Author Topic: UPS - Customs. Advise please!  (Read 11109 times)

Offline favalc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: UPS - Customs. Advise please!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:56 PM »
Bro, i think ipad 2 false under the laptop category which has a 0% tariff rate. While the brokerage fee is billed by UPS' Broker and not in anyway a custom related charge. The 12% VAT however, is standard in any article imported here in the Philippines. Just observe the local dealer's price of ipad 2s in the Philippines P22K to P24K, they are very very close with the Apple Store US Price of $499 for the 16GB version, it's because it has 0% tariff rate.

Dutiable Value = Cost + Insurance + Freight (CIF) also called the "landed cost".
Customs Duty = Dutiable Value x Tariff Rate (this rate depends on the Tariff and Customs Code)
Brokerage Fee = This is what the freight forwarder charge you for dealing with customs.
Doc Stamp = This is standard for most of our transactions with our Gov't. (this is fixed @ 265)
Import Process Fee = This is also standard for every imported article (fixed @ 250)

So we're left with VAT...
VAT = 12 x (Dutiable Value + Customs Duty + Brokerage Fee + Doc Stamp + IPF)

Total Due to Customs = Customs Duty + VAT + Doc Stamp + IPF
Total Due to your Freight Forwarder = Brokerage Fee

NOTE: The purpose of tariff is to "protect the local manufacturers" and the local industry itself.
Imagine if everyone can import anything from other countries without being charged a single cent?
No manufacturer will build their Plants here and the unemployment rate will definitely increase.

Just my 2 cents guys..  ;)

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011 at 05:25 AM »
Bro, i think ipad 2 false under the laptop category which has a 0% tariff rate. While the brokerage fee is billed by UPS' Broker and not in anyway a custom related charge. The 12% VAT however, is standard in any article imported here in the Philippines. Just observe the local dealer's price of ipad 2s in the Philippines P22K to P24K, they are very very close with the Apple Store US Price of $499 for the 16GB version, it's because it has 0% tariff rate.

Dutiable Value = Cost + Insurance + Freight (CIF) also called the "landed cost".
Customs Duty = Dutiable Value x Tariff Rate (this rate depends on the Tariff and Customs Code)
Brokerage Fee = This is what the freight forwarder charge you for dealing with customs.
Doc Stamp = This is standard for most of our transactions with our Gov't. (this is fixed @ 265)
Import Process Fee = This is also standard for every imported article (fixed @ 250)

So we're left with VAT...
VAT = 12 x (Dutiable Value + Customs Duty + Brokerage Fee + Doc Stamp + IPF)

Total Due to Customs = Customs Duty + VAT + Doc Stamp + IPF
Total Due to your Freight Forwarder = Brokerage Fee

NOTE: The purpose of tariff is to "protect the local manufacturers" and the local industry itself.
Imagine if everyone can import anything from other countries without being charged a single cent?
No manufacturer will build their Plants here and the unemployment rate will definitely increase.

Just my 2 cents guys..  ;)

Thanks for this important advise as this greatly helps.  :)
Audio Hobbyist

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #32 on: Jun 25, 2011 at 07:55 PM »
I find it strange that your government threatens everyone with prosecution if they do not issue receipts, yet they are the biggest thieves around. No wonder folks from the West think that the Philippines is a joke as far as laws are concerned.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline jbluzb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 02, 2011 at 11:11 PM »
Now, I am worried my shipment will be arriving through UPS. I am thinking that if they will charge me big fees, I will just request cancellation and refund for the items I bought through amazon.

Offline Cirque de Soleil

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #34 on: Jul 02, 2011 at 11:22 PM »
Now, I am worried my shipment will be arriving through UPS. I am thinking that if they will charge me big fees, I will just request cancellation and refund for the items I bought through amazon.

try dinkoy next time. :)

Offline jbluzb

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 03, 2011 at 04:53 PM »
Thanks

Offline jbluzb

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 12:36 PM »
Here is my review for the UPS service:

Total Amount Purchase at amazon. UK: GBP: 47.57

Item(s) Subtotal:       £24.99
Postage & Packing:    £22.58
                                       -----
Total Before VAT:    £47.57
VAT:                         £0.00
     -----
Total:                          £47.57
Import Fees Deposit    £5.71
     -----
Grand Total:    £53.28

Total Tax/Customs Payment: P 1,172.00 and it was waived by UPS - totally great

Morale lesson: I will no longer order packages on priority. I will just use standard shipping options. Though there is always a fear that my packages may get lost during the transit because there are no tracking numbers.

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2011 at 03:04 PM by jbluzb »