Author Topic: Rear Projection DLP HDTV  (Read 910 times)

Offline joshindaphils

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rear Projection DLP HDTV
« on: Feb 08, 2011 at 08:26 PM »
Why is it that rear projectioin TVs are practicaly nonexistance here? If you do find them in a show room they are 2 to 6 years old (really) and way overpriced (even accounting for the 1.5 to 2 times the cost vs the US factor)!

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Rear Projection DLP HDTV
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 11:37 AM »
Tell me about it. I saw a 73" DLP from Mitsubishi in Metro Ayala, Cebu going for 210K WTF? I wouldn't mind but it was all bashed up and they point blank refused to discount for wear and tear. The thing is still there, still 210K after 2 1/2 years. Those twats would rather lose a sale than discount. I will NEVER buy electronics from this country...EVER. I'm getting an EPSON Projector for 65K when the local dealer demand 150K for the earlier model. They can kiss my British arse. Do what I do, import. It's not as if the warranties here are worth anything, they ain't worth wiping your arse crack on TBH. 3 weeks ago I had a shop offer me a 1 week warranty on a brand new PS3, what a rip.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline joshindaphils

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rear Projection DLP HDTV
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 04:40 PM »
Hehe yeah saw the same unit when I was living in Cebu as well. At least @ Market Market (Manila) they have the same one @ 130k I just can't justify it to my self that a 3-4 yo TV (with geometry issues to boot) that has been sitting on the floor for who knows how long is still going 3x the cost it was selling for in the states 3 years ago!

It kills me because I want that 73" goodness  ;D It doesn't help things that there are no Mitsubishi service centers in the Phils and they only offer a 'no-parts' 1 year labor only warranty. What a joke.

Anyhow for what it is worth I used to import my stuff as well (mostly computer stuff / laptop etc.) when I was in cebu, but last time I imported (living in Global City / Taguig now) I got hit with ~30% tariff. I didn't get that treatment in Cebu so consider yourself lucky if you are avoiding the import tax. Just moved to Makati and I certainly don't want to see if I get smacked with a tariff on big ticket item. Shipping cost and a 30% hike in price really offsets savings vs. local on some items.
Wish I could get some insight to the mentality of some of the retailers here, or at least get them educated about what a write off is ;D Better some money then sitting items until they fall apart IMO.

Found RP DLP sets the best bang for the buck stateside seams like it would be economical to build the cabinets here and import the parts. Wish an enterprising individual would figure that out so I can buy one here without feeling like a tool.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011 at 04:44 PM by joshindaphils »