Author Topic: The Religion Thread  (Read 357737 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
Re: The Religion Thread
« Reply #1080 on: Oct 23, 2014 at 08:11 PM »
This is all that you need to know about religion and God:

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7152
« Reply #1081 on: Oct 23, 2014 at 08:12 PM »
being Christian is living your life the way Jesus Christ did....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #1082 on: Oct 23, 2014 at 08:55 PM »
pareho kami pananaw ni Klaus. Tara Klaus tayo na lang tayo religion natin! lel. ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1083 on: Oct 23, 2014 at 09:19 PM »
To be honest, I don't know. I believe in some form of a Supreme Being that created existence somehow. The nature of that Being, I don't claim to know.

Do you believe that when you die, you will be with your creator?

Jesus Christ is a wonderful inspiration to pattern your life to...
unfortunately religion has minimized his true worth....

Totoo yan. He is the ultimate example. Ang problema lang with some religion, if you don't belong to them, hindi ka na "saved". Ang problema pati, if you don't conform to their beliefs, you will be labelled a sinner. Well, in such cases, all of us are sinners pero ang problem lies when you do not confess your sins and ask forgiveness to God. Gaya nga ng sig ni dpogs, there is no righteous one. Walang perfect na tao. So what makes a member of a religion different from others? It's a matter of accepting the person for who he/she is, and sharing what you know would be right thing, and still maintaining RESPECT even if the person does not believe in you. For one, we should be a good example to others.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1084 on: Oct 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM »
pareho kami pananaw ni Klaus. Tara Klaus tayo na lang tayo religion natin! lel. ;D

Sir, I thought you were an atheist?  (Theist pala si sir Klaus, sabi mo pareho kayo...)

Anyway, gumaganda yata ang trend ng discussion.  Parang stating your own personal beliefs, without emphasizing why the other guy is wrong...  :D
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM by barrister »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1085 on: Oct 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM »

Sir, I thought you were an atheist? 

Anyway, gumaganda yata ang trend ng discussion.  Parang stating your own personal beliefs, without emphasizing why the other guy is wrong...  :D

no i'm not an atheist. i don't think there's enough evidence to say na there is no higher being but i don't believe in organized religion. same kami ng pananaw ni Klause na that higher being is not the same one being told in the bible or other religious scripts. yes, i consider myself as an agnostic or somewhat of an anti-theist.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1086 on: Oct 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM »
Do you believe that when you die, you will be with your creator?

I don't know. I hope. But I also hope it will not be with the Creator as described by religious conservatives. That Creator is a total a-hole.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM by Klaus Weasley »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1087 on: Oct 23, 2014 at 10:37 PM »
I don't know. I hope. But I also hope it will not be with the Creator as described by religious conservatives. That Creator is a total a-hole.

i agree. it's like, that god made us just so there'll be someone to worship him. what makes him different from the greek/roman gods?

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1088 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 07:24 AM »
^Greek deities are so much more interesting ;D And they're very human, relatable.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 at 07:25 AM by bumblebee »

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7152
« Reply #1089 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 07:40 AM »
Ang problema lang with some religion, if you don't belong to them, hindi ka na "saved". Ang problema pati, if you don't conform to their beliefs, you will be labelled a sinner.

and worst you will be killed, look at what is happening in the middle east and the "cradle of civilization"....

members of religious cults are like that, kung pwede lang patayin ang hindi nila kasapi.....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1090 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 08:15 AM »
and worst you will be killed, look at what is happening in the middle east and the "cradle of civilization"....

members of religious cults are like that, kung pwede lang patayin ang hindi nila kasapi.....

Correct! Ako ang view ko jan, whatever sins na nagawa mo, it's between you and God. We are not suppose to be JUDGMENTAL to that person but accept him for who he is, just like what Jesus did.

Sir, I thought you were an atheist?  (Theist pala si sir Klaus, sabi mo pareho kayo...)

Anyway, gumaganda yata ang trend ng discussion.  Parang stating your own personal beliefs, without emphasizing why the other guy is wrong..:D

Totally agree with you atty.!

Pardon me sir, I am not a moderator pero as a reader of this topic, can we please refrain from making painful remarks? We all get hurt in the process tapos mag-bibitaw na naman tayo ng hindi magagandang salita over each other.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #1091 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 08:38 AM »
meron na ba tayong nakilala na leader, tatay, presidente, chairman, executive... na kung ano ang gusto (o ini-expect) ng mga follower, anak, nasasakupan, members  niya iyon ang dapat na ginagawa o gawin niya? is it a good quality of a leader?

or do we know a judge na ang pinairal ay mercy instead of justice?

Anak: "Tatay, dapat ganito ang ugali mo... kasi kung hindi... ayaw kitang maging tatay!"
Judge: "Ako ay isang judge pero merong akong puso at mapagmakaawa, dahil dito hindi kita papatawan ng kaparusahan... patatawarin kita at walang kaparusahan."
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1092 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 01:15 PM »
meron na ba tayong nakilala na leader, tatay, presidente, chairman, executive... na kung ano ang gusto (o ini-expect) ng mga follower, anak, nasasakupan, members  niya iyon ang dapat na ginagawa o gawin niya? is it a good quality of a leader?

Actually one of the duties of a good leader is to listen to his/her subordinates, take note of their ideas and try to incorporate the good ones and be humble enough to admit mistakes.

A bad leader insists on doing things his way or the highway, does not listen at all to his followers and gets angry at anyone who has a better idea or points out any mistakes he made.

Pardon me sir, I am not a moderator pero as a reader of this topic, can we please refrain from making painful remarks? We all get hurt in the process tapos mag-bibitaw na naman tayo ng hindi magagandang salita over each other.

Who am I hurting by calling the God of religious conservatives a total a-hole? Napakasensitive naman ang God ninyo. A being so powerful he created the universe, but gets hurt with one, teeny-tiny speck of it calls him an a-hole?

What do you call a leader who lets SOME of his followers suffer, demands to be worshiped, thinks women should be subservient to men, thinks gays are immoral and is really nosey about your sex life and punishes you by burning you to hell if you masturbate but also insists that he loves you? That, my friends, is a totally sick individual.

And no, btw, I did not suffer some immense tragedy in my life. I'm just using logic here.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1093 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 03:12 PM »
how do you know that your god is not like our God?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1094 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 03:26 PM »
how do you know that your god is not like our God?

I never said I know. I don't know. I may believe but I don't know. I don't think you do know either. If you claim to know, you are delusional or lying.

I *do* know that IF your version of God is accurate, I do not wish to worship that God for reasons I've already stated. 

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1095 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 03:37 PM »
ahh God already reveals Himself to you... you have a conscience telling you that there is God...

you cant just accept that that God doesnt approve what you want...

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1096 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 03:50 PM »

How in the world did you know that?

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1097 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 03:52 PM »
;D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1098 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 03:55 PM »
ahh God already reveals Himself to you... you have a conscience telling you that there is God...

My conscience is clear.   

I have no interest in seeking the approval of your particular interpretation of a Supreme Being based on a particular branch of a religion that is then based on a 2,000 year old text translated and transcribed hundreds of times over a few centuries and arbitrarily decided upon by a group of dead men.

Sorry. Life is too short to worry about such things. My only motto in life what the quote you see above. No more, no less. Live a good life, do good things. Don't worry about dogma. If there's a God as He's really good and loving, He'll understand. But if He's the God of religious conservatives, I would rather go to hell than spend eternity with that a-hole.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 at 03:57 PM by Klaus Weasley »

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1099 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 04:36 PM »
Ok lang yon sir, if that's what you believe.  I don't impose my beliefs on others.

thats right atty, that is the only way to have a meaningful and sensible conversation/discussion para sa ganitong mga mainit na topic.

I don't believe in organized religion.

Personally, if your God, dpogs, is thereal god . I don't want to woship that god because your God is a homophobic vain jealous insecure tyrant. I'd rather go to hell than spend eternity with that kind of God. I'm dead serious too.

hypothetically, nakita mo yung tunay na dyos pero ayaw mo pa ding maniwala at sumunod. it only shows na kahit anong paliwanag dito, basta ayaw ng isip mo, hindi pwede sayo. what are you trying to prove to here? whats the point of having a discussion with you regarding this topic? eto bang mga stand and views mo ay pagpapakita lang ng iyong kagalingan at katalinuhan?

btw sir, you are not marcus aurelius!!

That Creator is a total a-hole.

this is very ill mannered and very disrepectfull comment to all those who believe in god! others myt tolelate this tirade, but some will not let this one pass.

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 at 04:45 PM by Dodie »
WCH CM U?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1100 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:06 PM »

Who am I hurting by calling the God of religious conservatives a total a-hole? Napakasensitive naman ang God ninyo. A being so powerful he created the universe, but gets hurt with one, teeny-tiny speck of it calls him an a-hole?

What do you call a leader who lets SOME of his followers suffer, demands to be worshiped, thinks women should be subservient to men, thinks gays are immoral and is really nosey about your sex life and punishes you by burning you to hell if you masturbate but also insists that he loves you? That, my friends, is a totally sick individual.

And no, btw, I did not suffer some immense tragedy in my life. I'm just using logic here.

Sir, I cannot tell you if the God that I am worshiping is sensitive or not. I can only speculate. But what I meant was, we (in bold letters) get hurt in the process.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1101 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:09 PM »
hypothetically, nakita mo yung tunay na dyos pero ayaw mo pa ding maniwala at sumunod. it only shows na kahit anong paliwanag dito, basta ayaw ng isip mo, hindi pwede sayo.

If God, the God that you worship, would appear to you now and tells you to take a gun and kill a bunch of innocent children just to prove that you love Him, would you do it?

this is very ill mannered and very disrepectfull comment to all those who believe in god! others myt tolelate this tirade, but some will not let this one pass.

Only those who believe in the vain, jealous, homophobic, misogynist God who they use to justify their hatred of homosexuals and low opinion of women. The fundamentalist God.

I think believing in that God is dangerous because some people take it to the extreme by killing gays, bombing abortion clinics or even starting full-scale wars because they believe that this God told them to.

I use explicit, provocative language because I want more believers to think about what they believe more critically, to think for themselves, to try and look at where other people are coming from and to not just blindly follow things that their priest, pastor, imam, rabbi, etc. tells them.

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1102 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:23 PM »
If God, the God that you worship, would appear to you now and tells you to take a gun and kill a bunch of innocent children just to prove that you love Him, would you do it?

Only those who believe in the vain, jealous, homophobic, misogynist God who they use to justify their hatred of homosexuals and low opinion of women. The fundamentalist God.

I think believing in that God is dangerous because some people take it to the extreme by killing gays, bombing abortion clinics or even starting full-scale wars because they believe that this God told them to.

I use explicit, provocative language because I want more believers to think about what they believe more critically, to think for themselves, to try and look at where other people are coming from and to not just blindly follow things that their priest, pastor, imam, rabbi, etc. tells them.

the last time i read our bible, in which you dont belive, wla namang sinasabi na kailangan kong pumatay para lang mapatunayan ko yung pagmamahal ko sa kanya!

and besides, ano ang palagay nyo sa amin? blind followers.. na sunod lang ng sunod sa sinasabi ng simbahan namin? and those fundamentalist god that your talking about, pangalanan mo yung relihiyon. hindi yong laging generalization of sort. sabihin mo kung katoliko, o muslim, o hudyo, o protestante o iglesia ni kristo! madali namang sabihin eh!
WCH CM U?

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #1103 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:32 PM »
My conscience is clear.   

I have no interest in seeking the approval of your particular interpretation of a Supreme Being based on a particular branch of a religion that is then based on a 2,000 year old text translated and transcribed hundreds of times over a few centuries and arbitrarily decided upon by a group of dead men.

Sorry. Life is too short to worry about such things. My only motto in life what the quote you see above. No more, no less. Live a good life, do good things. Don't worry about dogma. If there's a God as He's really good and loving, He'll understand. But if He's the God of religious conservatives, I would rather go to hell than spend eternity with that a-hole.

sir, allow me to draw a scenario.

if somebody calls you an a-h... because that person does not believe in a single word you are saying, how would you feel?  i think the natural tendency is to feel some degree of insult.   

i understand you are using hard words to make a point and that's you.  but it's wiser to be sensitive to your readers.

:)

Offline skooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1104 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:37 PM »
The god thing is already embed in our DNA..the moment you reached the age where you can sense w/c is right or wrong thats the time that god gene just kick in. Come to think of it "As you grow older the things that is happening all around you is such quite a mess!" and you sum it up is this a really good resume of a god?

Offline luis

• DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1105 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:42 PM »
Come to think of it "As you grow older the things that is happening all around you is such quite a mess!" and you sum it up is this a really good resume of a god?

kindly elaborate sir, what's your point?   :)

Offline skooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1106 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:46 PM »
kindly elaborate sir, what's your point?   :)

don't worry in time you will understand it. :D

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1107 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:50 PM »
the last time i read our bible, in which you dont belive, wla namang sinasabi na kailangan kong pumatay para lang mapatunayan ko yung pagmamahal ko sa kanya!

What about the story of Abraham and Isaac? God came down from Heaven and tells Abraham to sacrifice his son as offering to him.....and he was going to do it! I don't care if he was crying and was hesitant to do it.....BUT HE WAS GOING TO DO IT! When I was a kid, I was told that this is God's way of testing Abraham's love for him. As a kid, I thought it made sense but as an adult, I realized how f-ed up it is for a supposedly loving God to do that and how f-ed up Abraham is for not telling God to f**k off.

If you try doing that to your child. Give your child a puppy. Make him love that puppy. Then out of the blue, you tell your child, "If you love me, kill your puppy!" That's emotional abuse.

and besides, ano ang palagay nyo sa amin? blind followers.. na sunod lang ng sunod sa sinasabi ng simbahan namin?

If you follow and believe each and everything your church says without criticizing it, studying it and seeing if it makes sense (which is what many religious people do anyway because they don't like to think), then yes.

and those fundamentalist god that your talking about, pangalanan mo yung relihiyon. hindi yong laging generalization of sort. sabihin mo kung katoliko, o muslim, o hudyo, o protestante o iglesia ni kristo! madali namang sabihin eh!

All of the above.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:52 PM by Klaus Weasley »

Offline luis

• DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1108 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 05:50 PM »
don't worry in time you will understand it. :D

i might interpret your statement wrongly sir and i don't want that.  it would be unfair to you that's why i wanted to understand better.    :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1109 on: Oct 24, 2014 at 06:09 PM »
What about the story of Abraham and Isaac? God came down from Heaven and tells Abraham to sacrifice his son as offering to him.....and he was going to do it! I don't care if he was crying and was hesitant to do it.....BUT HE WAS GOING TO DO IT! When I was a kid, I was told that this is God's way of testing Abraham's love for him. As a kid, I thought it made sense but as an adult, I realized how f-ed up it is for a supposedly loving God to do that and how f-ed up Abraham is for not telling God to f**k off.

If you try doing that to your child. Give your child a puppy. Make him love that puppy. Then out of the blue, you tell your child, "If you love me, kill your puppy!" That's emotional abuse.

Allow me to answer it sir.

Genesis 22:2New International Version (NIV)

2 Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”

You are very correct sir. Pero prior to this verse:

Genesis 12:2-3New International Version (NIV)

2 “I will make you into a great nation,
    and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
    and you will be a blessing.[a]
3 I will bless those who bless you,
    and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
    will be blessed through you.”

And:

Genesis 15:3-5New International Version (NIV)

3 And Abram said, “You have given me no children; so a servant in my household will be my heir.”

4 Then the word of the Lord came to him: “This man will not be your heir, but a son who is your own flesh and blood will be your heir.” 5 He took him outside and said, “Look up at the sky and count the stars—if indeed you can count them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring[a] be.”

Genesis 21:12New International Version (NIV)

12 But God said to him, “Do not be so distressed about the boy and your slave woman. Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.

How can Abraham have descendants that will lead all nations if God will slaughter Abraham's son Isaac, in the prior verses Gen 21:12.

God knows what he said and probably so does Abraham. But still, to show obedience, Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 at 06:29 PM by Nelson de Leon »