Author Topic: Polk Audio's new LSiM Series  (Read 54786 times)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Polk Audio's new LSiM Series
« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
They sounded good!  ;D

They still have lots of potential. We were able to uncork some added dynamics by plugging the power amp directly to the wall socket. Mixing and matching gear will surely help as well, together with a lower jitter interface.

The LSi9 sounds very very good when matched properly. I expect the LSiM 703 to sound even better, if the owner can get the right synergy.

I suggest using an amp with lots of current capacity as the main backbone for an LSiM based system. As nice as they were with the NuForce stereo amp and compact DAC, these speakers probably would've really shone with their monoblocks coupled to the DAC9 and the P9, and tied together with cables that are more sympathetic in character.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 07:55 AM »
They still have lots of potential. We were able to uncork some added dynamics by plugging the power amp directly to the wall socket. Mixing and matching gear will surely help as well, together with a lower jitter interface.

The LSi9 sounds very very good when matched properly. I expect the LSiM 703 to sound even better, if the owner can get the right synergy.

I suggest using an amp with lots of current capacity as the main backbone for an LSiM based system. As nice as they were with the NuForce stereo amp and compact DAC, these speakers probably would've really shone with their monoblocks coupled to the DAC9 and the P9, and tied together with cables that are more sympathetic in character.

For me, the synergy is there. It just lacks a little headroom from the amp.

I was already sold on the first CD test, more so when Stagea played his lossless FLAC file over the NuForce DAC and Amp.

Last piece of the puzzle would be its performance with my H/K Stereo Receiver.

Oist Xandric, bring your Rotel in Marc's place na!

So kailan mo i=popost sa gallery mo yun LsiM?  ;D

I have another suggestion. Why don't you also try the NuForce amp with your Lsi9 first.

Offline ecks_xnm

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • "simplify your life and know God"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 08:41 AM »
I was already sold on the first CD test, more so when Stagea played his lossless FLAC file over the NuForce DAC and Amp.

Last piece of the puzzle would be its performance with my H/K Stereo Receiver.

Oist Xandric, bring your Rotel in Marc's place na!

Hey! I didn't make it yesterday, too busy.  ;) But it's a good thing not be there (again), otherwise alam mo na. Haha!  ;D Pigil muna ng konti at mahaba-habang audition.  :D

Kelan ka ba makakapunta kila Marc? Keep me posted so we can have another listening session and yes I'll bring my Rotel.  :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:11 AM »

Don't get me wrong, it sounded very good for the system cost that we're talking about (especially since the Preamp/DAC and the Power Amp were comparatively budget-fare when compared to other gear in that show). It's just that those speakers were capable of much more. :) I also feel that the output reflects the impedance characteristics of the speaker, and that it'd benefit from lots of amp current capacity and grip. :)

I'd like to note that I'm used to a fairly fast, snappy and impactful sound, and I'm sure that's not to everyone's liking.

Things I liked in this system:
1. Neutral presentation from top to bottom (spectral balance is among the best in the show, I think)
2. It never sounded bad with any good track (it seemed to be very flexible with material)
3. Clean and revealing top end coupled with a textured midrange (it might not emphasize details, but it has all you have to hear)
4. Some layering was noticeable (and this is a lot better than many systems yesterday that threw diffused images on a stage that is wide but defines no depth)
5. Fatigue-free sound for most listening levels (admittedly, there was a tendency for the speaker to be slightly forward and shouty at very high volumes, but this is typical for flat-voiced speakers)
6. Good weight and extension for bookshelf speakers (the system had notable output down to about 50Hz or so)
7. Excellent price to performance ratio (this matters to people like me who are poor and wretched)
8. Nice cabinet finish and apparent build (I've seen many pictures, and it looks better in person)

Things I missed that I believe can be fixed with different upstream components (based on my experience with the LSi9 and other similar speakers):
1. I would've liked a faster and more impactful presentation (certainly achievable with different electronics and cables).
2. Some extra bite and sparkle in the HF would make things more lively (same solution as above).
3. Large scale dynamics and bottom end extension needed a bit of help (a high current amp would likely bring out enough punch and urgency to cover for most of the lack in absolute depth).
4. Images were in soft focus and profound layering was absent (likely fixable with cables and electronics).
5. I feel that there was a lack of sufficient attack and aggression (or crunch) in the presentation of certain tracks (likely fixable with cables).

As for Topper's Pepsi Challenge: I think this drink might not be the best Champagne, but it is definitely an excellent Cremant. Something that can be as enjoyable, while being far more affordable.

The savings could be used for better electronics, which may in fact yield a much nicer system. Think of it as Cremant + Ham + Turkey versus Champagne + Hotdog + Tapa (or Tuyo).  ;D

So kailan mo i=popost sa gallery mo yun LsiM?  ;D

I have another suggestion. Why don't you also try the NuForce amp with your Lsi9 first.

Good idea!

Offline Topper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:29 AM »
I'm glad you guys were able to check out the new speakers and over the next few days you'll be able to mix and match and play with them to your heart's content at Marc's place :).

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:45 AM »
7. Excellent price to performance ratio (this matters to people like me who are poor and wretched)

haha now thats funny :)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM »

So kailan mo i=popost sa gallery mo yun LsiM?  ;D

I want to hear my LSi9s first with the Rotel of Xandrik at baka sakali lumitaw yung brightness na habol ko.

Remember Stagea plugging in the onkyo reference preamp to the mark levinson main amp and the revels sounded really bright to the point -1 yung attenuation sa tweeter (original was +0.5 with the mark levinson preamp)

I got the idea from there - Im thinking of using a rotel as preamp, the harmans as power.

Well, if the nuforce class d amp would be available at marc's place, I might as well try it on the LSi9s too.
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 02:56 PM »
Marc has a Rotel Preamp/Processor and a Rotel Integrated Amp in his shop. You can try those on.

I have tried the Rotel versus the Mark Levinson preamp, and the Rotel is a bit brighter. Both have a fairly polite presentation, however. The Rotel PrePro's built-in DAC is grainier than the Naim DAC in sound, but it works great with certain components.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 07:37 PM »
haha now thats funny :)

If he's poor, then i therefore conclude that nobody is rich.

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 03:07 PM »
For those that missed the show, here's a few pix of the LSiM 703 along with the rest of the Polk Audio room:

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 03:36 PM »
Hey! I didn't make it yesterday, too busy.  ;) But it's a good thing not be there (again), otherwise alam mo na. Haha!  ;D Pigil muna ng konti at mahaba-habang audition.  :D

Kelan ka ba makakapunta kila Marc? Keep me posted so we can have another listening session and yes I'll bring my Rotel.  :)

Xandrik,

I plan to bring in the LSi9s over when the LSiM703s are already there kina Marc. Ill also experiment on your Rotel RA-04 as Preamp and my HK3470 as Power amp at baka sakaling it can cajole the LSi9's brightness to life. Nasanay ako sa brightness ng RTiA3 LOL
Gay Stereophile

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 04:22 PM »
@Mikeer2002ph

Try Van den Hul "The Clearwater" speaker cables and/or Jenving (Supra) "EFF-I" interconnects if you can get a free trial. They are significantly brighter-sounding than average, for not much money.

The Clearwater cables are bright enough for me not to recommend them for most systems, except for those that really need some tilting in terms of tonal balance (and/or for systems that are less sensitive to cable differences).
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2011 at 05:05 PM by Stagea »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 04:41 PM »
Xandrik,

I plan to bring in the LSi9s over when the LSiM703s are already there kina Marc. Ill also experiment on your Rotel RA-04 as Preamp and my HK3470 as Power amp at baka sakaling it can cajole the LSi9's brightness to life. Nasanay ako sa brightness ng RTiA3 LOL

Been there a while ago with master Stagea. IMHO, I don't think the Rotel would suffice your need for brightness. Best if you could ask AVshop to have the nuforce amp there.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #43 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 07:41 PM »
@Mikeer2002ph

Try Van den Hul "The Clearwater" speaker cables and/or Jenving (Supra) "EFF-I" interconnects if you can get a free trial. They are significantly brighter-sounding than average, for not much money.

The Clearwater cables are bright enough for me not to recommend them for most systems, except for those that really need some tilting in terms of tonal balance (and/or for systems that are less sensitive to cable differences).

I can vouch for those "Clearwater" cables, they do add significant brightness for systems that need them.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 08:24 PM »
@Mikeer2002ph

I can vouch for those "Clearwater" cables, they do add significant brightness for systems that need them.

I hope Marc has these cables or members willing to have their cables 'borrowed' for audition. What's currently connected to the LSi9s are the Tsunami competition cables (bought from Marc's shop) and generic ICs
Gay Stereophile

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 11:58 PM »
I hope Marc has these cables or members willing to have their cables 'borrowed' for audition. What's currently connected to the LSi9s are the Tsunami competition cables (bought from Marc's shop) and generic ICs

Tsunamis are a little on the warm and sonorous side, and may be a better match for the RTi line.

The LSi speakers have different "needs."

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 07:11 AM »
Tsunamis are a little on the warm and sonorous side, and may be a better match for the RTi line.

The LSi speakers have different "needs."

And so does Mikeer.   ;D

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #47 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 07:34 AM »

Watt Hifi has these cables. I think they are selling for 700/meter  :D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 07:57 AM »
Watt Hifi has these cables. I think they are selling for 700/meter  :D

They used to have Jenving cables din, di ko alam kung andun pa (old stock na, if ever).

I miss the higher model Supras. They're excellent for the price, imho.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2011 at 08:34 AM by Stagea »

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #49 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 08:00 AM »
Watt Hifi has these cables. I think they are selling for 700/meter  :D

Yup Watt Hifi at Makati Cinema Square has these. If I remember right 2 pairs of 6 meters complete with banana plugs goes for around 4th or 4.5th.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM »

LSiM703 Bookshelf - Now at Marc's place :).

Have fun :)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM »

Oist paging Xandric! o kelan tayo magkikita dun?
Gay Stereophile

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 03:26 PM »
I almost went there today having read this this morning. Good thing is I decided not to at the last moment :)
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 04:43 PM »

With a matching amp for Mikeer?  :D

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 04:46 PM »
With a matching amp for Mikeer?  :D

im looking for a preamp first Nelson, Baka sakaling mas murang alternate ang bright preamp (rotel/onkyo/technics) and a dark power amp (my HK) as compared to jumping in and getting a Rotel 1520
Gay Stereophile

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 05:07 PM »
im looking for a preamp first Nelson, Baka sakaling mas murang alternate ang bright preamp (rotel/onkyo/technics) and a dark power amp (my HK) as compared to jumping in and getting a Rotel 1520

Dagdagan mo na lang kaya ng tweeter?  :D Joke! You're right. But then, how much would the preamp cost? Then add it up to your amps cost. Baka ganun din.  ;)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 05:16 PM »
Dagdagan mo na lang kaya ng tweeter?  :D Joke! You're right. But then, how much would the preamp cost? Then add it up to your amps cost. Baka ganun din.  ;)

Well I already own an HK amp (HK3470) I'll just take off the jumper block from the preout-amp in on the HK and route it through the Rotel's preamp out.

Since ecks_xnm is coming over to also audition his gears at AVShop, this would be a nice time to bring in the LSi9 and HK3470 and see how the LSi9 would fare with the HK3470 as amp+Rotel RA04SE as preamp, vis a vis how the LSiM 703 would sound with the HK3470 with its onboard preamp.
Gay Stereophile

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 05:40 PM »
Well I already own an HK amp (HK3470) I'll just take off the jumper block from the preout-amp in on the HK and route it through the Rotel's preamp out.

Since ecks_xnm is coming over to also audition his gears at AVShop, this would be a nice time to bring in the LSi9 and HK3470 and see how the LSi9 would fare with the HK3470 as amp+Rotel RA04SE as preamp, vis a vis how the LSiM 703 would sound with the HK3470 with its onboard preamp.

Pwede ka din mag-biamp so you'll have control over the tweeters.   :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 05:49 PM »
Try pairing the LSi9s to something that has serious grip and current capacity at this price point (like the NAD C375BEE or the Roksan Kandy K2). You might end up with a more satisfying system in the end. :)

If you want something brighter that's fairly cheap, the CA 740A might be a good pick. :)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 06:03 PM »
Try pairing the LSi9s to something that has serious grip and current capacity at this price point (like the NAD C375BEE or the Roksan Kandy K2). You might end up with a more satisfying system in the end. :)

If you want something brighter that's fairly cheap, the CA 740A might be a good pick. :)

this also comes to mind - Class D nga lang

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,109776.0.html

Heard the LSi9s with Marc's Onkyo A5VL (also class D) and carried itself well - very bright (which is good) and had decent bass, not as full as the HKs, but I can always augment with a sub
Gay Stereophile