Author Topic: Cinemalaya 2011  (Read 8155 times)

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
Cinemalaya 2011
« on: Jun 10, 2011 at 05:16 AM »
SEE THE UNSEEN IN CINEMALAYA 2011 MADE BIGGER AND BETTER THIS YEAR

Thirty one digital films in competition, plus more than a hundred in exhibition, new sections, and a second festival venue all make Cinemalaya bigger and better this year.  With the tagline in festival ads beckoning audiences to “See the Unseen”, Cinemalaya films this year tackle such themes as passion, memory, truth, despair, obsession, terror and splendor.

Cinemalaya will reach a wider audience as it will be held in two places at the same time:  its main venue at the Cultural Center of the Philippines, CCP Complex and at Greenbelt 3 in Makati City, in cooperation with Ayala Theaters Management.  The addition of Greenbelt 3 as a second major venue for the festival is part of the vision of Cinemalaya organizers to make the Festival more accessible to the growing number of audiences that attend Cinemalaya.

Now on its seventh year, Cinemalaya is a project of the Cinemalaya Foundation, Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP), Film Development Council of the Philippines and Econolink Investments, Inc. It is an all-digital film festival that aims to discover, encourage and honor cinematic works of Filipino filmmakers that boldly articulate and freely interpret the Filipino experience with fresh insight and artistic integrity.

Cinemalaya’s main competition categories are the New Breed full length feature category and the Short Feature category featuring works by new directors. The Directors Showcase is a competition for works by established directors.

Nine films will compete in the New Breed full length feature category; ten in the Short feature category and four in the Directors Showcase.

Competing in the New Breed category are: Amok (Amok) by Lawrence Fajardo;  Ang Babae sa Septic Tank (The Woman in the Septic Tank) by Marlon Rivera and Chris Martinez; Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa (The Dance of Two Left Feet) by Alemberg Ang and Alvin Yapan; Bahay Bata (Baby Factory) by Eduardo W. Roy, Jr. and Jerome Zamora; Cuchera by Joseph Israel M. Laban; I-libings: Your Loss, Our Luck (E-funerals) by Rommel Andreo Sales; Ligo na U, Lapit Na Me (Star Crossed Love) by Noel Ferrer, Jerry Gracio and Erick Salud; Nino by Loy Arcenas; and Teoriya (Father’s Way) by Alistaire Christian E. Chan.

The ten finalists in the Short Feature category are: Debut by Pamela Llanes Reyes, Every Other Time by Gino M. Santos, Hanapbuhay (Source of Living) by Henry Frejas, Hazard by Mikhail Red, Immanuel by Gabriel “Gio” Puyat, Nino Bonito by Rommel “Milo” Tolentino, Oliver’s Apartment by Misha Balangue, Samarito (Samaritan) by Rafael L. Santos, Un Diutay Mundo (One Small World) by Ana Carlyn V. Lim  and Walang Katapusang Kwarto (An Endless Room) by Emerson Reyes.

The four finalists in the Directors Showcase are: Bisperas (Eve) by Jeffrey Jeturian; Busong (Palawan Fate) by Auraeus Solito; Isda (Fable of the Fish) by Adolfo Alix Jr. and Patikul by Joel C. Lamangan.

New sections will spice up this year's Cinemalaya menu.   Focus Asia will feature eight independent works by Asian directors from Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, Singapore and Japan. The Ronwaldo Reyes Retrospective, presented in cooperation with the Society of Filipino Archivists for Film, will highlight the directorial works of National Artist Fernando Poe Jr., better known to Filipinos as an action star.  The Cinemalaya Documentary section, presented in cooperation with Calata Corporation, offers a hefty and more substantial helping of films on various aspects of Philippine life and society.

Two theaters at Greenbelt 3 will be dedicated to Cinemalaya on July 16-24, 2011.  The films to be shown at Greenbelt will be those in competition in the New Breed Full Length Feature category, the Short Feature Category, the Directors Showcase, and NETPAC Philippine Premieres.  The films of the  new Focus Asia section of Cinemalaya will also be shown at Greenbelt.

At the CCP, the Festival will be held in seven venues. The opening ceremony is slated on July 15, 6:00 pm followed by the festival opening film at the CCP Main Theater. The Cinemalaya Awards Night will be held on July 24, 7:00 pm at the same venue.

Other sections of the Cinemalaya are the NETPAC Philippine Premieres with eight competing films, Ani (a harvest of the best Filipino Indie Films of the past year), Kids Treats (indie films for children) and Midnite Specials (indie films with adult themes). Cinemalaya will also organize the Cinemalaya Film Congress, which will carry the theme Building Bridges Across Asia Through Films, and other film related events such as the Sine Taktakan (forum with 2011 Cinemalaya filmmakers), lectures and exhibits.

Cinemalaya Website:  http://www.cinemalaya.org/index.htm

Cinemalaya 2011 Facebook Page:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cinemalaya-2011/122851157761998

Offline geckoph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cinemalaya 2011
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2011 at 08:05 PM »
Read that Eugene Domingo got a standing ovation? That good?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2011 at 08:48 PM »
I'm glad they're having screenings in Greenbelt. It's more convenient for me. I managed to catch Ang Babae sa Septic Tank today and yes, it's that good. Eugene Domingo gave a great performance as a caricature of herself as an actress. Very funny.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2011 at 11:29 PM »
I'd like to take this opportunity to promote the film of a friend: Bahay Bata by Eduardo Roy Jr. I haven't seen it yet but I do know him personally so I'm inviting you guys to check it out and support him. :)

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2011 at 07:07 AM »
Busong (Palawan Fate) - A poetic tribute to the indigenous people & culture of Palawan, it features beautiful cinematography & music. The Cannes review posted in The Hollywood Reporter says the story is generally incomprehensible, but I really did not find it so. There is a narrative flow revealing each character's story & presenting the problems facing Palawan. The final magical scene with the butterflies is wonderfully visualized & realized.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2011 at 01:31 PM »
Haven't seen it yet but as a rule The Hollywood Reporter can't comprehend anything more complicated than Spielberg.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 01:10 PM »
Amok (Lawrence Fajardo): Law outdoes himself. Compared to Inarritu. Better than Inarritu. Much, much better.   * * *

Bleak Night ( Yoon Sung-Hyun): The title's not ironic. This is a high school movie haunted by demons. Possibly the best Cinemalaya film I've seen so far. Vibrant filmmaking capped by an ending that is as quiet as it is devastating. * * * * *

Busong (Aureus Solito) Searingly beautiful yet emotionally remote. I felt nothing all throughout the film except maybe an uneasiness at one or two instances where the Apichatpong cribbing gets profuse and overt and being terribly impressed at Aureus' conviction and dedication to his material. Louie Quirino's cinematography is amazing, though. Still, left me cold. * * 1/2

I-Libings (Rommel Sales): Visually flat, almost sloppy, overbearing music, rather ugly . . . but its second half comes emotionally alive. Uniformly fine acting specially from Glaiza De Castro and Earl Ignacio. * *

Niño (Loy Arcenas): I hate opera. I hate family dramas. I hate child actors. All of which figure prominently here. I loved it. Probably unflattering to compare it to Ang Lee during his arthouse prime but this reminds me a bit of Eat Drink Man Woman or even Olivier Assayas' Summer Hours, not in the sense that it blatantly copied elements (the lifting was more glaring in Busong) but in terms of the deft ensemble dynamics. Lewd and funny yet somehow sober, despite being increasingly prone to melodrama. Fides Cuyugan-Asensio is a delight and gets to deliver not only the film's funniest lines but the film's funniest line: "Paabot nga ng patis." You had to be there. * * * *  

San Lazaro (Wincy Ong): Pitched somewhere between Edgar Wright and Chito Rono, albeit without the former's slavish geekiness and the latter's  visual flair but also without the latter's foolish insistence to attempt million dollar CGI effects on several thousand pesos. Entertaining and surprisingly, or may be not so much, clever. There are two subtle twists in the end that are arguably more satisfying than anything by Shyamalamadingdong, perhaps because Wincy doesn't make too much of a fuss about revealing it. * * *

Ang Sayaw Ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa (Alvin Yapan): Bizarre love triangle melding feminist poetry, dance and pop music that's really a broken valentine to obsolescence.  * * *  

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 01:14 PM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM »
Saw two films today that are oddly enough very complimentary of each other. They deal with both birth and death.

i-Libings (i-Funerals) (Rommel Andreo Sales) *** - A college film student reluctantly accepts an internship at a funeral house which offer video coverage for internet and DVD (for the purpose of relatives abroad unable to attend). The first hour or so of this film is just okay. Well-acted, well-made dramedy which reminds me a bit of Crying Ladies (another Filipino dramedy that is set in the world of funerals and the dead). Nothing special. The film comes alive in the third act twist which I will not reveal here and for me, at least, made the film into a pretty unique depiction of the effect of video and the internet on everyday human drama.

Bahay Bata (Baby Factory) (Eduardo Roy Jr.) ***1/2 - I shall preface this review by saying I happen to be friends with the director and the publicist of this film but I will try to keep it as objective as possible. The film is simple: It focuses on one night (Christmas Eve) in a maternity hospital that predominantly serves poor and lower-class pregnant women. We get to see bits and pieces of stories involving the patients, the nurses and the doctors, both comic and tragic; good and bad. The film is quite a harrowing achievement, almost documentary like in its honesty. The presence of well-known actress Diana Zubiri is the only thing here that reminds you that it's basically a fictitious narrative film. It is almost a distraction but she acquits herself well here. The film is of course a relevant issue in Philippine society about the state of the reproductive health of poor women in the country but it mostly doesn't hit your hit with it and remains as honest as possible. This is the best film of the festival so far, I must say. Yes, I was being objective.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2011 at 04:18 AM »
Cuchera (Joseph Laban): Sloppy directing and from time to time horrendous dialogue mars its promise. The almost unflinching gruesomeness can be refreshing for a Cinemalaya film but this reminded me too much of Kinatay for comfort albeit without the restraint and the aesthetics and the skill. * *

Rakenrol (Quark Henares): Jun Sabayton and Ramon Bautista are my favorite bits. * *

Zombadings (Jade Castro) Roderick Paulate and Martin Escudero are comedy gold but Euegene Domingo on rollerskates is utter genius. .* * * *
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2011 at 04:20 AM by X44 »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2011 at 02:20 PM »
Amok (Lawrence Fajardo) ***1/2 - Set in a famously busy and hectic intersection in downtown Manila where all sorts of people pass by and go about their day, the film has various characters and storylines that are tied together in an explosion (of sorts) of violence in the third act. It is rather reminscent of films like Short Cuts and Magnolia in the multiple characters and storylines structure. This is a tighter, quicker paced film but Fajardo manages to give all his characters enough depth and time to make an impression to the audience. It helps that they're played by an exceptionally talented group of actors. I particularly loved the opening sequence, such a superb piece of editing and the film itself is an exemplary piece of filmmaking. 

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2011 at 07:09 AM »
Amok is technically remarkable; with points for directing, editing, cinematography & logistics. I have experienced how hard it is to control crowds during film shoots, so the way they were able to shoot this in broad daylight in bustling Pasay is a feat in itself.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2011 at 07:10 AM by jas »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2011 at 07:14 AM »
Cinemalaya 2011 Winners:

New Breed (Full-Length) Category:

Best Film - Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank
Best Director – Marlon Rivera (Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank)
Special Jury Prize: Niño
Best Actress – Eugene Domingo (Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank)
Best Actor – Edgar Allan Guzman (Ligo Na U, Lapit Na Me)
Best Supporting Actress – Shamaine Buencamino (Niño)
Best Supporting Actor – Art Acuña (Niño)
Best Screenplay – Chris Martinez (Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank)
Best Cinematography – Arvin Viola (Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa)
Best Production Design – Laida Lim (Niño)
Best Editing – Lawrence Fajardo (Amok)
Best Original Music Score – Christine Muyco and Gemma Pamintuan (Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa)
Best Sound – Mike Idioma (Amok)

Short Feature Film Category:

Best Film - Walang Katapusang Kuwarto
Best Director – Rommel Tolentino (Niño Bonito)
Special Jury Prize - Hanap Buhay
Best Screenplay – Emerson Reyes (Walang Katapusang Kuwarto)

Directors’ Showcase Category:

Best Film - Bisperas
Best Director – Aureaus Solito (Busong)
Special Jury Prize – No winner
Best Actress – Raquel Villavicencio (Bisperas)
Best Actor – Bembol Roco (Isda)
Best Supporting Actress – Julia Clarete (Bisperas)
Best Supporting Actor – Jaime Pebangco (Patikul)
Best Screenplay: No winner
Best Cinematography – Roberto Yñiguez (Bisperas)
Best Production Design – Rodrigo Riccio (Bisperas)
Best Editing – Benjamin Tolentino (Isda)
Best Original Musical Score – Diwa de Leon (Busong)
Best Sound – Diwa de Leon (Busong)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM »
Amok is technically remarkable; with points for directing, editing, cinematography & logistics. I have experienced how hard it is to control crowds during film shoots, so the way they were able to shoot this in broad daylight in bustling Pasay is a feat in itself.

Lawrence Fajardo should do a director's commentary on the DVD. I'm sure he has a lot of stories on how they managed to pull this off.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2011 at 07:44 PM »
I really hope they think about commercial distribution soon.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 25, 2011 at 09:19 PM »

This was actually my top choice for Best Pic & Direction. Skillful editing, great ensemble acting with no leftover character and intense climactic finale! and you can almost feel the pulse of the crowd in that big scene before the finale!
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2011 at 09:20 AM by keating »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2011 at 06:59 AM »
Cinemalaya 2011 Goes UP Schedule

The Cinemalaya tradition continues in University of the Philippines Diliman for the Cinemalaya Goes UP! For those who have failed to watch the screenings in Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) and Greenbelt 3, this is your chance see the unseen and catch these rare films.

Now in its seventh year, the UP Cineastes’ Studio brings the hottest films of the Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival to the UP Film Institute, Diliman from July 26 to August 5, 2011. Tickets are priced at P80.00 and are available at UP Film Center Box Office

Schedule:

July 26
Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa – 5:00pm
Babae sa Septic Tank – 8:00pm

July 27
Amok – 5:00pm
Bahay Bata – 8:00pm

July 28
Cuchera – 5:00pm
I-libings – 8:00pm

July 29
Niño – 5:00pm
Ligo na U, Lapit na Me – 8:00pm

Aug 2
Teoriya – 5:00pm
Bisperas – 8:00pm

Aug. 3
Isda – 5:00pm
Busong – 8:00pm

Aug 4
Shorts A – 5:00pm
Patikul – 8:00 pm

Aug 5
Shorts B – 5:00pm
New Breed Best Picture: Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank – 7:00pm
Directors Showcase Best Picture: Bisperas – 9:00PM

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2011 at 01:29 PM »
If the films from the Metro Manila Film Festival were THIS good and THIS interesting, I would actually WELCOME the embargo on Hollywood/foreign films for two weeks in December.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2011 at 02:56 PM »
If the films from the Metro Manila Film Festival were THIS good and THIS interesting, I would actually WELCOME the embargo on Hollywood/foreign films for two weeks in December.

I'm not hopeful but yeah, me,too. And then half the population on PinoyDVD will burn us at the stake for such blasphemy. :D

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2011 at 05:28 PM »
"Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank" will get a nationwide release on Aug 3, awesome! Can't Wait!

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 01:22 AM »
"Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank" will get a nationwide release on Aug 3, awesome! Can't Wait!

This is great news.  It's about time these movies get a wide release.

Offline northern portrait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 03:21 AM »

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2011 at 02:00 AM »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2011 at 02:11 AM »

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2011 at 06:04 PM »
"Ligo na U, Lapit na Me" opens nationwide on August 17 ...

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 01, 2011 at 07:19 PM »

Offline Hitman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Signature Move: The Sharpshooter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #26 on: Aug 01, 2011 at 10:39 PM »
Guys where can we watch these films? Any major cinemas?

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 02, 2011 at 12:08 PM »
^ The film festival itself is over. It was held at CCP, Greenbelt 3 & UP Cine Adarna.

However, some of these films (hopefully all) will get a wider release. Two of the films that will be getting a wider release are already posted above.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 02, 2011 at 05:46 PM »

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 04, 2011 at 08:28 PM »
PEP Alerts - Ligo na U, Lapit na Me has been rated R-13 without cuts by the Movie and Television Review and Class http://ht.ly/1e5PQC