Author Topic: Typical Filipino Films  (Read 48932 times)

Offline Downhill Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I have Buffy. You don't.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Things You'd Never Know Without The Movies
« Reply #30 on: Sep 07, 2002 at 11:40 PM »
Eto pa!

For Filipino movies (I mentioned some of these in another post):

-Most family films have a song and dance number that takes place in a national park or a beach resort (with the resort's logo blatantly showing in the background).

-If Hollywood has the Token Black Guy, we have the Token Gay Best Friend.

-In action movies, cars that always get blown up are circa 1980's models or earlier (wala nang budget to blow up any newer cars).

-Climactic scenes always take place in an abandoned warehouse where the leather jacket-clad hero and the bandana-wearing villain hide behind strategically-placed steel drums and attempt to outwit each other by shouting out clever one-liners. It is here wherein the movie's title is blurted out.

-Most dramas have a sneering villainess with a masterful raised eyebrow, who is usually richer than the heroine.

-In teen love stories, the girl always starts off by being mataray towards the courting guy, but suddenly turns nice and likes him back during the last 30 minutes of the film.

- Also, teen movies aren't just content with focusing on the two leading heartthrobs- both the guy and the girl MUST have token barkada members (often dancers from an uso dance group), all of whom say nothing more than- "Sige na, pare, lapitan mo!", "Uuuuyy!", or "Keeeess!"

-In horror films, whenever the monster is seen, it is often underlit by a mysterious light source coming from underneath it that wasn't there before.

-"Killer" is pronounced "Keeler", as in-"Sandra, kilala ko na kung sino yung Keeler!"

-All boldies do their love scenes while vainly attempting to block the camera from filming their boobs by covering them with their forearms.

-All leading men, when doing pool or beach scenes, are in trunks! I mean, who wears trunks nowadays??? 60 year old Europeans wear trunks! Someone explain the concept of boardshorts to the costume department.

And finally:

-All visiting Amboys/girls or Fil-Canadians who are 15-25 years of age and are fairly attractive must give local showbiz a try. It's the law now.

Offline Garuda

• Collector
  • You give love a bad name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Sep 08, 2002 at 12:46 AM »
Let me add another to your list, Downhill:

After a love-making scene, the woman ALWAYS tries very hard to cover her body with sheets. Since it is supposed to be only the two of them in the room, she must be playing coy with the guy who just porked her.  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2002 at 12:49 AM by Garuda »

Offline qwerty765

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #32 on: Sep 10, 2002 at 10:12 PM »
I always noticed sa hollywood movies na they don't lock their vehicles when they get off, as if walang carnapping sa US.

Naka lock lang yung kotse kapag yung bida ay nagmamadali dahil may humahabol sa kanya, tapos di pa maipasok pasok yung susi at pag minalas malas pa eh mahuhulog pa yung susi, tapos kung di ba naman talaga pinaglihi sa malas eh nabuksan nga yung kotse pero ayaw namang mag start

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 10, 2002 at 10:22 PM »
in addition to qwerty765's observation, car doors are also almost always locked if the key is in the ignition...  ;D
peace man!

Offline Downhill Boy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 01:05 AM »
Also...

Hollywood male leads always reply with a shy "I don't dance" when asked to by their leading ladies, but DO SO eventually, and its always a WALTZ.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 09:18 AM »
-If Hollywood has the Token Black Guy, we have the Token Gay Best Friend.

Or the token babaeng-bakla best friend. ;D  Hehe, this is is a funny thread, keep 'em coming!

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 10:02 PM »
The guy's best friend is usually not good looking and someone you can refer to as "the funny one".

In a barkada, there's the usual stupid guy, the fat guy, the nerd guy and they all look like personal assistant to the good looking guy.

In sports movies or competition, can anyone tell me if there was any leading actor/actress who lost the first prize in the end?

8)
k

Offline Downhill Boy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 10:58 PM »

In sports movies or competition, can anyone tell me if there was any leading actor/actress who lost the first prize in the end?

8)
k

In Bring It On, Kirsten Dunst's team lost to the chearleaders from the 'hood.

In Cool Runnings, the Jamaican Team lost because their bobsled fell apart in the end.  :'(

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 02:12 AM »
don't forget "tin cup" , where kevin costner lost to don johnson on the 18th hole, playing the U.S. Open  :) . he eventually "won" rene russo's hheart though  ;)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 06:55 AM »

In Bring It On, Kirsten Dunst's team lost to the chearleaders from the 'hood.

In Cool Runnings, the Jamaican Team lost because their bobsled fell apart in the end.  :'(

It was just common sense that they both lost.  Otherwise, it would have been really disgusting if they won after what happened.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 06:56 AM »
don't forget "tin cup" , where kevin costner lost to don johnson on the 18th hole, playing the U.S. Open  :) . he eventually "won" rene russo's hheart though  ;)

They both won. Everybody's happy.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 08:26 AM »
The guy's best friend is usually not good looking and someone you can refer to as "the funny one".

In a barkada, there's the usual stupid guy, the fat guy, the nerd guy and they all look like personal assistant to the good looking guy.

This "formula" is also seen in many Hong Kong/Chinese movies. So hindi lang Pinoy ang guilty. ;D

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re:Typical Filipino Films
« Reply #42 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 08:00 AM »
Howcome FIlipino sexy films always based their titles on veggies and fruits?

Pinya
Buko
Talong

do such terms trigger something in a filipino's mind? hmmm?

ano pa ba?? Highly appreciate ur response on this...
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 07:43 PM »
Whenever there is a office scene, more often than not it is set in an advertising agency with an ongoing presentation. The lead star usually plays the role of the creative head!

In our comedies, expect a beach scene(complete with flags) where they all break into a cheezy song and dance number!

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2002 at 12:00 PM »
Whenever there is a office scene, more often than not it is set in an advertising agency with an ongoing presentation. The lead star usually plays the role of the creative head!

OO nga noh.. it is always an advertising firm..

Howcome kaya? all creative ideas be presented in an advertising firm? hmmmm

Add-On.. over ang english spokening during presentation... and after the presentation a boss or an officemate would approach the lead lady and mention the question "Do you have plans tonight?"

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 23, 2002 at 02:41 PM »
Speaking of advertising and Tagalog movies...sobrang garapalan ang advertising within Pinoy movies.  Kung iinom ng kape ang bida, naka-harap ang label ng kape sa foreground.  Si Inday kumuha ng ice cream sa freezer, patagilid ang buhat sa container para kita ang label.  Pathetic!  Kulang na lang kasama sa linya ng artista to push the product.

Here's more:  Promo billboards and posters of Pinoy movies in the past couple of years started to have little logos of advertising sponsors.  Now the movie poster is an advertiment in itself.  

Take this as an example: from the billboard for the movie "Geenie, Bakit Ngayon ka Lang?" (Judy Ann Santos & Robin Padilla starrer)  in EDSA-Guadalupe.  Under the title "Geenie, Bakit Ngayon ka Lang?" came a line that said: "Bumibili pa kasi ako ng Leonardo bags" then a backback appeared to have been digitally added at the back of their "image model".  KAKATAWA NA NAKAKAASAR! >:(

I can take Hollywood's very subtle advertising (passing by a Coke vendo machine; drinking Starbucks at the police station or lighting up a Marlboro, RayBans for the MIB).  I've read somewhere that placements for these subtle ads is more expensive compared to traditional advertising.  Why don't they just do the same here if producers really need the funds?  Don't insult the Pinoy movie-goers!  STOP HARDSELLING IN MOVIES!   >:(
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2002 at 06:14 PM by ßa®tmaniac »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 23, 2002 at 11:32 PM »
Bart, Your Puso... Take it easy..

I rather recommend you post at pet peeves ;D

OO nga noh.. getting an ice cream gallon from the freezer side view...  ;D

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 02:55 AM »
just saw Trip tonight on S23 out of curiosity - wasn't this a major 2001 blockbuster?

typical filipino movie... it was a comedy, drama, music video all rolled into one. i actually found the script quite bizaare and too soap opera-ish: marvin agustin (the narrator/nerd of the movie) has some sort of luke-leia-han triangle going with kristine hermosa ("mommy" of the group attached to barkada bad boy) and Paolo Contis (barkada bad boy). apparently at the end of the movie it is revealed that Marvin and Kristine are secret half-siblings who share the same father! this among other things... one thing's for sure: I HATE JOHN PRATTS. the boy CANNOT act to save his life. someone please teach this boy ow to act! and jericho rosales is hot.

i found the other pinoy movie showing on ABS more intriguing -- FPJ's Acedillo (?) where he plays some sort of revolutionary. nicely shot and if i'm not mistaken, they actually utilized live sound (or maybe the dubbing was really excellent). they don't make movies like that anymore. very crisp video transfer pa -- i guess FPJ takes good care of his possessions.

Offline tina

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 11:57 PM »
Why bother watching Filipino films at all when you can save yourself two hours and watch a condensed version in the trailers instead?

I've noticed recently that Hollywood movies are starting to use the "tell the whole story in the trailer" technique our films have been using for YEARS.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 09:41 AM »
Tingnan niyo trailer ng LASTIK MAN (the Vic Sotto starred new Filipino Film)

Ayan na... hindi pa rin perfected ang CG effects sa Pinas..

The Typical.. if there is a special CG effect taking place ayun... meroon letterbox or black bars on top and bottom of the screen..

if you thought I was hallucinating.. rent the following FILMS!

1. Spirit Warriors
2. Bahay ni Lola
3. Yamacrapa

and behold the typical sprouting black bars!!

Offline flint2022

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 04:53 PM »
Pansin ko lang

- Sa action films, pag bulok yung sinasakyan ng bida, sigurado sasabog yun.
- Dalawa lagi ang natitira. Yung bida at yung kontrabidang boss. Magsisigawan ng katakot-takot. Tapos babanggitin nung bida yung title ng Pelikula.
- Palaging huli ang mga pulis o kaya kasabwat yung mga pulis.
- Kalaban ay puro sindikato. Papatayin ang mga mahal sa buhay kaya maghihiganti at ilalagay ang batas sa mga kamay  ;D
- Siguradong may sidekick na komedyante.
- Sa mga horror movies, kuba ang palaging nagbubukas ng pinto tapos sasara mag-isa ang pinto.
- Palaging may lumulutang na kabaong o kaya kandila.
- Sa mga comedy films, palaging pangit at matatanda yung mga lalake tapos magkakagusto yung bata, seksi at magandang babae.
- Pag may chasing scene, sigurado masasagasaan ang mga tindang prutas
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2003 at 04:55 PM by flint2022 »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 05:56 PM »
Why bother watching Filipino films at all when you can save yourself two hours and watch a condensed version in the trailers instead?

I've noticed recently that Hollywood movies are starting to use the "tell the whole story in the trailer" technique our films have been using for YEARS.

This worked for Ashley Judd's Double Jeopardy but backfired in Katie Holmes' Abandon.

Latest example of showing w/o telling trailer "Signs"
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 09:07 AM »
Self proclaimed Action Stars ( WHo also directed/starred and even Produced their film) like Japanese Actor Jackie Woo and Ronald Gan have some cheesy action sequence whenever they make films...

And obviously check out their plot.. its simply simply TYPICAL (u knwo what I mean)

I guess because of the very tight budget allocation...

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 05:57 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

I noticed over the years kapag may action movie na ginagawa halos pare-pareho ang tema...."pinatay mong nanay at tatay ko" or "pinatay mo ang pamilya...papatayin ko kayong lahat!!!!"

And there would always be the scene where the "hero" and the "villain" would talk to each other before continuing with the firefight!! hehehe!  very typical talaga!!   ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Typical Filipino Films
« Reply #54 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 06:20 PM »
I hope they can twist the genre a bit like what Jeturian did with our sex films in Tuhog.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline pumpy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 17, 2003 at 08:14 PM »
One way of solving this problem is to do the following:

1. ban Hollywood movies;

2. regulate the Philippine film industry by pulling it out of the free market loop (i.e., all profits above a cap goes to a non-profit org, which will use them to preserve old films);

3. use the same non-profit org to hold competitions, where only prize-winning scripts will be turned into film by prize-winning directors, actors, and film crews.

The "light a little candle" way? Turn PinoyDVD into a real "Pinoy" DVD. Encourage every member to invest 1:1 (i.e., for every peso or dollar spent on a typical Hollywood movie on DVD, a peso or dollar should be spent on getting a non-mainstream movie). Encourage small groups to hold film sessions, and talk about these experiences in the forums. Encourage sellers to bring in these non-mainstream films at lower costs. Etc. etc.

Enough with the "That's noble, but..." excuse. Sayang naman. May hobby na, edukado pa, puwede pang maggamit 'yan.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #56 on: Apr 17, 2003 at 09:31 PM »
Pansin ko lang

- Sa action films, pag bulok yung sinasakyan ng bida, sigurado sasabog yun.
- Dalawa lagi ang natitira. Yung bida at yung kontrabidang boss. Magsisigawan ng katakot-takot. Tapos babanggitin nung bida yung title ng Pelikula.
- Palaging huli ang mga pulis o kaya kasabwat yung mga pulis.
- Kalaban ay puro sindikato. Papatayin ang mga mahal sa buhay kaya maghihiganti at ilalagay ang batas sa mga kamay  ;D
- Siguradong may sidekick na komedyante.
- Sa mga horror movies, kuba ang palaging nagbubukas ng pinto tapos sasara mag-isa ang pinto.
- Palaging may lumulutang na kabaong o kaya kandila.
- Sa mga comedy films, palaging pangit at matatanda yung mga lalake tapos magkakagusto yung bata, seksi at magandang babae.
- Pag may chasing scene, sigurado masasagasaan ang mga tindang prutas

Additional observation:

1. In almost all Filipino movies the main characters always find an  excuse to go on a picnic in some beautiful outdoor location or go to the beach.

2. Lahat ng dialogue ng characters archaic Pilipino words ang ginagamit. Ex: Inay, bakit mo kami iniwan nila Itay! Ngayon ay wala nang mag-aalaga sa aming mga magkakapatid! Not even our maids talk like that.

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Apr 18, 2003 at 12:14 AM »
So-called art films are always flooded by prostitutes or anything related to flesh-trade...

Offline lazy_maze

• Collector
  • You imbecile!!
  • Liked:
Great List of Movie Cliches
« Reply #58 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 05:00 PM »
 ;D

-A detective can only solve a case once he has been suspended from duty.
-A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating but will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.
-A single match will be sufficient to light up a room the size of RFK Stadium.
-Action heroes never face charges for manslaughter or criminal damage despite laying entire cities to waste.
-All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red readouts so you know exactly when they're going to go off.
-All beds have special L-shaped cover sheets which reach up to the armpit level on a woman but only to waist level on the man lying beside her.
-All telephone numbers in America begin with the digits 555.
-All grocery shopping bags contain at least one stick of French Bread.
-An electric fence, powerful enough to kill a dinosaur will cause no lasting damage to an eight year old child.
-Any person waking from a nightmare will sit bolt upright and pant.
-Any lock can be picked by a credit card or a paper clip in seconds. Unless it's the door to a burning building with a child trapped inside.
-Cars and trucks that crash will almost always burst into flames.
-Creepy music coming from a graveyard should always be closely investigated.
-Dogs always know who's bad and will naturally bark at them.
-During all police investigations it will be necessary to visit a strip club at least once.
-During a very emotional confrontation, instead of facing the person you are speaking to, it is customary to stand behind them and talk to their back.
-Even when driving down a perfectly straight road, it is necessary to turn the steering wheel vigorously from left to right every few moments.
-Everyone knows the words to every song you want to sing and will sing along with you. They can even carry the solo part so that they can sing the song back to you, even if they have never heard the song until you sang half of it.
-Guns are like disposable razors. If you run out of bullets, just throw the gun away. You can always find a new one laying around the next time you need one.
-Having a job of any kind will make all fathers forget their son's eighth birthday.
-If you need to reload your gun, you will always have more ammunition -- even if you haven't been carrying any before now.
-If you decide to start dancing in the street, everyone you bump into will know all the steps.
-If your town is threatened by an imminent natural disaster or killer beast, the mayor's first concern will be the tourist trade or his forthcoming art exhibition.
-If a large pane of glass is visible, someone will be thrown through it before long.
-If being chased through town, you can usually take cover in a passing St. Patrick's Day parade at any time of the year.If a killer is lurking in your house, it's easy to find him. Just relax and run a bath. Even if it's the middle of the afternoon.
-If a phone line is broken, communication can be restored by frantically pressing the cradle switch and saying, "Hello? Hello?"
-If there is a deranged killer on the loose, this will coincide with a thunderstorm that has brought down all the power and phone lines in the vicinity.
-If staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange noises in their most revealing underwear.
-Interbreeding is genetically possible with any creature from elsewhere in the universe.
-It is not necessary to say hello or goodbye when beginning or ending phone conversations.
-It is always possible to park directly outside the building you are visiting.
-It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts -- your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors.
-It's easy for anyone to land a plane providing there is someone in the control tower to talk you down.
-Kitchens don't have light switches. When entering a -kitchen at night, you should open the fridge door and use that light instead.
-Make-up can safely be worn to bed without smudging.
-Many musical instruments, especially wind instruments and accordions, can be played without moving the fingers.
-Medieval peasants had perfect teeth.
-Most people keep a scrapbook of newspaper cuttings, especially if any of their family or friends has died in a strange boating accident.
-Most dogs are immortal.
-Most laptop computers are powerful enough to override the communication systems of any invading alien civilization.
-Mothers routinely cook eggs, bacon and waffles for their family every morning even though their husband and children never have time to eat it.
-No matter how badly a spaceship is attacked, its internal gravity system is never damaged.
-Once applied, lipstick will never rub off -- even while scuba diving.
-One man shooting at 20 men has a better chance of killing them all than 20 men firing at one.
-Police Departments give their officers personality tests to make sure they are deliberately assigned a partner who is their total opposite.
-Rather than wasting bullets, megalomaniacs prefer to kill their arch-enemies using complicated machinery involving fuses, pulley systems, deadly gases, lasers and man eating sharks that will allow their captives at least 20 minutes to escape.
-Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, it will not be necessary to speak the language. A German accent will do.
-Stripping to the waist can make a man invulnerable to bullets.
-Television news bulletins usually contain a story that affects you personally at that precise moment.
-The Chief of Police is always black.
-The ventilation system of any building is the perfect hiding place. No one will ever think of looking for you in there and you can travel to any other part of the building you want without difficulty.
-The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window in Paris.
-When they are alone, all foreigners prefer to speak English to each other.
-When you turn out the light to go to bed, everything in your room will still be clearly visible, just slightly bluish.
-When a person is knocked unconscious by a blow to the head, they will never suffer a concussion or brain damage.
-When paying for a taxi, don't look at your wallet as you take out a bill. Just grab one at random and hand it over. It will always be the exact fare.
-Word processors never display a cursor on screen but will always say: Enter Password Now.
-You can always find a chainsaw whenever you're likely to need one.
-You're very likely to survive any battle in any war unless you make the mistake of showing someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

(from:harrisonline.com)
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2003 at 05:01 PM by lazy_maze »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
Re:Great List of Movie Cliches
« Reply #59 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 05:32 PM »
Redemption.