Author Topic: Projector Screen : Recommendations please  (Read 36765 times)

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
wht is a good projector screen?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2006 at 01:53 AM »
guys planning to get a projector soon. How much does a projector screen cost?   planning to get at least the 72" diagonal manual pull down screen.    thanks. 
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2006 at 01:54 AM by yakisoba »

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
Re: Where to buy: Projector screen?
« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 11:30 PM »
are there projector screens smaller than 70 x 70??? And roughly how much will it cost? Thanks

Offline alfa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Glass Bead projector screen
« Reply #62 on: Feb 25, 2006 at 02:01 PM »
I'm planning on buying a front projector (the brand ? that's another story as the gremlins are still debating in my head) In one of the stores the salesman offerrred to sell me a motorized screen. Its China or Taiwan made and its supposed to be glass beaded or something. The price is very competitive as for the same size as a manual pulldown screen i can get a motorized screen.

Any expiriences on this screen> I just know that there's some glass on the screen.
Thanks for your comments and observations.

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
Re: Glass Bead projector screen
« Reply #63 on: Feb 25, 2006 at 05:39 PM »
Hi Alfa, where did you see this type of screen and how much? Dapat siguro ma audition natin side-by-side with a conventional screen sa store.

Very interesting, kasi there's one projection screen treatment developed in Australia that uses opal (or opal-like) powder and it received high acclaims. Just google "opal projection screens".

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2006 at 07:48 PM by Kato »

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
Re: Glass Bead projector screen
« Reply #64 on: Feb 26, 2006 at 09:39 AM »
be careful with glass beaded screens, they tend to have hotspots at the center. projectors are quite powerful today especially if you use them in a well darkened room. a gain of 1.0 to 1.5 is sufficient. beaded screens are very bright indeed. another thing is that they tend to decrease the viewing angle(non uniformity of brightness from side to side)
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline flexus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • belat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 11:01 PM »
You can try All Visual & Lights Systems.  That's where the hubby bought his projector and they threw in a free screen.  They give discounts on purchases, too.

They have the expensive brand (Da-lite) but they carry the cheaper one, too.  I think it's Vega(?).  And it costs almost half the price.  They have different sizes and types.

They are very accommodating and pleasant to talk to.  They are located at 3/F Farmers Plaza, Araneta Center.  Phone 9110904.  Look for Grace Avelino.   :)
'what is essential is invisible to the eye'

Offline BLAUPUNKT™

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 11:46 AM »
OPTOMA PROJECTORS AND GRANDVIEW SCREENS
8977777-local 851 VINCENT
The GAME is to be SOLD,... not to be TOLD...

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 02:48 PM »
OPTOMA PROJECTORS AND GRANDVIEW SCREENS
8977777-local 851 VINCENT
do you have screens na pang widescreen? (gulo ne?)

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #68 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 07:41 PM »
I think All Visual has a newly opened branch here in Makati located People Support Bldg in front of RCBC Plaza. They carry Da-Lite and taiwan made Screens (Vega ata yung brand ::)). A manual pull down 106" 16:9 screen (Taiwan made) cost 6.5k but they can give it at 6k cash when I inquired. They also carry Optoma, Benq and Epson Projectors. Very accomodating personnel by the way.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #69 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 05:35 AM »
I think All Visual has a newly opened branch here in Makati located People Support Bldg in front of RCBC Plaza. They carry Da-Lite and taiwan made Screens (Vega ata yung brand ::)). A manual pull down 106" 16:9 screen (Taiwan made) cost 6.5k but they can give it at 6k cash when I inquired. They also carry Optoma, Benq and Epson Projectors. Very accomodating personnel by the way.

That's good news having a branch nearer to our place for after sales service.   ;D  I saw a pulldown projector screen also at Makro Sucat if you are near the place.  I am not sure though if all Makro branches have this in stock. :-\

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 05:42 AM »
Mga bros, minimum viewing distance para hindi mag likot mga mata nyo at hindi mahilo ay  dapat 2 times the width. For example kung ang width ng screen nyo ay 70" dapat ang viewing distance is 140". Pero i know a guy who watches at a very short distance, para lagi daw big screen ;D ;D ;D

I'm watching on a 75" diagonal screen at 3 meters away.  Screendoor effect is unnoticeable, viewing size huge and doesn't give me headaches but lots of smiles ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #71 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 02:39 AM »
I'm watching on a 75" diagonal screen at 3 meters away.  Screendoor effect is unnoticeable, viewing size huge and doesn't give me headaches but lots of smiles ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good for you bro ;D  mine is 96" diagonal at 4m away ;D ;D ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 06:52 AM »

Whoa! :o :o :o

Offline jaytl

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Apr 02, 2006 at 07:22 PM »
since we are on the topic of projector screens, where could we buy projector mounts? anybody can share if they also have DIY mounts?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Apr 03, 2006 at 04:23 PM »

Mine is 96" diagonal at 3.5m away. I need to sit/ slouch at the backmost part of the chair. If I sit at the base, the image is too big already.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2006 at 04:31 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline FlyMe

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 04:36 PM »
since we are on the topic of projector screens, where could we buy projector mounts? anybody can share if they also have DIY mounts?

Have an H27 and the ceiling mount for this model is terribly expensive. I bought this speaker wall mount in Ortigas Home Depot for P400.00. Angles can be adjusted by a twist of a knob. Label says it can hold 10 kg.  I made a triangle adapter to fit the projector to the mount.  The hard part is the finding the m2.5 x 16 screws... I found this at Lil's hobby shop in mega - store that sells rc helicompters.

Offline audibleillusions

• Collector
  • Hi-fi, HT,Professional Audio and Video Store
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jun 23, 2006 at 01:24 PM »
AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS

mga sir we have

draper

http://draperinc.com

Offline chariol

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Projector Screen : Recommendations please
« Reply #77 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 03:10 PM »
anybody heard of 3 leaves brand? supposed to be glass beaded, is this any good?  any suggestions on what brand to get? ty!

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Projector Screen : Recommendations please
« Reply #78 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 12:02 PM »
Can you give me what projector screens are available in manila and around how much does it cost?

These are my considerations:

a) screen size should be around 100-170"
b) room is dark (basement)
c) mostly used for DVD (concert)
d) preference is 16:9 (widescreen)
e) projector is a Panasonic AE1000
f) room size is around 35-40sqm and the length is fairly long
g) room measurement:

wall:
width = 17feet + 6inches (210 inches)
height = 7 feet + 10inches (94 inches)

Distance from wall to our couch/chair: 20 feet + 8 inches (248 inches)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2007 at 08:22 AM by [joms] »
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline purple_jedi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Projector Screen : Recommendations please
« Reply #79 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 12:36 PM »
ot: where and how uch did you get your ae1000? tia

Offline audibleillusions

• Collector
  • Hi-fi, HT,Professional Audio and Video Store
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 01:02 PM »
sir gud day

what is your ceiling height?

we have draper us brand.
or try to call us

thank you

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 01:05 PM »
Last I checked, nothing larger than 100" -and- 16:9 format is available locally...  that's why I had to build my own to get the maximum size that I could get for the room....  You may want to reconsider projecting at 170" (test mo muna)...projector might not even be bright enough to be able to do so properly at the quality you want.  Many HT projectors optimally recommend 80", beyond that picture degradation follows.  I project at 120" from a distance of 4 meters, totally dark, quality is still ok.

At around 90" 4:3, they were selling at P15K I think, can't remember anymore details.  You may want to check the telephone directory under Audio-Visual equipment.

Can you give me what projector screens are available in manila and around how much does it cost?

d) projector is a Panasonic AE1000
e) room size is around 35-40sqm and the length is fairly long

Thanks!

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 01:19 PM »
thanks guys. actually its not my projector but rather my dads. He got it sa hongkong. im not sure about the price though pero i think its around 150T+

the reason why i said 100" to 170" is because ang nakalagay yata na maximum screen size na kaya ng projector is 180" ( i think). Please correct me if im wrong as im a newbie in this field. Do you think i should just get 80" ? I think malaki laki kasi yung wall namin and might handle mga 160 or 170. (or perhaps hindi ko lang alam kung gaano kalaki talaga yung 170") LOL.

I saw na kasi yung 80" and i think our wall can handle much much more than that one. How would i know kung ano yung optimal screen size the AE1000 can handle? I dont see one sa manual....

audibleillusion - our ceiling height is not that high. i have to measure it pa but i know its not that high as we can reach it if we jump.

guys can you give me yung top 3 brands available locally according to their quality. Is draper the best brand? followed by....xxx....xxx ?

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 01:34 PM »
Even if your wall is 45meters wide, you will still be limited by the height of your room (note, your screen's height might interfere with your center speaker placement).  Project to the wall first, see the quality, based on that, measure what you think is best for the room....no point in getting a screen larger than what you really need or want.

No, I don't think you should just get 80", for the same reasons.

But if you can't get say a 150" screen locally, you will have to build one.

see
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=54791.0
on how to make your own....my 120" cost me only P3000 to build.

Here's my HT screen:
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=55046.msg601343#msg601343

thanks guys. actually its not my projector but rather my dads. He got it sa hongkong. im not sure about the price though pero i think its around 150T+

the reason why i said 100" to 170" is because ang nakalagay yata na maximum screen size na kaya ng projector is 180" ( i think). Please correct me if im wrong as im a newbie in this field. Do you think i should just get 80" ? I think malaki laki kasi yung wall namin and might handle mga 160 or 170. (or perhaps hindi ko lang alam kung gaano kalaki talaga yung 170") LOL.

I saw na kasi yung 80" and i think our wall can handle much much more than that one. How would i know kung ano yung optimal screen size the AE1000 can handle? I dont see one sa manual....

audibleillusion - our ceiling height is not that high. i have to measure it pa but i know its not that high as we can reach it if we jump.

guys can you give me yung top 3 brands available locally according to their quality. Is draper the best brand? followed by....xxx....xxx ?
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2007 at 01:43 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline mardoc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 03:44 PM »
Bro Matzer is selling new SABRE 16 X 9 PROJECTOR SCREENS.

90"(diagonal) 16 x 9 High contrast manual screen for P5,000.00
        108"(diagonal) 16 x 9 High contrast manual screen for P7,500.00

They are available at SGT Home Theater. Sana hindi pa sold out.

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 04, 2007 at 07:15 AM »
Be very careful with the selection of screen size and material. The reason I did not get the ae1000 is its calibrated lumens is much below what I expected. The workaround is to have a high gain screen material. Do not just buy any of the screen available because you might end up with a screen which will not give you the WOW factor.

Consider the following:

Vutec silverstar(up to 140 inch)
Dalite High power(up to 120 inch
Draper M2500 (110 inch)

If you get the run of the mill screen especially the grey(high contrast) variety, 90 inches is your best bet , just to be safe.

You have to consider that your PJ may be bright at 0hr but after 200 to 300 hours, lumens output will drop by 30% or so. Getting a big screen is a bad idea with this PJ

This recommendation is true if you want accurate colors, PJ's can crank up their light  output, but the resulting image color temperature will be bluish in the vicinity of 9000 to 11000 kelvin. Daylight (neutral) is 6504 Kelvin.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 04, 2007 at 11:27 PM »
Hi, Joms.  While it is certainly awesome to project the biggest image your projector is capable of doing, please keep in mind that the size of the screen is a factor of your viewing position, i.e., how far your first or optimum seat from the screen will be.  If you have an overly large screen, it's like watching a tennis match at front row--you'd have to move your head (or at least your eyes) to see the whole picture.  Not only is this silly, it's annoying and tiring.  Ideally, you should be able to see the whole screen without moving your eyes, specially your head.

The prescribed screen height is 1/3 the distance from the best seat in the house.  What I would suggest is that you plan your room layout first, measure the distance of the prime seat from the screen, then get the appropriately sized screen for your room dimensions.

Cosmotech distributes the Draper screens (look for Elsie Labrador).  Da-Lite on the other hand is distributed by, believe it or, Multi-Island photo shop.  Fret not because you can go to the Da-Lite website and initiate a chat with their customer service.  They're very helpful.

'Hope this helps.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 12:29 PM »
Bro Matzer is selling new SABRE 16 X 9 PROJECTOR SCREENS.

90"(diagonal) 16 x 9 High contrast manual screen for P5,000.00
        108"(diagonal) 16 x 9 High contrast manual screen for P7,500.00

They are available at SGT Home Theater. Sana hindi pa sold out.

Thanks Mardoc.  :)

You can custom order if you want (50% dp) manual screens up to 135" diagonal. Anything bigger than that would have to be motorized.

There are up to 162" diagonal & 180" diagonal motorized screens available, high contrast or matte white. RF remote included.

ETA is 2 months. You can check the quality at SGT HT. These aren't the run of the mill variety  :).
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007 at 12:32 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 09:19 AM »
matzer - pre do you have a landline / cellphone? ty

Offline avintegrator

• Collector
  • Life is too short to take seriously
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 05:50 PM »

d) projector is a Panasonic AE1000
e) room size is around 35-40sqm and the length is fairly long

Thanks!

Pre, the way we do it.. we turn on the projector, shoot it on the wall, then we move it backwards until you get the sweet spot. after that, measure the projected image on the wall.