Author Topic: EPOS EPIC SERIES  (Read 38352 times)

Offline sgxp

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
EPOS EPIC SERIES
« on: Mar 31, 2011 at 09:59 AM »
Sana may magdala nito dito.  Eto ang bibilin ko imbes na dyn o kaya h.  Smoother more extended highs, higher sensitivity, high power handling, pratty, the epos mid, mura, san ka pa?
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2011 at 07:22 AM by sgxp97 »
gumby>h80>mod. ip360 / yggy>joti>mod. hd650

Offline carlos888

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: EPOS EPIC SERIES
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM »
Soon . . . . .

Epic 2

Epic 5

Elan 15

;) ;)
Hana ML, Fidelity Research, Technics Sp-20, EAR-Yoshino, Plinius, Audience and WE cables.

Offline sgxp

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM »
Soon . . . . .

Epic 2

Epic 5

Elan 15

;) ;)

waw... if ever, consider one pair of Elan 15 sold... papahanap na sana ako ke edwin sa singapore eh...
gumby>h80>mod. ip360 / yggy>joti>mod. hd650

Offline Cjtjader

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Lux Lucis Volo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM »
Caloy,

Kelan dating ng mga Epos? ;) ;) ;)
Perspicuus ~ Quietus ~ Consilium ~ Patefacio

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM »
June 15 mga Sir. :)
Hana ML, Fidelity Research, Technics Sp-20, EAR-Yoshino, Plinius, Audience and WE cables.

Offline Cjtjader

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Lux Lucis Volo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM »
Perspicuus ~ Quietus ~ Consilium ~ Patefacio

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2012 at 08:11 PM »
June 15 mga Sir. :)

may pricelist na sa available na Epos?

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2012 at 09:30 PM »
may pricelist na sa available na Epos?

Also, what's the diff between the Elan 15 and the Epic 2?

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM »
PM sent muypogi

Offline vaportrail

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2012 at 04:42 PM »
Could you PM me price of Epos Epic 2. Xmas bonus prospect  ;D

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM »
PM sent

Offline ybrip

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 08:19 AM »
Sir,pa PM din pricelist..thanks!

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 10:50 AM »
Pa pm na din ng pricelist. TIA.

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 09:52 PM »
More pictures . . . .

Epic 2

Elan 35

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 10:01 PM »
Stereophile review of Epic 2 by Sam Tellig:

Roy Hall has his famous Music Hall MMF (Make Money Fast) turntables made for him in the Czech Republic.

Roy has also long been associated with Epos Limited, since a chap named Robin Marshall started the company in 1983. Their first product was the ES-14 loudspeaker, followed by the smaller ES-11. Both were largish, stand-mounted models, and both offered a lively, expressive, unstuffy sound. The speakers have always been fun to listen to, even if they lacked—and still lack—the refinement of some far more expensive speakers.

I was thinking of what Bill Conrad told me last month: that Nature seems to have a rule that says the more expensive a dielectric is, the better it sounds. Hence Teflon capacitors, the most twitchy to make, sound best of all.

Speaker drive-units are this way, too. The best ones are expensive, and are usually made in Europe, especially Scandinavia. European manufacturers are also making drivers in China—drivers that sometimes find their way into speakers that say "MADE IN THE EU" or "MADE IN USA." (The same thing has been going on for years in the furniture business.) The good news is that all speaker drivers have been getting better and better, and now some of the less expensive ones can come very close to the sound of their more costly counterparts.

Epos's Epic line of speakers are designed by Mike Creek's team in the UK. They're made in China, of course. At the moment, there are three Epics: a small minimonitor, the Epic 1; a larger stand-mount, the Epic 2; and a floorstander, the Epic 5. An Epic 4 is not forthcoming. What? You haven't noticed that there's no fourth floor in Chinese buildings?

The Epos Epic 2 ($799/pair) measures 16.4" (415mm) high by 8.32" (210mm) wide by 11" (280mm) deep and comes in your choice of Cherry or Black Ash vinyl veneer, over 18mm-thick MDF. The speaker requires stands—20? high would be about right. It has a 1" (25mm) soft-dome tweeter with a neodymium magnet and a 7" (179mm) polypropylene mid/woofer. The frequency range is given as 45Hz–25kHz, the sensitivity as 90dB, and the nominal impedance as 4 ohms. The Epic 2 is suitable for amplifiers ranging from 20 to 120Wpc, says the manufacturer: none other than designer Mike Creek, who is also the current owner of Epos.

Those who fondly remember early Epos speakers might recall them as sonically a little rough around the edges. They were some of the first speakers to have a metal-dome tweeter. Roy says this gave them uncommon clarity. At the time, and for the price, this was true. Still, they were perhaps better suited for certain types of music than others. They weren't my first choice for string quartets. But for the prices, there was no cause to quibble.

I don't remember the prices of the Epos speakers of 25 years ago. But at $799/pair, the Epic 2 may actually sell for less, in real dollars, than the ES-14 and ES-11 of yore and of lore. For the money, you get a much better speaker. Much, much, much better. That tizzy treble has been tamed—as has Roy Hall himself—yet the speaker retains something of the lively Epos quality. Like Roy (and Mike Creek), the Epic 2 is spry—a fun speaker to listen to.

Its "baffle removal tool," too, is fun. It looks like a long screwdriver rounded off at the tip. Insert it in a hole on the back of the speaker, give it a gentle nudge with the palm of your hand, and the standard cloth grille pops out of its frame. You can then replace it with the "audiophile baffle," which presents a plain front surface of painted MDF and leaves the drivers exposed. Both grilles and the removal tool are included.

I wouldn't keep popping off the grille. The audiophile baffle sounded better but leaves the drivers exposed, and an unprotected soft-dome tweeter is highly vulnerable. You might be careful, but your kids or the cleaning person might not be—not to mention those audiophile pals who feel compelled to touch any tweeter they see.

Mike said his aim, "when designing all the Epic speakers, was to give a really high sound quality at sensible prices by concentrating on quality components and careful design, but saving on elements which were not so crucial. Covering the cabinet with vinyl veneer and using plastic terminal panels saved a lot of money, which we have spent on very extensive bracing within the cabinet. We designed the drive-units to be very well behaved, without peaks, dips, delayed energy, or distortion, but made them on pressed-steel chassis to save cost." And by designing their own drivers, Epos is able to avoid a complicated crossover.

Creek also pointed to the large port on the back, and the way it flares to the inside and the outside, to achieve low-distortion, well-defined bass. Some British designers refer to chuffing; that is, when too much air poops from the port. The Epic 2 exhibited no sign of flatulence.

I listened with the Conrad-Johnson ET3 SE and Amtrans APCG-01S preamplifiers, and my Quicksilver Silver 88 monoblocks. For the purpose of evaluating the preamps, I thought I needed more resolving (and much more expensive) speakers, and turned to the Devore Fidelity Gibbon XL, which is about the same size as the Epic 2 and five times more costly: $3700/pair. The Gibbon is in a different league: Class A (Restricted Extreme LF) of our "Recommended Components."

But for $799/pair, what you get in the Epos Epic 2 is remarkable.

For starters, I found the Epic 2 very much at home with classical music. This is not to say they're for classical music only, but you know what I mean. They were lively, but at the same time nonfatiguing. It's a matter of tonal balance, and the Epic 2 nailed it. No edginess, no excessive brightness, no clarity achieved at the expense of brittle sound. I haven't heard the other models in the Epic series, but I'll bet there's a strong family resemblance. Epos now comes much closer to the classic British sound I associate with brands whose sonic signatures derive from the BBC's heritage: brands like Spendor and Harbeth. Not that Epos has turned excessively polite; you wouldn't expect that from Mike Creek, and certainly not from that scruffy Scot, Roy Hall.

Try as hard as I could, I could find nothing at all irritating about the Epic 2: nothing that kept reminding me I was listening to a pair of inexpensive, if not dirt-cheap, speakers. No obvious colorations. No excessive bloom or boominess in the bass. No top-end tizz.

I'll hazard a guess that the smaller Epic 1 stand-mounted speaker might be capable of a more holographic soundstage and more pinpoint imaging, but at the expense of bass extension. It would be fun to audition them side by side. Meanwhile, the Epic 2 was beautifully balanced, as I said. The pair of them was capable of reproducing a very wide, deep soundstage and precise imaging. I heard air aplenty. And I don't mean port pooping.

Still, there are limits to what a manufacturer can offer for $799. What Epos has done in the Epic 2 is minimize the effects of those limits through clever driver design, a well-braced cabinet, and an overall speaker design that has been well thought out. So many speakers strike me as hastily or too casually conceived: not half-assed, but half-heartedly made in a hurry, to be replaced by something equally mediocre in two years' time.

I didn't rush this review, partly because I was so enjoying the Epic 2s, and partly to rile Roy, who tried to get me into a race with Bob Reina, who's reviewing the Epic 4—oops, the Epic 2—in a future issue.

"Bob takes his time," Roy told me.

"Yes," I replied; "he's a thoughtful reviewer."

And the Epic 2 is a thoughtful speaker.

There must be some way to rattle Roy. I racked my brains, or what remains of them. Then I hit on an idea. I would use the new Rega Brio integrated amplifier, just arrived, with the Epic 2. Serves Roy right for not supplying a Creek. It proved a swell combination—as did the Eposes and my LFD IV LE integrated.

I'll rile Roy some more by pointing out how good Musical Fidelity's M1 series of electronics sounded with the Eposes. Maybe you need a Musical Fidelity M1 CDT CD transport and M1 DAC to know how good the Epos is. In all seriousness, I think you could do just fine with a CD player and integrated amplifier from Creek or Music Hall. The Creek ethos is like the Epos ethos: build high-quality products without extravagance for those who love their 'umble-pie eye-fye.—Sam Tellig
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2012 at 10:04 PM by carlos888 »

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 10:03 PM »
Stereophile review of Epic 2 by Bob Reina:

Roy Hall of Music Hall Audio, US importer of Epos loudspeakers, called me a while back to tell me about Epos's new Epic line: three affordable speakers positioned to provide greater performance for the money than Epos's more expensive M models. Designer Mike Creek's design goal for the Epics was to reduce the cosmetic costs of the cabinets, and thus free up more of the speaker's manufacturing costs to be dedicated to sound quality.

Of the three Epics, Hall suggested I review the middle model, the Epic 2 bookshelf, which, at $799/pair, he thought represented the best sound quality per dollar. In his words, "Tell them it's great craping value for the money." I've reviewed three Epos M-series speakers in Stereophile: The M5 in April 2005, the M16i in June 2008, and the M5i in February 2011. I was anxious to get a pair of Epic 2s to hear how they stacked up.

Design
Given Mike Creek's stated design objective of cutting costs in cosmetics, I expected to see a brace of ugly ducklings when I removed the Epic 2s from their box. To my surprise, the speakers were quite comely in Cherry (Black Ash is also available), and though the cabinet lacks the sexily rounded corners of the Epos M5i, I found the Epic 2 attractive in a Harbeth-LS3/5A-British monitor sort of way. In fact, when I dropped the speakers off at Music Hall to be reboxed and sent to John Atkinson for measuring (UPS had destroyed the original cartons), I commented to Roy Hall that I thought the speaker's wood veneer quite attractive. "It's not wood veneer," he replied; "it's vinyl." My jaw dropped. I'd thought the Epic 2's finish comparable to the wood-finished M5i's.

The two-way, rear-ported Epic 2 has a 1" fabric tweeter—the first soft dome ever developed by Epos. With its high-temperature, ferrofluid-cooled voice-coil and shielded neodymium magnet, this tweeter is designed to produce high output levels for extended periods. The speaker also has a new 7" woofer with a polypropylene cone and a bullet-shaped dustcap. The woofer is loaded at low frequencies with a large-diameter port, this flared at both ends to minimize turbulence. The crossover includes second-order filters, metal-oxide resistors, and polypropylene capacitors. Air-core inductors are used for the tweeter, and an oversize, laminated-iron–core inductor for the woofer. Two pairs of gold-plated input terminals provide for biwiring. The Epic 2 has a specified sensitivity of 90dB but is said to be capable of handling high amounts of power; Epos recommends pairing it with amplifiers in the 20–120Wpc range.

Finally, Epos has done something unique with their speaker grilles. The Epic 2 comes with not a removable grille but a removable front baffle. Using a handy tool (provided), the customer can switch between a grilleless baffle and one with a grille permanently affixed. I thought the sounds of the speaker with and without grilles were very close, though I slightly preferred the marginally increased detail I could hear when the grilles were gone. I placed the Epic 2s on Epos's own ST35 stands, which were originally designed for the M5 and M5i.

Listening
The Epic 2's warm, inviting, detailed, uncolored presentation of all midrange textures got me mining my collection of original mono LP pressings of classic jazz vocal recordings. Doris Day's voice was silky, rich, holographic, and voluptuous in her renditions of "It's Magic," from Greatest Hits (LP, Columbia CL 1210), and "That Old Feeling," from Day Dreams (LP, Columbia CL 624). I compared Day's take on the latter tune with Frank Sinatra's on his album That Old Feeling (LP, Columbia CL 902). The Epic reproduced the lower region of Old Blue Eyes' voice with body, delicacy, and no trace of unnatural chestiness. However, the upper end of Tony Bennett's range in "Rags to Riches," from his Greatest Hits (LP, Columbia CL 1229), sounded quite different. Bennett's voice didn't sound less natural than Sinatra's—both were completely uncolored. Rather, the Epos's resolution of detail was such that it was very easy to hear how the Columbia engineers had bathed Bennett's voice in excessive reverb, while keeping Sinatra's almost bone dry. Doris Day's voice was presented somewhere in between.

The Epos's ability to unravel subtle low-level dynamic articulations made it an impressively realistic transducer of unique vocal phrasings. Laura Nyro's tremendous dynamic and frequency ranges in "Eli's Coming," from her Eli and the Thirteenth Confession (LP, Columbia CS 9626), was reproduced by the Epic 2 in all its dramatic, bellowing glory. The Epos also revealed every nuance of Lee Michaels' dynamic phrasing in his unaccompanied introduction, on Hammond B-3, to "Stormy Monday," from Lee Michaels (LP, A&M SP 4199).

The Epic 2 unraveled quite of bit of high-frequency detail from well-recorded music of all genres, but never felt bright, blunted, or constrained in the top two octaves. Organist Gerd Zacher's interpretation of Gyîrgy Ligeti's Volumina (LP, Deutsche Grammophon 2543818) pushes the limit of the pipe organ's timbral, frequency, and dynamic ranges, and the upper harmonics of the highest-register pipes sounded pristine and airy even during the most dissonant passages. Jim McGuinn's arpeggiated solo on Rickenbacker electric 12-string guitar in the Byrds' cover of Pete Seeger's "The Bells of Rhymney," from Mr. Tambourine Man (LP, Columbia/Sundazed LP 5057), sounded appropriately jangly and airy, with every transient preserved intact. And in "(She's in a) Bad Mood," from the early Sonic Youth album Confusion Is Sex (LP, SST 096), the interplay between Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo's just-tuned Fender Jazzmaster guitars was preserved with all upper harmonic resonances intact, even at volume levels exceeding 95dB. The Epos's high-frequency purity also made it a very realistic reproducer of brass instruments. Liam Sillery's trumpet in "Tristan's Way," from his Priorité (CD, OA2 Records 22082), was reproduced in holographic burnished brass with all phrasing intact, his instrument floating on a bed of air—just as I've heard him in concert.

The Epic 2's low end was quite impressive. I whipped out an album I used to test speakers when I shopped for my first high-end stereo back in 1978: Stanley Clarke's Journey to Love (LP, Nemperor NE 457). "Silly Putty" showcases some dramatic interplay between drummer Steve Gadd and Clarke, the leader playing melody and bass lines simultaneously on his Alembic electric bass. Clarke's bass lines and Gadd's bass drum were very easy to separate without a trace of coloration, loss of clarity, or bass overhang. On the acoustic side, Lonnie Plaxico's double bass in "Strange Fruit," from Cassandra Wilson's New Moon Daughter (LP, Blue Note 837183 1), was clean and woody, with plenty of punch. For pure electronic bass, Lady Gaga's rapid-fire bass synth in "Judas," from Born This Way (CD, Streamline B0015373-02), was slammin' and, at levels above 95dB, literally shook the floor. For pure headbanging drama, however, I cued up my favorite heavy-metal tune from the 1960s, Vanilla Fudge's arrangement of the Supremes' "You Keep Me Hangin' On," from Vanilla Fudge (LP, Atco SD 33-224). It was the perfect body-twitching complement to the wine party I was hosting at my summer house.

What most impressed me about the Epic 2 was how much of a floorstander's bass extension and dramatic high-level dynamic performance it had. Of the several dozen affordable speakers I've reviewed for Stereophile over the years, most have been easily categorizable as either a bookshelf or a floorstander: Each category has its own, unmistakable presentation. However, had I listened to the Epic 2 blindfolded, I'd have bet a considerable amount of money that I was hearing a larger, floorstanding speaker.

I was also impressed by the degree to which so affordable a bookshelf speaker could resolve the inner details of well-recorded classical music. In Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time (UK LP, EMI ASD 2470), Gervase de Payer's clarinet was open and airy, and the extended upper-range harmonics of Erich Gruenberg's violin sounded natural, with the requisite bite. In the Allegro moderato of Stravinsky's Ebony Concerto, as performed by Pierre Boulez and his Ensemble InterContemporain (LP, Deutsche Grammophon 2431378), Michel Arrignon's staccato clarinet lines blended perfectly with the air of the recorded acoustic.

Finally, I was impressed with how the Epos perfectly integrated the rhythmic parts of well-recorded R&B and rock music into coherent, unified wholes. In "Time Is Tight," from Booker T. & the MGs' Greatest Hits (LP, Stax MPS-8505), the rhythm section chugged along in toe-tapping splendor. And "Freedom Rider," from Steve Winwood's Winwood (LP, United Artists UAS-9964), had my hips bouncing during Chris Wood's saxophone solo the same way they did when I first heard this song on Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die, when that album was released in 1970.

The tune that put the entire Epic 2 package together for me was "Yulunga (Spirit Dance)," from Dead Can Dance's Into the Labyrinth (LP, 4AD DAD-3013). The track opens with delicate, gradually building percussion over a big, airy, atmospheric presentation of the group. In linear fashion from ppp to fff, the music gradually crescendos to a dramatic climax; as it became busier and more cacophonous, the Epic 2 kept every transient intact, and the band a coherent whole. The total effect was captivating, with an immediate presence in the listening room that I've heard only from more expensive floorstanding speakers—or at live performances.

Comparisons
I compared the Epos Epic 2 ($799/pair) with the Nola Mini ($799/pair when last offered) and the NHT Classic 3 ($800/pair). But I most eagerly awaited the opportunity to compare the Epic 2 with Epos's own M5i ($899/pair), given the role that the M5i and its predecessor, the M5, have played in my listening in recent years. Although I reviewed the M5 and M5i very favorably in Stereophile, these speakers mean even more to me than those reviews implied. Although I always have several affordable speakers lying around the house, whenever I've felt like putting together an impromptu affordable system just to enjoy music, I've almost always grabbed the M5s or the M5i's. And when I've needed to review an affordable turntable, CD player, or integrated amp, the M5 or M5i has served as a reference to help me understand what was happening with the component being reviewed. To that extent, the M5/M5i has become, over the years, my reference for affordable loudspeakers.

I felt the Epos M5i's bass didn't go as deep as the Epic 2's, nor were its high-level dynamics as forceful and dramatic. I did, however, feel that the M5i resolved a bit more detail in the midrange and highs than did the Epic 2. The M5i's upper bass was also a touch cleaner, and its overall sound more delicate and subtle. However, I felt the Epic 2 was, overall, the better-balanced speaker. Both models had very revealing and extended highs, but the fact that the M5i's bass extension was shallower than the Epic 2's meant that the M5i's highs called more attention to themselves. I can't state a clear preference; Epos's Epic 2 and M5i are of comparable quality, with trade-offs that must be weighed against the individual buyer's listening priorities.

The Nola Mini had a richer, warmer lower midrange than the Epic 2, and comparable midrange detail. The Nola's bass extension was also comparable to the Epic 2's, but its highs were much less pure. Also, I felt that transients sounded cleaner through the Epos.

Finally, the NHT Classic 3's midrange was the equal of the Epic 2's in terms of timbre and detail; the NHT's highs weren't as refined, but were just as well balanced with the rest of the audioband as in the Epos. Bass extension and high-level dynamics, however, were superior through the Epic 2.

Summation
With the Epos Epic 2, Mike Creek has a hit on his hands. It's the perfect bookshelf speaker for someone who wants the bass and high-level dynamic performance of a floorstander, but either has cost constraints or a spouse who won't let anything bigger than a bookshelf into the house. And while some costs have been cut in the cosmetics department, the Epic 2 does not look cheap. I believe any Stereophile reader would be proud to have these attractive little beauties in his or her living room. Hats off to Mike Creek, who continues to raise the bar of sound quality per dollar in affordable loudspeakers.—Robert J. Reina

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 10:47 PM »
Caloy,

How much yung Epic 2?

thanks,

nbc
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline HasBro™

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Before you judge them, step into their shoes
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2012 at 12:28 PM »
bookmarked
Cayin A-50T
Monitor Audio RS1
AAudio Titus
Goldring GR1
Project Phono Box II
Grado SR80

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2012 at 06:57 PM »
How much po yung epic 2?

thanks
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline dimas

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2012 at 05:51 PM »
sir pa pm price list
epic 2
epic 5
elan
 8) 8) 8)

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 09:42 PM »
Was with an officemate last week and we were in the neighborhood of MCS, so we dropped by WATT HIFI to try to audition some speakers. 

We did the usual budget to more expensive route - PSB Image (B4 I think), to Mission MV8 to B&W 686 to Era Design 5. . .

Was actually looking for an Epic 2, since this was more our budget, but since they only had the more expensive Elan 15, we listened to it and came away very impressed. . .

Iba pa rin ang tunog ng old fashioned Brit big bookshelf speaker. Very punchy and accurate bass, and highs of the soft dome tweeter were not tiring to listen to.  The Elans were by far the best-sounding among the speakers we heard during that session, excluding of course the more expensive Spendors and Sonus Fabers in the high-end section of MCS.  And that was only with a Dared MP5 and a NAD 316bee as amplification.  Not quite as nice as my current big bookshelf Brit speakers, but for a planned second system, they sounded very good indeed.  It should probably sound better with higher-grade amps.

Now if only somebody carried the Epic 2, since both it and the Elan 15 are very similar in appearance, if not in specs (If you compare them side by side, Elan has bigger bass drivers by 0.3 inches, has real wood veneer and has solid internal wiring. Otherwise, both are almost exactly alike.).  If the Epic 2 sounds at least 90% of the Elan 15, you may have a potential winner here. And I may have found my speakers for a second system.  Sayang medyo out of budget yung Elan 15. . .

My current champion for the big bookshelf range is currently the Polk Rti A3. . . so I'm curious as to how the slightly more expensive Epic 2 (vs the Polk) will sound like.  I hope the retailers offer the Epic 2 for audition as well.   

It's weird that most of the posted reviews in the internet  (and on this thread) are for the Epic 2, but these speakers are nowhere to be found . . . as far as I know only WATT HIFI carries the new Epos line, and they said they only carry the higher-end Elan 15 (with no reviews, as far as I can tell).
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM by muypogi »

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2012 at 02:15 AM »
^^

Thank you Moi for the brief review of the Elan 15. We apologize thou for the unavailabity of the Epic series for now. The 3 sets that arrived were already sold out before it can reach the dealers(the 1st Epic 5 to arrive actually went to me). Rest assure that come end of this month or the 1st week of October both the Epic 2 and the Epic 5 will be available in all of our dealers, namely Toys For The Audio Boys, Watts HiFi, The Grey Market and The Showroom @ The Columns.

Also if I may add, other than the internal wiring & genuine wood veneer the difference of the Elan against the Epics are better internal bracing, improved crossover caps and cast aluminum basket for the mid bass drivers. However having heard both the difference is very minimal. Epics are worth every penny once you listened to it seriously. It has all the character and attributes of a very good speaker at its price point.  And I can personally vouch for it since i have been a happy owner of an Epic 5 for several months now.

Forget the careful matching ritual with these speakers. Having the new driver components design, the new Epos line up are more amplifier friendly than ever before. As you've said in the review -- even a dared MP-5 and a NAD 316 can make them sing. What more if you're using your nice amp Moi? ;)

Cheers. :)

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2012 at 02:47 PM »
Thanks. Looking forward to the Epic 2. Hope you can have one in The Grey Market, as this is more accessible to me. Will run it with a a Rega Elicit, so I hope to hear something pretty good when the Epic 2 is available for audition.

Looking at the specs, I'd guess they would sound very similar. Even the cabinet size is the same. Mas mabigat lang yung Elan 15.

Hope you have lots of stock on the cherry veneers as this seems the better looking finish.

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM »
Starting today you can now see and listen to the Epos Epic 2 at the following HiFi shops, namely:

1.  The Grey Market (White Plains, QC)
2.  Toys for the Audio Boys (Makati Cinema Square)
3.  Watts HiFi (Makati Cinema Square)

We will be adding 2 more dealers soon, watch out. Thanks! :)

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
EPOS EPIC SERIES
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM »
Starting today you can now see and listen to the Epos Epic 2 at the following HiFi shops, namely:

SRPs?

Offline ndotcom

• DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM »
Wow like to hear this ones and compare with my collection of Epos...

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM »
SRP for the Epics and Elan series:

Epic 1 -- 22K
Epic 2 -- 30K
Epic 5 -- 50K

Elan 15 -- 50K
Elan 30 -- 78K
Elan 35 -- 95K

All SRP's are already 10% cheaper than the published USD prices, and that does not include your dealers discount yet. :)

Thank you.

Offline carlos888

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM »

Offline jamants

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Collector
  • ticking away the moments that make up a dull day..
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 08:40 PM »
these babies are singing now at the grey market, paired with the fantastic VTL amplifier. Open daily 1130am-930pm.

www.thegreymarket.ph
please like us on facebook "the grey market"

Offline Mega_Matrix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Save The Sound!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM »

WARNING: Epos Epic 2 doesn't sound P30,000 bookshelf Speakers

......It sounded on P60,000 price range! Open sounding, great mids and very musical. If you are looking for entry-mid level bookshelf speakers Epic 2 won't disappoint you. Listen to it :)