Author Topic: Local TV Stations dubbing English movies to Filipino...agree?  (Read 43432 times)

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
Re: TV5 dubbing English movies to Filipino...agree?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 19, 2011 at 05:51 PM »
naisingit pa talaga un willing willie...hahahaha ;D
malapit na  po....next week! magkakasama sama na naman po tau...sa hapunan... :D

Syempre naman. Alam ko kasi yung lang ang dahilan para bumisita ka sa topic na ito. Isang linggo na lang!  ;D

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #31 on: Apr 19, 2011 at 05:58 PM »
No, I don't agree.  ::)

I think we should bring back Sesame Street and have kids as early as possible learn the English language through this medium.  ;)

I remember Voltes V was dubbed in English and I think that didn't stop hundreds of thousands of kids during the Marcos era to like it and even learn words from the show --- like, electro magnetic top, let's volt-in, etc.  ;D

The Philippines economy is reaping the rewards of being able to have majority of its population capable of speaking in English. If we start to think that there is no connection in the long run, see how the likes of China, Vietnam and other can surely overtake us from attracting more direct investments whether this be in the field of BPO, knowledge centers and even the attraction to hire OFW's due to their English capabilities.

::)

This trend started with the evening newscast going Filipino and see how much sensationalism we get compared to the yesteryears of pure CNN / BBC like English newscasts.

:'(

But don't you think dubbing English programming into Filipino dialects will actually help us understand and speak English better?

Think about it. We're already taught English as a primary language in school. We watch an English movie dubbed in, say, Tagalog, we actually strengthen our understanding of both languages because people will get to understand western culture.

And to one-up your argument, I was told by some educators and businessmen that to truly succeed in this world, one doesn't need to learn English. It's actually Spanish and Chinese. Spanish, I don't really get. But I would agree on the Chinese part.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #32 on: Apr 19, 2011 at 07:56 PM »
I Also think they dubbed it in tagalog bec they just want to capture a bigger audience share :D and again i like it, if you dont have a cable subscription and just have local channels to watch then this is the wiser choice, compare nyo sa telenovelas ng 2 at 7 eh mas matino naman stories nitong hollywood movies na ito even if in tagalog ;)

Offline Hero33

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: Apr 19, 2011 at 10:22 PM »
Dubbing English movies in Tagalog to cater to a minority of English speaking audiences? I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense.

No, the masses in general, are not English speakers. More than 80 million Filipinos, however, understand English and are taught it as a primary language in  education, but they do not speak it in regular conversation. What we have is a hybrid of local dialects interspersed with English or Spanish phrases and terms.

Leaving the movie in English is fine. But therein lies the rub. To use what I said as an example, how do you explain fully to the common Filipino the phrase "therein lies the rub"? I'm telling you now, not that many know the usage of or what it simply means. And that line has been used in many TV shows and movies. Filipinos understand English in general, yes. But language is one thing, context is a whole other animal.

Having these movies dubbed in Filipino injects the cultural context of certain dialogues and their equivalents into the Filipino conception-- if done properly. It can be funny at times, but if we don't start now how else are we expected to evolve and refine the art?

Why not just subtitle? Well, even the Americans hate subtitled foreign movies. Hell, I hate subtitled movies and I just bear it for some foreign movies that I really want to watch.

I think someone already said the answer, let me just repeat it. Patriotism has nothing to do with this. Getting a larger market for advertisers, is. And that's a proven formula. Take newspapers for example. The big three (PDI, MB, PS) are all English language publications. But they have their own Tagalog tabloid equivalents. English only FM radio station's also have their AM counterparts. Even FM has a mix of Taglish programming mixed in. The Filipino language market is large and active.

Sure, there's a sense of pride for making an English movie accessible to a larger audience of your fellow countrymen, but that's a fringe benefit already.

Have you seen the audiences for Willing Willie? Have you heard from those that actively support that d*bag? That's the audience Filipino dubbed English movies are for. And that's a large chunk of the country's population. I wouldn't be surprised if they dub some more English movies in different dialects. And that would actually be great for everyone.

Forgive me, I did not put the questions in the [rhetorical] box, but if you noticed, most of the questions I posed, I answered in my earlier post regarding the matter, which you may have referred to in your answer. :)

On the proposal of dubbing to properly give context to nuances of the english language, I agree, that would be a good reason.

Offline Hero33

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Apr 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM »

From personal business considerations, I believe English will remain the world language with its new partner, Chinese.

Offline Hero33

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM »
Dubbing English movies in Tagalog to cater to a minority of English speaking audiences? I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense.

No, the masses in general, are not English speakers. More than 80 million Filipinos, however, understand English and are taught it as a primary language in  education, but they do not speak it in regular conversation. What we have is a hybrid of local dialects interspersed with English or Spanish phrases and terms.

Leaving the movie in English is fine. But therein lies the rub. To use what I said as an example, how do you explain fully to the common Filipino the phrase "therein lies the rub"? I'm telling you now, not that many know the usage of or what it simply means. And that line has been used in many TV shows and movies. Filipinos understand English in general, yes. But language is one thing, context is a whole other animal.

Having these movies dubbed in Filipino injects the cultural context of certain dialogues and their equivalents into the Filipino conception-- if done properly. It can be funny at times, but if we don't start now how else are we expected to evolve and refine the art?

Why not just subtitle? Well, even the Americans hate subtitled foreign movies. Hell, I hate subtitled movies and I just bear it for some foreign movies that I really want to watch.

I think someone already said the answer, let me just repeat it. Patriotism has nothing to do with this. Getting a larger market for advertisers, is. And that's a proven formula. Take newspapers for example. The big three (PDI, MB, PS) are all English language publications. But they have their own Tagalog tabloid equivalents. English only FM radio station's also have their AM counterparts. Even FM has a mix of Taglish programming mixed in. The Filipino language market is large and active.

Sure, there's a sense of pride for making an English movie accessible to a larger audience of your fellow countrymen, but that's a fringe benefit already.

Have you seen the audiences for Willing Willie? Have you heard from those that actively support that d*bag? That's the audience Filipino dubbed English movies are for. And that's a large chunk of the country's population. I wouldn't be surprised if they dub some more English movies in different dialects. And that would actually be great for everyone.

Regarding the first paragraph, I believe I was answering someone's comment regarding Filipino not for the masses.

Offline Gob_Loves_Sony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • If isn't sony, it ain't worth it
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 20, 2011 at 09:17 AM »
Syempre naman. Alam ko kasi yung lang ang dahilan para bumisita ka sa topic na ito. Isang linggo na lang!  ;D

you got it right baby!
1 week to go!!!

Offline Jerricson098

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011 at 06:11 PM »
Just saw 300 last saturday...my god they just ruined it. Tagalog n nga, zoom in p. Dapat nd nila ito pinalabas given the fact that this film is too violent.
You're just a two-time coward loser.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011 at 09:55 PM »
sa kabilang banda, ilan din ba sa atin ang nakakapagsulat ng sanaysay sa tamang tagalog? dahil sa nasanay na tayo sa ingles o taglish, kadalasan ay hindi na natin alam ang tagalog translation ng salitang ingles. maski simpleng salita lang, nakakalimutan na natin. naiinggit nga ako sa ibang bansa katulad ng japan dahil na-develop nila ng husto ang kanilang lengwahe. parang lahat 'ata ang terms, may sarili silang translation.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2011 at 09:08 AM »
The problem with Filipinos is that we tend to treat foreign words as separate and distinct from Filipino words.

Other languages simply lift foreign words and consider them their own.  They have no problem with that.

For example, the word "pizza" is Italian in origin.   But the English language considers it an English word.  Hindi man lang nila pinalitan ang spelling, kahit hindi ganon ang pronunciation ng "zz" sa English.

E sa atin naman, ano sa Tagalog ang "pizza"?  Wala raw Tagalog ang "pizza".  Why don't we just consider "pizza" as a Filipino word?  Ewan ko sa kanila.

Other examples in English are "ballet", "façade", "reservoir" (French); "cornice", "graffitti", "prima donna" (Italian); "angst", "poltergeist", "kindergarten" (German); "karaoke", "tsunami", "tofu" (Japanese).

"Bokeh" is a Japanese word, which refers to the aesthetic quality of the blurred portion in a photograph.  It's not simply the blur, but the quality of the blur.  

Ano sa English ang "bokeh"?  Ano pa, e di "bokeh" rin.  Ano naman sa Tagalog ang "bokeh"?  Wala raw Tagalog yon, kahit lahat ng Pinoy na may konting alam sa photography ay "bokeh" ang salitang ginagamit.  :(

Yun ngang Tagalog na "salinlahi" at "paliparan", mas madaling intindihin pag yung English terms ang ginamit, pero ayaw pa ring ituring na Filipino words ang "generation" at "airport".  Ewan ko sa kanila.

Yung mga Japanese, marami ring loan words.  "Iyaringu" is "earring"; "rajio" is "radio"; "heddohon" is "headphone"; "gurasu" is glass (a drinking glass); "fakkusu" is "fax".

The remedy is to do what other languages do.  Just make the foreign word a Filipino loan word.

Actually, we're already doing that.  Sino ba namang engot ang hindi nakakaintindi ng English words na "one way", "ballpen" at "printer".  

Those English-origin words have long been assimilated into the Filipino language.  The only problem is that we refuse to officially recognize it.

Ewan ko sa kanila.  :D  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011 at 09:16 AM by barrister »

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM »
i agree with neil garcia on his book when he said that he refused to italicize tagalog words or statements in his english-written book the way english-written magazines do. bakit naman daw kailangan pa nating gawin ito? hindi raw ba natin nakikitang magka-level lang ang language natin sa english? oo nga naman!
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #41 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 09:57 AM »
Not for it.

Our local FM radio has become a virtual palengke with failed hairdressers and former jeepney barkers promoted to "DJs" (thanks, Mo Twister, for being a bastion of sanity!!!) what more with Channel 5's "Tagalization" of Hollywood movies?

It's not just about the VAs getting the nuances of the characters they are voicing, but also being able to get the essence of the message the actors are conveying (even if translated in another language). As for dubbing being the practice also in Japan and Korea (I still remember seeing Hollywood films - and an uncensored Sopranos - dubbed in Japanese over at WOWOW back then), remember that VAs are as big as flesh-and-blood actors (especially in Japan)

What will happen to the Pinoys' much-vaunted edge in English-language communication?  Will the wedge be driven between those with access to cable - and those without? 

Offline dalubhasa1980

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM »
I am not in favor of dubbing English movies to Tagalog.

As an alternative, why not use Tagalog subtitles instead.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM »

ayos to. para at least yung ibang manunuod na di familar sa mga english words na mahihirap " aba yun pala tagalog nung eghlish word na yon, magamit nga minsan".
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2613
« Reply #44 on: Apr 20, 2012 at 09:36 AM »

mas gusto ko ito kesa tagalog dubbed
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #45 on: Apr 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM »
if TV5s target audience can post here, im sure this thread will be everrun by millions of yeses.  ;D
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012 at 06:12 AM »
IMO, dubbing movies or shows to Tagalog is not pang masa. I think it is all about patriotism.

In countries such as Japan or Korea, they dub English shows to their native languages.

It's pang masa. TV5 wants to improve their ratings so they can charge more for commercial breaks.

This trend of Tagaloging will only exacerbate English-skilled workforce for outsourcing jobs.

Ok lang yan kasi patriotism feeds the tummy naman eh.  ;D

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012 at 06:19 AM »
There are a lot of seats vacant for English-proficient applicants and yet we have a high unemployment rate because the skilled workers aren't there. Why else are outsourcing outfits pilfering from each other? We lack labour-intensive jobs where in less education is required.

I think the sensationalism is rooted in getting and then keeping the attention of the Tagalog-speaking audience.

As pointed out earlier people love Willie Revillame. Those who hate him aren't part of that demographic.

It reads as very snobbish but it does not make it any less true.

The Philippines economy is reaping the rewards of being able to have majority of its population capable of speaking in English. If we start to think that there is no connection in the long run, see how the likes of China, Vietnam and other can surely overtake us from attracting more direct investments whether this be in the field of BPO, knowledge centers and even the attraction to hire OFW's due to their English capabilities.

::)

This trend started with the evening newscast going Filipino and see how much sensationalism we get compared to the yesteryears of pure CNN / BBC like English newscasts.

:'(

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012 at 06:27 AM »
Just saw 300 last saturday...my god they just ruined it. Tagalog n nga, zoom in p. Dapat nd nila ito pinalabas given the fact that this film is too violent.

Too violent for Tagalog-speakers?  ;D Then you havent been keeping track of the Thrilla in NAIA

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012 at 07:13 AM »

NOT IN FAVOR...

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012 at 07:21 AM »
It's amusing tho, pinalabas naba  yung Matrix revolution? curious ako sa dubbing nung "architect" scene  :D

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012 at 07:25 AM »
Almost all Filipinos understand english so its ridiculous to dub those english films to Filipino language.
Filipinos even learn more english watching english films/movies.

Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2613
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012 at 07:27 AM »
naalala ko ung shaider dati ;D

time space warp, ngayon din!
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012 at 07:31 AM »
ok na yan, I'd rather want Pinoys who doesn't understand english entertained at night rather than multiplying because of boredom......if you know what I mean  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012 at 07:34 AM by Ashburndaride »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012 at 09:48 AM »

Stick them in their original language dubbing... then put Tagalog sub-titles if need to...

at least, people are forced to know basic English words or at least be forced to read properly...

Otherwise, we just promote to kids particularly those who are unable to learn properly in school or drop-outs, inability to relate to English language and worst, inability for them to learn to even read in Tagalog...

What's next? broadcast in the different provinces in their own translated dialects?

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012 at 11:15 PM »
Almost all Filipinos understand english so its ridiculous to dub those english films to Filipino language.
Filipinos even learn more english watching english films/movies.

Baka sa panahon ng tatay tatay natin but because of ignorant nationalists they the bulk of the population is unemployable due to no small part of their deficient english language skills.

Again, better a Pinoy have good English and have something to eat than be blindly nationalistic and puro Tagalog at walang laman ang tiyan.

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1442
« Reply #56 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 01:41 AM »
Disagree! its not needed sa totoo lang. i get annoyed now that Qtv does it too. they dubbed Pawn Stars and the Pickers in tagalog too!!!

Offline DonMiguel85

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 02:29 AM »
In the past though, many kids picked up on English thanks to cartoons and TV shows in English. Not sure what impact this may have on proficiency.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #58 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 08:27 AM »
Disagree! its not needed sa totoo lang. i get annoyed now that Qtv does it too. they dubbed Pawn Stars and the Pickers in tagalog too!!!

Is there still Qtv?

Baka sa panahon ng tatay tatay natin but because of ignorant nationalists they the bulk of the population is unemployable due to no small part of their deficient english language skills.

Again, better a Pinoy have good English and have something to eat than be blindly nationalistic and puro Tagalog at walang laman ang tiyan.

I was fortunate to have seen English-language cartoons and American/British series on the local free networks as a child...even during the height of the Marcos dictatorship, they managed to mould the way I think.  By the time I reached high school I had to catch up on my Pilipino, so I willingly gorged myself on old Sampaguita movies - especially the ones starring a young Dolphy - to get my edge on my native language.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2012 at 08:51 AM by deweyfinn »

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1442
« Reply #59 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 07:54 PM »
Is there still Qtv?

wait,its GMA NewsTV na nga pala ngayon.