Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205210 times)

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2011
« Reply #30 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 05:47 PM »
I'm not one who buys the argument about playing time ..... I'm in agreement with you that the best players will get the playing time.

I too know of the early recruitment practices from ages ago ..... and yes it's likely that Beda has been magnified because they're winning (check out SSC's All-Filipino Champ t-shirts a few years back, hehe).

However, I was thinking along a similar vein as Fr. Calauag's open-letter ...... it's more on a foreigner taking the place of a homegrown talent. Our's is a basketball-mad country with courts even in the most obscure places possible (graveyards even).

There's absolutely no shortage of basketball talent (Phil basketball setting talent anyways) here. The PBA is deluged with amateur hopefuls every draft ..... there's way too much amateur talent here in the country & not enough pro/am leagues to cater to them. Well hope you get my drift here .....

That's just me ..... like I said, I think Beda's lineup is rock-solid & winning a 'chip this year (will be a top contender IMO) sans Daniel might change a few opinions out there.

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2011 at 05:48 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 07:26 PM »
Why recruit anyway? To win? Are the UAAP/NCAA pro now?

I'm sure you guys passed the entrance exams of your respective schools. Wouldn't you want your players to do so as well? And why is it that the UAAP/NCAA are seemingly synonymous to basketball? What about other sports?

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 08:01 PM »
i'm also from UST. it saddens me coz they havent done the proper recruitments to solidify their team in the past seasons?
kulang tlga sa BIG MEN plus an explosive point guard.
during my college days in UST we have the best players (home grown pa wlang IMPORTS or Fil-ams), halos lahat ng members reached the PBA, evangelista, bal david, edmund reyes, rudolf belmonte, tanquinsen, espino, cantonjos, etc.

sir im a good friend of udoy belmonte, magkasama kami sa engineering, graduated 1992.

it seems UST is not able to lure good players because of the highly commercialized way of recruiting players nowadays, huge allowance, board and lodging so blue chip players ends up with the school that can offer lucrative package

same is true with Volleyball.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 08:10 PM »
sir mattia is it ok to also discuss volleyball in this thread? since UST has not been that good in basketball, I have shifted my liking to volleyball moreso on WVT not juts becasue of the pretty players but WV in our country has improved a lot. Reason why I opened this up was becasue of how NU was able to get two excellent players from UST and this is becasue of lucrative offers they gave the players.

I think the manner of recruitment nowadays has really gone too commercialized but just the same, Im sure there will still be players who will not be lured by this but by the school pride so he will still end up playing for a particular school he really wants too.

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #34 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 08:18 PM »
I'm done watching UAAP years ago when I heard players selling games from different sides. Parang nangyayari na yung nangyari dati sa PBA na puro imports, o kung sa liga mga "dukot"  ;D It's all about the money now, not school pride. Since ABS-CBN aired NCAA and UAAP, that was it. They capitalized on that craze, gone are the pure telecast of Trillo and Javier kahit primitive pa. And basketball only gives the big limelight, volleyball once in a while pag tsix ang mga players tulad sa Ateneo  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2011 at 08:20 PM by krets pulpol »
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 08:55 PM »
sir im a good friend of udoy belmonte, magkasama kami sa engineering, graduated 1992.

it seems UST is not able to lure good players because of the highly commercialized way of recruiting players nowadays, huge allowance, board and lodging so blue chip players ends up with the school that can offer lucrative package

Udoy's big bro Doc Mon was my batchmate in high school San Beda.  Udoy himself is from San Beda ;D  Okay yan si Udoy.  PBA Player turned Pilot!! 

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #36 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 09:02 PM »
sir mattia is it ok to also discuss volleyball in this thread? since UST has not been that good in basketball, I have shifted my liking to volleyball moreso on WVT not juts becasue of the pretty players but WV in our country has improved a lot. Reason why I opened this up was becasue of how NU was able to get two excellent players from UST and this is becasue of lucrative offers they gave the players.

I think the manner of recruitment nowadays has really gone too commercialized but just the same, Im sure there will still be players who will not be lured by this but by the school pride so he will still end up playing for a particular school he really wants too.

By all means.  Volleyball, Swimming, what have you.  It's a free for all thread actually.  It's just that, being a basketball crazy nation, mas madami lang talaga mahilig sa basketball.  But go ahead.  Start the discussion! I want to be in the know as well.  Especially that you mentioned pretty players ;D You got me interested.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 09:03 PM »
I'm done watching UAAP years ago when I heard players selling games from different sides. Parang nangyayari na yung nangyari dati sa PBA na puro imports, o kung sa liga mga "dukot"  ;D It's all about the money now, not school pride. Since ABS-CBN aired NCAA and UAAP, that was it. They capitalized on that craze, gone are the pure telecast of Trillo and Javier kahit primitive pa. And basketball only gives the big limelight, volleyball once in a while pag tsix ang mga players tulad sa Ateneo  ;D

this is what i feel is happening but probabaly because UST never had the chance to land excellent players, i just hope players will releive those days wherein players are really playing for pride, i could still recall the times when Ateneo and La Salle are fighting it out the era of the canlas' was it for ateneo or perhaps the times when locsin or limpot was still playing.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 09:26 PM »
By all means.  Volleyball, Swimming, what have you.  It's a free for all thread actually.  It's just that, being a basketball crazy nation, mas madami lang talaga mahilig sa basketball.  But go ahead.  Start the discussion! I want to be in the know as well.  Especially that you mentioned pretty players ;D You got me interested.

hahaha i tell you sir, when the UAAP WV opens, do catch up with the games, you will be amazed at how great college volleyball have become, maybe not at far with Asian level but definitely very competitive. Defending champion is La Salle who lost just one game last season only becasue of technicality becasue of one player they fielded who played on another league while the UAAP is ongoing.

UST both MVT and WVT has been the best until last year for the WVT, La Salle is very strong this comming season but Ateneo is the defending champion for the V League, its a commercial league composed of the core of the players of the participating team who are NCAA/UAAP members too last time even including Visayas and Mindanao team.

pretty exciting to wacth and to prep you up try searching for the pics of these players becasue they are really excellent players.

UST

Maru Banaticla
Rhea Dimaculangan
Kat Carangan

FEU

Vargas

NU

Marivic Nepomuceno

ATENEO

Gretchen Ho
Fille Cainglet
Bea Pascual

LASALLE

Michelle Gumabao

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #39 on: Jul 01, 2011 at 02:12 AM »
ATENEO

Gretchen Ho
Fille Cainglet
Bea Pascual

This is a short list, imho.  It should be longer.  :D

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 01, 2011 at 04:31 AM »
this is what i feel is happening but probabaly because UST never had the chance to land excellent players, i just hope players will releive those days wherein players are really playing for pride, i could still recall the times when Ateneo and La Salle are fighting it out the era of the canlas' was it for ateneo or perhaps the times when locsin or limpot was still playing.

kanino ba nagsimula yung pagpapalaro ng mga dukot? Ito lang ang alam kong talagang dukot, playing for a school he was not enrolled in. and anong school lang ba ang nanalo ng championship game only to lose it eventually to technicality, dahil sa mga pinaglarong mga dukot players! ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #41 on: Jul 01, 2011 at 11:35 AM »
Basketball observer here since the 80's ...... my humble 2-cents on above discussions:

** I too was not so high on SAN BEDA's recruitment of African-based players the past few years ..... same with DLSU's heavy Fil-Am recruitment during the 90's (Cortez, Cardona, Allado, Wilson, Castro, Ramos, Jose, etc) & to an extent ADMU (Alvarez, Cruz, etc).

It's all above-board & legal, but it just doesnt make for a level-playing field (La Salle even had Mike Gonzales then, a US-based player agent who scouts & recruits Filams).

I recall ADMU's Fr. Calauag writing an open-letter of sorts, years ago ..... his observations were that Filam player recruitment might send the wrong message & could displace equally-deserving homegrown players. He admitted that ADMU & a few other schools were active into the Filam recruitment.

** SAN BEDA's recent recruitment of African-based players had set a (bad?) precedent, as many other collegiate teams had followed suit.

I'm in no way a SAN BEDA basher .... I think that their local crew (sans the other players) is pretty solid & would still be among the contenders.

** UST had great results in the 90's via their UST-HS & regional-based recruitment. Aric Del Rosario (and FEU's past coaches) preferred Pampanguenos with a sprinkling of Visayas-based players.

UST & FEU (and UE) still pretty much gets players the same way ..... unfortunately, the other teams had notched up their own systems.

DLSU's Filam recruitment had waned through the years replaced by solid recruitment from mostly NCAA junior teams, elevating standout HS players (Maierhofer, Webb,etc) & recently, a very lucky coincidence of having then coach F.Pumaren, as a Phil Youth Team head coach.

ADMU meantime went several notches higher ...... strategic recruitment from great provincial based programs (Baclao, Slaughter, etc). 

As for NU having Ray Parks Jr ..... let's just say, that I dont think that Parks Jr. will shun a US NCAA Division I school, if the Paguia family were still running NU. Having the richest Filipino as owner, will do wonders for NU's athletic progams.

in my opinion, OK lng mgrecruit ng Fil-Ams but definitely a NO NO to recruit foreign players w/c San Beda has the money and luxury to do so in the past few years.
much better maghanap nlng ng mga taga olongapo, pampanga na ala Calvin Abueva.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 01, 2011 at 11:39 AM »

yes udoy he's now a pilot right?
nakasama ko sya in some classes sa mechanical eng'g
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 02, 2011 at 02:36 AM »
This is a short list, imho.  It should be longer.  :D

ATENEO WVT additional

denden lazaro
ella de jesus
dzi gervacio
kara acevedo

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 10:59 AM »
Nagkakagulo pa UAAP regardin sa eligibility ni Slaughter and Parks.
I feel they should just let them play since they're Fil-Ams.
What should should prohibit are those IMPORTS mostly from Africa nowadays.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #45 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 11:04 AM »
^ nagkakagulo sila dahil lahat sila gusto kunin si Slaughter and Parks, kaso NU is now owned by Lucio Tan and Bobby Parks is their sports coordinator...saan ka pa?  ;D

San Beda was at the helm for some time until MP came in...in reality the more budget you have the more good players you get. They buy them?..absolutely. And with Ateneo out of MP's mind...it's all San Beda getting all the moolah.  

FilAms killed the PBA, I just hope it wont happen in the NC/UA.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2011 at 11:10 AM by frootloops »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 11:07 AM »
Nagkakagulo pa UAAP regardin sa eligibility ni Slaughter and Parks.
I feel they should just let them play since they're Fil-Ams.
What should should prohibit are those IMPORTS mostly from Africa nowadays.

They should prohibit non-students.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 11:17 AM »
^ nagkakagulo sila dahil lahat sila gusto kunin si Slaughter and Parks, kaso NU is now owned by Lucio Tan and Bobby Parks is their sports coordinator...saan ka pa?  ;D

San Beda was at the helm for some time until MP came in...in reality the more budget you have the more good players you get. They buy them?..absolutely. And with Ateneo out of MP's mind...it's all San Beda getting all the moolah.  

FilAms killed the PBA, I just hope it wont happen in the NC/UA.

for me ok lng fil-ams to spice up the leagues but NO NO to imports coz this is just the collegiate level where young aspirants should be exposed to competitions.

wla na ba sila mahanap sa mga far away provinces in search of raw talents w/c they can improve and create an impact in later years? SAn Beda w/ MVP has the money to invest on that Badtrip lng tlga to see them get IMPORTS that make the league inbalance.
napapagaya tuloy un other schools.
UST from what i know is also parading two African imports and also 1 from UP.
The leagues should put an end to this to give much exposure for home grown talents.
sayang lng un mga gnagawang camps ng NIKE eh ang dami naman pwede hugutin dun na talents from different schools nationwide.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 03:48 PM »
^ I have no issues with Fil-Ams playing in the amateur leagues ...... they're still Filipinos, though settled down elsewhere.

However, as written in my earlier post, DLSU's Fil-Am recruitment during the 90's was a bit different ..... aside from having a known sports-agent handle their Filam recruitment, the number of Filam players they recruited was excessive IMO ..... right of the bat, Cortez, Cardona, Castro, Ramos, Allado, Wilson, Jose, etc.

Even the PBA realized the potential backlash & negative perception that a team overflowing with Filams will have ..... thus, they instituted a 5-Filam per team rule years ago.

As for import players ..... I have stated my opinion on them in my earlier posts.

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2011 at 03:50 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #49 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 04:25 PM »
Parks and Slaughter are allowed to play in UAAP 74!!! For NU, they will be definitely strong contenders if they can back up parks. From what i've seen, once you shutdown parks, the rest of the team is quite manageable.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 04:58 PM »
for UST, quite dissapointing to me to see how jeric teng plays, i have been reading and hearing in the past that this guy is a superstar in the junior's league and can easily score 50 points a game but everytime i get the chance to see UST play last year, i dont think he is really good.or is it a case of not getting the good breaks really?

with slaughter now cleared to play, Ateneo will be hard to beat, they are the defending champion yet they added a very tall player at 6'11" and pehaps the best player coming from the juniors keiffer ravena

by the way sino na ba ang best center, forward and pointguard ngayon sa UAAP?

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #51 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 05:02 PM »

sir froots, NU is owned by henry sy, not lucio tan.. lucio tan owns UE.. feu and nu owned by henry sy..

nevertheless lucio tan doesnt really care about sport (other than golf).. but his son does..

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 05:07 PM »
for me ok lng fil-ams to spice up the leagues but NO NO to imports coz this is just the collegiate level where young aspirants should be exposed to competitions.

wla na ba sila mahanap sa mga far away provinces in search of raw talents w/c they can improve and create an impact in later years? SAn Beda w/ MVP has the money to invest on that Badtrip lng tlga to see them get IMPORTS that make the league inbalance.
napapagaya tuloy un other schools.
UST from what i know is also parading two African imports and also 1 from UP.
The leagues should put an end to this to give much exposure for home grown talents.
sayang lng un mga gnagawang camps ng NIKE eh ang dami naman pwede hugutin dun na talents from different schools nationwide.

Does UP now, have the money to finance getting imports? I don't think so. If that foreigner studies in UP then he must have qualified academically to study in UP. And I doubt the other players much more the University Student Council would allow UP's sports budget, what little of it, to just go to one foreign player.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 05:22 PM »
for UST, quite dissapointing to me to see how jeric teng plays, i have been reading and hearing in the past that this guy is a superstar in the junior's league and can easily score 50 points a game but everytime i get the chance to see UST play last year, i dont think he is really good.or is it a case of not getting the good breaks really?

with slaughter now cleared to play, Ateneo will be hard to beat, they are the defending champion yet they added a very tall player at 6'11" and pehaps the best player coming from the juniors keiffer ravena

by the way sino na ba ang best center, forward and pointguard ngayon sa UAAP?

Yup, Teng has been somewhat of a disappointment ...... he was tearing up the junior Chinoy leagues - but even then wasn't seen as tough as past products like Yeo, Tang, etc. Let's hope he improves dramatically this season.

Besides, scoring prowess in junior leagues isn't really an accurate guage for seniors .... many past super-scorers e.g. recently UST's Dizon, who was scoring 40pts regularly, yet became just average senior players.

Right of the bat, FEU's Ramos & ADMU's Slaughter should be the top centers ....   fowards are ADU's Colina & ADMU's Salva ..... PG is defintely FEU's Garcia (AFAIK Paul Lee will not play his final year).  

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2011 at 05:25 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 05:30 PM »
Yup, Teng has been somewhat of a disappointment ...... he was tearing up the junior Chinoy leagues - but even then wasn't seen as tough as past products like Yeo, Tang, etc. Let's hope he improves dramatically this season.

Besides, scoring prowess in junior leagues isn't really an accurate guage for seniors .... many past super-scorers e.g. recently UST's Dizon, who was scoring 40pts regularly, yet became just average senior players.

Right of the bat, FEU's Ramos & ADMU's Slaughter should be the top centers ....   fowards are ADU's Colina & ADMU's Salva ..... PG is defintely FEU's Garcia (AFAIK Paul Lee will not play his final year).  

tyvm sir newwave, guess i have not been paying much attention to  the games as I dont know the players you have mentioned anymore

going back to jeric teng, is jeron teng joining UST this year or next year? i wish UST can find a very good talent or is it UST needing a new coach?

Offline vinci

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #55 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 06:57 PM »
going back to jeric teng, is jeron teng joining UST this year or next year? i wish UST can find a very good talent or is it UST needing a new coach?

aside sa walang superstar player, mukhang coach ang problema sir.  sa daming beses ko napanood ang uste na napakalaki ng lamang, lagi sila nahahabol. at pag crunch time na.walang play na ma design or ma execute ng matino.parang di nila mapalitan si pido kasi 1st season pa lang nya napag champ na niya agad, pero mga sumunod na season..wala na..i guess kelangan na rin sya palitan.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 07:06 PM »
aside sa walang superstar player, mukhang coach ang problema sir.  sa daming beses ko napanood ang uste na napakalaki ng lamang, lagi sila nahahabol. at pag crunch time na.walang play na ma design or ma execute ng matino.parang di nila mapalitan si pido kasi 1st season pa lang nya napag champ na niya agad, pero mga sumunod na season..wala na..i guess kelangan na rin sya palitan.

thats what i thought, yung mga games na napapanood ko ang sama talaga ng patterns ng UST and they really suck big time in protecting their lead, ang sama pa ng rotation ni pido sa players nya

yung panalo nila againts ateneo ba yun, swerte lang eh, nawala lang talaga sa hwisyo yung player ng ateneo, it more of bad breaks for Ateneo than good exectuion from UST. Im from UST but sad to say, I am not liking their basketball program kaya sa taas na posts ko sabi ko baka pwedeng isama na din sa thread ang volleyball at least dun UST is really tough, ilang sunod na champion sa men's and sa women's

another observation, mukhang malas sa pointguard and UST di maka execute ng maayos sa games

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 07:34 PM »
tyvm sir newwave, guess i have not been paying much attention to  the games as I dont know the players you have mentioned anymore

AFAIK Jeron is still in HS ..... however, I have a gut feeling that he wont choose UST once he makes it to the seniors.

Like I said in my earlier post, UST has always been consistent in it's recruitment practices - majority are from Pampanga (Aric Del Rosario's backyard), while the rest come from Visayas & NCR junior leagues & a few top-rated UST Pay High talents ..... by the way, UST & ADMU used to be the only schools who elevate most of their HS players, with other perennial contenders content to raid mostly the Ato Badolato-school of great HS players (SBC Juniors).

It's just the other schools have taken their recruitment system a few notches higher.

DLSU's 90's Filam recruitment had waned through the years replaced by solid recruitment from mostly NCAA junior teams, elevating standout HS players (Maierhofer, Webb,etc) & just recently, had a very lucky coincidence of having ex-coach Franz Pumaren serve as Phil Youth Team head coach.

ADMU had strategic recruitment from great Senior provincial based leagues (Baclao, Slaughter, etc).

I do agree that Jarencio needs to go ..... offense is stagnant despite the guard-based lineup. UST has recently been a nice source of good basketball coaches e.g. Tanquincen, Favis, Chua, etc ..... maybe it can convince one of them to give the UAAP a try (Favis was a good amateur coach, led Letran & UST Juniors to 'chips).

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 08:19 PM »
AFAIK Jeron is still in HS ..... however, I have a gut feeling that he wont choose UST once he makes it to the seniors.

Like I said in my earlier post, UST has always been consistent in it's recruitment practices - majority are from Pampanga (Aric Del Rosario's backyard), while the rest come from Visayas & NCR junior leagues & a few top-rated UST Pay High talents ..... by the way, UST & ADMU used to be the only schools who elevate most of their HS players, with other perennial contenders content to raid mostly the Ato Badolato-school of great HS players (SBC Juniors).

It's just the other schools have taken their recruitment system a few notches higher.

DLSU's 90's Filam recruitment had waned through the years replaced by solid recruitment from mostly NCAA junior teams, elevating standout HS players (Maierhofer, Webb,etc) & just recently, had a very lucky coincidence of having ex-coach Franz Pumaren serve as Phil Youth Team head coach.

ADMU had strategic recruitment from great Senior provincial based leagues (Baclao, Slaughter, etc).

I do agree that Jarencio needs to go ..... offense is stagnant despite the guard-based lineup. UST has recently been a nice source of good basketball coaches e.g. Tanquincen, Favis, Chua, etc ..... maybe it can convince one of them to give the UAAP a try (Favis was a good amateur coach, led Letran & UST Juniors to 'chips).

oh isnt it that binky also coached sa MBA? sana nga tulungan naman nila ang UST,

I was sruprised to know Eric Altamirano na pala coach ng NU, talagang very aggresive ang NU sawa na din siguro sa palaging sila ang whipping boys before pero ngayon mukhang UST na ang nasa lugar na yun, Chua is ALfrancis right? I also like that guy sya yung coach ng Tanduay sa PBA , nasan na kaya mag yan sila ang kalingan ng UST ngayon, pag panonoorin mo mga laro ng UST, walang kabuhay buhay, para ka lang nanonood ng limahan sa kanto

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 05, 2011 at 08:51 PM »
oh isnt it that binky also coached sa MBA? sana nga tulungan naman nila ang UST,

I was sruprised to know Eric Altamirano na pala coach ng NU, talagang very aggresive ang NU sawa na din siguro sa palaging sila ang whipping boys before pero ngayon mukhang UST na ang nasa lugar na yun, Chua is ALfrancis right? I also like that guy sya yung coach ng Tanduay sa PBA , nasan na kaya mag yan sila ang kalingan ng UST ngayon, pag panonoorin mo mga laro ng UST, walang kabuhay buhay, para ka lang nanonood ng limahan sa kanto

Hehe, great observations on UST's recent basketball showing ...... it's spot on. Stagnant & not enough effort compared to the old days of Bal David, Dale Singson, etc.

Cant recall if Binky Favis ever coached in the MBA ........ he was a good-defensive coach in the pros but was solid in the amateurs leading Letran & Juniors to 'chips.

Yup, that's Alfrancis Chua ...... one of the more hot-headed coaches out there, but has swagger that rubs off on his players ..... guys like Webb, Rubi, Cantonjos, Telan, Gallent, etc had very decent PBL stints because of Chua.

You're correct ..... NU is sparing no expense in trying to make an impact in the UAAP. Eric Altamirano is a decent motion-offense coach ..... was a disciple of Jacobs for a time.

Like I said, I dont think that Ray Parks Jr. will shun a US NCAA Division I school, if the old Paguia family were still running NU. Having the richest Filipino as owner, will do wonders for NU's athletic progams.