Author Topic: Media Player via HDMI to receiver  (Read 1013 times)

Offline gienr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Media Player via HDMI to receiver
« on: Apr 29, 2011 at 05:36 AM »
My Iomega Screenplay Director HD media player doesn't play purely on via HDMI to Receiver.  It transmit video to my LCD TV but no audio.  Input settings is done as I did the same on my Samsung DVD player, still I could not get any sound.  The file I am playing is "I am legend" DTS.  To be able to watch movie files, I used an optical cable for digital sound and directly connected the HDMI cable to the LCD TV.  There, watching goes smoothly.
     The case in point here is I want to have an "HDMI only" connection.  There maybe some pdvd members here who will be willing to help or suggest to solve my problem.  Or maybe there are owners of the same media player same as I have who could pitch in a solution. 
      If this problem is not solvable, I want to know now which media player does play smoothly without hassle on "HDMI cable alone"?  Kindly help.  Thanks in advance

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Media Player via HDMI to receiver
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 06:50 AM »
try enabling the "HDMI Audio On" on your NMT's settings bro.

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 02:45 PM »
Have done that but to no avail.  Now I am thinking it might be my HDMI cable, a sony brand na kasamang pinadala. Thinking baka may mas magandang klase to output both video and audio signal.  Is this case possible?  Kasi may mahal at may mura when buying.  Kung itry ko naman iyong mga tig P1,500 baka same problem din  that's why I am asking for some more comments. Thanks

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 02:59 PM »
My Iomega Screenplay Director HD media player doesn't play purely on via HDMI to Receiver.  It transmit video to my LCD TV but no audio.  Input settings is done as I did the same on my Samsung DVD player, still I could not get any sound.  The file I am playing is "I am legend" DTS.

The proper procedure is to trace the problem by isolating the components.

First, isolate the media player.  Connect HDMI from media player direct to TV. Make sure the TV setting allows audio to pass via HDMI.  Play something with ordinary Dolby or MP3.  Those DTS  files are often problematic.  If sound and picture are played by the TV, then you know audio passes via HDMI from media player to TV.

Next, isolate the receiver.  Connect HDMI from media player to receiver to TV.  Make sure the receiver setting allows audio to pass via HDMI.  If sound is played by the receiver and speakers, then you know audio passes via HDMI from media player to receiver.

Next, isolate the DTS.  Try another movie file with DTS sound, using HDMI media player to receiver to TV.  If it works, then there's something wrong with the DTS sound on the file you were previously testing.  

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:01 PM by barrister »

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2011 at 06:13 AM »
Thanks very much sir barrister.  Your comment is 100% correct and helpful.  Almost four hours was spent to try to trace the problem. Maybe my problem is the file I downloaded because when I tried DIVX files, it was ok then I played a 4gb file, it is ok, then I played a dts file, ok, then I went back to that file "I am legend, DTS" it did not play.  Before I read your comment I was thinking it is my HDMI cable, a "high speed Sony brand", thinking that a bigger file cannot be handled by my cable that's why I'm thinking of acquiring one that handles 3D, that 1.4 version cable, wishing I could play bigger gigabyte files. 
     Am I correct?  Or you have other inputs?  TIA.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2011 at 07:38 AM »
Thanks very much sir barrister.  Your comment is 100% correct and helpful.  Almost four hours was spent to try to trace the problem. Maybe my problem is the file I downloaded because when I tried DIVX files, it was ok then I played a 4gb file, it is ok, then I played a dts file, ok, then I went back to that file "I am legend, DTS" it did not play.  ...

I'm glad you were able to confirm that your HDMI audio is OK.

The tendency is to think that downloaded files were all encoded with correct specifications.  So if it doesn't play back correctly, the tendency is to blame the user's setup rather than the downloaded file.

The truth is that many of those downloaded files have compression and encoding errors.  Remember that those uploaders are not professionals, they're just hobbyists.  Many of them are just teen-age amateurs with nothing better to do with their time :D.  So it's not surprising that very few of them have the proper skills to come up with a high-quality video file.

So if your I am Legend file has a bad DTS encode, don't blame your hardware.    

... Before I read your comment I was thinking it is my HDMI cable, a "high speed Sony brand", thinking that a bigger file cannot be handled by my cable that's why I'm thinking of acquiring one that handles 3D, that 1.4 version cable, wishing I could play bigger gigabyte files.  
     Am I correct?  Or you have other inputs?  TIA.

An HDMI 1.0 cable can handle a 50 Gig Blu-ray.  There's no reason why a High Speed HDMI 1.3 cable won't be able to handle a 4 Gig movie file.

Actually, a High-Speed rated HDMI 1.3 cable is already 3D-capable at full 1080p.  

It's not true that you need an HDMI 1.4 cable to handle 3D.  However, it is true that the devices (player, TV, AV receiver, etc.) must be HDMI ver. 1.4a so that they can handle the new EDID codes that set the 3D frame packing parameters.

If the devices (player, TV, AV receiver, etc.) are not HDMI 1.4a, the EDID parameters can't be read, and the 3D video can't be passed.

Buy an HDMI 1.4a cable now and you just waste your money.  

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2011 at 08:04 PM by barrister »

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2011 at 08:21 AM »
You are just fantastic sir barrister.  I will just keep on trying everything on set up and further reading of the thick manual till I discover the solution.  Thank you very much in the meantime, meantime because I may again ask something later. You are an expert sir barrister