Author Topic: I don't know hot to tune my Amp :( Volume vs Decibel)  (Read 5317 times)

Offline Chiekotz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I don't know hot to tune my Amp :( Volume vs Decibel)
« on: Jan 14, 2014 at 06:46 PM »
I have a decibel setting and volume setting in my simple Pioneer VSX 523.

I dont know how to tweak the decibel thingy. The only thing i notice is that when its a max (15 db), 20 pa lang sa volume malakas na.

Obviously if its at -6 db, i need to turn it at volume 60.

With that being said, why don't i just pull it to 15db then enjoy music at a lower volume? Or am i doing something wrong here?

FYI. Last amplifier i used was back in the early 90s. Pioneer VSX 5700S.
Walang matigas na bato sa dumadaloy na tubig...

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: I don't know hot to tune my Amp :( Volume vs Decibel)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2014 at 07:22 PM »

I dont know how to tweak the decibel thingy. The only thing i notice is that when its a max (15 db), 20 pa lang sa volume malakas na.

With that being said, why don't i just pull it to 15db then enjoy music at a lower volume? Or am i doing something wrong here?

I think you are talking about level settings for each speaker right? You adjust it to balance your speakers, minsan kasi sa isang room di pantay pantay ang ang lumalabas na tunog sa speakers kaya you need to balance all. An spl meter will help kung meron ka or download ka apps sa iphone or android.. Or may ibang avr na may automatic na pang adjust ng balance ng speakes(audyssey or ypao if yamaha) im not sure about your receiver so read the manual..
Walang Setup

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7166
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2014 at 07:26 PM »
tune your amp to what level pleases your ears without annoying your neighbors....:D
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Chiekotz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2014 at 07:30 PM »
oh ok, i just though id be overworking the amp by putting it at 15db.

Thanks

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2014 at 07:48 PM »
It may also be used for matching speaker levels against the rest of the 5.1 speakers. This way when the master volume is adjusted the volume of each speaker goes up or down at the desired loudness.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2014 at 07:58 PM »
Napatakbo mo na ang auto calibration?

Offline Chiekotz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2014 at 08:11 PM »
Napatakbo mo na ang auto calibration?
Yes sir, i did, defaulted at 0db

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2014 at 08:40 PM »
Yes sir, i did, defaulted at 0db

That's the reference level listening for your room. Ako usually nasa -12 to -6 db lang @ 50hz xover for the speakers. Why? Di na kaya ng built-in amp ng AVR ko ang mga DIY speakers ko kasi super power hungry.

Offline Chiekotz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2014 at 07:44 AM »
That's the reference level listening for your room. Ako usually nasa -12 to -6 db lang @ 50hz xover for the speakers. Why? Di na kaya ng built-in amp ng AVR ko ang mga DIY speakers ko kasi super power hungry.

Oh i see sir thanks for the reply.

Offline IsoMetrix

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2014 at 07:45 AM »

The dimensionless term dB, is a logarithmic ratio of two quantities normally amplitude or power. It is a ratio of the Output Power of a system to that of the Input Power, multiplied by 10. For Amplitudes, it is a ratio of the Output Amplitude over that of the Input Amplitude multiplied by 20.

As for the dB volume settings in an amplifier, the calibration starts down from -XX dB up to 0 db, with 0 dB representing the nominal Maximum rated Power of the Amplifier. So a -3 dB setting on the amplifier volume is 1/2 of the Maximum rated amplifier power (log(0.5) * 10 = -3), a -6 dB setting on the amplifier volume is 1/4 of the Maximum rated amplifier power (log(0.25) * 10 = -6)

For signal to noise ratios (S/N), it is expressed as positive numbers because the signal is normally stronger than the noise. A 90 dB S/N ratio means that the power of the signal is 1 000 000 000 times stronger than the background noise (log (1 000 000 000) * 10 = 90.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2014 at 03:27 PM »
You seem new to this, and apparently you're referring to the individual speaker levels (channel settings) when you mentioned decibel settings, and master volume as volume settings. My suggestion is just run the calibration and let it do its work, you paid for it to do so, and more likely you'll get THE correct relative channel levels. Then set the volume setting to a comfortable level or just loud enough without obvious distortion.

Tweaking is optional, but it would be wise to write down or memorize the settings beforehand.

As for the dB volume settings in an amplifier, the calibration starts down from -XX dB up to 0 db, with 0 dB representing the nominal Maximum rated Power of the Amplifier. So a -3 dB setting on the amplifier volume is 1/2 of the Maximum rated amplifier power (log(0.5) * 10 = -3), a -6 dB setting on the amplifier volume is 1/4 of the Maximum rated amplifier power (log(0.25) * 10 = -6)
Not all amps/receivers use 0dB volume setting as reference level. Different manufacturers use their own scaling, some start with zero and max at 80, some range from - something to zero or + something, etc. Even some manufacturers implement different volume scales among their receiver models. Without the proper tools or documentation, we will not know exactly what volume setting is the reference level.

Also, a source material that is recorded hot (more than 0dB reference, think loudness wars) may max out your amp even below reference volume setting.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7166
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2014 at 03:48 PM »
0db, can be 100watts in a 100 watter amp, or 250 watts in a 250 watter amp....
setting these 2 amps into 8 ohm speaker, you might get shocked at the results....:D
so you have to know the term of reference for the 0db spec....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
Re: Re: I don't know hot to tune my Amp :( Volume vs Decibel)
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2014 at 04:54 PM »

Not all amps/receivers use 0dB volume setting as reference level. Different manufacturers use their own scaling, some start with zero and max at 80, some range from - something to zero or + something, etc. Even some manufacturers implement different volume scales among their receiver models. Without the proper tools or documentation, we will not know exactly what volume setting is the reference level.

Yan ata yun absolute and relative type volume.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2014 at 11:47 PM »
^ Parang ngayon ko lang na-encounter ang terms na yan. I seem to follow the context though, and it would seem "relative-type" lahat ng volume controls. It is a fact that 0dB is the recording industry reference level. But even if the amp/receiver volume control is scaled accordingly, setting it to 0dB would still NOT necessarily produce reference levels at the listening position. The actual SPL will be affected by several factors such as listening distances, room gain and speaker sensitivity.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
Re: Re: I don't know hot to tune my Amp :( Volume vs Decibel)
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2014 at 01:04 AM »
^ Parang ngayon ko lang na-encounter ang terms na yan. I seem to follow the context though, and it would seem "relative-type" lahat ng volume controls. It is a fact that 0dB is the recording industry reference level. But even if the amp/receiver volume control is scaled accordingly, setting it to 0dB would still NOT necessarily produce reference levels at the listening position. The actual SPL will be affected by several factors such as listening distances, room gain and speaker sensitivity.

Yes. Dapat ata reference level ng amp/speaker combination ano? Where 0 is the threshold ng clipping or distortion?

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2014 at 03:15 AM »
Yes. Dapat ata reference level ng amp/speaker combination ano? Where 0 is the threshold ng clipping or distortion?
OT brad ah...
PAS - Philippine Audio Society - VM PasiguenIYO