Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205018 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2013
« Reply #1560 on: Nov 18, 2013 at 04:02 PM »
Up by 2 pts and ball possession with less than 10 seconds left, sabi ko wag lang mag steal panalo na ito.  Potek na steal ng Letran!  Buti na lang na steal ulit ng San Beda and was fouled for 2 free throws, hence the final score. 

Whew, what a game.  Tumaas ang BP ko hahaha!! 

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #1561 on: Nov 18, 2013 at 04:23 PM »
only dela rosa gradustes. Team still intact. Fight for 5!

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1562 on: Nov 29, 2013 at 02:29 AM »

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1563 on: Nov 29, 2013 at 05:37 AM »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1564 on: Nov 29, 2013 at 07:13 AM »
maglalaro kaya yung mga na-draft na?
ninjababez online ..

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #1565 on: Nov 29, 2013 at 08:18 AM »
^ And will the incoming players be fielded (ex. DLSU's Mbala)? Hope this is going to be televised.
We deserve better.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1566 on: Nov 29, 2013 at 03:55 PM »
Mbala won't be available to play until 2015.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1567 on: Nov 29, 2013 at 05:02 PM »
^ But this game is just an exhibition match and not a UAAP game. Isn't he already playing for DLSU in other tournaments?
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2013 at 05:03 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1568 on: Nov 29, 2013 at 05:57 PM »
Has he? I have not read about that.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1569 on: Nov 29, 2013 at 07:05 PM »
^ But this game is just an exhibition match and not a UAAP game. Isn't he already playing for DLSU in other tournaments?

I think he can play since it's just an exhibition game.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1570 on: Dec 03, 2013 at 06:28 AM »
From AksyonTV Sports: 'Champions for a Cause' will air on TV5 on December 7 from the SMART Araneta Coliseum at 12nn.
We deserve better.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1571 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 08:12 PM »
Kobe Paras leaves for US, joins LA high team

Good for him. I hope he does well over there. And hopefully he can be the cornerstone of future Gilas teams.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2013 at 08:13 PM by sardaukar »

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1572 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM »

Good for him. I hope he does well over there. And hopefully he can be the cornerstone of future Gilas teams.

may matinding player na namang papalakihin ang SMC Corporation, siguradong pag time na para mag pro, by CROOK or by CROOK, sa kanila mag lalaro si Kobe Paras, assuming hindi sya ma draft ng NBA.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #1573 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM »
Bobby Ray Parks also left NU to try his luck in the US. 

Probably the only pinoy baller in his teens ever mentioned in Sports Illustrated, I hope he can reach his potential in the US.  Eric Altamirano ran a very rigid system that didn't really benefit Bobby Ray.

The next 5 years look good for our Team Pilipinas.  Let's hope politics and greed don't stand in the way of us getting the best basketball team possible.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1574 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 06:40 PM »

I thought he'll be playing for DLSU.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #1575 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 08:08 PM »
Not really a shoo-in for Kobe because the father mentioned he had other options even if he is under the care of Danding. If opportunities there are bright, good for them. If not, they can always come back here just like Japeth.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1576 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 08:39 PM »
Bobby Ray Parks also left NU to try his luck in the US. 

Probably the only pinoy baller in his teens ever mentioned in Sports Illustrated, I hope he can reach his potential in the US.  Eric Altamirano ran a very rigid system that didn't really benefit Bobby Ray.

The next 5 years look good for our Team Pilipinas.  Let's hope politics and greed don't stand in the way of us getting the best basketball team possible.

No doubt Ray Parks Jr has a good shooting touch but he is not as hard driving as his Dad used to be.
If only he can attack the basket like Jerone Teng then he'll be hard to stop.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1577 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 09:20 PM »
No doubt Ray Parks Jr has a good shooting touch but he is not as hard driving as his Dad used to be.
If only he can attack the basket like Jerone Teng then he'll be hard to stop.

He has a better chance to succeed in the US with shooting though. The game right now is geard towards wing or perimeter players as evidenced by household names such as Wiggins and Jabari Parker.  A premium on shooting seems to be the trend nowadays.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #1578 on: Apr 11, 2014 at 07:05 PM »
FINALLY, the actual rootcause is being tackled and discussed in the open.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/excessive-perks-given-to-athletes-root-cause-of-uaap-problems-says-feus-molina

Like I've long ranted in these UAAP/NCAA threads, these cronies and tycoons who openly RECRUIT and PAY high-school standouts (even non HS seniors) and their relatives, are the rootcause of whatever ills the UAAP & NCAA have.

It's no secret that guys like Danding Cojuangco, MVP & Sy's henchmen openly pirate, recruit and PAY HS standouts, their relatives and even potential college transferees (NU's Santiago sisters, anyone?) using their checkbooks.

This has been the norm for decades now and its a mystery that nobody seems to deplore these unethical practices.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1579 on: Apr 11, 2014 at 07:14 PM »
FINALLY, the actual rootcause is being tackled and discussed in the open.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/excessive-perks-given-to-athletes-root-cause-of-uaap-problems-says-feus-molina

Like I've long ranted in these UAAP/NCAA threads, these cronies and tycoons who openly RECRUIT and PAY high-school standouts (even non HS seniors) and their relatives, are the rootcause of whatever ills the UAAP & NCAA have.

It's no secret that guys like Danding Cojuangco, MVP & Sy's henchmen openly pirate, recruit and PAY HS standouts, their relatives and even potential college transferees (NU's Santiago sisters, anyone?) using their checkbooks.

This has been the norm for decades now and its a mystery that nobody seems to deplore these unethical practices.

That's ugly. That's cheating. But what can we do? Those young athletes want their dreams come true so we can't blame them for accepting the best offers to them as they try to make the best out of their careers.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1580 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 04:54 AM »
If the US NCAA can impose it, why can't we? 

Let's face it, the college leagues in the PH are highly commercialized and politicized, even on smaller leagues like the CESAFI and the Tiong Lian Basketball Association.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1581 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 08:33 AM »
If the US NCAA can impose it, why can't we? 

Let's face it, the college leagues in the PH are highly commercialized and politicized, even on smaller leagues like the CESAFI and the Tiong Lian Basketball Association.

Impose what bro?

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Re: NCAA / UAAP 2013
« Reply #1582 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 09:31 AM »

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1583 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 09:44 AM »
Strict rules on amateurism.

http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-amateurism

It's good that the US NCAA has streamlined their existing rules and regulations ...... however, they've always disallowed direct "benefits" being given by benefactors to student/prospects.

Take this recent article ......

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/kobe-paras-move-to-us-has-blessings-of-la-salle-backer-cojuangco-says-dad-benjie-v02

“As of now syempre, priority pa rin niya yun (commitment with La Salle). Syempre si Boss Danding naman kasi yung nagpapa-aral sa kanila sa high school … silang magkapatid (ni Andre), syempre, priority pa rin namin ang La Salle,” said Paras.

Benjie Paras basically confirms that his son's HS schooling are funded by Danding Cojuangco (!) - all for the final goal of securing the services for the UAAP seniors.

How about Alvin Teng being hired as assistant-coach for SMCorp's ABL team, at about the same time that Jeron Teng committed to play for DLSU.

Even a whiff of such things will trigger an investigation in the US NCAA..

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #1584 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM »
some schools can only offer "minutes per game" para ma retain ung players nila sa senior..

The Pats way...

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1585 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM »
some schools can only offer "minutes per game" para ma retain ung players nila sa senior..

Indeed, minuto lang ang pangako ...... itong sina Danding, etc. pag-aaralin ang HS prospect and/or babayaran ang mga kamag-anak mo.

Hindi tama ...... hindi patas. 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1586 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 01:09 PM »
It's good that the US NCAA has streamlined their existing rules and regulations ...... however, they've always disallowed direct "benefits" being given by benefactors to student/prospects.

Take this recent article ......

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/kobe-paras-move-to-us-has-blessings-of-la-salle-backer-cojuangco-says-dad-benjie-v02

“As of now syempre, priority pa rin niya yun (commitment with La Salle). Syempre si Boss Danding naman kasi yung nagpapa-aral sa kanila sa high school … silang magkapatid (ni Andre), syempre, priority pa rin namin ang La Salle,” said Paras.

Benjie Paras basically confirms that his son's HS schooling are funded by Danding Cojuangco (!) - all for the final goal of securing the services for the UAAP seniors.

How about Alvin Teng being hired as assistant-coach for SMCorp's ABL team, at about the same time that Jeron Teng committed to play for DLSU.

Even a whiff of such things will trigger an investigation in the US NCAA..

Hard to say but if you are the father of a super athlete, you will also want him to get the best offer the world can give him.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1587 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 01:59 PM »
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/356279/sports/campussports/uaap-ue-red-warriors-tap-derrick-pumaren-as-head-coach

Manong Derrick (Pumaren) is new head coach of the UE Warriors.

Younger brother Dindo who is former head coach of UE is his main assistant.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1588 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 02:28 PM »
Hard to say but if you are the father of a super athlete, you will also want him to get the best offer the world can give him.

Of course, I would want my son to get the best the world can give him ........ but what I've been seeing in the UAAP for a long time now - what parents want and what is ethical & fair can be two VERY different things.

Call me old-fashioned, I wouldn't take anyone's money just to get my son to commit to something down the road ...... it's not what I was taught growing up.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1589 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 07:21 PM »
Of course, I would want my son to get the best the world can give him ........ but what I've been seeing in the UAAP for a long time now - what parents want and what is ethical & fair can be two VERY different things.

Call me old-fashioned, I wouldn't take anyone's money just to get my son to commit to something down the road ...... it's not what I was taught growing up.

But who can resist the best offer being offered scholarships plus allowances and a bright future for the whole family by a certain investor?
As an investor of course you will only give the best offer if you see a good future of your investments and they just make those irresistable offers but they don't force those athletes to accept, its up to them to agree or reject the offers.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014 at 08:43 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!