Author Topic: Polk Audio's new LSiM Series  (Read 54770 times)

Offline ecks_xnm

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • "simplify your life and know God"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Polk Audio's new LSiM Series
« Reply #60 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 08:21 PM »
Oist paging Xandric! o kelan tayo magkikita dun?

;D FRIDAY!! Haha! But I'll be a bit late because of work. And yes I'll bring the 04se so you can give it a try/listen.  :)

Actually, I went there a while ago.  ;D But I didn't bring my amp, saving it for Friday's session. Compared the lsi m703s to B&W CM5 & AE Radiance 1. It's the 703s for me! Haha! Everything rests on Friday's session, that's when I'll decide if indeed I should get one. See you at Marc's place.  :D

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #61 on: Nov 25, 2011 at 08:11 PM »
The LSiM speakers sound very very good when matched well. :)

Nelson had a chance to hear it. :)

Offline Topper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Nov 25, 2011 at 08:22 PM »
which gear and wires did you end up trying? which combinations tickled your fancy? :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #63 on: Nov 25, 2011 at 10:34 PM »
It was hooked up with marc's plinius power amp. A Rotel integrated was used as a preamp. And my CA 740c as a source.

It was jaw dropping! Never has any bookshelf sounded this huge.  :o It's quite easier to drive than the LSi9s which became laid back when compared to the LSiMs. It's a very good match for any floorstander in its price range. Very dynamic with the plinius power amp. Polk outclassed itself again with the LSiMs. Definitely on top of my wish list.  :D Metal instruments sounded al dente and not harsh on my ears. The mids were very present. The string instruments were immediate and prompt. And the plump mid-lows and lows is really something to die for in a bookshelf.

Thanks for bringing it here in our islands.  :D

Definitely a very good option for anybody lookin for BS or FS speakers within the budget.

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Nov 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM »
It was hooked up with marc's plinius power amp. A Rotel integrated was used as a preamp. And my CA 740c as a source.

It was jaw dropping! Never has any bookshelf sounded this huge.  :o It's quite easier to drive than the LSi9s which became laid back when compared to the LSiMs. It's a very good match for any floorstander in its price range. Very dynamic with the plinius power amp. Polk outclassed itself again with the LSiMs. Definitely on top of my wish list.  :D Metal instruments sounded al dente and not harsh on my ears. The mids were very present. The string instruments were immediate and prompt. And the plump mid-lows and lows is really something to die for in a bookshelf.

Thanks for bringing it here in our islands.  :D

Definitely a very good option for anybody lookin for BS or FS speakers within the budget.

Upgrade ka na master? ;)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Nov 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM »
Upgrade ka na master? ;)

Definitely of course!

In my dreams.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Nov 26, 2011 at 12:58 AM »
which gear and wires did you end up trying? which combinations tickled your fancy? :)

We had quite a few items at our disposal. Nothing truly high end or state-of-the-art, but we found an odd mix that really worked.

This combination sounded great:
Cambridge Audio 740C CD Player -> Cambridge Audio Azur IC -> Rotel RA-1520 Integrated (as Preamp) -> Monster THX I100 IC -> Plinius SA-50 Power Amp -> Generic AWG12 Speaker Wires -> LSiM 703.

The sum of parts made for a very crisp and urgent presentation, with realistic weight and tension. The Plinius power amp made the biggest difference on the electronics side though, and I think it's because it's a truly high current design (this amp is very capable of low impedance loads). The system sounds good with the amp in Class AB operation, but running in Class A adds an extra modicum of polish that brings the set firmly into high end territory.

Being capable of this much with relatively humble gear, it makes me wonder how it'd sound when paired with upper tier components. Another thing that surprised me is how easily the speaker paired with different cables and electronics. It never sounded bad.

Special thanks to:
1. Nelson for bringing a worthy source and investing on world peace
2. Marc for the lovely power amp and having the venue to make this possible
3. Manoj and Sanjay for bringing these wonderful speakers over
4. James and Rey for their tireless support

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Nov 26, 2011 at 02:54 AM »
Is it better than the LSi9? I think it's a significant improvement on what had been a good speaker for over a decade. It sounds more open and revealing, with a little more shimmer, snap, and extension. I also noticed less nasality in the midrange, coupled with fleet-footed lows.

The LSiM 703 could revitalize the sub-100k bookshelf speaker segment. I honestly can't think of a better one at this price point; the only downside being that it sounds less spectacular with weaker amps (budget tube and flea amp owners may be better off looking elsewhere). The Rotel RA-1520 or the Cambridge Audio 740A would probably be the lowest that I'd go. I could imagine it delivering great (if a bit laid back) music with the NAD C375BEE too, as this amp is truly an unsung hero at this price segment (due to its outstanding current capability).
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2011 at 08:01 AM by Stagea »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Nov 26, 2011 at 07:22 AM »
the only downside being that it sounds less spectacular with weaker amps (budget tube and flea amp owners may be better off looking elsewhere).

Yeah but it's tad easier to drive compared to the LSi9s and bi-ampable.  :D I just wonder...  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Nov 26, 2011 at 08:00 AM »
Yeah but it's tad easier to drive compared to the LSi9s and bi-ampable.  :D I just wonder...  ;D

Mukhang bibili ka na ah. ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Nov 26, 2011 at 08:15 AM »
Yeah but it's tad easier to drive compared to the LSi9s and bi-ampable.  :D I just wonder...  ;D

I agree. It went fairly loud with the 50 watter Plinius and the 60 watter Rotel. :) The Plinius is a current monster though, and as with all Pliniuses I had been fortunate to use... very easy to listen to. :) There are bright and warm Pliniuses, but all seem to have that effortless "easy on the ears" sound.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2011 at 08:18 AM by Stagea »

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Nov 26, 2011 at 08:56 AM »
its the Pepsi challenge bud :).

Glad to hear its living up to expectation :). Can't wait to hear the synergy you guys were able to cook up :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Nov 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM »
Glad to hear its living up to expectation :). Can't wait to hear the synergy you guys were able to cook up :)

Let us know when you'd want to try it, so that we can bring the stuff over. I would've wanted to take my electronics with me, but it'd be a huge mess to dismantle my gear.  

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 08:30 AM »
Check out the new Polk lsi m series with Rotel integrated amps. :)

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 05:13 AM »
Had a chance to audition this yesterday.  Nice, very nice ... though for me they do not present a strong enough argument to upgrade from my current LSi9 set.  If I were looking for a new setup, the ease of driving the LSiM (88db/8ohms versus 88db/4ohms) would probably sway me to it since it would probably be easier to find electronics that would do it justice.  Aesthetically, while LSiM is more sexy, I prefer the more professional look of the LSi series. 
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 07:56 AM »
Had a chance to audition this yesterday.  Nice, very nice ... though for me they do not present a strong enough argument to upgrade from my current LSi9 set.  If I were looking for a new setup, the ease of driving the LSiM (88db/8ohms versus 88db/4ohms) would probably sway me to it since it would probably be easier to find electronics that would do it justice.  Aesthetically, while LSiM is more sexy, I prefer the more professional look of the LSi series. 

Yeah, they're a good deal easier to drive. :)

Some go into the extremes of pairing them with dinky amps (at least for aesthetic purposes)....

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 08:15 AM »
Talk about spartan!  This seems to verify for me my thinking that speakers should be given the highest priority in a setup.  Other components are of course important but selection should start with the speakers with the rest of the system being chosen so you get what you want (speakers singing with their full voice).  

Listening now on the RTi A9, which is comparable in cost to the LSiM 703, I think I'd still go for the A9.  Midrange of the A9 seems comparable, if not better, and the bass is definitely superior.  For the highs, I can't give an opinion yet.  

[ADDED]
My hearing was diagnosed as "less than par", really.  So this is just my opinion and it is always best to form one's own - audition, audition, audition.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2011 at 08:28 AM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #77 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 08:19 AM »
Will audition this today and bring my Parasound 2channel power amp. Tignan natin ano kahihinatnan  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 09:37 AM »
Will audition this today and bring my Parasound 2channel power amp. Tignan natin ano kahihinatnan  ;D

Ayun o. :)

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 01:52 PM »
The Polk Audio site say for the LSiM707, "compatible with 8 ohm outputs" - what does this mean?   Why only 300 watts?  :)

I noticed to that it has a "subwoofer" then a "midrange/bass" driver, then a separate "bass" driver.  It must have been quite complicated to balance these.  Is this a commonly employed configuration?

This is all suppose to significantly improve the distortions.  Do speakers have distortion ratings?
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2011 at 01:53 PM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline mikeer2002ph

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 02:47 PM »

Kaya nga im thinking of a secondary stereo system, since the LSi9s are geeky looking speakers - too beautiful and rare to end up in the 'marketplace', but the 703s are more brighter at everything 'flat'.

The LSiM703 is also much forgiving for electronics whether its a class D or class AB amp

I like the paintjob of the 703s .. and the grilles are on a league of its own

Only gripe with the 703s is the higher cabinet resonance when music is being played (put your hand on top of the 703s while music is playing and compare it with the 9s and you know what I mean), the cabinet is not as 'solid' anymore as compared to the 9s
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Nov 30, 2011 at 04:38 PM »
The Polk Audio site say for the LSiM707, "compatible with 8 ohm outputs" - what does this mean?   Why only 300 watts?  :)
It probably still drops quite a bit below 8 ohms, but they didn't want to alienate customers with amps that aren't rated to drive "4 ohm" or "6 ohm" speakers. The language is appropriate however, as many other makers just badge an "8 ohm nominal" spec on speakers that present very difficult loads (yes, some "8 ohm nominal" speakers drop below 2 ohms and trigger protect modes in certain amps).

I noticed to that it has a "subwoofer" then a "midrange/bass" driver, then a separate "bass" driver.  It must have been quite complicated to balance these.  Is this a commonly employed configuration?
Multi-way arrays have been around for sometime.

This is all suppose to significantly improve the distortions.  Do speakers have distortion ratings?
Speakers introduce the greatest amount of distortion in a typical system. Makers just don't quote their measurements partly because it doesn't look good, and partly because it's far more complex and hard to interpret (you can't just put it as a part of a numeric spec sheet and make sense). :)

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 11:35 AM »
I was able to audition this sexy speakers yesterday paired with my Parasound poweramp.

Hmmm. Initial impression... I think it's not match with my Parasound, too forward and bright for me.
In my opinion it's character is between RTi and previous LSi series when paired with my poweramp.

But still these are great sounding speakers. Mids and highs are clear and detailed. Those who are fond listening to female voices will love these new LSIMs. Also it excels in bass department. It can go quite deep that you can actually feel it  ;)

For for now... Will try out this week for other options  :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 07:39 PM »
Master Billabong and I did some cable rotation today, and we still ended up liking the same combination that worked before.

Our golden-eared test subject (let's hypothetically call him "Paul") was blindfolded and was asked to differentiate between three sets (Brands V, P and G). I agree that our methodology may not be the most scientific, but we arranged the test to go against the trend by using three sets and putting what I find the most desirable cable first (supposedly, A/B testing statistics show that people tend to prefer the second set when listening to different gear). Our test subject immediately noticed some differences, and favored the first combination. "Paul" had never heard this cable/gear combination before, but he clearly liked what he heard (at least against the other choices at hand). He did not know that he was choosing between three sets (he was under the impression that there were only two sets being switched around), yet he clearly noticed differences between all three sets. He deserves a 24K golden ear award. :)
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2011 at 07:46 PM by Stagea »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Dec 02, 2011 at 05:46 AM »
I was able to audition this sexy speakers yesterday paired with my Parasound poweramp.

Hmmm. Initial impression... I think it's not match with my Parasound, too forward and bright for me.
In my opinion it's character is between RTi and previous LSi series when paired with my poweramp.

But still these are great sounding speakers. Mids and highs are clear and detailed. Those who are fond listening to female voices will love these new LSIMs. Also it excels in bass department. It can go quite deep that you can actually feel it  ;)

For for now... Will try out this week for other options  :)

There are a lot of speakers out there to choose from. Just choose the ones that'd suit your preference. :)

Speakers voiced to measure near flat in terms of FR (like most speakers from Polk, Infinity, PSB, Focal, Wilson, Mordaunt-Short, Revel, etc.) tend to sound "forward" to people who aren't used to this character (this is partly a function of the Fletcher-Munson curve).

Men are particularly sensitive to midband harshness (especially elderly ones), which is why many prefer the sound of speakers (or systems) with a "gundry dip" -- or an attenuated response in the 6th to 7th octaves. Since the hifi audio market is dominated by adult men, many speakers are thus designed to appeal to the typical hearing preference of this demographic. The local hifi sound largely reflects this preference, and is quite different from the typical american/canadian hifi sound (which had been guided by their hifi press' emphasis on measured performance in the 70s and 80s).

To illustrate, these would likely be popular speakers to the typical Filipino enthusiast (and I've heard many coin the term "neutral" for such a response):

These are likely what many Filipinos might describe as bright, forward, shouty, clinical, sterile, tinny or brittle sounding speakers (when they are  much closer to flat/neutral from objective measurements):

There really is nothing wrong with preferring one over the other (and I appreciate both kinds), as long as we don't use the former ones for mastering recordings as-is (unless we intend to make the recording sound good only on gear with a similar character). I prefer to use the terms pleasant, musical, sonorous, etc. for the prior curves, and neutral, flat, accurate, etc. for the latter curves.

Of course, frequency response is only one of the many factors that can affect the apparent performance of a speaker, but it typically is among the few that make the biggest impact. This is most evident in conventional HiFi systems, as most HiFi people are processing-averse. In typical Home Theater and Pro Audio environments, the response curves are often pre-equalized in the active domain.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011 at 06:07 AM by Stagea »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Dec 02, 2011 at 07:41 AM »
^Another informative and professional grade write up master Ivan. Thanks  :)

There are a lot of speakers out there to choose from. Just choose the ones that'd suit your preference. :)

+1
Totally agree

Men are particularly sensitive to midband harshness (especially elderly ones)

Tumatanda na ata ako  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Dec 02, 2011 at 07:52 AM »

There really is nothing wrong with preferring one over the other (and I appreciate both kinds), as long as we don't use the former ones for mastering recordings as-is (unless we intend to make the recording sound good only on gear with a similar character).

This is sometimes a problem for me when buying local music in cds. They sometimes sound compressed even though i haven't heard the master copy. Is this primarily because they were pre-equalized to be listened in commercial players and the likes?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Dec 02, 2011 at 08:25 AM »
^Another informative and professional grade write up master Ivan. Thanks  :)

You're welcome, Master Louie. In case you're wondering, the curves above are from the following brands:
1. Harbeth
2. B&W
3. Mordaunt-Short
4. Revel

Tumatanda na ata ako  ;D  ;D  ;D
Hindi pa bro. :) Malayo pa yun. :)

This is sometimes a problem for me when buying local music in cds. They sometimes sound compressed even though i haven't heard the master copy. Is this primarily because they were pre-equalized to be listened in commercial players and the likes?

They compress/constrict the material in terms of dynamic range (and sometimes frequency range too) to ensure that it plays louder without excessive unpleasant distortion. This allows the music to reach a larger audience (since it'd still be listenable with less capable gear), and/or play louder/suffer less degradation when broadcast over the air.

Isa pa diyan ang "loudness wars." Record labels are churning hotter and hotter records, as this seems to sell.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011 at 08:41 AM by Stagea »

Offline Topper

• Collector
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Dec 03, 2011 at 12:01 AM »

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #89 on: Dec 03, 2011 at 10:17 AM »
Speakers voiced to measure near flat in terms of FR (like most speakers from Polk, Infinity, PSB, Focal, Wilson, Mordaunt-Short, Revel, etc.) tend to sound "forward" to people who aren't used to this character (this is partly a function of the Fletcher-Munson curve).

These are likely what many Filipinos might describe as bright, forward, shouty, clinical, sterile, tinny or brittle sounding speakers (when they are  much closer to flat/neutral from objective measurements):

xxx...Of course, frequency response is only one of the many factors that can affect the apparent performance of a speaker, but it typically is among the few that make the biggest impact.

+ 1 tera

i believe this frequency response plot should be included as basis when describing the sonic charecteristic of a speaker, especially in terms of whether or not it measures flat or neutral. because it puzzles me when people recommend a specific model/brand and say that speaker X  sounds neutral compared to speaker y, when in fact the FRP indicates otherwise.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2011 at 10:20 AM by pa3ck608 »
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i