Author Topic: Why do you buy orig?  (Read 65776 times)

Offline jpadua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Why do you buy orig?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 01:08 PM »
Quality? I think there's no diff between the orig and the peyk except on DTS coded discs - parang hindi kuha completely ng peyk ang DTS coding... that's why I buy orig!!!

Actually there is a difference in quality, to test, play and compare the "peyk" and an Orgiinal copy, using a software DVD player, there is a setting wherein you can display the actual encoding of the disc, it will show you the bitrate.  And also if you view the disc with your computer you will be able to see the compression of the picture since a computer monitor has a higher resolution than a standard TV (740x480 interlaced).

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 01:26 PM »
Quality? I think there's no diff between the orig and the peyk except on DTS coded discs - parang hindi kuha completely ng peyk ang DTS coding... that's why I buy orig!!!

There’s a very big difference in video quality. Even without the bitrate figure, you can notice with your bare eyes that the difference is evident. I have Gladiator DVDs (1 is original and the other is p*copy), and you can see that the original is very clear, bright and detail, especially in the dark scenes.

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 01:30 PM »
my... what good eyes you have  ;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 02:01 PM »
my... what good eyes you have  ;D

In most cases, having DVD playback on a standard TV, video compression artifacts are barely noticed, if you use a high quality display HD, or Projection TV, Plasma, and Front Projectors,  naturally you get a bigger more blown up picture, making the details clearer, same goes for compression artifacts, they would be more evident on bigger TVs.

Although this is case to case with P* discs, some leave the video as is same as the original, but remove, special features, commentaries and other audio tracks to fit on a standard DVD-5.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2003 at 02:06 PM by jpadua »

Offline nicomd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 04:25 PM »
I just started collecting originals, I used to buy lots of pirated ones. The 4 most common reasons for buying orig are: Packaging, Audio-Video Quality, Intellectual Property Rights, and "Re-Sale" Value. For me, the most significant is the last one ("re-sale"). Let's tackle them one by one:

1. Packaging - No doubt packaging is a lot better with original DVDs, but...would you pay additional 500-800 pesos just for packaging?... Let's move on.

2. Audio-Video Quality - Yup, there IS A difference. it actually depends on what set-up you have. If you have surround sound and widescreen TV, you can see the difference... But then, some pirated DVD5s are very close copies of the original, especially the MCD copies of shorter films (less than 100 minutes). Furthermore, if you get a pDVD9, mataas din ang bitrate and almost no difference with the original. So this reasoning wasn't enough to convince me.

3. Intellectual property rights - Much has been said about this, but ask yourself "Have you ever photocopied a page from any book in your life?" If you haven't then you deserve an award. If you have, then let's stop being so self-righteous and admit that we are all guilty of piracy in one form or another. As long as people think practical, we cannot stop this. As Morpheus would say, "Welcome to the real world."

4. "Re-Sale" Value - Well, this is what finally convinced me. After logging in to this site, I realized that DVDs are just like comicbooks or NBA trading cards. They are collector's items and can be re-sold. If you get tired of watching or if you need some fast cash, you can always sell them at 100 or 200 pesos less than the price you bought it. Some DVDs can even be sold at a much higher price (e.g. Ultimate Jordan). And if you get to buy a second hand DVD at a bargain, you can even sell it slightly higher after watching it once. He-he. Unfortunately, yung pirated, di mo pwede ibenta.

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 04:47 PM »
<SNIP>4. "Re-Sale" Value - <SNIP> Unfortunately, yung pirated, di mo pwede ibenta.

Final answer?  :P

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 08:47 PM »
I buy original and pirated DVDs ;)

reasons why I buy original titles:
lots of extra features, a/v quality, If I really love the movie or the movie has a sentimental value kahit barebones basta orig, if the movie is included on dvdangle's "must see dvd" list siyempre dapat orig din ;D

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 18, 2003 at 08:50 AM »
I buy original and pirated DVDs ;)

reasons why I buy original titles:
lots of extra features, a/v quality, If I really love the movie or the movie has a sentimental value kahit barebones basta orig, if the movie is included on dvdangle's "must see dvd" list siyempre dapat orig din ;D

eto ang sprite drinker!  :)
same here. pag tops sa list ng imdb and wsr - they should be original! walt disneys should be original. DTS discs should be original...
magpakatotoo ka  8)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 18, 2003 at 10:03 AM »
3. Intellectual property rights - Much has been said about this, but ask yourself "Have you ever photocopied a page from any book in your life?" If you haven't then you deserve an award. If you have, then let's stop being so self-righteous and admit that we are all guilty of piracy in one form or another. As long as people think practical, we cannot stop this. As Morpheus would say, "Welcome to the real world."

The unauthorized reproduction of one page from a book is not necessarily illegal.

Section 187 of RA 8293 (Intellectual Property Code) states:

Section 187. Reproduction of Published Work. -

187.1. Notwithstanding the provision of Section 177, and subject to the provisions of Subsection 187.2, the private reproduction of a published work in a single copy, where the reproduction is made by a natural person exclusively for research and private study, shall be permitted, without the authorization of the owner of copyright in the work.

187.2. The permission granted under Subsection 187.1 shall not extend to the reproduction of:

(a) A work of architecture in the form of building or other construction;

(b) An entire book, or a substantial part thereof, or of a musical work in graphic form by reprographic means;

(c) A compilation of data and other materials;

(d) A computer program except as provided in Section 189; and

(e) Any work in cases where reproduction would unreasonably conflict with a normal exploitation of the work or would otherwise unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests of the author.

Hence, the unauthorized reproduction by a natural person (i.e.: not a corporation, registered partnership/association, etc.) of an unsubstantial portion of a book in a single copy exclusively for research and private study is not prohibited.

However, nicomd has raised a good point, and I'm sure we all got it.  I, for one, agree with him.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2003 at 10:06 AM by barrister »

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 18, 2003 at 10:13 AM »
why do you think IT's fluorishing [thriving is an understatement kasi!]? kasi me mga KUMIKITA! kahit sa singapore, indonesia at malaysia, ang lakas NIYAN!!!

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 18, 2003 at 12:14 PM »
eto ang sprite drinker!  :)
same here. pag tops sa list ng imdb and wsr - they should be original! walt disneys should be original. DTS discs should be original...
magpakatotoo ka  8)

umiinom din po ako ng H20, Coke, Milo...he! he! he! ;D ;D ;D

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 18, 2003 at 01:16 PM »
corny pero honest  ;D

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 06:00 PM »
I buy orig DVDs (R1 and R3s) for some or combination of ff reasons:

(1)  I like the title a lot

(2)  Classics, animation and Titles that I feel (confirmed by internet reviews) are and can be considered classics and can benefit next generations. (until HD-DVD comes along)

(3)  Mas magandang packaging (except most Viva and some new Magnavision titles on sale)

(4)  Titles with DTS tracks, Superbit rekeases

(5)  Double disc releases (wala atang peyk na double disc)

(6)  Hindi available sa underground, hehe ;D

Pag naiisip ko yung HD-DVD will come to us in 5 years time, parang hindi worth getting origs as an investment.   Palagay ko pag may HD-DVD na, yung second hand DVD origs will sell for 20 pesos na lang each. Exchge rate: $1 to P80)

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 06:11 PM »
I buy orig DVDs (R1 and R3s) for some or combination of ff reasons:

(1)  I like the title a lot

(2)  Classics, animation and Titles that I feel (confirmed by internet reviews) are and can be considered classics and can benefit next generations. (until HD-DVD comes along)

(3)  Mas magandang packaging (except most Viva and some new Magnavision titles on sale)

(4)  Titles with DTS tracks, Superbit rekeases

(5)  Double disc releases (wala atang peyk na double disc)

(6)  Hindi available sa underground, hehe ;D

Pag naiisip ko yung HD-DVD will come to us in 5 years time, parang hindi worth getting origs as an investment.   Palagay ko pag may HD-DVD na, yung second hand DVD origs will sell for 20 pesos na lang each. Exchge rate: $1 to P80)

;D
hehehe. i like that part about the hd-dvd... anyway, that's life. old stuff remains your collection. dami ko ngang LD sa bahay eh. one thing that's cool with the LD is the size and all are originals  8) My wife and I actually treasures them LP sized video discs  ;D
i think we have the same criteria for buying originals. for talkies, we usually get original VCDs na lang...

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #44 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 06:40 PM »
Expect the Foreign Exchange to be P59 to $1. Our currency devaluates a peso per year.

I am actually waiting for the time when people will start dumping there original DVD box sets. Yung tipong tig $50-100+ ngayon pero tig P20 5 years from now. :)

That's why I love buying pre-owned original discs. You get a bargain and you know what you're buying is in good condition because most of us know how to treat our DVDs right!

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 07:30 PM »
Expect the Foreign Exchange to be P59 to $1. Our currency devaluates a peso per year.

I am actually waiting for the time when people will start dumping there original DVD box sets. Yung tipong tig $50-100+ ngayon pero tig P20 5 years from now. :)

That's why I love buying pre-owned original discs. You get a bargain and you know what you're buying is in good condition because most of us know how to treat our DVDs right!

Good buying tactic, I might do that one of these days  na rin.

I hope you're right on the devaluation.  Naisip ko lang between 1997 and 2002, 5 years, nag-devalue ang peso from 27 to 52, almost 100%.  Hopefully wala nang another currency crises. ;D

Anyway, back to topic,  come 2008, if we're still alive, magkaka-interest ka pa kaya sa mga old DVD issues, say a Toy Story Box set, kahit P20 na lang, if there's already a Super Duper Deluxe Director's Cut Special Commemorative Anniversary Platinum ek-ek edition Toy Story boxed set in glorious HD-DVD?  Just curious. :)

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 07:37 PM »
for talkies, we usually get original VCDs na lang...

I was into orig VCDs too for talkies and so-so titles.  About 6 months into DVDs i was still buying VCDs especially when Astro slashed the prices to P150 each.

Until I discovered the DVD peyks.  ;D

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 09:33 PM »
Good buying tactic, I might do that one of these days  na rin.

I hope you're right on the devaluation.  Naisip ko lang between 1997 and 2002, 5 years, nag-devalue ang peso from 27 to 52, almost 100%.  Hopefully wala nang another currency crises. ;D

Anyway, back to topic,  come 2008, if we're still alive, magkaka-interest ka pa kaya sa mga old DVD issues, say a Toy Story Box set, kahit P20 na lang, if there's already a Super Duper Deluxe Director's Cut Special Commemorative Anniversary Platinum ek-ek edition Toy Story boxed set in glorious HD-DVD?  Just curious. :)

If I recall correctly our currency started to devalue in the late 40s and early 50s once we've attainted indepedence from the US and slowly declined to it's present level. We've been indepent for over 50 years so halos P1 to 1 year. I honestly dislike this trend as it makes imported basic necessities expensive. Basic commodities like fuel, food & DVDs. :)

I expect to be alive for most of this century unless something bad happens. Nasa dugo namin tumagal hangang 90s even if we smoke. ;)

I would still be interested with the Star Trek TV episode Season boxsets. Those things cost $100 per season. If I get them for P100 I'd be soo happy! :) Yung resolutiion ng TV ngayon 480i which is DVD and not 1080p. :)

For movies I'd insist on HD-DVD 1080i/p resolution as by that it'll be as cheap as SDTVs and DVD players and media.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #48 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 10:58 PM »
a bit of digression, i wonder when the day will come when there is one common currency so we don't have to deal with inequalities of currency fluctuations...

not sure what the economists in the house would say but is that feasible?

i thought currency drift really became significant when currencies were taken out of the gold peg.

i wish we can do a malaysian approach of putting a currency peg.

in the end, more and more we will end up having to shell more just to enjoy some of the original commodities like dvds and electronics...

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 01:18 AM »
OT:

The problem of having a single universal worldwide currency is you'd loose your control over our nations financial destiny. I remember that a S. American country ditched its currency for the US and it didnt do the country any good and yet we have the Euro of the EU where in it greatly eased the problems of having multiple currencies.

Eventually we could see ASEAN adapt a regional currency. It could be a step towards the right or wrong direction.

Expect prices of single or double disc DVDs to go down. The media companies need to compete with the pirates & as time passes on more people will have players & will demand more DVD thus pushing down the prices even further.

that's how I see it anyways.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 10:21 AM »
I would still be interested with the Star Trek TV episode Season boxsets. Those things cost $100 per season. If I get them for P100 I'd be soo happy! :) Yung resolutiion ng TV ngayon 480i which is DVD and not 1080p. :)

If i'm not mistaken, those made-for TV episodes and movies are taken by digital cameras set to the highest possible resolution.  No conversions are made in the transfers to DVD like Bug's Life and Toy Story.  Unlike movies where optical cameras are still used and conversion to digital is taken prior to any media transfers.

Hence, even TV episodes at this time can go 1080p for HD-DVD in the future.

I read elsewhere that a 1080p HDTV will make existing DVDs look garbage by comparison to HD-DVD.  The difference would be like VCD vs DVD today.

My point:  Once HD-DVDs become a reality and even when either SACD or DVD-A becomes mature, we'd all be stuck with a library of original CDs and DVDs without much resale value or few takers in the pre-owned market.  The situation of LPs and turntables today in the midst of the digital age would be heaven compared to 5 years down the road for CDs and DVDs.  

Don't get me wrong, am not advocating veering away from origs.  But i can't help thinking the new formats, coming within the next 3-5 years, will make life for an audio-video phile like me very exciting, if not financially poorer.  And people who patronized the peyks might look back and claim they had better wisdom and forsight than those who went for origs.

So the argument that origs can command resale value is only valid while DVDs still reign supreme.  Expecting the same demand once HD-DVDs set in is something else.  

Well, this is one of those things when proving I am wrong would be most welcome.

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2003 at 10:46 AM by av_phile »

Offline nicomd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 10:33 AM »
Based on the last few posts, it seems that we are not answering the question "Why do we buy orig?", but instead offering why we should do the contrary. Since I am just a new collector, I'm getting more discouraged with what I'm reading. Does that mean that with the advent of HD-DVDs, it's NOT WORTH collecting the present orig DVDs?

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 10:49 AM »
Based on the last few posts, it seems that we are not answering the question "Why do we buy orig?", but instead offering why we should do the contrary. Since I am just a new collector, I'm getting more discouraged with what I'm reading. Does that mean that with the advent of HD-DVDs, it's NOT WORTH collecting the present orig DVDs?

You've hit my present dilemna.

But rather than stop buying origs, I'd dispose of those I buy after enjoying then, rather than keep them for long,  while the demand is there,  before HD-DVDs become a mature medium in the Phils.

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2003 at 10:56 AM by av_phile »

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 10:55 AM »
Like I've said before, anything that is obsolete becomes your collection. Don't get too hung up with what's coming in the future. After HD-DVD... holographics?! Sheesh! Take one day at a time, dudes!!! I will continue to buy them DVDs/VCDs and enjoy them today while I'm still alive, if it comes out in HD-DVD, then, I'll buy them again, if I'm still alive and 'can afford'! Life goes on...

Being an audiophile and a videophile myself, wala pa ring tatalo pag nakanood ka ng isang malupit na film na kahit pipitsuging display at earphones ang gamit mo eh mahigpit ang grip niya sa iyo... yan ang CRIMSON TIDE... one damn very good movie for me!!!

off topic na naman :P

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 11:04 AM »
Like I've said before, anything that is obsolete becomes your collection. Don't get too hung up with what's coming in the future. After HD-DVD... holographics?! Sheesh! Take one day at a time, dudes!!! I will continue to buy them DVDs/VCDs and enjoy them today while I'm still alive, if it comes out in HD-DVD, then, I'll buy them again, if I'm still alive and 'can afford'! Life goes on...

yup, you're right. that's life, expecially for collectors like us.  Now i can understand why i look at my grandparent's house as a museum.  Eventually, my kids' children will look at mine as one, too.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 11:05 AM »

Being an audiophile and a videophile myself, wala pa ring tatalo pag nakanood ka ng isang malupit na film na kahit pipitsuging display at earphones ang gamit mo eh mahigpit ang grip niya sa iyo... yan ang CRIMSON TIDE... one d**n very good movie for me!!!

off topic na naman :P

Yeah! I totally agree with Dogears  ;D I mean its just like, computers or PCs you know they are always going to develop something faster or better, but that would not be a point if you need a computer now, if you hesistate since may lalabas na mas mabilis you'll end up without a computer. (kasi naman never ending ang upgrade ng technology) so Enjoy what you can afford now.  Enjoy what DVD has to offer since thats whats available now.  when HD-DVD is availabe then start a new collection, I'm sure DVD players of the future would be backwards compatible with older DVDs just like how a DVD would read a CD, so your current DVD collection wont go to waste.  

But if you want something close to HD-DVD with using current DVDs... heheheh here I go again... HTPC Baby!!!  HTPC is currently the only way to get as close to near HD quality without the use of special DVDs.  Not really HD but close enough for you to see a difference.  Like night and day...

sorry off topic  :P
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2003 at 11:14 AM by jpadua »

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 12:30 PM »
If i'm not mistaken, those made-for TV episodes and movies are taken by digital cameras set to the highest possible resolution.  No conversions are made in the transfers to DVD like Bug's Life and Toy Story.  Unlike movies where optical cameras are still used and conversion to digital is taken prior to any media transfers.

Hence, even TV episodes at this time can go 1080p for HD-DVD in the future.

I read elsewhere that a 1080p HDTV will make existing DVDs look garbage by comparison to HD-DVD.  The difference would be like VCD vs DVD today.

My point:  Once HD-DVDs become a reality and even when either SACD or DVD-A becomes mature, we'd all be stuck with a library of original CDs and DVDs without much resale value or few takers in the pre-owned market.  The situation of LPs and turntables today in the midst of the digital age would be heaven compared to 5 years down the road for CDs and DVDs.  

Don't get me wrong, am not advocating veering away from origs.  But i can't help thinking the new formats, coming within the next 3-5 years, will make life for an audio-video phile like me very exciting, if not financially poorer.  And people who patronized the peyks might look back and claim they had better wisdom and forsight than those who went for origs.

So the argument that origs can command resale value is only valid while DVDs still reign supreme.  Expecting the same demand once HD-DVDs set in is something else.  

Well, this is one of those things when proving I am wrong would be most welcome.
We're drifting off topic but here goes. HD cameras & media didn't exhist during the 80s & most of the 90s so recorded at 480i. The only way old TV shows can be bumped up to HDTV is if it were recorded using conventional film as it has unlimited resolution.

Do not worry about your DVD collection being obsolete. Expect the format to stick around for another decade or so. Unlike LDs, DVDs are enjoying more popularity than VHS and we all know how long VHS lasted dont we? Until now VHS is still popular due to to its install base. Using that same line of logic expect the Studios to keep selling DVDs for at least another 10 years as consumers are stubborn to switch formats and there is still unresolved controversies with the next standard format.

As someone on the list said. If you hesitate the world will pass you by & you havent watched your movies. :)

Offline dogears

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 01:35 PM »
But if you want something close to HD-DVD with using current DVDs... heheheh here I go again... HTPC Baby!!!  HTPC is currently the only way to get as close to near HD quality without the use of special DVDs.  Not really HD but close enough for you to see a difference.  Like night and day...

sorry off topic  :P

Good point...
Yes, it's the best way to go if you don't have the pesoses to get the progressive display. Dati pang ina-advocate ito sa VIDEO at WSR.

For HD naman, I've seen it already and your HTPC will not even come close! It's that good and its really a big leap from what DVD can hold right now!!
HTPC is cool! but HD is *&%$#!!! ;D You just have to see it  8)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #58 on: Jun 28, 2003 at 05:09 PM »
To others who are disheartened with the previous posts, DO NOT!  If you are a collector, continue on collecting those origs.  Whenever a new format comes out, restrain yourself from buying those old titles but buy those new and upcoming titles so hindi magkadoble doble ang collection mo.

For example...having Terminator 2 in VHS, VCD and DVD is uncalled for even if they hold back some special features to appear in a new collectors edition.  Don't tell me you are going to buy T2 on HD-DVD.  I just think of it as a marketing strategy lalo na kung maganda ang packaging.  Once you have a copy don't buy the same title on a new format.

This keeps you from spending more....

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 28, 2003 at 09:15 PM »
yup, mas ok yung orig. kaso ang worry ko lang, baka maging obsolete ito just like what happened to laser disc  :'(

laser discs were large, cumbersome and more prone to scratching than dvds. they were also prone to laser rot which is totally different from dvd rot (which seems to be the problem of the manufacturer rather than dvd itself). the performance gap between laser disc and dvds is exactly like the one between lps and cds. although dvhs and hdvd are superior to dvd, the gap isn't that large. also, improvements like hdtv and progressive scan dvd players can improve the viewing pleasure even more. dvds are here to stay for the long haul.