Author Topic: using branded receivers as karaoke amplifier  (Read 18784 times)

Offline gienr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
using branded receivers as karaoke amplifier
« on: May 11, 2011 at 08:09 PM »
I have a Denon 1909 which I am thinking of using as a karaoke amplifier.  I have a midi player that has thousands of songs  which could be connected to the analog inputs of the receiver.  Now my question is, will this kind of setup serves my purpose or it has a negative effect on the safety of my receiver's welfare?  Due to this apprehension, I know I should use an ordinary amplifier (like the Konzert 502A), but if it will not harm my denon, why spend for another amplifier?
      Kindly pitch in some guidance here, (I read one time that the capability of a receiver to handle karaoke music is somewhat a question), some guru on this matter can be more reliable help. TIA

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: using branded receivers as karaoke amplifier
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011 at 08:30 PM »
I have a Denon 1909 which I am thinking of using as a karaoke amplifier.  I have a midi player that has thousands of songs  which could be connected to the analog inputs of the receiver.  Now my question is, will this kind of setup serves my purpose or it has a negative effect on the safety of my receiver's welfare?  Due to this apprehension, I know I should use an ordinary amplifier (like the Konzert 502A), but if it will not harm my denon, why spend for another amplifier?
      Kindly pitch in some guidance here, (I read one time that the capability of a receiver to handle karaoke music is somewhat a question), some guru on this matter can be more reliable help. TIA

My friend tried to use his Yamaha receiver for an outdoor karaoke speaker Konzert. His Yamaha broke down as it was stressed too much. The Konzert was 450 watts at 8ohms. Maybe take caution and consult more people .
Audio Hobbyist

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011 at 04:16 PM »
better spend for the extra amp outright rather than spending it later for your receiver repair.  ;)
mas mag-eenjoy ka pa sa pagkanta dahil 'di ka worried na baka biglang masunog ang denon mo.  ;D
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011 at 06:08 PM »
the safety of your receiver is always in your hands......
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011 at 07:14 AM »
Thanks for the inputs.  Yes, taking care of my denon is foremost. Again, thanks

Offline badoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2011 at 05:44 PM »
hahaha its funny...spending extra amplifier for karaoke. tatawan ka lang ng china amplifier owner... try it for a whole day of singing if still alive well you've got a good quality amplifier... :)
I'm not AUDIOHOLICS

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2011 at 07:26 PM »
di ba china amps are overrated in wattage?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2011 at 12:59 AM »

My take:

I wouldn't mind using my AV/R for karaoke. What's the use of having an extra amp if you already have one...? If properly matched with your speakers, and controlled volume/gain based on the AV/R's capacity, IMHO, ok lang.   :D I don't think there's a negative effect on the AV/R if well matched or paired.

Or probably, kaya ko lang nasasabi ito cuz entry level ang AV/R ko...  ;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2011 at 08:03 AM »
I think there are basic differences between an HT amp and amps used for PA or for instruments. HT amps usually have certain clipping circuits that triggers the amp to go off once that level is reached. So when the voice is too high or loud, the receiver turns off. The Konzert or Sakura are designed for karaoke application and do not have this clipping circuitry, so you can sing as loud as you can without problem, well of course except your neighbors  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Dilbert7

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2011 at 10:16 AM »
di ba china amps are overrated in wattage?

Well I think almost all are china amps  ;D - even your branded ones for sure!

The difference is that branded ones have to cut so much corners to compete in their niche.

The generic ones tend to over-rate their products, but some do survive abnormal use - since some of them are truly equipped (say for example Konzert 502A that has 4 transistor per channel against branded AVR - plus the power tranny). Abuse them in the speaker department is not a cause of worry for this amp!

Even if Jerix say is true, your branded AVR should not be destroyed at all because it has protective circuitry. If truly generic amps has no clipping protection, then you should be more afraid of busting your speakers while your amp is still alive & kicking (clip-wise)

So your beautiful sports car with much horsepower (very expensive) should not be used to climb a rocky mountain (karaoke abuse) unless you get a serious amplifier not just masquerading as powerful but has the guts for the job.

But branded AVR has the finesse in its right place (just like the sports car) than utility amp like konzert 502A. The konzert (I cease to use china amp - or else am talking of both branded and generic) do not care for the  finesse since the singers wont have that anyway! :D

But don't get me wrong, Konzert 502A is a serious amp - and being electronic at that, it is has solid performance (sound quality wise) as your expensive branded AVR gear - just tweak their tone control.

So much for the debate ... good generic amp are dirt cheap, why risk your expensive "finesse" amp!  ;D Got my 2nd 502A at 2k - no brainer in fact! It can swallow even below 4 ohms total speaker impedance with no complaint!

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2011 at 10:42 AM »
you're lucky if the protection circuit kicks in on time, always. what if it doesn't? tapos ang session, abala at gastos sa repair (kung marerepair pa), reduced resale value of avr, etc.

konzert/sakura amp - P2,000-3,000
repair of branded a/v receiver P2,000-10,000
the look on your face as you watch the a/v receiver celebrate the fourth of july after a guest singer cranks the level to 11 - priceless!  ;D

Offline Dilbert7

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2011 at 10:53 AM »
you're lucky if the protection circuit kicks in on time, always. what if it doesn't? tapos ang session, abala at gastos sa repair (kung marerepair pa), reduced resale value of avr, etc.

the look on your face as you watch the a/v receiver celebrate the fourth of july after a guest singer cranks the level to 11 - priceless!  ;D

That means your AVR do not have serious amp protection - and you paid for it  >:(. Another advantage of the generic amps I would say  :D - you get what you pay for  8) - and generics survive all the odds  :o!

Yeah - mere 2,000 for an uninterrupted enjoyment, it's no brainer in fact!  ;D Sleep well afterwards. - no BP rise thinking where to get repair cost of your branded china amp!

Offline badoy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2011 at 10:48 AM »
if your AVR has enough power and if you're using it as karaoke amp then it is outstanding. from voice quality, sound quality and feedback problem and noise from mics and humming. i been using my AVR as my karaoke amps and it performs very good than china amps....i been using china amp previously but i hate tweaking and adjusting just to maintain sound clarity....

i don't like china amps because of flat sound response or too loud at center frequency unlike AVR it sound smooth plus built in effects... :)
I'm not AUDIOHOLICS

Offline mhav

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2011 at 01:36 PM »
if your AVR has enough power and if you're using it as karaoke amp then it is outstanding. from voice quality, sound quality and feedback problem and noise from mics and humming. i been using my AVR as my karaoke amps and it performs very good than china amps....i been using china amp previously but i hate tweaking and adjusting just to maintain sound clarity....

i don't like china amps because of flat sound response or too loud at center frequency unlike AVR it sound smooth plus built in effects... :)

thats the difference between branded and china amps its like car transmission (automatic vs manual)there is advantage and disadvantage
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2011 at 01:37 PM by mhav »

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM »
very nice inputs, thanks very much.  Have tried the denon 1909 but it clips frequently so I stopped using it for karaoke.  Before I had this denon, I had a yamaha 663 and it is ok as karaoke amp, more so with my yamaha 595 before the 663.  This denon is too sensitive for karaoke purposes.  Anyway thanks very much

Offline mhav

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM »
some videoke bars are using onkyo amp on their videoke setup..

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM »
it does not matter if the brand of your amp is Konka ,  denon, onkyo or rotel. If it has enough power to handle your karaoke/HT/ Audio  functions there should not be a problem.  Now if you intend to abuse the gears or let someone who does not know how to operate it use then get a cheap amplifier for karaoke use.

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM »

For this comment alone sir mackrenz, I have stopped thinking of using my denon 1909 as a karaoke amp.  I made use of my old Pioneer integrated amp for the purpose and it handles my karaoke hobby, although the clarity and warmth of the SQ is more evident on the denon (pero always clipping naman).
     The repair cost you mentioned finalized this decision. Thanks

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #18 on: Aug 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM »
That's one of the things I don't get. Why do people blare the world with karaoke? Can't it be a more intimate experience (aka. sa sariling bahay lang rinig)?

Is it to simulate a performance in front of a large crowd?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2011 at 09:07 PM »
That's one of the things I don't get. Why do people blare the world with karaoke? Can't it be a more intimate experience (aka. sa sariling bahay lang rinig)?

Sing-a-long SPL or loud & clear yan master.  ;D

Sabi nga, flaunt what you've got.  ;D

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2011 at 09:35 PM »

All the world's a stage!  ;D

So the entire world must hear!  ::)

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2011 at 09:37 PM »
All the world's a stage!  ;D

So the entire world must hear!  ::)
it's more like SUFFER!  ;D

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2011 at 11:14 PM »
sometimes i use my receiver kapag nag vivideoke,mahina lang naman saka hindi matagalan kapag nag vivideoke kami ni misis.pero di ko ginagamit pag may parties o handaan,nag rerent na lang kami ng videoke machine  ;)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM »
sometimes i use my receiver kapag nag vivideoke,mahina lang naman saka hindi matagalan kapag nag vivideoke kami ni misis.pero di ko ginagamit pag may parties o handaan,nag rerent na lang kami ng videoke machine  ;)

Good option for parties. For less than P1k, may system ka na.  ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 20, 2011 at 06:39 PM »
The T/A feature of the AVRs does have an effect when you sing. Setting it to pure direct solves the issue.  ;)

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 30, 2011 at 02:40 PM »
The T/A feature of the AVRs does have an effect when you sing. Setting it to pure direct solves the issue.  ;)
Thanks Sir Nelson.  will try setting to pure direct

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 30, 2011 at 07:20 PM »
Thanks Sir Nelson.  will try setting to pure direct

Did you also noticed the delay?

Offline jnazareta

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #27 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 07:28 AM »
Yes sir Nelson I hear a delay when using my AVR for singing.. how do you fix that? tnx.

Offline Gwenael

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 05:36 PM »
'how about using attenuator/attenuation? on your branded avr (if it has), will it helps protect your receiver ???
marantz sr8001; dv6001
aaudio 15" coaxial; surrounds
panasonic 42pv70h
sony ps3
hdpro

Offline gienr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 19, 2011 at 07:56 AM »