Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 341313 times)

Offline dongkhoi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:How to setup your PC for HD resolution
« Reply #30 on: Jun 26, 2003 at 09:15 AM »

7. now its time to setup your HD resolutions. right-click powerstrip icon on tray, then click on display profiles-> configure->advanced timing options, custom resolutions.
Now its time to add a resolution, scan the list for HD resolutions. Select 960x540 hdtv derived, look at the right panel, and change 960 to 720 (since our pixelplus is 4:3 not 16:9) make sure that the vertical and horizontal frequencies are 60hz and 34khz respectively.
then click add resolution.  Powerstrip will inform you whether your video card has accepted the resolution, or will ask you to reboot. After this, click all the nesessary buttons to close the powerstrip window, make sure the power strip is still active and sitting on the tray.

5. go back to your desktop and rightclick properties->settings->advanced->adapter->list all modes.  Look for 720x540@60hz. And select it. After your desktop settings have changed, test it again on your TV by removing your monitor and plugging your video card to the vga port on your TV and select AV3 again. You will now see your desktop on the TV! you may notice a little overscan or maybe the screen isnt centered.  To fix this, right click on the powerstirp icon on the tray, select display profiles again->configure->advanced timing options. on the left panel you will see arrows, position and size, only move the left and right arrows to center, do not click on the other arrows cause this will make changes to the vertical and horizontal frequencies.  Adjust to your liking then click OK.  Then click save as. 720 x 540 pixels, TrueColor (32 bit). then OK to exit.  Now when you right click powerstrip display profiles, you will see a new resolution 720x540!

jpadua,

I tried to set it up last night, everything worked fine except when :

I'm already trying to add a resolution, by scanning the list for HD resolutions. When I selected 960x540 hdtv derived and look at the right panel, and change 960 to 720 and vertical and horizontal frequencies are 60hz and 34khz respectively.

I did all that and the pc asked me to reboot which I did, then I went back to the desktop and rightclick properties->settings->advanced->adapter->list all modes.  Look for 720x540@60hz

I can't find the 720x540@60hz among the choices, that's why the tv screen overlapped on all sides.

What should I do about it? the powerstrip is version 3.4 already.

The tv screen is also a little bit grainy as it moves like a wave around the whole screen, what should I do about it?

Next is how do I set up the sound? can I connect my soundcard directly to my AVR? What cable should I buy?

I hope you can help me again jay and thank you. :D :D :D

dongkhoi
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2003 at 09:32 AM by dongkhoi »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 26, 2003 at 03:01 PM »
jpadua,

I tried to set it up last night, everything worked fine except when :

I'm already trying to add a resolution, by scanning the list for HD resolutions. When I selected 960x540 hdtv derived and look at the right panel, and change 960 to 720 and vertical and horizontal frequencies are 60hz and 34khz respectively.

I did all that and the pc asked me to reboot which I did, then I went back to the desktop and rightclick properties->settings->advanced->adapter->list all modes.  Look for 720x540@60hz

I can't find the 720x540@60hz among the choices, that's why the tv screen overlapped on all sides.

What should I do about it? the powerstrip is version 3.4 already.

The tv screen is also a little bit grainy as it moves like a wave around the whole screen, what should I do about it?

Next is how do I set up the sound? can I connect my soundcard directly to my AVR? What cable should I buy?

I hope you can help me again jay and thank you. :D :D :D

dongkhoi

Hi, did you remember to specify the Sony GD-W900 monitor? Windows XP bases the resolutions displayed by your monitor.  Make sure you have the Sony GD-w900 selected as your monitor connected.  When you view the list.. you will find 720x540@60 :)

I'm not sure about the grainy part and the wavy picture.. thats not supposed to be there. anyway.. once you get 720x540 running, maybe you will lose the grainyness and the wavyness... experiment first.

With regards, to your output to your AVR.  Make sure that you have a digital Spdif output.  What soundcard are you using? you have to have a soundcard with a digital out, like the Audigy.  With the audigy just use a mono minijack to RCA plug then plug it into the Spdif Coaxial on your amp and select it.  On you  mixer board sa xp, select advanced then, place a tick on digital output.  make sure that AC-3 decoding is turned off (this is if you are using an audigy)

Tell me what happens to your setup ;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
Re:Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #32 on: Jun 26, 2003 at 03:04 PM »
hi jay,

my pc setup is as follows:

Atlon xp 2100 ghz
globalwin cak-488 fan
epox 8rda nforce 2 mobo
512 mb pc333 ddr
128 mb geforce 4 ti4200-8x
40 gig maxtor 7200 rpm
sony 8/2/32 cdrw
pioneer dvdrom drive
enermax 350 watts psu
19" samsung syncmaster 900nf monitor

I was planning to get 36 sony xbr450 with drc-mf my friend is selling.do you think it can handle the resolutions you've mentioned above.tnx

Hi Bigbird, as long as your TV can support, 480p / 1080i
you may be able to do any resolution with the same timings

like, 640x480, 720x480, 720x540, 960x540, you wont be able to do any 1080i cause Geforce doesnt support interlaced res for overlay, you may use its progressive counterpart which is 540p (1080i/2=540p).  The TV will still detect 540p as 1080i

Offline dongkhoi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 26, 2003 at 04:58 PM »
Hi, did you remember to specify the Sony GD-W900 monitor? Windows XP bases the resolutions displayed by your monitor.  Make sure you have the Sony GD-w900 selected as your monitor connected.  When you view the list.. you will find 720x540@60 :)

I'm not sure about the grainy part and the wavy picture.. thats not supposed to be there. anyway.. once you get 720x540 running, maybe you will lose the grainyness and the wavyness... experiment first.

With regards, to your output to your AVR.  Make sure that you have a digital Spdif output.  What soundcard are you using? you have to have a soundcard with a digital out, like the Audigy.  With the audigy just use a mono minijack to RCA plug then plug it into the Spdif Coaxial on your amp and select it.  On you  mixer board sa xp, select advanced then, place a tick on digital output.  make sure that AC-3 decoding is turned off (this is if you are using an audigy)

Tell me what happens to your setup ;D

Yes, I already specified the Sony GD-W900 I'm already in the: adding a resolution, by scanning the list for HD resolutions. When I selected 960x540 hdtv derived and look at the right panel, and change 960 to 720 and vertical and horizontal frequencies are 60hz and 34khz respectively.

Then the pc asked me to reboot, done that, then I went back to the desktop and rightclick properties->settings->advanced->adapter->list all modes.  Try to look for 720x540@60hz, which I can't find among the choices.

Apparantly my soundcard is built in the motherboard...so I need to buy another one? My mother board is ASUS A7V8X 8X AGP KT400 DDR.

Thanks

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #34 on: Jun 26, 2003 at 05:26 PM »
Are your monitors larger than 27"?

Offline dongkhoi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 26, 2003 at 07:29 PM »
Are your monitors larger than 27"?

yes it 29"

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 27, 2003 at 02:13 PM »
Yes, I already specified the Sony GD-W900 I'm already in the: adding a resolution, by scanning the list for HD resolutions. When I selected 960x540 hdtv derived and look at the right panel, and change 960 to 720 and vertical and horizontal frequencies are 60hz and 34khz respectively.

Then the pc asked me to reboot, done that, then I went back to the desktop and rightclick properties->settings->advanced->adapter->list all modes.  Try to look for 720x540@60hz, which I can't find among the choices.

Apparantly my soundcard is built in the motherboard...so I need to buy another one? My mother board is ASUS A7V8X 8X AGP KT400 DDR.

Thanks

Hi Dongkhoi, taga saan ka ba? maybe I can drop by and help you setup your HTPC with your Pixel plus :D  how's it going na nga pala? were you able to setup your resolutions yet?
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2003 at 02:16 PM by jpadua »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 27, 2003 at 02:14 PM »
Nope you need a micro ATX Psu so it is smaller. Mine was rated at 235watts.

Maybe next week we could schedule some time .  

yeah, I want to checkout your case ;D maybe I could bring my HTPC and show you what it can do :) kahit s-video lang :D with the upscaling

Offline dongkhoi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 27, 2003 at 02:27 PM »

I'm from QC near Kamias. I can't seem to adjust the screen to 720x540 hence, all the sides overlapped the whole screen. I tried it many times pero ayaw talaga.

With regards to the grainy screen, I think it has something to do with interference or something.

Sige dude, if you have the time please tell me so we can schedule kung kailan tayo magkikita. My number pala is 0920 921-6414.

Thanks ;)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 27, 2003 at 02:39 PM »
I'm from QC near Kamias. I can't seem to adjust the screen to 720x540 hence, all the sides overlapped the whole screen. I tried it many times pero ayaw talaga.

With regards to the grainy screen, I think it has something to do with interference or something.

Sige dude, if you have the time please tell me so we can schedule kung kailan tayo magkikita. My number pala is 0920 921-6414.

Thanks ;)

Yikes! layo pala! hehe I'm from Las Pinas hehehe... actualy I was thinking it also could be that your Geforce MX doesnt support this resolution.  I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and I get this resolution easily... were you able to get other resolutions?

Offline dongkhoi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 27, 2003 at 05:15 PM »
Yikes! layo pala! hehe I'm from Las Pinas hehehe... actualy I was thinking it also could be that your Geforce MX doesnt support this resolution.  I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and I get this resolution easily... were you able to get other resolutions?

i haven't tried it yet but if i do, do you have any other resolutions in mind? ::)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 27, 2003 at 05:31 PM »
i haven't tried it yet but if i do, do you have any other resolutions in mind? ::)

Actually I'm using 960x540p its the best one...
then I use the vertical squeeze on the TV

If you use a soft DVD player, you would be getting a tall picture right? so what I did, I'm using Theatretek, its another Software DVD player, but you can control the correct aspect ratio, so if the picture is tall, I just use theatretek to squeez the picture to the correct aspect ratio.

Offline bigbird2323

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 28, 2003 at 12:15 AM »
hi guys,i've been doing some research on the net and here is what i came up with.for those hdtv sets that doesn't have a vga/rgb connection and only has component connection .i found two ways to go about connecting your pc to your hdtv.one is through the ATI hdtv component adapter for use with the radeon series of cards,basically its a dongle that adds a component out to your  radeon video card.the other way is through a transcoder which is a device that converts vga/rgb to component.my only problem is that I dont think its available locally.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 28, 2003 at 09:44 AM »
hi guys,i've been doing some research on the net and here is what i came up with.for those hdtv sets that doesn't have a vga/rgb connection and only has component connection .i found two ways to go about connecting your pc to your hdtv.one is through the ATI hdtv component adapter for use with the radeon series of cards,basically its a dongle that adds a component out to your  radeon video card.the other way is through a transcoder which is a device that converts vga/rgb to component.my only problem is that I dont think its available locally.

Yeah, muntik na ako magpabili ng VGA to Component Transcoder! mahal.. but that's the best way... The component dongle of the Radeons is ok too considering that its only $30 and it comes free with the All in Wonder starting from the 8500 series.

Only problem with the Component Dongle of ATI is that it has set resolutions, and I'm not sure if its compatible with powerstrip.  To activate the Dongle you have to use the Catalyst drivers.  Plus there's no way to adjust the overscan.  but for the price Id go with an ATI heheh
the Transcoder itself is almost as expensive as a graphics card already... so it might be better to by a radeon and a ati component dongle instead :D

Yep its not available locally, ATI is really hard pressed here, the graphics card market is dominated by Nvidia :( so sa states nalang ako pabili.  By the way ATI also has a PC remote control which makes the HTPC sooo much cooler!!! astig!
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2003 at 09:51 AM by jpadua »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
Finally got my RADEON 9600 Pro!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 01:55 PM »
Finally got a Radeon 9600pro! I'm now playing DVDs at 1080i on my HDTV whoah! nicey nicey me likey likey. doing 1620x1440 software resize and sharpen then Hardware downsize to 1080i  

Offline bigbird2323

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 02:19 PM »
Where did you buy your card and how much,I'm also thinking of upgrading my geforce4 ti4200-8x,is it true that there is a big difference in performance between the geforce and the radeon when it comes to dvd playback?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 03:22 PM »
Where did you buy your card and how much,I'm also thinking of upgrading my geforce4 ti4200-8x,is it true that there is a big difference in performance between the geforce and the radeon when it comes to dvd playback?

Yeah there is a big difference din, I think... I know that the Radeon Overlay is Superior to that of Nvidia, more vibrant colors.  To achieve the same quality with nvidia you have to use VMR9 although you add more CPU load.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
Update - Radeon
« Reply #47 on: Jul 28, 2003 at 08:48 AM »
Hi Guys, recently got a Radeon 9600 pro, had problems setting it up, for 1080i.  Just wanted to share some tips.
1. Use Cat 3.4 - the newer cats do not allow interlaced resolution.
2. Use Powerstrip Beta version.. The release version does not include the new Radeons 9600/9800 but I guess they will make the beta a release soon, but as of now the beta's work fine.

It took me about 3 days to figure out what was wrong and got it right eventually... save yourself the hassle.  :)

Offline ots

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 28, 2003 at 10:13 AM »
ATI branded ba yung card mo?

As far as I know, ATI cards cards are officially available in North America only.  This is part of  their agreement with OEMs that make cards with ATI chips.   What I'd like to know is if the ATI component video dongle works with OEM cards like Sapphire (which is availabel here).

If you'd like to go ATI on the cheap (relatively), go with the 9100 series cards (64mb version available for less than P4,000).  It's really a renamed 8500, ATI's previous king of the hill.   According to the Sapphire website, it has vga, dvi-d and s-video outs.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 28, 2003 at 10:33 AM »
ATI branded ba yung card mo?

As far as I know, ATI cards cards are officially available in North America only.  This is part of  their agreement with OEMs that make cards with ATI chips.   What I'd like to know is if the ATI component video dongle works with OEM cards like Sapphire (which is availabel here).

If you'd like to go ATI on the cheap (relatively), go with the 9100 series cards (64mb version available for less than P4,000).  It's really a renamed 8500, ATI's previous king of the hill.   According to the Sapphire website, it has vga, dvi-d and s-video outs.

Actually the one I have is a Sapphire 9600pro, I'm not sure if the dongle works, becuase as far as I know, the dongle was designed for 9500 9700 and 9800 there is also a version of the dongle for lower rated radeons.  Right now I'm using a direct connection via VGA cable to the VGA input of my TV.  No need for the Dongle to connect to an HDTV.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
HTPC Modded Case
« Reply #50 on: Aug 04, 2003 at 09:55 AM »
Converted an old Beige 386 Desktop case into an AthlonXP HTPC Case! Check it out!

AthlonXP2000
512DDR ram
ECS 333 mobo
Liteon DVD-rom
Liteon CDRW
Radeon 9600Pro
SB Audigy
40GB Seagate Barracuda
20GB Seagate Barracuda
HEC 475 PSU Dual Fan
2 Case Fans
1 Cardslot Antech Video Card Cooler Fan
IR Keyboard/Mouse

Tools Used:
Sander Drill Attachment
Rotary Tool and Cutting Discs
A few Spray cans

Bear with the pics took them lang with my phone :)

Sander Attachment to strip the baige paint

Baremetal Case Cover

Bosny Acrylic Epoxy - fastest drying paint! 2-3 min

Metalic Black... perfect for an Home Theater Setup Rack

Cut out the back panel to fit an ATX Mobo (used to be a 386 AT)

Painting the front Panel

Fit all the Peripherals

Testing the the completed PC

Finished! connected to my HD TV :)
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2003 at 03:25 PM by jpadua »

Offline ots

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 09:33 AM »
what's the range of the IR keyboard?
I'm thinking puwedeng gawing remote control (a bit clunky though) in conjunction with some freeware.   RF keyboards might perform better, I think.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 05, 2003 at 09:57 AM »
what's the range of the IR keyboard?
I'm thinking puwedeng gawing remote control (a bit clunky though) in conjunction with some freeware.   RF keyboards might perform better, I think.

Actually I have both, my first was a Logitech RF Keyboard/Mouse... problem with this was the range, 6M lang sometimes 8, but you'll be missing some keystrokes here and there, its also susceptible to intereference.. but no line of sight required.  The IR keyboard, as long you have line of sight... its very solid, no lag, no breakups, tested it from about 10 meters or so...

I like them both, I'm just enjoying the IR keyboard now since the mouse is built in. The IR Keyboard also works simultaneously with your RF Keyboard and Mouse/Trackball if connected at the same time.

Ive been trying to get the IR module to work with girder but to no avail, apparently all the IR plugins for girder only work for serial type IR ports and not USB (mine is USB) :(
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2003 at 03:26 PM by jpadua »

Offline bardigones

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • angna angna
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 09:55 AM »
mine's not actually a Full HTPC...

-AMD Duron 800 - (waiting for the Bartons to become cheap)
-256x2 DDR333
-40gb 7200rpm
-64mb GF4MX 8x - Palit Daytona (s-video)
-Liteon DVD 16x
-Epox 8RDA+ v1.1 - Nforce2
-Creative 5.1 Inspire 5300

-svideo out to Widescreen Sony 28" BS: KV28FW1 from Pier

my main problem is the Jap menu in the TV and ghosting in my picture quality (very evident in dark scenes).

hope you guys can help me have a better picture qualtiy through "tweaking"

i use WinXP Pro
Powerstrip
PowerDVD 4
-gonna try later: PowerDVD 5, NvDVD and WinDVD 5

also gonna upload some pics later this week, hiramin ko muna digicam ng bro ko...
-
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate." - Abe Lincoln

Offline mdsaint3

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • My avatar is my dog!!! She bites!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 11:51 AM »
bardigones - review naman ng tv mo when using it as a monitor ..yun desktop view nya and browsing? ayus naman ba?? clear naman ba?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 01:07 PM »
bardigones - review naman ng tv mo when using it as a monitor ..yun desktop view nya and browsing? ayus naman ba?? clear naman ba?

I used to have an s-video setup before going HD, if you are using a Geforce card, use TVtool... this is way better than using the default s-video driver or Nvidia.  Didnt I send you TV tool before?

Offline ots

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 02:36 PM »
Ive been trying to get the IR module to work with girder but to no avail, apparently all the IR plugins for girder only work for serial type IR ports and not USB (mine is USB)  

Girder is an interesting shareware.  Have you seen it work in another setup?
I have an idea for a workaround:  1) Use the shareware PC Remote Control which is compatible with the keyboard.  It can run in the background, so your IR keyboard functions like a remote. 2) Use a learning remote or Palm remote control; maybe you can program the remote buttons according to the corresponding keystrokes.

We really should schedule a session so JPADUA can show off his HTPC and have a turoing session on graphedit, tvtool, etc. at the same time.

Offline mdsaint3

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • My avatar is my dog!!! She bites!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 04:24 PM »
I used to have an s-video setup before going HD, if you are using a Geforce card, use TVtool... this is way better than using the default s-video driver or Nvidia.  Didnt I send you TV tool before?

i meant i wanted a review of his tvs picture quality..yeah i have tvtool..thanks

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 10:31 PM »
tanong lang po mga experts.  what video card do you recommend for HTPC.  i am planning to connect it to my pixel plus tv.
initial specs:
P4 2.4C 800MHz FSB
Asus P4P800 Deluxe i865
2 x 256MB Kingston PC3200 DDR Memory for Dual DDR Channel Config
Video Card--??????  is GEForce4 128Mb FX5200 OK?

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2003 at 03:57 AM by YrNeH »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 08:12 AM »
tanong lang po mga experts.  what video card do you recommend for HTPC.  i am planning to connect it to my pixel plus tv.
initial specs:
P4 2.4C 800MHz FSB
Asus P4P800 Deluxe i865
2 x 256MB Kingston PC3200 DDR Memory for Dual DDR Channel Config
Video Card--??????  is GEForce4 128Mb FX5200 OK?

Lakas ng Machine mo! ayos yan. Actually you can use any graphics card. Of course I would recommend ATI since you can do interlaced resolutions with it (1080i) and I suggest you should. I use an ATI 9600pro but even an ATI Radeon VE is good for video playback, just go choose higher ATI's cards if you want better game performance. Geforce cards are ok but you can only go up to 540p.  Before connecting your computer to your Pixelplus, you have to make sure that the special resolutions are already set.  Set them using a regular monitor first to avoid damaging your TV.   Use powerstrip to create custom resolutions.  Remember your TV can only support 50 to 60hz vertical resolution
(pixelplus, we have the same TV) anything under or more than that can damage your TV.  Make sure that the resolutions you create with powerstrip fall under the allowable vertical frequencies.