Author Topic: using branded receivers as karaoke amplifier  (Read 18754 times)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: using branded receivers as karaoke amplifier
« Reply #30 on: Sep 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM »
'how about using attenuator/attenuation? on your branded avr (if it has), will it helps protect your receiver ???

Protect from what...?

Offline Cru3L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Sep 21, 2011 at 04:25 AM »
I was thinking of creating a new thread but anyway my purpose is almost the same with the TS. I plan to buy Pioneer 5.1 AVR 150w/chan. (forgot the exact model) with 5.1 speaker package (floor stand, center, surround speaker and sub-woofer) for more or less P30k. I will be using this setup on movies, listening music and karaoke session on get together/small occasion. I bought before a Sakura with a pair of store assembled 3way speaker (12" main speaker) for this purposes because I was afraid the branded AVR will be broken with the karaoke purposes. I'm not contented anymore using Sakura as it has only analog inputs and can't enjoy surround sounds on movies though it has decent sound but stereo only. Having said that, I'm now back to the dilemma of using a branded receiver (Pioneer in my case) to a karaoke purposes.  Any comments?

Offline mhav

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Sep 21, 2011 at 06:25 AM »
may i ask you sir what is the model of your sakura amp??

Offline badoy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 21, 2011 at 09:19 AM »
I was afraid the branded AVR will be broken with the karaoke purposes.
anyone told you that or just your speculation only? other may say it can but for me it's not true. if you're afraid for damaging AVR for karaoke then I think you better buy less expensive high quality AVR. than buying high end gear that you're not at peace. :)
I'm not AUDIOHOLICS

Offline Cru3L

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Sep 21, 2011 at 05:00 PM »
anyone told you that or just your speculation only? other may say it can but for me it's not true. if you're afraid for damaging AVR for karaoke then I think you better buy less expensive high quality AVR. than buying high end gear that you're not at peace. :)

Some sales person when I canvass for an AVR and I think some thread also here in pdvd. Though some sales person say it is ok. The karaoke session is for indoor use only, for a get together and small occasions at home. I'm not sure if it is ok with that purpose.

I'm going to dispose the Sakura once I acquire the Pioneer AVR not just to fund for the new one but because there is no space anymore for the 2 set of sound system. Really need to find all purpose sound system.

Offline Cru3L

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 21, 2011 at 05:01 PM »
may i ask you sir what is the model of your sakura amp??

Sakura AV-387A

Offline badoy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 21, 2011 at 05:20 PM »
Some sales person when I canvass for an AVR and I think some thread also here in pdvd. Though some sales person say it is ok.
so you became confused...some them are user only and based on their experienced...but from technical point of view  "Branded AVR will NOT be broken with the karaoke purposes" If anyone insist maybe then the issue is the quality of AVR. don't buy it...:)
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2011 at 05:29 PM by badoy »
I'm not AUDIOHOLICS

Offline Cru3L

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 21, 2011 at 08:00 PM »
so you became confused...some them are user only and based on their experienced...but from technical point of view  "Branded AVR will NOT be broken with the karaoke purposes" If anyone insist maybe then the issue is the quality of AVR. don't buy it...:)

thanks for your input. cheers

Offline gienr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 24, 2011 at 03:20 PM »
I was thinking of creating a new thread but anyway my purpose is almost the same with the TS. I plan to buy Pioneer 5.1 AVR 150w/chan. (forgot the exact model) with 5.1 speaker package (floor stand, center, surround speaker and sub-woofer) for more or less P30k. I will be using this setup on movies, listening music and karaoke session on get together/small occasion. I bought before a Sakura with a pair of store assembled 3way speaker (12" main speaker) for this purposes because I was afraid the branded AVR will be broken with the karaoke purposes. I'm not contented anymore using Sakura as it has only analog inputs and can't enjoy surround sounds on movies though it has decent sound but stereo only. Having said that, I'm now back to the dilemma of using a branded receiver (Pioneer in my case) to a karaoke purposes.  Any comments?
I am now using a Denon 1909 for karaoke purposes (at home) and I switch on to direct mode.  I think it is safe that way.

Offline Cru3L

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 24, 2011 at 07:24 PM »
I am now using a Denon 1909 for karaoke purposes (at home) and I switch on to direct mode.  I think it is safe that way.

What is direct mode? And how did this make it safe? Another thing, pwede ko ba malaman setup ng sound system mo?

Offline buzzworth

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 24, 2011 at 08:38 PM »
I been using my Onkyo 606 as a karaoke amplifier and so far not encountered any issue. I think you just need to set the correct volume. :)
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011 at 07:21 AM by buzzworth »
Onkyo TX-sr606
Sansui AU-666
PSB Image B6
Bose Accoustimas 7
LG LD460
Pilyo amp and RE Sr10[

Offline Cru3L

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 25, 2011 at 03:13 AM »
I been using my Onkyo 606 as a karaoke amplifier and so far not encountered any issue. I think you just need to set the volume correct. :)

Thanks sa input at dumadami na ang parehas na setup sa balak ko pero pwede ko ba malaman setup, mga speakers na naka-connect sa  Branded AVR mo when you use it as karaoke amplifier?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #42 on: Sep 27, 2011 at 03:04 AM »
Aside from setting the avr to pure direct, you can also opt to set the speaker distances to zero manually. For those with auto calibration, You can reprogram a memory (assuming yours has one) with the same tuning as the auto calibration and manually set the speaker distance to zero. This way, walang delay yun voice ng singer while maintaining the settings of the auto calibration minus the delay from speaker distance.

Offline buzzworth

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 07:25 AM »
Thanks sa input at dumadami na ang parehas na setup sa balak ko pero pwede ko ba malaman setup, mga speakers na naka-connect sa  Branded AVR mo when you use it as karaoke amplifier?
my current setup is 5.1, PSB B6 as my front, Wharf 9cm for center and Bose acoustimas 5 as my surround, for the bass duty, been using my DIY RE SR sub being driven by Pilyo 4ver2 amp.

Onkyo TX-sr606
Sansui AU-666
PSB Image B6
Bose Accoustimas 7
LG LD460
Pilyo amp and RE Sr10[

Offline Cru3L

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM »
my current setup is 5.1, PSB B6 as my front, Wharf 9cm for center and Bose acoustimas 5 as my surround, for the bass duty, been using my DIY RE SR sub being driven by Pilyo 4ver2 amp.

Thanks sa input.

Offline butchoy17

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 09:13 AM »
For me, I have 2 separate amps for 2 different purposes..my sakura 5203 paired with a unbranded loudspeakers for Karaoke sessions/parties and other loud and noisy purposes..while my AVR is exclusive for movies and music only to minimize the stress on the receiver..It's better safe than sorry.

Offline Cru3L

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 09:47 AM »
For me, I have 2 separate amps for 2 different purposes..my sakura 5203 paired with a unbranded loudspeakers for Karaoke sessions/parties and other loud and noisy purposes..while my AVR is exclusive for movies and music only to minimize the stress on the receiver..It's better safe than sorry.

It's hard to do that option for me, our house is not big enough to put 2 sets up of amps and speakers. >:(

Offline guido

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 14, 2018 at 07:35 PM »
up ko lang topic
i've read this thread a few times and to be safe decided not to use my marantz  for karaoke

however, just want to ask if using a power amp will somehow  make my avr "completely safe" from the  risk mentioned on this topic.  avr will be functioning as a preamp na lang. will be using a diff speaker set kaya ang worry ko lang yung sa amp. i have a vintage 2 ch power amp that intend to use. 

also puede ba gamitin zone 2 ng avr for this.

tia