me).  I have tried the feature on full for kicks and I got dizzy.

Also, I find the picture sharper with the feature on.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2013 at 03:51 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 04:07 PM »
So Doc, does it make our club, 2.5 or 3 members full now? :)

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2614
« Reply #48 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 04:17 PM »
possible bang ma experience ang trumotion sa tv na 60hz?
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 04:42 PM »

motion interpollation is only a software that is embedded into the TV's MCU, panel refresh rate(60hz.) has got nothing to do with the motion interpollation. personally i dont use motion interpollation when i'm watching expensive production movies it makes any expensive movies looking cheap..eh pati yung supposed to be blurry background makita mo na parang nasa studio lang nag shoot..not to mention eh yung contrast ng tv mo bumaba. basta bluray yung material i go for 24p mode.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #50 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 04:43 PM »
So Doc, does it make our club, 2.5 or 3 members full now? :)

Oh poll ba to? Count me in!  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 23, 2013 at 09:53 PM »
Parang I haven't noticed yet how to adjust the level of Motion2?   But I'm still using the trial model on a new laptop so baka if I buy the activation code of Splash Pro, such feature would be added.  Or is it the limitation of the built-in Intel graphics?

Watched Full Bluray of After Earth last night - very nice effect.  Halos kamukha na rin ng effect of the 4K Demo on the Sony 84 because my screen is only 17.3 (full HD)...hehehe.

Oh, my wife an daughter don't like this effect on our VT30, pero panis naman kasi ang quality ng trumotion on a plasma - even on a VT model.  Haven't checked the quality on a Samsung 8500 though.  Kapag high-end LEDs ay pretty impressive for sure - ang linis.

I use Splash PRO's Motion2 feature.  I can adjust the level of frame interpolation.  Actually,  my setting is less than 50% (not too overpowering to distract me).  I have tried the feature on full for kicks and I got dizzy.

Also, I find the picture sharper with the feature on.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2013 at 09:58 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline james16

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM »

Nabasa ko sa ibang forum na 60hz yung tv ko na may tru motion.

Offline espionage

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #53 on: Sep 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM »
Sir count me in, 4 members full now! ;)
Using SplashPro on a plasma TV :P I'll never watched without using this feature 8)
Samsung 65" NU7100 | Onkyo TXSR608 | Zidoo X9S | AMD HTPC | PS4 | A-Audio FS | WH3 CS | Daichi Surr

Offline mangboy

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 24, 2013 at 01:58 PM »
ako din +1 i'am using splash pro ex sa pj ko :)

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 03:04 PM »
+1 on Trumotion, its like a different experience when watching films. Star Wars on "telenovela" effect is oh so good. It feels like watching old technology when it is turned off. Smooth motion for me soothes my eyes. Artifacts are there for quarter of a sec so i can live with it.

Offline james16

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 07:16 PM »
You can count me as well with appreciating tru motion. I turned it off only with movies that has shaking cam effect.

Offline Maiko@032

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 07, 2013 at 03:14 PM »
Hehe pasama na din ako. Just bought a 32F6300 and it was a blast watching 1080p movies. although, mhejo nakakahilo nga siya pag mhejo shaking ung camera effects. ganda nung avengers pag sa ganito.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #58 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 11:20 AM »
is there an available free activation code for the splash Pro? Thanks  :D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 09:34 PM »
Nagamit mo na ba yung 30-day trial period ng dalawa (Pro and Pro Ex)?  hehehe.   Anyway, this software is worth the $20 it charges.

is there an available free activation code for the splash Pro? Thanks  :D