Author Topic: Will a low pixel source be clearer in a full HD tv than a 720p?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline GTdiver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Guys,
here's our debate... Given, if you watch a BD on a 32" tv and a 42" tv, it'll hardly be noticeable unless you watch inches away from the tv.

Now, here's the argument.

If I were to play av low res (3mp) video or picture on a 720p and 1080p tv, you'll be able to see the difference simply because there are more pixels. .....closer together ergo clearer.

Comments please! Hope you guys get my point. :)

Offline obelix

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Will a low pixel source be clearer in a full HD tv than a 720p?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2011 at 07:05 AM »
the picture on the 1080p would be more pixelized so better get a 720p monitor

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2011 at 07:45 AM »
According to my friend it'll be clearer cause there are more pixels hence the Mahaba habang inuman debate! Haha!

Keep the comments coming gurus!

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2011 at 08:13 AM »
The (digital) zooming in factor will be higher to fill out the entire screen of a full HD monitor if the video signal is small (if your TV or media player has the option to display the original video size, a lossy 300mb file would occupy a very small rectangular area right in the middle of the 1080p panel; the rest would be black bars all around (for ref, a 720p video signal would occupy about half the 1080p panel area, and a 1080p one would fill out the entire screen on its original size less a few black bars on the top and bottom depending on the aspect ratio) - thus, a low resolution signal will suck even more if you digitally magnify it more.

Then there is also the factor of age of file.  A very new TV series would look so much better than an old one even though the filesize is practically the same at around 300mb.

Try to watch at an angle above 45 degrees from the HDTV and the low definition image would improve somehow.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2011 at 01:21 PM »
According to my friend it'll be clearer cause there are more pixels hence the Mahaba habang inuman debate! Haha!

No, hindi ganon yon.  Ang premise kasi niya, damihan mo lang ang pixels ng TV, gaganda na ang picture.  That's not true.

All other things being equal, mas maganda nga dapat ang picture sa 720p TV kasi konti lang ang upscaling na kailangang gawin ng software ng TV.  Mas pangit ang picture sa 1080p TV kasi mas malaki ang upscaling na kailangan.

Pero posible rin na mas maganda ang picture sa 1080p TV kung mas magaling ang algorithm ng upscaling software sa TV na yon.  In that case, the better picture on the 1080p display was brought about by the particular TV's superior upscaling software, not by the resolution increase alone.

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2011 at 01:24 PM by barrister »

Offline GTdiver

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2011 at 05:49 PM »
No, hindi ganon yon.  Ang premise kasi niya, damihan mo lang ang pixels ng TV, gaganda na ang picture.  That's not true.

All other things being equal, mas maganda nga dapat ang picture sa 720p TV kasi konti lang ang upscaling na kailangang gawin ng software ng TV.  Mas pangit ang picture sa 1080p TV kasi mas malaki ang upscaling na kailangan.

Pero posible rin na mas maganda ang picture sa 1080p TV kung mas magaling ang algorithm ng upscaling software sa TV na yon.  In that case, the better picture on the 1080p display was brought about by the particular TV's superior upscaling software, not by the resolution increase alone.

Good explanation!  Thanks!  I wil update you on his counter argument.  Hehe.

Yes maybe clondalkin may also be correct that he just watched from another angle ergo the clearer picture
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2011 at 05:49 PM by GTdiver »

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2011 at 08:00 PM »
The simple answer is NO.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline Slaveknight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2011 at 08:21 AM »
heres the thing, if you have a 1080p res hdtv, It will utilize the resolution unless its Blu-Ray not a DVD. But the thing interests me is the more the video bitrate, the best quality you will enjoy :)
Please vote me as a Super Reviewer click here at
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/id/918195855/