Author Topic: Why do you buy orig?  (Read 65668 times)

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Why do you buy orig?
« Reply #180 on: Dec 15, 2004 at 03:14 PM »
OMD ba or OMB?

Di ba Optical Media Board yung bagong VRB?  ::)

Back to topic...

Why do I buy orig? Replay value ng movie kung di ko type yung movie pdvd na lang.  But sometimes I discovered na maganda pala yung movie then thats the time na bibili ako ng original.  ;D

OMB ba ? Maybe. They were fast.  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: Dec 26, 2004 at 09:54 AM »
Used to collect P***d DVD's when I wasnt married yet. Me & my girlfriend would watch these DVDs on my 15 inch LCD monitor on my PC with simple surround setup. And life was so simple back then.... :)

Then we got married this year. She gave me a 50 inch RPTV for our wedding gift. I started to get irritated by the pixels I see from P**d DVDs. Then a few months ago, she allowed me to set up a home theater system.

Then my simple life.... changed.

I saw the HUGE difference between P***d & orig. The sights and sounds are spectacular!

PinoyDVD forums has helped me immensely in understanding the difference between the 2 as well.

Now I am for Orig, been addicted to collecting it since. More power to PinoyDVD!

Good thing is, wife is supportive...Hehe ;D

Pero ako na ang tagalaba ng damit  ;D (Jokes)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Dec 26, 2004 at 10:17 AM »
"Thrill of the Chase" & "DVD collecting is for the rich"...I read somewhere in this forum.

I am not rich at all and I work hard for everything I buy and I am proud of it. I also realized (and remembered) that I get motivated to work harder when I have an expensive hobby. And yes DVD collection is definitely a costly one.

I used to collect cards for Magic the gathering before the Asian currency crisis and it was an expensive hobby. I would buy Out of Print cards from the U.S. that cost 5-10k each. My collection reached a total value of over 200k (before the peso plunged to 50 plus). I was able to sell it for a profit before nalaos.

I guess its time to pump up the jam again ;D. Good thing there's this new hobby to motivate me to work harder. Anyway, its actually cheaper than that old hobby (this is called justifying..not motivating ;)).

So its all a matter of perspective: either be discouraged by it or use it for motivation.

You dont say "I cant afford it" but you say, "How can I afford it"
-Robert Kiyosaki "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" New York Times Bestselling book
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2004 at 01:16 PM by matz »

Offline reserved

• Apprentice
  • Who's welcoming me here, anyway?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 02:23 AM »
okay then... you are giving me wonderful ideas  ::) 

this is a nice thread for people like me who are trying to understand this "cost-prohibitive" hobby of my husband... 
"Film lovers are sick people." --Francois Truffaut

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #184 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 03:00 AM »
because I do not like watching dvds which simulate the experience of watching in a theater - laughter in the background, people walking across your line of site, etc...  ;D
I also had the bad experience of watching a very clear copy of Good Fellas... pagdating sa part where Joe Pesci was going to be "made," tumigil yung disc... kahit anong button i-press ko ayaw magforward even sa chapter selections, the scenes that came after would not play...  >:(

also, I watched the VCD of Linkin' Park Meteora which showed how the band worked really, really hard to create their Meteora album... writing, re-writing, recording, re-recording 100x, editing, etc... I always thought of artists and actors as a privileged bunch doing something very easy for millions of dollars... mahirap din pala ginagawa nila... ever since hindi na ako bumuli ng fake cd and dvd...  ;D

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #185 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 06:30 AM »
Kind of a hard question for me. Although all the  dvds I buy are orig, I dont think the difference between a pdvd and and orig dvd is huge enough to warrant the price difference between the two IMHO. In terms of audio and vidoe quality, It's almost the same especially if the source of the pdvd is the orig itself. I watched a couple of pdvds ( though I don't own it ) but I really don't see that much of a difference. And in terms of packaging, hindi na rin nagkakalayo ang dalawa. R3 cases are the same as the pdvd version. But for some reason, I still buy orig. Bakit kaya? Hindi rin naman ako "nagmamalinis" because I do own stacks of pdvd PS2 games. The best explanation would be the prestige that I get from owning all orig dvds. Coupled with my HT system at home, I's so nice to see na lahat ng dvds ko ay orig. There was even this one time when a dvd technician came over to our house to fix my player and then he saw my collection. Sabi niya " sir, ang gaganda ng kuleksyon niyo ah. ang mamahal nito ah puro orig. Ang yaman nyo sir!!! ;D
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline ryu

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 06:38 AM »
simply because I can afford one.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Koolkat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #187 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 06:46 AM »

Exactly. ;D ;D ;D
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 07:27 AM »
"Thrill of the Chase" & "DVD collecting is for the rich"...I read somewhere in this forum.

I am not rich at all and I work hard for everything I buy and I am proud of it. I also realized (and remembered) that I get motivated to work harder when I have an expensive hobby. And yes DVD collection is definitely a costly one.

I guess its time to pump up the jam again ;D. Good thing there's this new hobby to motivate me to work harder. Anyway, its actually cheaper than that old hobby (this is called justifying..not motivating ;)).

So its all a matter of perspective: either be discouraged by it or use it for motivation.

I agree. I'm not rich either but because of orig DVDs, I learn how to save money for something that I really want. I don't even have a HT setup yet but just the same I can't say enough about how much I like orig DVDs. I buy orig because of the packaging(though recently this only applies to R1), bonus features and optimum video and audio quality. I only have 36 orig DVDs, more than half of it I acquired through GCs , the Astro sale and good gestures from PinoyDVD marketplace sellers. It may not be a huge library yet but I'm proud of it and it serves as motivation to save my money on a hobby less dangerous than my previous alcoholism.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 09:40 AM »

Kewl! But I think for most of us, "afford" is a relative term . Take these examples:

1.) My uncle, big house in West Ghills, expensive HT setup with Lazyboys, no Rolex.
     My friend, lives in a condo, no HT, 6 rolex(s), 10 more 100k+ watches
2.)Another friend, businessman, uses a cheap b/w display cellphone.
    his employee, min. wage, camera phone, top of the line
3.) My Whirlpool stainless steel ref, 34k, will last for 10 yrs or more
      My sister's Sony Ericson S700, 32k, will last for 2 yrs at most before next upgrade
4.) Another friend asking me to go w/ them to tour Canada & US with my wife & blow 400k for the whole trip
      My response is no & I saved the money for HT & DVDs ;D & expenses for our new baby

Unless you just have too much money to burn :), I believe "afford" is a matter of priorities. Passion is a good term for this. If its your passion, you will be willing to spend for it. At first, I couldnt understand my friend with all his expensive watches, nor this min. wage employee with a top of the line cellphone. But neither did people understand me when I spent US400 (Php 25.00 exchange rate) for one rare Magic the Gathering card many years ago. So it all boils down to passion.

People laugh a lot when I give them comparison # 3. They say, Oo nga ano. Yun nga lang, di naman portable ang ref mo and di mo mapagyayabang  ;D

So if DVD collecting is our passion (politically correct or milder term for addiction)...we can afford it, if we prioritize it  :).

Peace  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 12:15 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 09:55 AM »
3.) My Whirlpool stainless steel ref, 34k, will last for 10 yrs or more
      My sister's Sony Ericson S700, 32k, will last for 2 yrs at most before next upgrade

Oh, well, as my sister would respond:

"Anong Paki mo? Eh gusto ko eh...." ;D ;D ;D

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #191 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 07:00 AM »
Its much more cheaper and has more sense of morality than collecting girls  ;D ;D ;D
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline ryu

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Dec 30, 2004 at 07:49 AM »
You're simply right "afford" is a relative term
and i meant it like a joke only.  ;)

Truth is, i can no longer afford one.  ;D ;D  ;D

Kewl! But I think for most of us, "afford" is a relative term .

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 04:05 AM »
the freebies like reprints of comic books, leaflets, booklets etc. more importantly, the warranty...
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #194 on: Jan 02, 2005 at 10:57 PM »
I watch my dvds with the subtitles on so I want the subtitles to be very accurate... we all know how the subtitles are with non-orig dvds... minsan nakakainis, minsan nakakatawa...  ;D

Offline ranran

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 06:46 PM »
I watch my dvds with the subtitles on so I want the subtitles to be very accurate... we all know how the subtitles are with non-orig dvds... minsan nakakainis, minsan nakakatawa...  ;D

i agree, sometimes when insomnia strikes, i watch without raising the volume and subtitles are important.  sometimes its just the BOX especially if it comes in really cool packaging!  :D

Offline psi_rover

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Feb 17, 2005 at 09:49 AM »
Ako naman, kaya bumibili ako ng pirated ay dahil ay nasusubaybayan ko ko yung development ng world cinema ng mas mabilis...

Dahil sa pirated, napanood ko yung Good Bye Lenin!, Dogville, Elephant, Talk To Her, Maria Full of Grace, Central Station, Cinema Paradiso, All About My Mother, Man Without A Past, 3-Iron, Oldboy, Barbarian Invasions at marami pang iba. Grabe naman kasi ang local distributors dito sa Pinas e, puro mainstream lang ang release, kung meron mang foreign/indie/art films, ay naku after 2 years pa lalabas at hindi pa lahat...

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 11:46 AM »
With the falling prices of DVD's these days, here is my opinion:

Watching a movie: P120-P130/ person

Eating out: P150-P300/ person

Fuel used: depends

Other factors: traffic, time, parking fees, etc.

Compared to:

Cost of a DVD:P299-P800.

Comfort of your own home/ home theater

Unlimited snacks & pause DVD when you want to have a bathroom break. Clean bathroom too, in case, you wanna..ya know... ;D

AND, you get to keep the DVD for future watching with guests, children, etc...

or you can even sell it. Thereby minimizing your cost for enjoying a movie.

;D PRICELESS  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 12:21 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 11:56 AM »
because I do not like watching dvds which simulate the experience of watching in a theater - laughter in the background, people walking across your line of site, etc...  ;D

sa vcd lang to diba?  ;D sa DVD din pala.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #199 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 12:26 PM »
1. Sayang naman ang investment sa HT kung P-DVD lang ang gagamitin. I think you can't get the most out of your investment kung di ka enjoy sa picture & sound quality.

2. Watching movies is very relaxing for me. I would not want the hassle of a P-DVD stopping in the middle of the movie (kainis yun and then di na siya magiging relaxing)  ;D

3. At least kapag nakahanap ako ng bagong hobby may value yung mga collection ko (But I doubt na ibebenta ko ito). I used to collect Tamiya's and kahit diko na siya ginagamit and takes a lot of space I still want to keep them, I guess this will also be true with my DVD's  ;D

4. And for some reason I can't explain. I can't stop buying orig DVD's lalo na kapag may sale even if I have lots of DVD's na diko pa nabubuksan  ;)

Offline fredrk

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #200 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 12:44 PM »
For collecting...

I found out that since pDVDs are cheap facsimiles of the real thing, some copies tend to "fade" over time.  I tried playing one recently and found that my dvd player couldn't read it anymore.  So...

I now buy originals only.   ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 01:54 PM »
1. Sayang naman ang investment sa HT kung P-DVD lang ang gagamitin. I think you can't get the most out of your investment kung di ka enjoy sa picture & sound quality.

2. Watching movies is very relaxing for me. I would not want the hassle of a P-DVD stopping in the middle of the movie (kainis yun and then di na siya magiging relaxing)  ;D

3. At least kapag nakahanap ako ng bagong hobby may value yung mga collection ko (But I doubt na ibebenta ko ito). I used to collect Tamiya's and kahit diko na siya ginagamit and takes a lot of space I still want to keep them, I guess this will also be true with my DVD's  ;D

4. And for some reason I can't explain. I can't stop buying orig DVD's lalo na kapag may sale even if I have lots of DVD's na diko pa nabubuksan  ;)

Agree! 100%.

#2 was funny :D, but it happened to me a couple of times from borrowed p-dvds

Also, a shelf of original DVDs looks cool  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 03:15 PM by DVDiva »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 02:19 PM »
The SALE fever from Warner and VIVA of late has renewed my DVD buying spree.  I must have incremented my orig collection by around 40 titles since May this year.  I think that's more than the orig titles I got for the last 2 years.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 03:15 PM by DVDiva »

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 10:09 PM »
Also, a shelf of original DVDs looks cool  :)

i wish i could buy one for my dvd's, the last time i tried buying one sa Sogo my wife reacted, bakit daw kapag cabinet para sa bag niya ayaw ko bumili pero sa dvd cabinet puwede  ;) Ooooops. Ended up buying na lang additional DVD's and place it sa side table ng bed namin  ;D

Offline ranran

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 10:16 PM »
nice one vtec!  anyway, i think one of the advantage of buying orig DVDs is that sometimes they have alternate endings which you can never see in a pDVD.  ;)

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 10:24 PM »
nice one vtec!  anyway, i think one of the advantage of buying orig DVDs is that sometimes they have alternate endings which you can never see in a pDVD.  ;)

:)  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2005 at 09:57 AM by vtec3 »

Offline cloudnine

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Apprentice
  • collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 09:18 AM »
yeah i like those alternate endings, and also with the bonus features and easter eggs on some

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 10:15 AM »
That was so funny sir vtec3  :D :D :D

Anyway, some pdvd have alternate endings, I saw some pdvd with alternate endings. A friend lent me one with deNiro, Geez, I forgot the title, but I didnt like the movie. It was a recent release and there was a child in the movie and they had a fight in a church. It had 4 alternate endings

Also, I noted this in some of the other threads that some pdvds had were noisier (great for HT) than their original counterparts. One example was Day After Tomorrow. I am not sure of AVP yet cuz I havent opened my original, but the pdvd was really loud and was testing the limits of the subs.