Author Topic: Recommended Concert Blu Rays?  (Read 46412 times)

Offline FrancisS

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Collector
  • Drive your car and speakers safely!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recommended Concert Blu Rays?
« on: Sep 08, 2011 at 11:37 PM »
What Concert Blu Rays have u viewed that you will highly recommend?

Post up! :) ;D
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Aaudio/Wharfe 9.3,9CM,9.1
Sony BDP S570+PS3
Pilyo Amp4v2 + 2 12" JBL GT5

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
Re: Recommended Concert Blu Rays?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 01:20 AM »
My favorites:

• Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall (Dolby TrueHD!)
  • Foo Fighters Live at Wembley (lossless)
  • The Police Certifiable: Live in Buenos Aires (very hard to find, let me know if you find one! :))
  • Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music Director's Cut (40th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition, Dolby TrueHD)

:D

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 12:43 PM »
IF YOU MEAN by image resolution alone, the best of the best Blu Ray concerts I could cite to you would be: BARRY MANILOW LIVE (originally a year 2000 concert but film stock is so superb in both its DVD and HD-DVD incarnations, and now a reference disk on its BD edition), QUINCY JONES MONTREUX (this concert could've taken place in Switzerland in 2010, overly long with a smattering of blues-oriented acts that could put you to sleep like Petula Clark and Al Jarreau, but the picture is reference-quality; if another edition surpasses its image then the whole film by all means is remastered in 4K high definition; if you pine for the whole Quincy Jones discography this BD concert covers all four decades - including Ai No Corrida and The Dude from the 1981 hit album).
Also, PAT METHENY (a concert over Metheny and Lyle Mays' last album with the trademark Metheny jazz sound, both its DVD, HD-DVD and BD incarnations are superb but critics says the BD is the reference grade), TAKE THAT THE CIRCUS LIVE (Take That is the original boy band from Britain, during their heyday they were marketed in a bizaare fashion as a "gay-oriented" group - yet in this BD which is their third, after reuniting - there's no hint of such gay flavour because the band's audience were 99% female. This BD is a good calibration material if you want to determine your set's Contrast and Tint & Hues through the pervasive footages of female flesh, literally. That means your visual fine-tuning is right on because Take That's female fans has the right Caucasian skin).

Also RETURN TO FOREVER MONTREUX, a reunion concert by jazz stalwarts like Chick Correa and Al DiMeola. For me its esoteric jazz, not radio-friendly, with only three accessible songs from the entire set. But the picture is sumptuous. A showcase for Blu Ray capturing the most minute details in a semi-darkened stage set. JEFF BECK ROCK & ROLL PARTY - another BD with a sumptuous, gorgeous picture thats also good for calibrating your player's User setting and your TV's Picture template - through the lead singer's (the gorgeous-looking Irish singer named Imelda Mays) Caucasian skin tones. Thats it, if you wanted more recommendations, I could cite even more. And you'll eventually like the music....

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 01:12 PM »
Thanks Verbi and Alice,

Would you guys know where these titles are available?
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline ALICE GO

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 02:01 PM »
FRANCIS, are you trying to collect Concert BDs? If you come to think of it, music BDs are the best collectables because their inherent interestingness doesn't dampened or dissipate easily. With movies you come to spend P1,500 or more for every title pero pagsasawaan mo na yan after three or five viewings. Wala nang repeat viewing value. You spend that much for entertainment thats meant to be disposable (unless Ben Hur yan, o Ten Commandments, o Wizard Of Oz or Sound Of Music - all of which are remastered in the ultra-high 4K process). But with concerts mai-enjoy mo siya even for years because as long as you wanted to hear the music once more, you'll come to return to the BD, like you do with a favorite CD. To look for the titles I cited to you, try to scour for them from AMAZON.UK - not Amazon US but U.K. The British Amazon is inexplicably cheaper with a more humane mailing charge.

Idagdag ko pa: MICHAEL MCDONALD THIS CHRISTMAS - an obscure BD featuring Christmas tunes sung by that soulful voice thats nonpareil, nothing else like it - the Michael McDonald vibrato vocals. Former lead of The Doobie Brothers and enjoying renaissance after renaissance of hit Motown revival albums, Mcdonald's BD is crisp, gorgeously staged and contains the right mix of Christmas tunes plus his pop hits (What A Fool Believes, etc.).

Also, THE POLICE LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES - an exquisite concert BD thats very suitable showing for the bigger screen TV displays. Sting is certifiably the boring, humdrum element of this concert; indulgent and apparently just going through the motions by now because his musical career has never plateau'd. But the amazing aspect of this concert is the Police's guitarist Andy Sommers. Andy, who is 10 years older than both Sting and the drummer, lent the barebones concert a sonic texture thats hard to believe is achieved only by his guitar. I tried to find a hidden keyboard or synthesizer player - the 4th man onstage - but there's nobody there, only the three. Hence, this concert is carried ably by the guitar masterwork of Andy the guitarist, minus the ambient help of a synthesizer or keyboard which could've made it as a New Wave reunion act at the same time.

Take also KATHERINE JENKINS THE O2 ARENA  - if you care for the mellower stuff, or operatic-tinged ballads. Jenkins alone on Blu Ray is already worth the price of admission.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 02:20 PM »
I've watched The Police in Buenos Aires thrice (DL'd 23GB pure BD in TrueHD) and Im still looking for the hidden back up musicians.  They've got to be there somewhere in the dark areas of the backstage (or under).  I still cant believe a single lead guitarist, and a single bass guitarist can produce such rich collaboration of sounds.

Katherine Jenkins - gorgeous lady but kinda boring to watch the entire show - probably not my cup of tea but she's hot indeed.   Same as Kylie Minogue - hot but boring to watch in the long run.

My wife's guilty pleasure - Boyzone's last concert at Manchester (before the 2nd lead vocal untimely passed away).   Nakakabakla si Ronan Keating, and surprisingly, even my teenage daugher appreciated their music.

Foreigner Live- the new lead CAN sing!  I prefer the sound mix/quality of the 2008 version show (Soundstage) than the 2010 at the Ryman.  The vocals are clearer.

Also, THE POLICE LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES - an exquisite concert BD thats very suitable showing for the bigger screen TV displays. Sting is certifiably the boring, humdrum element of this concert; indulgent and apparently just going through the motions by now because his musical career has never plateau'd. But the amazing aspect of this concert is the Police's guitarist Andy Sommers. Andy, who is 10 years older than both Sting and the drummer, lent the barebones concert a sonic texture thats hard to believe is achieved only by his guitar. I tried to find a hidden keyboard or synthesizer player - the 4th man onstage - but there's nobody there, only the three. Hence, this concert is carried ably by the guitar masterwork of Andy the guitarist, minus the ambient help of a synthesizer or keyboard which could've made it as a New Wave reunion act at the same time.

Take also KATHERINE JENKINS THE O2 ARENA  - if you care for the mellower stuff, or operatic-tinged ballads. Jenkins alone on Blu Ray is already worth the price of admission.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2011 at 02:26 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 03:10 PM »
Magaling mag-recommend si Alice.  :)

Marami pa ako idadagdag later.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 03:54 PM »
Mam alice, where could I possibly find concert videos (locally) of Michael mcdonald, quincy jones, the police... :) also looking for Crosby, stills and Nash concert, wings over america of Paul mccartney, and doobie brothers farewell tour ???
tnx
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2011 at 05:17 PM »
FRANCIS, are you trying to collect Concert BDs? If you come to think of it, music BDs are the best collectables because their inherent interestingness doesn't dampened or dissipate easily. With movies you come to spend P1,500 or more for every title pero pagsasawaan mo na yan after three or five viewings. Wala nang repeat viewing value. You spend that much for entertainment thats meant to be disposable (unless Ben Hur yan, o Ten Commandments, o Wizard Of Oz or Sound Of Music - all of which are remastered in the ultra-high 4K process). But with concerts mai-enjoy mo siya even for years because as long as you wanted to hear the music once more, you'll come to return to the BD, like you do with a favorite CD. To look for the titles I cited to you, try to scour for them from AMAZON.UK - not Amazon US but U.K. The British Amazon is inexplicably cheaper with a more humane mailing charge.

Idagdag ko pa: MICHAEL MCDONALD THIS CHRISTMAS - an obscure BD featuring Christmas tunes sung by that soulful voice thats nonpareil, nothing else like it - the Michael McDonald vibrato vocals. Former lead of The Doobie Brothers and enjoying renaissance after renaissance of hit Motown revival albums, Mcdonald's BD is crisp, gorgeously staged and contains the right mix of Christmas tunes plus his pop hits (What A Fool Believes, etc.).

Take also KATHERINE JENKINS THE O2 ARENA  - if you care for the mellower stuff, or operatic-tinged ballads. Jenkins alone on Blu Ray is already worth the price of admission.

Yes Alice, I totally agree with you that having a concert BD collection is quite good, that's why I want to start a concert collection apart from my BD Collection. :)

I'll have my THE POLICE LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES by October, hehehe  ;D ;)
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2011 at 07:52 PM »
A quick list of very good bluray concerts (both pq and sq):

Les Miserables, 25th Anniversary
Paul Simon and Friends
Sting Live in Berlin
Dave Grusin, An Evening with
Harry Connick, Jr., On Broadway
Chris Botti in Boston
Diana Krall, Live in Rio
Sondheim! The Birthday Concert
k.d. lang, Live in London
Michael Bolton, Live at the Royal Albert Hall

And my absolute reference: "Amor, vida de mi vida", Zarzuelas with Placido Domingo and Ana Maria Martinez
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2011 at 08:17 PM »
I just watched Bon Jovi in Madison Square garden last night (download lang ;D) Man will surely get this and the recently released Reo Speedwagon.

The David Foster and friends concerts are pretty good.

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 02:02 AM »
try
U2 360 live in pasedena

and also mentioned above michael mcdonald christmas special good pq too

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 06:15 AM »

-The 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Concerts
-Sheryl Crow Live
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2011 at 09:57 AM »
America Live In Chicago 2011 (Soundstage) - if you like their songs.  

The duo still sing well but not like Eagles perfect (I take this back, the duo still sings at the same key and pitch perfect).  Actually, I didn't know how they look until I watched the concert but it's quite soothing and nostalgic to hear those 70s folk rock huge hits live and in good and clear sound quality.

This has been my favorite concert BD while chilling out. It sounds better and better as you listen more.  Wish my wife were here to listen to All My Life and I Need You live - beautiful beautiful old songs.  Acoustic guitar works (America trademark) are mostly strumming but really nice.   Awesome classic rock!
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline karzai

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 08:03 PM »
Thanks Verbi and Alice,

Would you guys know where these titles are available?

Amazon.com

Amazon.co.uk

or  you can order through people here like oreoshake.

My recommendations:
1.   Roy Orbison Black & White night
2.   Hitman: David Foster & Friends
3.   Time’s 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
4.   Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Live at Albert Hall
5.   Andrea Bocceli Vivere Live in Tuscany
6.   The police Certifiable
7.   The Eagles Hell Freezes over
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011 at 08:11 PM by karzai »

Offline aepaguinaldo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 10:33 PM »
Sting - Live in Berlin

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
CELTIC WOMAN  :o :o
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission

Offline ALICE GO

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM »
FRANCIS my pal, you're bound to find the Blu Rays I cited from amazon UK, original Amazon (US), and if you wanted an alternative source - from CD-Wow UK. Cd-Wow, I have to cautioned you, is not as reputable as Amazon, but they'll never cheat on you. The worst they could do is curse-inducing delays. As to CSN, Paul McArtney & wings and the other concerts you cited, wala akong nalalaman na may BD sa mga taong ito. There's two CSN concert DVDs I know, but I have not gotten any one because this group is despairingly ageing and there's the third member whose musical juice is hopelessly sapped out a long long time ago, by drug abuse. I would not care to watch a living wreck like that. As to Paul McArtney, I have the 2-disk THE MACARTNEY YEARS VIDEOGRAPHY DVD. The most complete and only one compilation of Paul's videos, a godsend for completist. This is a treasure for the strong fans - it has the classic videos for Ebony & Ivory, Take It Away, Blackbird (from Band On The Run), and dozens more. But its not on BD hence you have to make do with the average quality of these resurrected short films.

The music BDs I touted to you are good collectables because they could be enjoyed even by your older or younger family members. The bad thing about rock music is that it polarizes the young from the not-so-young and the elderly because the elderly will likely to find its beat, melody and rhythm as repulsive. Di tulad noong araw, music can be enjoyed by everyone in the house. Kaya if you're going to spend lang for concert BDs, pilii mo na yang ma-appreciate kahit medyo bata at medyo may edad na. There's ANDREA BOCELLI VIVERE - but this BD has a technical defect, in the duet numbers with Sarah B, the closeups is not as crisp as the picture resolution of general stage shots. Brief sequences are also present where the resolution looks "ngongo" or visually blunted. Its annoying and very few pieces are musically ear-friendly.

DAVID FOSTER'S THE HITMAN is a very good collectable. On this BD, I saw around EIGHT FILIPINOS among the audiences. I couldn't be mistaken about it - those are Pinoys on the audience. They're present on the Chaka Khan I'm Every Woman number, and the last two songs from Donna Summer. West-bound Pinoys looked they truly loved Foster - or maybe they're present to add more clapping force to that overrated Pempengco girl. Kung di pa ako nagkakamali, kabilang din sa audience ay yung retired US Women Volleyball champion na si Gabrielle Reece yata yun, at yung bidang babae sa isang 90's US sitcom. Hence Hitman is worth having for its Pinoys-in-the-audience curiosity factor.  

CHRIS BOTTI BOSTON is good visually but the numbers are "uneven." Botti is able to make his BD a worthwhile musical with fair repeat viewing factor - but for every Yo Yo Ma and Lusia Micarelli (both violinists) there's the meant-to-shock invitee like the Aerosmith lead singer which ruins the show, that satan-worshipping junkie with a face like a chihuahua's skin.

Offline m35ius

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM »
Incubus Alive at the Red Rocks =)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 10:11 PM »
-The 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Concerts-Sheryl Crow Live

Just watched this 2-disc bluray concert.  AWESOME!  The old men are still awesome (except Ozzie -hehehe) and in tune and in the same key - guest artist Fergie was great as well.

Offline jjsantos

• Trade Count: (+100)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2011 at 09:05 PM »
Try The Hitman Returns (David Foster and Friends) and Celine Dion live in Las Vegas. What a superb performance!

Offline jbluzb

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 09:51 PM »
Mariah Carey - adventures of Mimi

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 06:31 AM »
Any videos of Bruce Springsteen.

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM »
"SIMPLY RED Farewell Live in Concert at the Sydney Opera House".
       A very good live recording. Try This one, Crisp Sound
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2011 at 10:26 PM by 1080p »

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 08:37 AM »
yanni live at the acropolis...with the royal philharmonic concert orchestra :)
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 08:39 AM »
My first to watch a BD concert last weekend "AHA The Final Concert" ,  A reminisced from the 80's ;D
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline Gabbby

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • GOTTA MAKE IT RAIN!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 11:06 AM »
Beyonce  ;D
JTR

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #27 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 02:01 PM »
Michael Buble Caught in the Act and Live at Madison Square Garden

Seal: Sound Stage
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline yahoohoohoo!

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 11:01 PM »
Hall & Oates Live in Troubadour  ;)
Onkyo 609
Dali Ikon6-vokal-MAbxfx
SVS pc12plus
Samsung 55C9000-3D bdp
Mitsubishi HC3800
Mede8er

Offline chikha

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 05:08 PM »
Looking for any Blu-ray Concert that you have for sale but preferably one of these:
Please pm me if you have.

Barbara Streisand
David Foster
Elvis Presley
Neil Diamond
Celine Dion
Rod Stewart
UB40
U2
Eagles
Julio Iglesias
Dire Straits