Author Topic: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey  (Read 1937 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
« on: Feb 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM »

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is the follow-up to the original, groundbreaking 13-part series, Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, which aired in 1980 and was hosted by Carl Sagan. The new series will once more present the wonders of the universe plus the delve into the possible origins of time and space, and will be hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Carl Sagan's widow Ann Druyan co-created the new series, along with astrophysicist Steven Soter, who was also a producer of the original series. Seth MacFarlane is also listed as executive producer.

number of episodes: 13
network: FOX
premiere date: March 9, 2014

Trailer:
http://youtu.be/aHa7EYgF3mE

...can't wait for this; I watched the original series and enjoyed it a lot; I guess astronomy is still one of my guilty pleasures, heh
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014 at 12:32 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM »
can't wait to see my man, Neil deGrasse Tyson, take the helm after his mentor, the late great Carl Sagan. this is going to have a local airing in cable, right?

Offline hotrod

• Collector
  • Yippie-kay-yay!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2014 at 09:40 AM »

It will be shown on National Geographic Channel Asia.

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2014 at 10:09 PM »
on Fox HD as well. very intriguing. hope it lives up to the hype.

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2014 at 06:41 PM »
It will be on NatGeo on March 12, 10pm...  :)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM »
first episode was almost spiritual and a celebration of Carl Sagan's life and work. it will definitely make you want more and now I can't wait for the next episodes.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM by leomarley »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2014 at 01:31 AM »
another great episode this week!

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2014 at 08:36 PM »
Neil deGrasse Tyson and his Spaceship of the Imagination flew by the Banaue Rice Terraces before the close of last Sunday's episode (excellent episode, btw)
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2014 at 08:36 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2014 at 09:18 PM »
man i'd love to leave in a city like the one shown in the end.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2014 at 01:03 AM »
Neil deGrasse Tyson and his Spaceship of the Imagination flew by the Banaue Rice Terraces before the close of last Sunday's episode (excellent episode, btw)

I've been following this at nat geo channel. It was the last episode when Ifugao  and rice terraces were mentioned.
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2014 at 05:31 PM »
The Cosmos finale was a fitting send-off for the series--when they played Carl Sagan's speech from the original series about the Earth being a "pale blue dot", I got goosebumps.  8)

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2014 at 05:57 PM »
I got bored... deliberately missed the succeeding episodes.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2014 at 08:59 PM »
The Cosmos finale was a fitting send-off for the series--when they played Carl Sagan's speech from the original series about the Earth being a "pale blue dot", I got goosebumps.  8)

me as well. it was a very emotional experience hearing Dr. Carl Sagan and his famous "Pale Blue Dot" speech.

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2014 at 09:02 PM »
BTW, here is Carl Sagan's speech in text form:

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space