Author Topic: Metro Manila Film Festival 2011-2012  (Read 31673 times)

Offline BusyChild

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Metro Manila Film Festival 2011-2012
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 09:02 AM »
This early, some are predicting that Panday 2 will be the top grossing film of the MMFF this year.

Eh diba ang MMFF movies naman, ang target ay kids or general patronage. Kahit sabog sabog ang kwento, basta kumita lang. So kung top grossing, malamang panday 2 nga...
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline sharkey360

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 09:25 AM »
Sino may gusto ng family drama sa MMFF?

Regal's MMFF drama features an all-star cast

Regal Multimedia, Inc. brings together five of the industry’s gorgeous and formidable actors in this year’s family drama, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow.

Original Regal Baby Ronaldo Valdez’s role as Agot Isidro’s ultra-rich yet paralyzed husband will touch moviegoers’ hearts as his wife cheats on him.

Ronald has again proven his prowess in the acting department what with the awards he has reaped for previous movies and teleseryes.

His first movie under Regal was the company’s maiden offering, Kayod sa Araw, Kayod sa Gabi.

For his part, Gabby Concepcion delivers a highly-emotional performance as Maricel Soriano’s estranged husband who is torn between his girlfriend Carla Abellana and his ex-wife.

Like Ronaldo, Gabby has already received several acting awards and so he has managed to hold his own against his equally-talented co-stars.

Meanwhile, Jericho Rosales and Dennis Trillo are expected to wrestle for the Best Actor trophy as they pit talents in their respective dramatic scenes.

Jericho plays Lovi Poe’s husband who has low regard for women. Cold hearted in the beginning, the actor’s character goes through a major change when his and Lovi’s child dies in a tragedy that befalls their family.

Moviegoers will relate to and feel Jericho’s pain in that scene where he cries and holds his dead child in his arms.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=757454&publicationSubCategoryId=70

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM »
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow should've been titled Cliche 1, Cliche 2, Cliche 3.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 11:08 AM »
Trailer ng Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mWRzn7IUoQ

What do you think?

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 12:10 PM »
From the Philippine Star

When will our film producers be globally competitive?

Once a year, from Christmas Day on Dec. 25 up to the first week of January, the Philippine film market closes up in a protectionist move to support local filmmakers with all-Tagalog movies in the annual Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF). Has this project succeeded in elevating the quality of Philippine movies or has it just given local producers an annual fiesta for low risk and fast bucks in a market inaccessible to Hollywood flicks?

Have film producers maximized this golden opportunity to attempt better-quality, globally competitive movies that can be exported to a wider international audience, similar to South Korea, Hong Kong or even Thailand, or are they still using tired old formulas and slapstick comedy? Are the big-name and very expensive stars still as potent at the box office as before or are the storylines and overall quality as important for the local market?

I recently joked to my business friends that if our movie producers and TV networks won’t take the necessary risks and go the extra mile to upgrade the quality and fun of Philippine films, thus dumbing down we, the viewers, I threatened to venture into this business even as a hobby with the late Steve Jobs and director Zhang Yimou as my inspirations. No kidding.

Why don’t our entrepreneurs in cinema innovate and become world-class? Can entrepreneurs without the advertising clout of TV networks succeed in making local films? Onerous movie industry taxes are now down so it’s no longer suicidal to venture into the movie business, unlike before. Also, the masses and we, the middle-class, are now far more intelligent and much better informed than ages ago due to globalization of access to international films with cheap DVDs and the Internet. The instant and not-PR-driven film reviews from social media like Twitter or Facebook have also rewarded good films and trashed badly made ones.

When I asked Pilipino Star Ngayon tabloid showbiz columnist and UP Diliman political science graduate Lolit Solis about why the box office of local movies has been strong this year despite the Philippine economy slowing down, she said: “Isn’t it always like that: When people have problems, they prefer to be entertained and to escape reality with fun movies.”

Which of the competitors in the 2011 MMFF will be the most popular at the box office?

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=757416&publicationSubCategoryId=82

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 01:57 PM »
I think many of our local producers have very low opinion on the intelligence of the masses, specifically the C-D-E crowd. Basta may artista pupunta sila. Ayaw nila ng bago. Ayaw nila ng story na ibang klase (tragic endings, open endings, etc.).

That may be true to a certain extent but the box-office successes of Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank and Zombadings both prove that to be new and inventive and (in the case of the latter) having no big-named stars is not necessarily box-office poison.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 02:45 PM »
This is the last for the SRR franchise and RIP already!

Will they save the best for last? But with Jerrold Tarog who came up with Punerarya episode last year and Richard Somes who megged YANGGAW....looks promising.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2011 at 05:42 AM »
Time to give indies a big break

I applaud the decision of organizers of the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) to also screen full-length independent films and student short films.

The two categories are included in the filmfest’s New Wave Section, which will be shown at Robinson’s Galleria ahead of the mainstream entries.

It’s time we gave indie films the exposure they deserve. Judging from the last Cinemalaya film festival, there is a growing audience for indies, made up mostly of students and young adults.

This is an encouraging development in an industry that appears to have gone stagnant, with fewer films produced each year.

One thing going for indies is that they are cheaper to make than are mainstream films. That’s because they are usually shot digitally, a process that costs less than film. The actors are also paid a pittance, but that hasn’t stopped big-name stars from appearing in indies.

Indies are also the perfect breeding ground for new talent. A growing crop of directors like Brillante Mendoza got their training from independent films.

Filipino-made independent films are consistent winners in international filmfests, showcasing the Filipino’s talent in cinema.

The problem is that indies seldom get booked in commercial theaters, so filmgoers don’t get to appreciate them. Theater owners are not keen on booking indies because they are not big box-office draws. Perhaps the biggest exception is Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank, which made a tidy sum when it was shown commercially.

More at http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=759711&publicationSubCategoryId=51

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2011 at 10:22 AM »
Direk Tikoy reportedly wants his name removed from Manila Kingpin because the producers monkeyed with his cut. Now, I'm starting to doubt whether or not I will see the only movie I'm considering seeing at the MMFF.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2011 at 04:23 PM »
Direk Tikoy reportedly wants his name removed from Manila Kingpin because the producers monkeyed with his cut. Now, I'm starting to doubt whether or not I will see the only movie I'm considering seeing at the MMFF.

Holy Alan Smithee Batman!!!!

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2011 at 07:41 PM »

Same thoughts here.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 08:50 AM »
Movie reviews posted online already!

Movie Review for Shake Rattle And Roll XIII
A Worthy Anthology

People tend to be dismissive about Shake Rattle and Roll. “Another one?” they ask sneeringly, before bemoaning the lack of original thought and talent present in the MMFF. And though there’s reason to bemoan the festival as a whole, it’s a bit misguided to rail against this particular series. These movies have historically featured bright talent and new ideas. The latest edition, Shake Rattle and Roll 13, happens to employ three of the best filmmakers around. And one of the episodes might be one of the best things the series has ever produced. It is, as always, uneven and a little too long, but the entire package is worth seeing.

The first episode, directed by Richard Somes, is Tamawo. It tells the story of a Bigbo (Bugoy Carino) who’s just moved out to the provinces with his blind mother (Maricar Reyes) and his abusive stepfather (Zanjoe Marudo). They soon encounter a group of monsters that are after something that’s been stolen from them. The story is ridiculously thin, with none of the pertinent details of the story fleshed out. It’s a terrible script, but strong filmmaking creates the illusion of dramatic escalation and suspense. Great production design combines with smart location shooting to at least give the segment a sense of scale. In the end, the story’s far too insubstantial to save, and the performances go too far over the top, but there’s no denying the quality of the production.

More at http://www.clickthecity.com/movies/?p=13534

Movie Review for Manila Kingpin: The Asiong Salonga Story
Bullet Points

Manila Kingpin: The Asiong Salonga Story seeks to retell the tale of the legendary Tondo gunman that rose to challenge the most powerful criminals in Manila. In a certain light, it succeeds, depicting a series of big events in Salonga’s tale with beautiful imagery. But in a more conventional light, the film doesn’t have enough connective tissue to make them anything more than a series of random vignettes. But it is an interesting failure, one that might still be worth watching in spite of the flaws. If nothing else, the ambition is keenly felt, producing singular sequences that rise far above the typical MMFF movie.

Small time gangster Asiong Salonga (George Estregan Jr.) has just taken over the territory of Tondo, throwing out the various outside gangs that run their protection rackets in the slum. This attracts the attention of Manila’s crime lords, who then set out to find a way to deal with the upstart criminal. Salonga’s Robin Hood ways make him a hero among the people of Tondo, but he has to contend with both criminals and lawmen, all while dealing with dissention in his ranks and the growing concern of his wife Fidela (Carla Abellana) over his lifestyle.

More at http://www.clickthecity.com/movies/?p=13532

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM »
A few weeks ago, I was channel-surfing and came across this talk show on another TV channel during prime time where a congresswoman was one of the anchors. I almost threw the apple that I was munching at my television set when she said, “Bakit, bababa ba ang presyo ng gasolina kung ikukulong si Gloria? Bakit, magkakaroon ba ng trabaho ang mga tao kung ikukulong si Gloria? Bakit, magkakaroon ba ng bahay ang mga tao kung ikukulong si Gloria?” If logical thinking can only be bought from a famous drug store chain named after the god of speed, I will buy this woman one hundred tablets of this medicine! I’m not rich but I will do this as my vital contribution to nation building. This brilliant congresswoman should watch Ang Panday 2 and learn the simple philosophical (and theological too for this idea was already expounded by St. Augustine in his writings many centuries ago) concept that there is no peace when there is no justice, that the foundation of peace is justice and definitely not grimy politics as thought of by non-educable and mosquito-brained, to borrow Miriam Defensor Santiago’s terminologies, traditional politicians.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/242673/lifestyle/reviews/ang-panday-2-justice-is-the-foundation-of-peace

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 04:03 PM »
Here it is! The big reception that occurred at one movie theater just minutes after the mall and ticket sales opened!

Love it or hate it, MMFF continues to attract a lot of Pinoys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHrlnriszAQ

Offline Shakatak

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 04:42 PM »
A few weeks ago, I was channel-surfing and came across this talk show on another TV channel during prime time where a congresswoman was one of the anchors. I almost threw the apple that I was munching at my television set when she said, “Bakit, bababa ba ang presyo ng gasolina kung ikukulong si Gloria? Bakit, magkakaroon ba ng trabaho ang mga tao kung ikukulong si Gloria? Bakit, magkakaroon ba ng bahay ang mga tao kung ikukulong si Gloria?” If logical thinking can only be bought from a famous drug store chain named after the god of speed, I will buy this woman one hundred tablets of this medicine! I’m not rich but I will do this as my vital contribution to nation building. This brilliant congresswoman should watch Ang Panday 2 and learn the simple philosophical (and theological too for this idea was already expounded by St. Augustine in his writings many centuries ago) concept that there is no peace when there is no justice, that the foundation of peace is justice and definitely not grimy politics as thought of by non-educable and mosquito-brained, to borrow Miriam Defensor Santiago’s terminologies, traditional politicians.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/242673/lifestyle/reviews/ang-panday-2-justice-is-the-foundation-of-peace

Pwede ito sa Showbiz Tsismis blind item..  ;D
SVSound or Nothing

Offline jbluzb

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 08:21 PM »
I lost faith in the Manila Film Fest a long time ago. No more originality.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 09:12 PM »
MMFF ticket price ranges from Php190.00 to Php205.00 at SM Cinemas ... Php200.00 naman sa Robinsons MovieWorld ... OUCH! :o

I hope presyong MMFF lang yan at babalik sa pre-MMFF ang presyo ng ticket.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2011 at 09:16 PM by geckoph »

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM »
MMFF ticket price ranges from Php190.00 to Php205.00 at SM Cinemas ... Php200.00 naman sa Robinsons MovieWorld ... OUCH! :o

I hope presyong MMFF lang yan at babalik sa pre-MMFF ang presyo ng ticket.

Alabang Town Center cinemas charged P170 for each MMFF films.

MMFF is about protectionism for local film producers.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
Another MMFF video recorded today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNdNNHBJPtQ

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2607
« Reply #49 on: Dec 25, 2011 at 11:43 PM »
nastuck kami sa roxas blvd dahil sa parada nito ;D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 26, 2011 at 07:05 PM »
nangunguna pala ang enteng ng ina mo, kulelat ung asiong salonga ;D

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 26, 2011 at 07:51 PM »
Any box office numbers yet?

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 06:27 AM »
The days of whine and MMFF

It is called fearless forecast. However, I’d rather call mine fearful forecast (scary if I get it wrong). Even in an awards race like the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) with only seven entries, you can never tell for sure.

For the second time around, the composition of the board of judges is a cross-section of society. From the most learned to school dropouts, who probably are watching movies for the first time (“Ohhh! Pictures that move  dazzling!”).

Or dropouts who are hopeless movie fans (“my screen idol can’t go wrong”) to the learned who find local flicks yucky  beneath their level (“Tagalog movies are kadiri!”).

But thank heavens there is still a section there that understands film and literature. They are the only hope for this year’s filmfest to hand the trophies to the truly deserving.

Unfortunately, this annual film festival that makes so much money for the government (being run by the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority or MMDA) keeps changing rules. One time in the early ’80s, the MMFF decided to give extra points to the entries with wholesome family values in the Best Picture category.

But what else is wholesome in today’s modern world? Even Justin Bieber gets (falsely) accused of getting some crazed woman pregnant.

Movies are supposed to reflect life where crime exists  like murder, rape and corruption (but only if you are a small fry, otherwise you are addressed as Hon.). Life is unpredictable and the flow of great movies is supposed to be like that  viewers cannot be several steps ahead of the story.

But going back to that infamous ’80s MMFF period that encouraged the entries to push for wholesome family entertainment (the idea was noble, but unrealistic). In the end, no thanks to the extra, undeserved points, the best picture turned out to be a senseless comedy that didn’t annex any award to its grand prize. Its overall result caused a lot of embarrassment to the organizers. You can Google the title, but it’s not worth the effort. The film  if you can call it that  is forgettable.

Or what about that year when the MMFF imposed an environmental theme? Except for one, the rest of the entries did not follow. The judges simply ignored the rules and the obedient one lost not only in the awards derby, but also at the box-office. 

At least, during the time when Bayani Fernando headed the MMFF (being the MMDA chairman), it was easier to guess the Best Picture winner after he required the entries to have commercial viability. The crappiest one that was devoured by the masses went home as the Best Film.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=762311&publicationSubCategoryId=70

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 08:46 AM »
Shake Rattle and Roll 13 got 4 out of 5 stars from Philbert Dy resident film critic of clickthecity.com. Almost perfect.

Ain't bad! First on my watch lists this week.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #54 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM »
Alabang Town Center cinemas charged P170 for each MMFF films.

MMFF is about protectionism for local film producers.

No sh1t.  I'd rather plunk down P170 on Tom Cruise's latest magnum opus than Kris Aquino's "scream queen" comeback or the umpteenth attempt of Gov. Bong Revilla to rip off Hollywood blockbusters

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 09:18 PM »

Offline anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 07:00 AM »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #57 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 08:00 AM »
When is the awards night?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 04:37 PM »
Day 1 gross sales on the MMFF.

(1) Enteng Ng Ina Mo - P38.5M
(2) Panday 2 - P20M
(3) Segunda Mano - P18.25M
(4) My Househusband, - P17.33M
(5) Shake Rattle & Roll 13 - P15.9M
(6) Yesterday Today Tomorrow, P10.1M
(7) Manila Kingpin: The Untold Story of Asiong Salonga - P3M.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 04:54 PM »
A conflicting Day 1 box office sales report

1. Enteng ng Ina Mo – P30.2M
2. Panday 2 –  P29.3M
3. Segunda Mano – P12.4M
4. My Househusband –  P10.5M
5. Shake,Rattle and Roll –  P9M
6. Yesterday today and Tomorrow –  P6.5M
7. Manila Kingpin: The Asiong Salonga Story –  P3M

http://pinoymanila.com/2011/12/26/2011-metro-manila-film-festival-mmff-box-office-results/