Author Topic: Recommendations for audio setup  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Clinton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recommendations for audio setup
« on: Jan 29, 2011 at 08:05 AM »
hi sirs!
I need some recommendations for a newbie audio setup for 100k (excluding speakers)
as of now I can use either my dynaudio audience 52 or 42 from my current HT setup.
Please fill me in on your suggestions.
Thanks pdvd!
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2011 at 08:18 AM by Clinton »

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Re: Recommendations for audio setup
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM »
Note: prices indicated below are estimates and should be confirmed with the sellers

Source:  Cayin cd 50T tubed CD player from Audio Amplified - Php28k
Preamp:  JojoD Aikido - Php25k
Poweramp:  JojoD Gainclone - Php20k
Interconnects: Cal's IC - Php3K
Speaker Cables: Cal's speaker cable - Php5k

Estimated total:  Php81K
Spare change: Php 19K --- can be used to buy analog source --- Turntable, Phono Preamp, Cartridge/stylus and interconnects

Puwede na diba?

hi sirs!
I need some recommendations for a newbie audio setup for 100k (excluding speakers)
as of now I can use either my dynaudio audience 52 or 42 from my current HT setup.
Thanks pdvd!

Offline Clinton

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM »
Thanks sir joey! maganda suggestions mo. I'll take those into consideration.

What about this setup, paki comment lang mga gurus. room size is 20 sq.m

Nad 315
CA azur 350A or a more powerful amp
dyn audience 52

Thanks!

Offline richardcruz

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 03:40 PM »
I too, have the Dynaudio Audience 52 and I have Cayin CD 50 cdp, Musical Fidelity A3 CR Power Amp with a Musical Fidelity X-Pre preamp. IMHO, you need a powerful amp to drive those Dynes (at least 100w per channel at 8 ohms, 150 watts at 4 ohms which is the impedance of the Dynes) and a very detailed-sounding cdp (like the new series Cambridge Audio cd players - I'm thinking 650, 750 or 850 or Cayin higher end or audiophile grade cdps sold 2nd hand here) to bring out the best in your speakers and music system.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2011 at 03:41 PM by richardcruz »

Offline Clinton

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2011 at 08:44 AM »
I too, have the Dynaudio Audience 52 and I have Cayin CD 50 cdp, Musical Fidelity A3 CR Power Amp with a Musical Fidelity X-Pre preamp. IMHO, you need a powerful amp to drive those Dynes (at least 100w per channel at 8 ohms, 150 watts at 4 ohms which is the impedance of the Dynes) and a very detailed-sounding cdp (like the new series Cambridge Audio cd players - I'm thinking 650, 750 or 850 or Cayin higher end or audiophile grade cdps sold 2nd hand here) to bring out the best in your speakers and music system.

Nice setup richard, I've heard much about the cayin cd 50 cdp and the new cdps from cambridge. I agree with you. I'll note your suggestion and i'll go out for an audition from the local seller here. thanks.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2011 at 11:43 AM »
Thanks sir joey! maganda suggestions mo. I'll take those into consideration.

What about this setup, paki comment lang mga gurus. room size is 20 sq.m

Nad 315
CA azur 350A or a more powerful amp
dyn audience 52

Thanks!

You may want to use the 650A at least, to ensure that you can provide the Audience with enough current. :) The 650C + 650A will only be halfway through your budget.

You have quite some options with that budget, so I suggest you listen around. :)

Offline richardcruz

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2011 at 01:32 PM »
Nice setup richard, I've heard much about the cayin cd 50 cdp and the new cdps from cambridge. I agree with you. I'll note your suggestion and i'll go out for an audition from the local seller here. thanks.

Happy to help, I forgot to mention the Roksan Kandy amp + cdp, very musical combination, my only reservation is the power output of the amp, I think it reaches to only 80 watts at 8 ohms, which although decent and would be able to drive the Dynes, would still not reach their full potential. I auditioned them driving Monitor Audio RS6 and they sounded glorious, but worried whether the amp could drive the Dynes. Plus, the Roksan remote control looked so cool with the digital display and LED lights they were like the pre-genitor of the new remotes with the latest Samsung LEDs.

Why not go for a Musical Fidelity amp - Melvin had some very mint preowned pieces, grab them while available, which you could partner with the Cambridge Audio 650 cdp - I was very impressed with the "stealth" silence of this cdp, for me the best in its class cdp! I still don't recommend Cambridge Audio amps which tends to the clinical. The warmth of the MF amp and the detailed CA cdp will partner well.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2011 at 11:07 AM by richardcruz »

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2011 at 01:55 PM »
hi sirs!
Thanks pdvd!

I suggest spend time auditioning.
There's a lot of decent preown units for sale, just browse around.
If looking for brandnew units and you're near the Libis area, please drop by our showroom. You can bring your speaker, see if it matches with Cayin amps.

Cheers

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2014 at 09:21 PM »
Hi all,

I was browsing through all the threads here to figure out where I could post my question, and found this.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. is it true that a dedicated CD player/turntable will not sound as good with an AV receiver?
2. if the answer to the question above is yes, does one have to go the pre-amp + amp route which I see in the HT gallery threads?

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2014 at 09:40 PM »
Hi all,

I was browsing through all the threads here to figure out where I could post my question, and found this.

1. is it true that a dedicated CD player/turntable will not sound as good with an AV receiver?
2. if the answer to the question above is yes, does one have to go the pre-amp + amp route which I see in the HT gallery threads?

1. Not all the time... there are HT setup here that is also very good for two channel listening
2. If yes, then you can have option on going full separates(Amp/Pre-AMP/Source.. etc..) or integrated Amp or 2 channel receivers(With Tuner and Network Audio Player) all in one device
Walang Setup

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Re: Recommendations for audio setup
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2014 at 10:21 PM »
Hi all,

1. Not necessarily but most often, dedicated 2 channel stereo sources sound better with a 2 channel amplifier/receiver. (With the presumption that you mean receivers for audio/video).
2. No. There are a lot of integrated amplifiers available. The only advantage of having a separate pre amp and amp is that you can change the pre amp without changes in the amplification side. Some people prefer tube at the pre amp section. But there are also hybrid integrated amplifiers din.

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM »
AV receivers for the most part do a lot of things for your money. They decode, divide the signal to the channels, cross it over to different frequencies, amplify the sound not to mention the fact that it has a tuner, a preamp section, airplay etc etc. For the money they do so much for its intended purpose. That plethora of functions often dilutes the purity of the signal but that is dependent on the design characteristic of the component.

There are times that simplicity will always bring better results. Case in point stereo. The preamp only has two main functions...a source selector and a line driver. Signal purity is maintained. The amp has only one function and that is to amplify the sound. Both components were designed to do its job and do it exceptionally well.

A one box approach such as an integrated amp is enough for most users with a small to medium sized room. Separates or the multi box approach often is best when one craves for more power that an integrated can offer or the flexibility to swap out the pre section and amp section independently.

Choose your poison. There is no wrong nor right here. As long as one is satisfied with the outcome.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM »
Thanks @Nelson @Courage @synchro_01!

I'll read up on separates vs integrated :)

If I do decide to have an audio set up, the plan is to do it slowly - buy first a CD player and/or a turntable and use it with my current receiver and speakers. then if i find myself listening to music a bit more (maybe 50/50 with movies, instead of my current 70/30), proceed to get the amplifier (whether separate or integrated). and then maybe get speakers just for audio.

I was talking to Rex of Watts Hi Fi and he said if I get to the point that I have a stereo amp, and no separate speakers yet, I can buy a "speaker switcher" from one of the Pinoydvd regulars in the meantime. Pero malayo pa naman yun :)

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2014 at 12:08 AM »
Thanks @Nelson @Courage @synchro_01!

I'll read up on separates vs integrated :)

If I do decide to have an audio set up, the plan is to do it slowly - buy first a CD player and/or a turntable and use it with my current receiver and speakers. then if i find myself listening to music a bit more (maybe 50/50 with movies, instead of my current 70/30), proceed to get the amplifier (whether separate or integrated). and then maybe get speakers just for audio.

I was talking to Rex of Watts Hi Fi and he said if I get to the point that I have a stereo amp, and no separate speakers yet, I can buy a "speaker switcher" from one of the Pinoydvd regulars in the meantime. Pero malayo pa naman yun :)

Your receiver is capable of playing music files. Try it first and see if you like the sound. Try setting your speakers to large when listening to those FLAC or MP3 files in stereo mode. Your receiver has a very good SQ when it comes to stereo listening. It might save you from buying a CD player if you like the sound.
Walang Setup

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM »
^I will try that with my MP3s. I don't have FLACs, though I did google that a few days back when I came across the term while reading about DACs and digital sources :) There are online stores din pala, like iTunes etc, which sell FLAC.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2014 at 12:36 AM »
^I will try that with my MP3s. I don't have FLACs, though I did google that a few days back when I came across the term while reading about DACs and digital sources :) There are online stores din pala, like iTunes etc, which sell FLAC.

Yup...before i have my separate Audio setup, i'm using my receiver for 2 channel music listening as well and i'm pretty satisfied with it.

Madami lang talagang mangkukulam dito...
Walang Setup

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2014 at 12:44 AM »
You cannot categorically assign attributes to "separates" vs integrated. There are good components for both implementations. It is all about how well built the components are.

Component matching is important for great sound. It is better to plan the whole system, then buy one component as time and budget allows.

For a music setup to succeed, you must not compromise speaker placement. Mess this up and you will be forever blaming components,media, and your room.

Lastly, do not operate in a vacuum. Audition many good home audio rooms. Not showrooms but actual private rooms. Establish a reference so you know what to aim for.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2014 at 12:51 AM by Gino »

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2014 at 01:43 AM »
AV receivers for the most part do a lot of things for your money. They decode, divide the signal to the channels, cross it over to different frequencies, amplify the sound not to mention the fact that it has a tuner, a preamp section, airplay etc etc. For the money they do so much for its intended purpose. That plethora of functions often dilutes the purity of the signal but that is dependent on the design characteristic of the component.

There are times that simplicity will always bring better results. Case in point stereo. The preamp only has two main functions...a source selector and a line driver. Signal purity is maintained. The amp has only one function and that is to amplify the sound. Both components were designed to do its job and do it exceptionally well.

A one box approach such as an integrated amp is enough for most users with a small to medium sized room. Separates or the multi box approach often is best when one craves for more power that an integrated can offer or the flexibility to swap out the pre section and amp section independently.

Choose your poison. There is no wrong nor right here. As long as one is satisfied with the outcome.

+1 dito atty :)

maybe....just maybe that you myt like the sound of your avr pag stereo mode using your cd or mp3. but using the mm phono input kung mag pa plaka po kayo.......if your using a marantz avr, its decent. sa onkyo? crap!
WCH CM U?

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2014 at 08:34 PM »
I tried the stereo mode of my AVR (Denon 1713) with my Pioneer DVD player the past few days, and this weekend, with the NAD C516BEE (which I home auditioned). Usually with no subwoofer, except for occasional tracks.

I was surprised to realize that I did notice differences between the playback of a DVD player and a CD player. I think I was half expecting not to. To be fair to the Pioneer, though, it's the type of difference that you won't notice if the music track is just playing in the background and you're busy doing something - entertaining guests, talking to someone etc. Kaya pala "critical" listening ang tawag.

I'm happy with the audio quality, and I think I'll be contented with this type of set-up, and will no longer pair the CDP with a stereo amp.

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM »
I tried the stereo mode of my AVR (Denon 1713) with my Pioneer DVD player the past few days, and this weekend, with the NAD C516BEE (which I home auditioned). Usually with no subwoofer, except for occasional tracks.

I was surprised to realize that I did notice differences between the playback of a DVD player and a CD player. I think I was half expecting not to. To be fair to the Pioneer, though, it's the type of difference that you won't notice if the music track is just playing in the background and you're busy doing something - entertaining guests, talking to someone etc. Kaya pala "critical" listening ang tawag.

I'm happy with the audio quality, and I think I'll be contented with this type of set-up, and will no longer pair the CDP with a stereo amp.

Are you getting the 516bee na? Congrats, it's a very nice cdp..
Walang Setup

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM »
^Yes, looks like it :)

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM »
^Yes, looks like it :)
uy! congrats sir. :)

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 08:43 PM »
Is it preferable that for an audio set up, you source from the same brand? (e.g. NAD CD player + NAD amp or Marantz CD player + Marantz amp) Or can you cross-match?

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 12:26 AM »
Is it preferable that for an audio set up, you source from the same brand? (e.g. NAD CD player + NAD amp or Marantz CD player + Marantz amp) Or can you cross-match?

Yes you can...

My source Marantz Audio Player amp and preamp are both NAD
My Other source Onkyo CD Player then NAD Amp and Pre-amp
My Optional Source - Laptop - Marantz DAC then NAD Amp and Pre-amp..
Walang Setup

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2014 at 03:41 PM »
it's looking like i want a turntable :) - most likely a Rega RP3, maybe a Technics 1200 or RP1 if things don't work out.

My receiver is a Denon 1713, which has no phono input.

Been reading the threads here just to have an idea of what i'm getting into, if i proceed with this course of action. Baka mamaya di pala kaya ng current set up ko.

I arrived at 2 options.

Option 1 - Tipid mode option - approximate budget: 10K or less, in addition to cost of turntable

1. buy a phono preamp which should handle both MM and MC cartridges (looking at Rega or NAD);  and
2. interconnects (not the expensive ones  :D).

Option 2 - Not so tipid mode - approximate budget - 28-30K, on top of cost of turntable

1. Buy a phono pre-amp from NAD/Rega;
2. Buy a stereo amp;
3. Interconnects; and
4. Amp switcher.

Budget will be closer to 28-30K if I get a NAD 326BEE (which doesn't have a phone input) + a phono pre-amp.

If I buy the Rega Brio R or the Marantz PM6004, I can opt to use the built in phono stage. Budget will still be in the 28-30K range as the 2 are more expensive than the 326BEE. Dunno how comparable the built in phono input is though, versus a dedicated one.

Questions -

1. Will the 2 options above already make my turntable work? Or am I forgetting something?
2. Would the sub-10K models of phone pre-amps from NAD and Rega suffice, for my purposes?
3. Assuming Option 1, where would I connect the phone pre-amp to my receiver? Right now kasi, my CD player is connected to the RCA input marked as Cbl/Sat. So I just use the RCA input marked as DVD? Yung DVD/blu ray player ko kasi, connected via HDMI.