Author Topic: does tv with digital tuner still need cable box for sky cable?  (Read 18527 times)

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
guys.. malinaw daw po sky cable ngayon kayalang kailangan daw po ng cable box...

kayalang binibilang per tv sa isang household...
pag ang tv ba may built in digital tuner pwede nang walang cable box from them?

followup question.. pwede din ba bumili ng digital cable box sa labas para gamitin sa sky? para isang box lang babayaran sakanila?

thanks

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: does tv with digital tuner still need cable box for sky cable?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM »
Yup, pwede na kahit walang digibox kung may built-in tuner na ang TV. In our case, picture quality improved a lot after installing Sky's Digibox. Plus you get a few extra channels.

Yup, free yung Digibox kung ilan ang naka-subscribe na TVs sa Skycable.

You can't buy the digibox sa labas kasi may serial number/code ang bawat box at yun ang ginagamit nila na pang-activate.

Gagana pa din naman yung ibang TV kahit na walang digibox. Rekta mo lang yung cable wire sa antenna input ng TV.

Offline pentium4

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011 at 08:52 AM »

No, you cannot use the TV tuner built in on Sky digibox equipped area. That means you will still need sky digibox per TV.

and NO, your digibox is charged per month and is not free.

on the new anti piracy area of sky, you will not be able to watch all channels if you connect the coax direct to the TV. and that is only for now, once they activate the system, subs will be required to get a digibox 100% in able to watch sky cable.

and lastly... picture quality on sky using lcd is still not at par with Cignal TV digital broadcast.
unless you get the HD package which they charge alot.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 792
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011 at 09:16 AM »
No, you cannot use the TV tuner built in on Sky digibox equipped area. That means you will still need sky digibox per TV.

on the new anti piracy area of sky, you will not be able to watch all channels if you connect the coax direct to the TV. and that is only for now, once they activate the system, subs will be required to get a digibox 100% in able to watch sky cable.

and lastly... picture quality on sky using lcd is still not at par with Cignal TV digital broadcast.

I don't pay anything for my Skycable digibox.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2601
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011 at 09:21 AM »
I don't pay anything for my Skycable digibox.

same here wala kami dinagdag sa digibox
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline pentium4

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM »
hhmmm. how come Cavite subs are being required to get digibox and upgrade their monthly fee to P780/mnt and get additional box for around P250 per month from what I have read.

since Cavite cable was acquired by Sky, will this be the reason? hhmmm
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011 at 11:36 AM by pentium4 »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM »
I believe the purpose of the Digibox is to prevent anyone from making illegal connections like those exists now. The digital signal is encrypted from the source and decrypted by the digibox. So if everything is fully implemented, you will not be able to watch anything from your tv with built-in digital tuner unless go get the digibox.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM »
pwede bang mag splitter before mag digibox para ung isa lang naka digibox?

Offline jason13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM »

getting the digibox is a free upgrade, and is not charged per month, the monthly fee will be increased to P780 since the digibox will gain access to new channels, 250 pesos is the additional monthly subscription fee for an extension and is not a charge for the digibox. Digibox is free for all legit TV extension.

Sky is requiring all of its subscribers to have the digibox because soon, Sky's analog signal will be turned off which means, no digibox, no signal

Offline pentium4

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011 at 08:16 AM »
whatever you call it, you still pay for the 2nd box.
actually you're paying for the box and not the subscription for the said plan, since if you say that plan780 then you pay subscription fee on the 2nd box as P250 only. that is not correct.

it should be the other way around, your subscription is free but you pay for the box @ P250 per month.
otherwise, if you say it is subscription, then you should be paying P780 and P780 for the 2nd box.

how will you say it is a free upgrade when in fact your monthly fee increased from the current P460 to P780?
(this applies for provincial subs)

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011 at 09:48 AM »
pwede bang mag splitter before mag digibox para ung isa lang naka digibox?
That's what I have now. Naka-splitter sa main then yung sa sala lang ang naka-digibox. Pinakiusapan ko na lang yung digibox installer na kung pwede pa yun. Itago ko na lang daw yung splitter para di kita. Kaso kulang-kulang lang ang channels nung walang digibox pero ok pa rin yung line-up na natira kasi meron pa ring HBO, Cinemax, etc.. I still have Destiny Cable as standby in case i-turn off na ng Sky yung signals without the digibox.

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011 at 01:04 PM »
i got the digibox to get the channels i wanted. i got 1 digibox and the 2 other locations straight coax into tv, surprisingly it still works with channels from silver plan but doesnt have channels from the higher plan with digibox

no complaints here...

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011 at 02:15 PM »
i got the digibox to get the channels i wanted. i got 1 digibox and the 2 other locations straight coax into tv, surprisingly it still works with channels from silver plan but doesnt have channels from the higher plan with digibox

no complaints here...

It should not be surprising, because analog broadcast is still there. Once they cut it, then you will only get garbled signal without digibox.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011 at 03:14 PM »
sinubukan ko na digibox on my room sa sala wala pero mas madming open na channels dun sa walang digibox and mas malinaw  ;D

It should not be surprising, because analog broadcast is still there. Once they cut it, then you will only get garbled signal without digibox.

kelan ba sila mag all digital?

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011 at 10:01 PM »

ah okay, i though that when you upgrade to a digibox you must get digibox for the rest of the tvs... thats why i was surprised that non digibox tv in my place still had broadcast

why or when do you think they would cut the analog broadcast in my place?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011 at 10:06 PM by mandyb »

Offline pentium4

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM »
sky is now on mixed signal transmission on some areas
di kasi biro mag switch to digital with the current hardware installed.
they have some channels still on analog format and some are already on digital that requires the digibox.

that's why it still working direct to TV but not all channels.

they will switch to digibox 100% once upgrades has been done.

Offline jason13

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM »
whatever you call it, you still pay for the 2nd box.
actually you're paying for the box and not the subscription for the said plan, since if you say that plan780 then you pay subscription fee on the 2nd box as P250 only. that is not correct.

it should be the other way around, your subscription is free but you pay for the box @ P250 per month.
otherwise, if you say it is subscription, then you should be paying P780 and P780 for the 2nd box.

how will you say it is a free upgrade when in fact your monthly fee increased from the current P460 to P780?
(this applies for provincial subs)

That is not the case for Sky, 250 is still the fee for the TV extension regardless of your plan and its not the fee for the digibox. The digibox is free unlike Cignal which charges what, 6k each for the 2nd and 3rd HD Box or 2990 for the SD box. The 250 extension fee is similar to Cignal's monthly outlet fee if you're in a lease plan.

The fee increase applies to Digital areas of Sky because you will gain access to new channels and not for the installation of the SD digiboxes.

Sky initially wanted to have their SD digiboxes on a rental basis to cover the cost of acquiring the boxes but they decided to gave it out for free to eventually, fully migrate their subscribers to their digital platform.

Offline pentium4

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011 at 04:35 PM »
if you have not inquired or haven't heard for a long time
HD box for Cignal under plan 990 or 1290 is P230 per month only. while SD box is only P100 per month. those are the extension boxes out let fee.

c'mon, I dont want to argue here... if sky is giving the extension or the digibox for free.. so why the need to charge for P250 per box? outlet fee for cignal and extension fee for sky is the same... they just differ on the name used to describe the rental for the digibox.

nothing is free nowadays (almost)... :)

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM »
so.. kahit ilan palang tv pwede?

magkano po monthly... ng sky? with upto how many cable box po kasama?

medyo big family kasi kami... we have 7 tvs in the house.. and only one of them has a digital tuner..

so...  rinig ko 999 ang bayad monthly.. so thats 999 only for all tvs?

we are using destiny now... QC.. ang labo...
hesitant ako lumipat dahil.. sa bayad.. siyempre if bawat tv isang box.. mahal aabutin

thanks

Offline pentium4

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011 at 05:37 PM »
go check with your local sky cable office or call them up for quotation

Offline hybrid

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2011 at 09:31 AM »
That's what I have now. Naka-splitter sa main then yung sa sala lang ang naka-digibox. Pinakiusapan ko na lang yung digibox installer na kung pwede pa yun. Itago ko na lang daw yung splitter para di kita. Kaso kulang-kulang lang ang channels nung walang digibox pero ok pa rin yung line-up na natira kasi meron pa ring HBO, Cinemax, etc.. I still have Destiny Cable as standby in case i-turn off na ng Sky yung signals without the digibox.

Pano mo nagawa yung naka splitter ka then naka digibox? I thought kelangan ng digibox every TV. Teach mo how to install it please...thanks

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM »
Actually before kami nilagyan ng digibox, naka 4-way splitter na yung sky connection ko. Yung isang output lang ang minaniobra nung naginstall ng digibox. You need the help of the skycable installer para i-switch on yung digibox signal. If you're already connected via digibox, I don't know if installing a splitter now at the main entry cable would have the same result and the digibox will still receive the digital input signals. Its up to you to try and gamble. Kung mawawala yung digibox signals with the use of the splitter, ibalik mo na lang sa dati at tanggalin mo na lang yung splitter. HTH.