Author Topic: MNET Channel and International Reality Competition Singing Shows  (Read 239820 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re:MNET/Movie Magic on Destiny Cable: WOW!
« Reply #30 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 09:36 PM »

PRESIDIO MED is a medical drama about a team of hard-working physicians who run a tight-knit medical group adjacent to a hospital in San Francisco. At a time when the world of medicine is becoming more impersonal, the doctors at Presidio Medical Group set bureaucracy aside and put their patients first, forming trusting, long-term relationships. They are Dr. Harriet Lanning (Blythe Danner), a veteran ob/gyn who still loves getting up in the middle of the night to deliver babies; Dr. Rae Brennan (Dana Delany), an oncologist with a passionate, adventurous side; Dr. Letty Jordan (Anna Deavere Smith), a headstrong, in-your-face cardiologist; Dr. Jackie Colette (Sasha Alexander), a brash young plastic surgeon; Dr. Jules Keating (Julianne Nicholson), a confident and fiercely independent pediatrician; Dr. Nicholas Kokoris (Oded Fehr), a surgeon who has just moved to San Francisco from Greece to join Presidio Med -- and to hopefully continue an affair with one of the group's married physicians; and Dr. Matt Slingerland (Paul Blackthorne), a handsome renegade internist with a tendency to bend the rules. Although their personal beliefs, unique experiences and medical specialties are sometimes at odds, each of these professionals is committed to going beyond the examining table and connecting on a more personal level in support of their patients.

Airs every Thursday at 9PM on M-NET. The pilot episode aired tonight. Interesting, but a bit too heavy on the estrogen. Very inspired casting, though.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 07:41 AM »
I'm about halfway through Idols.

Uhmmm, Mr. Hankey, who's the one who doesn't find time to sleep now?  ;D

OH! You tape the shows ba? DAMN IT!!! I hope your VCR becomes dysfunctional!!! >:(

I'm sorry...I just miss my VCR.  :-[  ;D

Honestly though, I haven't seen any Idols or Big Brother episode on MNet yet. Kapag naka-catch up ako ng episode, sasali na ako sa usapan. You know naman na I'm also a sucker for reality shows.  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 09:09 AM »
I hope your VCR becomes dysfunctional!!!

I have a back-up.  :P

Honestly though, I haven't seen any Idols or Big Brother episode on MNet yet. Kapag naka-catch up ako ng episode, sasali na ako sa usapan.

I can't get into their Big Brother. It's difficult to understand them a bit, since they all have different African accents. Idols is okay, since they're mostly South African so the accent is common, and it's really just the singing/judges comments you listen to, anyway - not really conversations you need to understand. Problem lang if you can't tape it is it airs way too late, unless you're a vampire.  ::)

You know naman na I'm also a sucker for reality shows.

Yup... you're King among us Pinoy Reality junkies... I mean, who else has an original TAR route marker???  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2003 at 09:10 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 02:11 PM »
I can't get into their Big Brother. It's difficult to understand them a bit, since they all have different African accents. Idols is okay, since they're mostly South African so the accent is common, and it's really just the singing/judges comments you listen to, anyway - not really conversations you need to understand.

after watching BBA (big brother africa) for almost a week... medyo nasasanay na ako sa accents nila... i would of course prefer to watch the british or american versions pero this will do... for now. ::)

Problem lang if you can't tape it is it airs way too late, unless you're a vampire.  ::)

am i supposed to be offended with that last remark.... but it's true... i am a vampire. :o

Yup... you're King among us Pinoy Reality junkies... I mean, who else has an original TAR route marker???  ;)

all hail the king! LOL.  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 08:56 PM »
i would of course prefer to watch the british or american versions (of Big Brother) pero this will do... for now.

I have Big Brother Uncut (UK) Seasons 1-3 on DVD, with Season 4 on pre-order already...  8)

Scary, huh?  :P

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 10:29 PM »
I have Big Brother Uncut (UK) Seasons 1-3 on DVD, with Season 4 on pre-order already...  8)

Scary, huh?  :P

shocking!! quelle horror! but i'm sure that is TONS raunchier than the african counterpart... am i right? :P

pinapayaman mo naman masyado ang mga creators/producers ng show na yan... hee hee hee. :P

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 09, 2003 at 08:46 AM »
but i'm sure (BB UK) is TONS raunchier than the african counterpart... am i right?

Haven't seen enough of the African version to compare. But the UK one has cameras inside the shower. In BB1, one guy discussed performing in a live sex show in the Philippines; and there was the time 2 girls and 2 guys got naked, covered their bodies in mud, then made impressions of their nude bodies on the wall. BB2 had three naked girls in one tiny bathtub, beckoning a guy to "service" them.

May ganun ba sa Africa?  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #37 on: Aug 09, 2003 at 09:09 AM »
BB2 had three naked girls in one tiny bathtub, beckoning a guy to "service" them.

Did he?  ;)

I downloaded this clip of this Big Brother episode in some European country where they showed the couple going to the bedroom, putting pillows and matresses in all of the places they thought there was a hidden camera (good thing there was another cam they didn't know about) and then doing the dirty tango. That was cinema verite at its most entertaining.  :)

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 09, 2003 at 11:04 AM »
HAHAHA! Kayo ha...you have this thing for voyeurism ha?!!!  ;D

Question: Idols is in what part already? Wildcards? Top 10?  ???

King? Me? Pshaw! You could be "kings" too, you know. Try flirting with Reichen or Chip or Aaron or ChaChaCha or Al via email...hehe. ;D

[off-topic] Dave (ATC) sent out TAR flags (and other TAR souvenirs) to his fellow "Camerites" (fellow posters at a certain board). Sayang I came to that site a bit too late...hehe.  ;D [/off-topic]

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 09, 2003 at 01:08 PM »
Did he?

Nope. Duwag...  ::)

I downloaded this clip of this Big Brother episode in some European country where they showed the couple going to the bedroom, putting pillows and matresses in all of the places they thought there was a hidden camera (good thing there was another cam they didn't know about) and then doing the dirty tango. That was cinema verite at its most entertaining.

Ah, Big Brother Hungary! Teka, bakit ko alam yun? Rewind, rewind... ;)

Question: Idols is in what part already? Wildcards? Top 10?

First 6 in Top 10 already chosen. Final 8 this weekend for the next 2 slots, then wild card show for the last 2 slots next weekend.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2003 at 01:09 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:MNET/Movie Magic on Destiny Cable: Discussions of programs
« Reply #40 on: Aug 10, 2003 at 02:45 AM »
whoa! that's not raunchy! that's downright ... (i can't even say it!)

no. (unfortunately) BB Africa is not anything like that! although... if you register and look that gallery on the website... dun walang censorship! pakita na lahat ... even the shower cam! (pati si bayo, the fat guy... di nakawala!)

and as far as i know only 2 people in the BBA house are "getting it".

JEEEZUS! pati hungary pinatulan mo sir hanky! (now it makes me wonder how OT espana and FAMA brazil was being shown right under your nose unnoticed for the last 2 years...LOL.) how about BB france. di ba meron din sila?
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2003 at 02:51 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 10:42 PM »
JEEEZUS! pati hungary pinatulan mo sir hanky! (now it makes me wonder how OT espana and FAMA brazil was being shown right under your nose unnoticed for the last 2 years...LOL.)

The BB Hungary clip was very controversial, it turned up on Reality TV forums last year and was endlessly linked to.

What is FAMA Brazil? Is that like the UK's FAME ACADEMY? Speaking of which, I also have a DVD of that latter one. Hehehe! I actually prefer that show to the IDOLS franchise, since it's like a cross between IDOLS and BIG BROTHER. The best of both worlds.

Did you watch this week's IDOLS, Spiff? I think Anke, Michelle and Irene will make the hotseats for final three.

Pero si Palesa yung binoto ko... ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2003 at 10:47 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 11:35 PM »
Galing naman ni Mr. Hankey, reality TV guru.  ;D

Mr. Hankey, aside from BB Hungary, would you know of other, umm, infamous reality TV show clips?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 12, 2003 at 03:01 AM »
The BB Hungary clip was very controversial, it turned up on Reality TV forums last year and was endlessly linked to.

What is FAMA Brazil? Is that like the UK's FAME ACADEMY? Speaking of which, I also have a DVD of that latter one. Hehehe! I actually prefer that show to the IDOLS franchise, since it's like a cross between IDOLS and BIG BROTHER. The best of both worlds.

Did you watch this week's IDOLS, Spiff? I think Anke, Michelle and Irene will make the hotseats for final three.

Pero si Palesa yung binoto ko... ;)

ha ha ha... i like watching reality TV shows... pero it's only now that i have gone as far as actually turning to the internet for info. ;D

yes. fama brasil  is exactly like fame academy of the UK... but i think they have renamed the show to "operacao triunfo" or something like that... OT espana is also just like that... i think lahat ng franchise ng star academy follow the same formula... a cross between "pop idol" and "big brother". kaya nga i LOOOOOVE those shows. frustrated singer kaya ako??? hmmmmmm. LOL.

(did you watch the EUROBEST competition?... the winners of the franchise from spain, uk, russia, france, greece, etc... all competed to find out who was the best...the spanish winner was replaced from one of the cast members from last year kasi she had her throat operated on... and that replacement actually WON!!! i think the uk rep was a black guy... the judges were the headmasters from each franchise. it was a close points race between spain and france!)

yes. i saw the show last night...  i'm personally rooting for anke! she was great... the guys IMO all stank! if one of them gets in... then he doesn't deserve it! (i'm specifically referring to wafeeq. definite boy band material.)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 12, 2003 at 05:53 PM »
Mr. Hankey, aside from BB Hungary, would you know of other, umm, infamous reality TV show clips?

Yun lang talaga. The rest I know of are just nudity or under-the-covers stuff. But I'll keep you posted.  ;D

yes. fama brasil  is exactly like fame academy of the UK... but i think they have renamed the show to "operacao triunfo" or something like that... OT espana is also just like that...

Can't see myself watching either of those even if I knew the schedule since aren't they in Portuguese and Spanish respectively?

did you watch the EUROBEST competition? i think the uk rep was a black guy... the judges were the headmasters from each franchise.

I didn't see it, but that was Lemar. He was the judge's favorite so they never placed him on probation, but as soon as the public had a chance to vote him off... I'm intentionally not saying more in case you haven't seen FAME ACADEMY so I don't spoil it if you get a chance to.

yes. i saw the show last night...  i'm personally rooting for anke! she was great... the guys IMO all stank! if one of them gets in... then he doesn't deserve it! (i'm specifically referring to wafeeq. definite boy band material.)

Your fault! Karma tuloy. Haha! He's the cousin of Nazneen. Singing must be in the genes, but she got the good ones.  ::)

Did you see on the site? M-NET is currently negotiating for the rights to the UK's Pop Idol 2, for airing on... The Series Channel. Let's write Destiny and tell them to replace Movie Magic with Series, since most of Movie Magic's films are shown on M-NET, anyway.

Then all of us will no longer get any sleep.  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 03:11 AM »
Can't see myself watching either of those even if I knew the schedule since aren't they in Portuguese and Spanish respectively?

i don't really follow fama brasil... pero it piqued my interest kasi ang galing nung winner nila! (only to discover later on that it was being shown on one of the foreign language channels on cable! currently channel 84 sa destiny... i think. i caught it one morning a couple of months ago!) she performed during a special for OT espana along with italy and mexico's winner. and the brasileƱa blew them all away... i think i taped that show... ma-revisit nga... it's called the "gala ganadores"... winners gala.

i'm not fluent in spanish or portugese... kaya i watch OT with a dictionary in hand... funny 'noh? LOL.

I didn't see it, but that was Lemar. He was the judge's favorite so they never placed him on probation, but as soon as the public had a chance to vote him off... I'm intentionally not saying more in case you haven't seen FAME ACADEMY so I don't spoil it if you get a chance to.

so he wasn't the winner as well? hmmm. kaya pala i was so disappointed with his performance.

Your fault! Karma tuloy. Haha! He's the cousin of Nazneen. Singing must be in the genes, but she got the good ones.  ::)

oo nga! i was so shocked! that boy got in on appeal alone... he's so low on talent! cute lang sya kaya i'll bet all those african girls prolly voted him! at least anke got in!
the good news is ... zama (miss you-can't-hurry-love) got in the wildcards! yay!

Did you see on the site? M-NET is currently negotiating for the rights to the UK's Pop Idol 2, for airing on... The Series Channel. Let's write Destiny and tell them to replace Movie Magic with Series, since most of Movie Magic's films are shown on M-NET, anyway.

sana nga! i'll try to call our rep tomorrow! ;D i want series TV!!!

Then all of us will no longer get any sleep.  ;D

it's happening for me already! dahil sa big brother! that mwisho is such an arsehole!  :-X

p.s. kakahintay sa big brother... na-a-adik na rin ako sa american dreams! haaaay! :-\
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2003 at 03:45 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 01:22 AM »
Sorry guys. I tried to catch Big Brother and Idols the other day and all I saw were Sexy Beast followed by Amelie. It seems that we have a different MNET channel after all. Bummer.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 11:34 AM »
Sorry guys. I tried to catch Big Brother and Idols the other day and all I saw were Sexy Beast followed by Amelie. It seems that we have a different MNET channel after all. Bummer.

If it's two consecutive movies at that hour, then it must be MM and not M-NET that you guys have.  :-\

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 12:34 PM »
But it has the MNET symbol...we already have 2 MMs. MM1 and MM2.  :-\

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 12:39 PM »
That's odd. You might be getting one of the different feeds, not the MNET West one. The schedules/times are a little different. But it shouldn't affect the IDOLS results show, since that one is really live. Hmm... weird.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 02:01 PM »
iba nga ang programming ng mnet west and mnet domestic...

i noticed for example that mnet domestic doesn't have oprah... while mnet west (which is what destiny is airing) does.

also... daily ang "american dreams" sa west... while weekly sya sa domestic.  :-\

Offline hashpipe

• Collector
  • Indiefreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 05:53 PM »
Ang gulo...there's an mnet Domestic, mnet West (Africa, W4), mnet East (Africa, W4). I don't even know kung saan yung amin doon. Basta it was Tuesday, around 3AM, Sexy Beast ang palabas. Then natapos yung movie, akala ko Idols na. Biglang Amelie ang ipinalabas. Natulog na lang uli ako.  :-\

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 06:06 PM »
Ang gulo...there's an mnet Domestic, mnet West (Africa, W4), mnet East (Africa, W4). I don't even know kung saan yung amin doon. Basta it was Tuesday, around 3AM, Sexy Beast ang palabas. Then natapos yung movie, akala ko Idols na. Biglang Amelie ang ipinalabas. Natulog na lang uli ako.  :-\

baka nga mas friendly ang oras sa sched ninyo hashpipe. baka umaga na (as in may araw na!) ang idols and big brother sa inyo. and not in the wee hours of the AM... like our "west sched"... i know only the results show of idols (3:30 AM Tuesday) and the nomination/eviction show of big brother (3AM Monday) are live.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2003 at 06:08 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 08:38 PM »
i know only the results show of idols (3:30 AM Tuesday) and the nomination/eviction show of big brother (3AM Monday) are live.

I think that even though it's taped, the performance show of IDOLS is also broadcast simultaneously on all MNET networks, since there's the specific time period viewers are allowed to vote.

When they're down to the top 10, I wonder if it'll actually be live, or still just "taped-as-live."

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 15, 2003 at 11:06 PM »
I am so moving back to Destiny after The Amazing race is done.  ;D

I just realized that sky really sucks. The lifestyle channel  has more cooking shows and less interior decorating shows than i care to watch. The star channels aren't that  interesting too.  I miss my tech tv and FOX news.

I heard though that the NTC or whatever governing body it is that is in charge of cable will be issuing a law or something that not providing a certain channel to all cable providers that are willing to pay for em will be illegal.

sana sana.
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 16, 2003 at 12:29 AM »
Heads up:

If any of you missed Survivor: Marquesas since it only aired on Studio 23 and was the first of the series not be shown on AXN, the series starts on M-NET this Sunday, 12:30AM, replacing Alias.

Offline Erymel

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 17, 2003 at 12:45 AM »
Just found this out, was waiting for Alias and they show Marquesas instead, what gives? Anybody know if Alias will be back?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 17, 2003 at 07:47 AM »
after survivor marquesas has finished it's run.. malamang alias will be back.  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 17, 2003 at 05:47 PM »
I wasn't watching Alias on this channel, but I'm assuming last week's episode was the Season Finale? The show should be back for its new season in a few months.

Spiff, did you see the Idols special they aired mid-week, where they featured the contestants from all the different African countries who made the Top 100? Some were really bad, huh?  8)

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #59 on: Aug 17, 2003 at 09:13 PM »
I heard though that the NTC or whatever governing body it is that is in charge of cable will be issuing a law or something that not providing a certain channel to all cable providers that are willing to pay for em will be illegal.

sana sana.
sana nga NTC does something quickly! Parang walang political will e the state owns the airwaves. Pinapatay nila ang Destiny kasi virtually debt free sila while Sky is buried in debt by billions! I confess I switched to Sky kasi I miss the Monday comedy shows of StarWorld like Everybody loves Raymond and FRasier. Pero I also love the movies on MM. Saw Ride with the devil by Ang Lee last night.