Author Topic: Digital Signal from Ipod/Ipad/Iphone  (Read 630 times)

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Digital Signal from Ipod/Ipad/Iphone
« on: Sep 13, 2011 at 01:58 PM »
In my exploration with the world of audiophile digital source, I have currently created 2 digital sources, mainly, from the Ipod/Ipad/Iphone and the desktop/laptop computers (Mac or WIndows). Both have different digital signal chains as follows:

for the  Ipod/Ipad/Iphone:

Ipod/Ipad/Iphone ---> Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod dock -----> coax cable -----> dac -----> preamp/amp

for the desktop/laptop computer:

desktop/laptop computer -----> USB cable -----> Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod dock -----> coax cable -----> dac -----> preamp/amp

OR

desktop/laptop computer -----> USB/SPDIF converter -----> coax cable -----> dac -----> preamp/amp

Now, with the above I would like to retain both sources (Ipod/Ipad/Iphone & desktop/laptop computer) but would like to reduce a component in the digital chain.  The Ipod dock and the USB/SPDIF converter are 2 separate gadgets which handles the digital signal and outputs it into the coaxial cable going to the dac.

I am happy with output from the USB/SPIF converter than the Onkyo Ipod dock.  Now, the questions are:

1.  To get rid on the Onkyo Ipod Dock, and just connect the Ipod/Ipad/Iphone via a LOD cable into the computer's USB port and play via Itunes, will the sound quality be the same as compared to the Ipod/Ipad/Iphone connected to the Onkyo Ipod dock?  That means I will play songs in the Ipod/Ipad/Iphone by using Itunes and the computer.

2.  In the following digital connection chain,

Ipod/Ipad/Iphone -----> LOD cable to USB -----> desktop/laptop computer -----> USB/SPDIF converter -----> coax cable -----> dac -----> preamp/amp

Am I extracting pure digital information from the Ipod/Ipad/Iphone which is being fed into the computer?