Author Topic: MNET Channel and International Reality Competition Singing Shows  (Read 239578 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Australian Idol
« Reply #150 on: Nov 03, 2003 at 11:16 PM »
at first i couldn't understand why people in the states would bother watching these Bagong Kampeon-ish shows but after going through Aussie Idol, I HAVE REACHED ENLIGHTENMENT. it's riveting! it's heartbreaking! it's entertaining!

I know exactly what you mean. I was like, "these audiences are really strange to make a show like this a #1 hit." Then I saw an episode...

i even heard that there's gonna be a "World Idol" competition where all the Idols get to compete (hmm... i dunno if kelly clarkson will agree to do this since she's alreadya top 40 star).

Yeah, the "Ultimate Idol" competition. All I've heard is talk, though. I know it was supposed to be in December, but that seems too close for there not to be any official press releases yet.

but yes, i -- along with the whole of australia -- am a true blue Idol fanatic!

Hey sungit... got a VCR over there?  ;)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Performance Reality Shows: Operacion Triunfo, Fame Academy, Idols
« Reply #151 on: Nov 04, 2003 at 06:07 PM »
oo nga sungit! share naman! he he he... maski a few episodes lang... ;)

talk of the "ultimate idol" came out as early as the first season pa... and now that most pop idols franchisees have 2 winners na... dumadami na tuloy ang sasali... i have to admit tho, kelly is still tops... that girl has spunk! and a great set of pipes to boost! ::)

who won sa aussie idols? (no wait! don't spoil the surprise!... can't believe i actually asked!) :-X

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Nov 10, 2003 at 07:36 PM »
who won sa aussie idols? (no wait! don't spoil the surprise!... can't believe i actually asked!)

I just ordered this:

sungit, who the heck is "Dicko"???  ;D

====

Operacao Triunfo is now my official bad-tv-show-I-love.

I didn't think they could top last week's hilarity, but they definitely worked overtime to do so. I mean, 2 girls singing "New York, New York" with sexy dancers spreading their legs open/close on chairs... A tall fat girl and a short thin guy with long hair singing "Nothing Compares To You" as a love duet... Two guys doing the ultimate male duet: Madonna's "Like A Virgin"...

...And 90% of the songs are performed off-key!

I honestly don't know who gets voted off, since I'm usually just laughing my head off.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2003 at 07:36 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Nov 10, 2003 at 08:37 PM »
okay peeps. aussie idol 101:

Dicko is the "bad cop" judge. he's a big BMG executive here and is very brash when it's his turn to give his opinions. i like him though because he really makes sense. but man... his comments are hilarious!

Marcia is the "paula abdul" judge of aussie idol -- black, american-australian who doesn't really say a bad thing about anyone (unless the performance was really bad. she cries a lot too. as you may have probably all have guessed, she's everyone's soft spot.

Mark is a pretty boy judge. sometimes he makes sense, sometimes you think he's on something because he just makes up his own words.

the comp here is winding down. the final's airing live on the 19th and i'm rooting for GUY! he's such a talent talaga. amazing voice. ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Nov 11, 2003 at 12:27 AM »

Operacao Triunfo is now my official bad-tv-show-I-love.

I didn't think they could top last week's hilarity, but they definitely worked overtime to do so. I mean, 2 girls singing "New York, New York" with sexy dancers spreading their legs open/close on chairs... A tall fat girl and a short thin guy with long hair singing "Nothing Compares To You" as a love duet... Two guys doing the ultimate male duet: Madonna's "Like A Virgin"...

...And 90% of the songs are performed off-key!

I honestly don't know who gets voted off, since I'm usually just laughing my head off.  ;D

i caught the gala this morning of OT Portugal and yeah, they sing horribly off key! (there was this part in "nothing compares to you" when it looked as if the girl was gonna charge the guy like a mad bull!)  :o
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2003 at 12:37 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Nov 11, 2003 at 12:31 AM »
okay peeps. aussie idol 101:

Dicko is the "bad cop" judge. he's a big BMG executive here and is very brash when it's his turn to give his opinions. i like him though because he really makes sense. but man... his comments are hilarious!

Marcia is the "paula abdul" judge of aussie idol -- black, american-australian who doesn't really say a bad thing about anyone (unless the performance was really bad. she cries a lot too. as you may have probably all have guessed, she's everyone's soft spot.

Mark is a pretty boy judge. sometimes he makes sense, sometimes you think he's on something because he just makes up his own words.

the comp here is winding down. the final's airing live on the 19th and i'm rooting for GUY! he's such a talent talaga. amazing voice. ;D

unang season pa lang ba ito ng aussie idol? (i'm guessing "dicko" is the guy on the cover making those faces... at  least he's funny while making nasty remarks about the contestant... simon is just plain nasty! and that guy sa idols south africa is just plain annoying... :P)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Nov 11, 2003 at 08:37 AM »
i saw a tv commercial on an indonesian channel ... they are holding a nationwide audition for particpants in a show called "akademi fantasi".... hmmmm. another franchise perhaps?  ::)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Nov 11, 2003 at 12:37 PM »
i saw a tv commercial on an indonesian channel ... they are holding a nationwide audition for particpants in a show called "akademi fantasi".... hmmmm. another franchise perhaps?  ::)

Eh. Too much. I've reached my quota for foreign language shows I don't understand.

Who got the boot for the Spain show, and who's nominated for next week? I set my VCR's timer, but forgot to switch the cable button from Sky to Destiny.  ::)

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #158 on: Nov 11, 2003 at 04:13 PM »
They booted out Sonia! Stupid spanish chicas. Today's gala was the most emotional yet, with almost everyone in tears from the goodbye song to the despedida back at the academy. Just before Sonia left, Nuria even sang "You've Got A Friend" unprompted, causing even more crying. You should have seen it. Got me all choked up myself.

For next week they're choosing between Nuria and Jorge. If Nuria goes!... Grrr!

For the good news, the currently much-slimmer and much-prettier Beatriz has toppled Vicente from the top position. The smarmy Ramon continues to slide down the rankings and Mario slips to the bottom 5 (only to be saved by the profesores, drats!)!

Things are getting mas interesting though as the obvioulsy unpopular students get checked out and it's getting harder to pick who ought to be saved.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Nov 11, 2003 at 07:38 PM »
Eh. Too much. I've reached my quota for foreign language shows I don't understand.

di naman me THAT interested to see it ... was just surprised... first time kasi to see a (possible) asian franchise of this show eh... ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Nov 11, 2003 at 07:43 PM »
They booted out Sonia! Stupid spanish chicas. Today's gala was the most emotional yet, with almost everyone in tears from the goodbye song to the despedida back at the academy. Just before Sonia left, Nuria even sang "You've Got A Friend" unprompted, causing even more crying. You should have seen it. Got me all choked up myself.

For next week they're choosing between Nuria and Jorge. If Nuria goes!... Grrr!

For the good news, the currently much-slimmer and much-prettier Beatriz has toppled Vicente from the top position. The smarmy Ramon continues to slide down the rankings and Mario slips to the bottom 5 (only to be saved by the profesores, drats!)!

Things are getting mas interesting though as the obvioulsy unpopular students get checked out and it's getting harder to pick who ought to be saved.

oo nga... i'm hoping nuria gets to stay... i've been sort of rooting for the underdogs eh... (leticia, nuria, jorge and sonia... but now wala na si sonia!) :)

mwa ha ha ha ha ha... go bea! (i never would've thought that bea would unseat vicente from the "el favorito" spot.)

sayang tho... i mean, ramon was finally showing some signs of improvement... but inma was right... he's tenure in the academia is far too dependent on his being muy caliente... (he actually sounded good during the song with the "eurojuniors"...

BTW, what time sa sabado yung eurojuniors gala and finals? i didn't catch the time eh... sayang din... baka maganda eh.  ;)

oh yeah... jude mas emotional yung pag-alis ni josé! lahat umiyak! even the teachers! and nina had to be sort of rude... cause the "goodbyes" were taking forever to finish.  ;) (although nuria singing "you've got a friend" was a really nice touch... *sniff!*)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2003 at 07:44 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Performance Reality Shows: World Idol on Christmas Day!
« Reply #161 on: Nov 15, 2003 at 02:39 AM »
So it is set for this December, after all:

International 'Idols' to Compete on Fox

"American Idol" Kelly Clarkson (news) will get the chance to measure herself against her international counterparts.

In "World Idol," a two-part special airing the evenings of Christmas and New Year's Day, Clarkson will compete in London with winners from 10 other countries, including Lebanon, South Africa and Poland.

An international panel of judges, made up of one representative from each country, will comment on the performances. Then viewers from around the world will have the chance to vote.

Details on the voting process will be released later, according to the Fox network, home of "American Idol."

The competitors are all winners of the first season of the "Idol" series in their respective countries — making second-season U.S. winner Ruben Studdard ineligible, the network said Wednesday.

The program will air 8-10 p.m. EST on Dec. 25, and 9-10 p.m. EST on Jan. 1.

The "World Idol" participants, besides Clarkson, are Will Young (news), United Kingdom; Heinz Winckler (news), South Africa; Alicja Janosz, Poland; Jamai Loman, Netherlands; Alexander Klaws, Germany; Kurt Nilsen, Norway; Diana Karazon, Lebanon; Peter Evrard, Belgium, and Ryan Malcolm, Canada; and an Australian contestant who will be selected Nov. 19.

While "Idol" winners get record contracts in the national contests, a Fox spokeswoman said she was unaware of a prize for the international champion.

Shows patterned after the original series, Britain's "Pop Idol," now are seen in more than 20 countries.

"American Idol" proved a major ratings hit for Fox. The premiere date for the third season of the U.S. show has yet to be announced.

=====

I know who sungit and Quidam will be rooting for, but since Anke isn't eligible, then Spiff and I will have to share our choice...  ;D

I wonder if a World Academy competition can be far behind. Or is that already what they do at Eurobest, Spiff?
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2003 at 02:41 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Performance Reality Shows: World Idol on Christmas Day!
« Reply #162 on: Nov 15, 2003 at 04:22 AM »
So it is set for this December, after all:

International 'Idols' to Compete on Fox

"American Idol" Kelly Clarkson (news) will get the chance to measure herself against her international counterparts.

In "World Idol," a two-part special airing the evenings of Christmas and New Year's Day, Clarkson will compete in London with winners from 10 other countries, including Lebanon, South Africa and Poland.

An international panel of judges, made up of one representative from each country, will comment on the performances. Then viewers from around the world will have the chance to vote.

Details on the voting process will be released later, according to the Fox network, home of "American Idol."

The competitors are all winners of the first season of the "Idol" series in their respective countries — making second-season U.S. winner Ruben Studdard ineligible, the network said Wednesday.

The program will air 8-10 p.m. EST on Dec. 25, and 9-10 p.m. EST on Jan. 1.

The "World Idol" participants, besides Clarkson, are Will Young (news), United Kingdom; Heinz Winckler (news), South Africa; Alicja Janosz, Poland; Jamai Loman, Netherlands; Alexander Klaws, Germany; Kurt Nilsen, Norway; Diana Karazon, Lebanon; Peter Evrard, Belgium, and Ryan Malcolm, Canada; and an Australian contestant who will be selected Nov. 19.

While "Idol" winners get record contracts in the national contests, a Fox spokeswoman said she was unaware of a prize for the international champion.

Shows patterned after the original series, Britain's "Pop Idol," now are seen in more than 20 countries.

"American Idol" proved a major ratings hit for Fox. The premiere date for the third season of the U.S. show has yet to be announced.

=====

I know who sungit and Quidam will be rooting for, but since Anke isn't eligible, then Spiff and I will have to share our choice...  ;D

I wonder if a World Academy competition can be far behind. Or is that already what they do at Eurobest, Spiff?

"have you ever been LOoOoOoOow?"

hay nakoh! hands down! KELLY ALL THE WAY! (asan si sarah? he he he... bakit di sya kasali?)

yup. naunahan na sila ng mga "academy" incarnations... eurobest was exactly that... same style of judging as well (the headmasters of each "academy" or their proxies)...  and ALL  contestants were forced to use ENGLISH songs (para fair....) and wasn't limited to solo acts... may duets and rock group (boy band yung sa russia).

mas malawak ang scope ng "idols" though... it crosses continents... yung "acedemy" sa europe lang. (although if "akademi fantasi" is a franchise... they are branching out na rin pala.)

spain's chenoa won eurobest this year (it was a tight race between her rendition of "it's raining men" and france's noelle... who i think sang a celine dion song.)... lemar finished 5th or 6th ata (i think he sang u2's "with or without you")... who knows who'll win next year...

a bit of controversy tho... manuel carrasco (OT2 2nd placer) was supposed to compete sa eurobest since the OT2 winner needed to undergo surgery to remove nodules from her throat ASAP (as requested by emilio estefan, her producer). pero last minute... pinalitan to chenoa (OT1 4th placer) ... reasons for the switch still elude me to this day.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2003 at 04:28 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 08:38 AM »
well Aussie Idol finally ended yesterday. i had a bunch of friends over and we were all cringing at the cheesiness of the show... but still i got kilig for the contestants because they got to sing inside the sydney opera house -- a dream come true for every performer i'm sure (though for the song number with all the top 12 finalists, i think some of them were milking it too much. too OA).

anyway, GUY SEBASTIAN won! thank god! he is so amazing... one of my friends was saying before the announcement of the winner "If Shannon (the other guy) wins, i'll have no respect for australia." good thing the public used their heads and voted for talent over good looks.

saw the adverts for World Idol late december. i hope they air it in manila!!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Nov 21, 2003 at 04:28 AM »
saw the adverts for World Idol late december. i hope they air it in manila!!

asa pa ako that they'll air it... walang franchise nya dito kasi eh. (the "star for a night" is a copykat show, right?) :'(

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 06:11 PM »
asa pa ako that they'll air it... walang franchise nya dito kasi eh.

Who knows? Baka by Christmas, ibalik na ng Destiny ang MNET dun sa mga "Reserved Channels" nila...  ::)

On the OT shows, sad to see fat guy finally get voted off last week. It must hurt even more that every week, everyone seems to be crying when they bid farewell to someone, but when you're voted off, only two people cry.

Nice to see Gloria Estefan on the show. But shouldn't she have sung her group song BEFORE they voted off Jorge, so he wouldn't have had to come back, like, 30 seconds after he drove off in his FIAT?

On the hilarious Operacao this week, there was one really funny number: As one of the potential evictees sang "I'm Like A Bird," her backup dancers... you guessed it - were dressed AS BIG WHITE BIRDS, doing bird-like movements during the verses and wildly flapping their wings during the refrain.

Television doesn't get any better than that. ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Nov 24, 2003 at 07:34 PM »
Who knows? Baka by Christmas, ibalik na ng Destiny ang MNET dun sa mga "Reserved Channels" nila...  ::)

hmmmm. parang may alam ka hankey... share naman... he he he...  :P

On the hilarious Operacao this week, there was one really funny number: As one of the potential evictees sang "I'm Like A Bird," her backup dancers... you guessed it - were dressed AS BIG WHITE BIRDS, doing bird-like movements during the verses and wildly flapping their wings during the refrain.

Television doesn't get any better than that. ;D

bwa ha ha ha! can't wait for the saturday rerun para mapanood ko ito for myself? actually i was remembering the "endless love" number last week(?) kung saan for the finalé... babalutan sila ng pulang tela ng dalawang dancers! hilarious! LOL.

BTW, my cousin from madrid tells me medyo dismal daw yung ratings ng OT3 (sabi sa "tabloids" dun)... the best pa rin daw yung 2 followed by 1... baka nga daw hindi na magka OT4... oh well... it was fun while it lasted...  :-\

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Nov 25, 2003 at 08:31 AM »
and with today's gala we bid adieu to OT españa's first openly gay concursantes... israel.

it seems to me na umaabot na sa point where the "survivors" are no longer as emotional about someone leaving... that happens naman talaga eh.

the world must be about to end... ramon was saved by the "profesores"... W-H-Y??!!

isn't it odd how the wheel turns ... one day you're a "favorito"... the next, you're a "nominada"... poor leticia.

living for the day vicente will be one of the "en peligros"...  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Nov 25, 2003 at 08:00 PM »
Okay, Operacion Triunfo is beginning to give Operacao Triunfo a run for its money:
  • I’ve don’t think I’ve seen Feelings performed ANYWHERE in the last 20 years. And they could actually sing it with straight faces!

• Okay, the Uga-Chaka choreography for Hooked on a Feeling was way over the top. Was Mario supposed to be the dancing baby from Ally McBeal? And what the heck was up with the feeding each other a banana? ;D

• Nuria. I wonder how much money she makes as an official mourner/crier at funerals?
But I will say this: at least the cion people can all actually sing. I don't think there's a single person on cao who can.  ::)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Nov 25, 2003 at 09:47 PM »
maybe i'm just too bias coz i liked her from the start (but yeah... she's the "emotional one"... she even admits it.  ::)) but i was just sooooo impressed with nuria's performance with luis fosi!!! grabe!!! i felt the hairs in my body stand on end... the camera work was pretty spot on... last time that happened was when ainhoa sang "sobrevivere" the first time! wow!

BTW, was so sleepy... i didn't catch kung saang animated film galing yung kanta... i saw clips of the cartoon flashing sa background... i didn't tape the show kaya i can't review it... anyone?

as for feelings.... that's europeans for ya... :P

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 09:44 AM »
I finally got my DVD of Fame Academy 2003. Nice to actually watch this type of show and get to understand everything the teachers/judges are saying.  ;D

They changed the voting system this year, and I'm not sure it's for the better. You don't get any time to try to build yourself up if you're in the bottom three. From the way the disc plays, it's like the audience votes for their favorites, then from the bottom 3 on that same night, the judges save one, then the contestants choose who to ultimately save. There's no "probation" period. That gets rid of a lot of the psychological tension for the players in danger of being voted off, making the show not as much fun as it was the first time around.

The vocal performances from this year's contestants are top-notch. I was happy with the winner, but wasn't particularly rooting for anyone.

But I still think it's pretty sucky that instead of doing the weekly performance show at a large studio, they do it in the tiny revamped hall of the Academy itself. Makes you wonder how badly the budget was slashed for the second season that they had to resort to such.

No spoilers since I know several of you on this thread will get to see the disc really soon.  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2003 at 10:04 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Dec 01, 2003 at 10:37 AM »
Nothing funny to report on Operacao Triunfo this week. Just something good!

They came up with A TWIST:

Much like the current installment of Survivor, this week, all of the contestants previously voted off had a chance to perform again with a chance of being saved - one would be brought back into the Academy by audience vote. Of course, to accomodate all of these performers, it was an all-duet night. It's a good thing that the one who got voted back in wasn't one of those who were radically out-of-tune.

Very interesting twist. Hopefully the other franchises can do something like this, since you do get great performers who "accidentally" get voted off (like AI's Tamyra Gray).

Unfortunately for Andre, after being voted back in, he's also one of the two on probation this week.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: American Idol: Christmas Songs
« Reply #172 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 01:18 AM »

American Idol: Christmas Songs

December 17, 8:00PM/11:30PM, on Star World

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 02:10 AM »
heh heh... my calendar is marked...thankie, hanky... ;D

did you guys read about justin guarini being dropped by his label... supposedly due to POOR album sales... wa wa naman.  ;D

oh yeah... i saw the aussie idol in a "tabloid"-esque mag in (of all places) mercury drugstore... he went bald daw after winning... apparently he has HUGE hair pala (really wild!!). from his appearance... i wonder if he's part aborigine...  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2003 at 02:12 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 02:37 AM »
just heard some news. Simon Cowell will be one of the judges in World Idol.
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 02:48 AM »
just heard some news. Simon Cowell will be one of the judges in World Idol.

i think it's only proper... isn't he the only judge that appears on TWO franchises of the show: pop idol and americal idol?

recently read in interview with him on billboard.com and he mentions that the contestants in american idol sing a lot better than the contestants in the UK. (on that, we agree...  ;D) i wonder if this is any indication on how he'll be judging during the "world idol."
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2003 at 02:49 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 10:55 AM »
heh heh... my calendar is marked...thankie, hanky... ;D

You're welcome. I'm actually hoping this is the start of Star World bringing the franchise to the Asian audience, seeing how AI 3 begins in January. But I think that's just wishful thinking.  ;D

did you guys read about justin guarini being dropped by his label... supposedly due to POOR album sales... wa wa naman.  ;D

I remember reading about what his potential problem was when he was still a contestant on the show. A record producer said it'd be hard to market Justin successfully if he won, due to his mixed ethnicity - can't market him as black, can't market him as white. No main target audience. I guess that guy was right

Sadly, it's not the first time a runner-up on one of these shows was dropped by a record label due to poor sales. I guess you really need to win...

Think Nuria will survive the axe this week? I think she gave a save-worthy performance.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 11:37 PM »
You're welcome. I'm actually hoping this is the start of Star World bringing the franchise to the Asian audience, seeing how AI 3 begins in January. But I think that's just wishful thinking.  ;DI remember reading about what his potential problem was when he was still a contestant on the show. A record producer said it'd be hard to market Justin successfully if he won, due to his mixed ethnicity - can't market him as black, can't market him as white. No main target audience. I guess that guy was right

Sadly, it's not the first time a runner-up on one of these shows was dropped by a record label due to poor sales. I guess you really need to win...

Think Nuria will survive the axe this week? I think she gave a save-worthy performance.

you may be right about the problem with justin guarini... but honestly, is that really an issue? i mean look at justin timberlake... he's so white but he still was able to capture a black audience... (thanks to collaborations with other multi-racial acts like the neptunes and black eyes peas.)

i think guarini's album was simply trying too hard... it seems to lack the kind of pop sensibilities that oozed out of kelly's album (it also doesn't hurt to have clive davis as your producer). ;D

i hope nuria stays... i am seriously rooting for that girl.  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Dec 09, 2003 at 05:29 PM »
i hope nuria stays... i am seriously rooting for that girl.

Sorry, spiff.  :-\

;)

Hey, what happened? Why was the voting like that, with points per judge shown? Finals na ba next week? How many people get into the finals, anyway? I'm used to the Fame Academy system, where there are only three contestants left for The Finals.

What did the host say to Beatriz? Would she be given a free chance to join again next year, if there's an Operacion Triunfo 4?

Sorry.. a lot of questions. Language barrier...  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2003 at 05:30 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Dec 10, 2003 at 03:53 AM »
i know... i feel sorry for nuria... but i have to admit noelia did put out a great performance... nasapawan yung aretha franklin ni nuria. i'll be the first to admit na tama yung desisyon.

yup. that's exactly what he said... sayang kasi last year several contestants were injured din naman... pero they were allowed to continue... yun nga lang it was more than one... kawawa naman si bea... (isa lang kasi sya and the producers probably though this was a blessing kasi now they can shorten the no. of episodes since, as i mentioned earlier... the ratings are not as good this year... pati daw yung gala CDs bagsak ang sales). i'm not sure about her diagnosis, pero i think she has a fracture somewhere.

there are six finalists... so whoever is left after next week are the finalists na. in the final gala... they will be ranked according to their performances and the top three will be the ones to sing the 6 (or 9) songs nominated to represent spain in the eurovision... winning the contest (i.e. being first place) does not guarantee you'll go to the eurovision song contest.

the top three (ramon, davinia and miguel) in the last gala are assured of a spot in the finals... also assured are laeticia who was saved by the teachers and vicente, who was saved by the concursantes (W-H-Y?!!)... no one was saved by the judge since their votes became part of the computation for ranking. (dati naman ganun talaga... 4 lang ang en peligros... as you saw in operacao triunfo)

hey! wasn't it great when kelly clarkson visited the academy?! (forgot to mention this last last week pa!)  it was a short visit... but she sang! wow!  ;D

p.s. is it just me or is ramon putting out some pretty good performances lately... he's really come out of his shell and finally found his VOICE! merong boses pala ang mokong! it started about two galas ago. there's more to this guy pala than meets the eye (or ear, for that matter!)  ::)

if it were up to me... i'd rather see noelia go to the finals... pero thingS are shaping up that OT espana might have it's first GANADOR! ... and not a GANADORA!
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2003 at 04:05 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »